Mountaineer Casino

6 reviews filtered by
2.4
Joseph L. Billhimer, Jr.
1 Rating

1. "Good casino stepping stone"

Former Employee - Table Games Dealer
    Former Employee - Table Games Dealer

I worked at Mountaineer Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee benefits, break room, friendly atmosphere, regular clientele.

Cons

It feels like everyone at this employer is expendable and can replaced at any time. Value all the employees more.

Advice to Management

Value the suggestions from the employees more to help the company.

2. The workplace environment could be very uncomfortable, very unfair politics. So how you did depended on who you knew.

Former Employee - Marketing Department in Chester, WV
    Former Employee - Marketing Department in Chester, WV

I worked at Mountaineer Casino part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When I'd interact with other employees, not in my dept they were all great people that were going through the same situation. Free drinks and some food. Company events were always nice.

Cons

Everyone I spoke with in different departments all seemed to be going through the same thing. We were Constantly in fear of losing our jobs. After I was let go my close friend was also let go shortly after and she had been there for at least 3 years. You just don't feel safe, it's like entering high school all over again.

Advice to Management

The management seems to take advantage of their perks to the fullest extent and loved to throw their power around, like a large power trip just to prove to you that you can be fired at a moments notice.

3. Save yourself the trouble

I worked at Mountaineer Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The guests make the bs you deal with tolerable.

Cons

This place started off as a great place to work, or so it seems. Unfortunately the economy and competition are breaking it down and the merger did not help things. Most recently many people have been laid off, including many who have been there for 10+ years. They're understaffed in crucial areas yet have a way too bloated staff in others. If you're like I was and get stuck in an understaffed area, expect to do three times the work to make up for the lazier workers who have been there forever and apparently feel confident enough to not do their jobs. Benefit packages have been decreased since the merger as well, the pay rates are low despite how much is expected of you and they seem to find more and more ways to take from the employees to save a dime. The guests complain how tight the place is, which is obvious when comparing it to their competition but they don't realize that it doesn't get much better being on the other side of it either. Work/life balance is a joke unless you like expecting to be at their beck and call 24/7 and career opportunities are only there if you know the right people and can shut up and be a good yes man.

Advice to Management

Have some loyalty to the people who have stuck it out for several years. A $25 gas card at the holidays doesn't cut it. Actually listening to both your guests and employees would mean a lot more. Seems like this place is only operating until the parent company can finally write it off as a fail and close its doors.

5. I worked in food and beveridge

Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Chester, WV
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage in Chester, WV

I worked at Mountaineer Casino full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed meeting new people and preparing food for them. Making suggestions on what is good and what is not. Cut alot of cakes and cookies and made pizza and other foods.

Cons

The problem working there was when I worked I worked alone but when I went to break or was off that day they had 2 to 3 people working my station. When I confronted the boss he said that since I was such a good work I did not need any help. That was not true the only reason I was able to do the job by my self is I worked very hard. While other co-workers stood around watching me..

Advice to Management

Yes never make someone do a job that no one else is willing to do alone. I was the only person that would do that station because it was the hardest one to do. Never take advantage of a employee that is willing to go above and beyond to get the job done. While they watch other employees goofing off and doing nothing.

6. as with anywhere, take the good with the bad

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Chester, WV
    Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Chester, WV

I have been working at Mountaineer Casino full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you can make decent money

Cons

same issues as most other jobs

Advice to Management

communication?

7. Has done well with the bad economy.

Current Employee - Reservationist in Newell, WV
    Current Employee - Reservationist in Newell, WV

I have been working at Mountaineer Casino full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Has options to buy benefits. Does still have full time positions available.

Cons

It is a 24-7 faciltiy, with most of the workers not having regular days or nights off. Holidays are not an option to have off, no matter what your senority. Senority is not respected almost to the point where you are punished for it.

Advice to Management

They have worked to make somethings better, but they have taken from the workers more than given. They need to keep the rules consistand and fair for everyone. Give to ones that have worked for it.