Mountaintop Technologies, Inc

Updated November 17, 2014
1.8

David H Fyock

Desktop support

I have been working at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, though it requires hard-work but if you are ready to display your worth, it is fun working with them.

Cons

It is quite unfortunate that most organizational leaders are less concern, but I think the regulation of the company is still allow them to do that, but as for the organization, they look after their employee.

My time at MTT nearly broke me.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer I in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer I in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low-cost of living area. Little crime. Benefits were OK. The pay was alright. Since there were not a lot of employees there were plenty of opportunities for personal enrichment because if we didn't have an expert in a certain platform, we couldn't hire someone, we had to take it upon ourselves to become the experts in that platform.

Cons

Hoooo boy. Where do I start? Well, I was hired by MTT in 2007 as a Graphic Designer. It was, at first, not that bad of a place to work. Our Manager was a knowledgeable and fair individual. He knew our strengths and weaknesses both individually and as a team. Under his tenure, we were all busy and working on multiple contracts. He would push back against “leadership” when he needed to and he refused to let the PMs or “leadership” roll over us willy-nilly whenever they felt like it.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, I guess, because in a show of power, "leadership" shoved him out in early 2009.

After that, it was all downhill from there. In the five years I was there, I saw my responsibility go from being a junior designer to lead designer, in responsibility only. I was leading projects with mid-level and senior designers. I never saw a raise after 2008, even with all the extra responsibility. Bad economy, you know. Even though they were still getting millions in contracts. Finally I asked "leadership" for a raise and/or promotion and their response was, and this is a direct quote, "doing that would not be fair to you, because if we promoted you, you would have nowhere else to advance to." Giving me a raise and a promotion to recognize my contributions and skills wouldn't be fair to me. From that point on I decided to look out for myself. I didn't care about "the good of the company" anymore.

After our original design manager was axed, we went through a revolving door of PMs. Each as inept as the previous. Some merely lacked situational awareness, others were downright unethical. "Bill to this other project. It all comes from the same pot, anyway." So I just used my time to enrich my skills and experience. I learned everything I could. I took on as many projects as I could take on. All to get experience that I could market.

When our congressional Rep. Jack Murtha, head of the House appropriations committee and the man who controlled the purse for the United States Government, died in 2010, the gravy train dried up, virtually overnight and no more money came into the district and that was all she wrote. Contracts ended and there were no follow-on contracts or option years. They had people with little to no experience in writing proposals... well... writing proposals. Round of layoff after round of layoff the people who stayed behind did so, not so much out of loyalty, but either A: because Johnstown is a dying city and there were no other jobs or B: they were friends of the family and weren't about to abandon their gravy-train. Nepotism and Cronyism was rampant. The original CEO transferred day to day operation to his Son, who, ANYONE who worked there will tell you, was unfit to run a business.

Then the lowest of the low. MTT, a defense contractor, tried to start a children's website. The original directive was to make it like PBSKids or ABCMouse, but do it with a handful of people. We spent months on "The Learning Mountain" as it became to be called. Writing, designing, narrating and programming interactive stories, activities, etc. We hired a "child psychologist" (I believe she was a friend of the family, so yay more cronyism) to "consult" the project but that was mostly bunk. In the end it was too little, too late and in August 2012 I got my little blue folder with my layoff papers. The company was pretty much done at that point. A few people would stay on part-time, I think mainly to turn out the lights and as far as I know the company was defunct as early as November 2012. The people who ran the company into the ground and cost us all our jobs retired comfortably or took cushy jobs on the Airport Authority.

It was just a poorly ran operation. A "cutting-edge" technology company ran by people who thought it was still the 1950s. Who imposed their moral and religious views on us at every opportunity and it's a shame, because there were truly some talented and passionate individuals that got ran over by the machine along the way. Some have since left their field all-together. I came close. The stress of the last few years almost broke me. I deluded myself into thinking that it would get better; that the company would get a good contract and we’d all back in business. Luckily I was able to pick up the pieces after I was laid off and I moved out of Johnstown and I'm doing very well for myself and making far more than I ever would have made there. I guess that's the best compliment I can give MTT: they set me free and I was able to land on my feet.

In the end MTT was a company that could have been very profitable and a great place to work, but because of shortsightedness, cronyism, nepotism, not being able to adapt and sheer incompetence it's now a defunct entity.

So sad.

Stay retired. Don't start any more businesses. Please.

Company is now out of business

Former Employee - Software Developer in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was almost five years of experience to put on my resume. Working at MTT gave me experience working with Apple hardware and OSX.

Cons

My worst experience there was the day I had the office mostly to myself (nearly everyone else had be laid off), and had been working furiously and productively, when the office manager interrupted me to see whether I had a square or rectangular trash can, as she wanted all of them to match. And this type of thing was not unusual for this company. The second worse incident (for me) was the day I was asked if I had Jesus in my life. At work. In a meeting. By upper management.

Very Stressful

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The production team was full of highly talented people who know their jobs and were eager to do their best.

Cons

Management was lost. All decisions were counter-productive.

It's too late. There is no more Mountaintop.

All beyond the mayor of incompetitence

Former Employee - Project Manager in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good, nice, co-workers. Cheap cost of living.

Cons

Low/medium pay, vice president of company made decisions out of fear he'd be shown up by his employees, not given needed software to complete projects - didn't care as long as they could bill to the gov't on contracts.

Don't run any more companies into the ground.

A soul-crushingly terrible environment to work in

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Johnstown, PA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Johnstown, PA

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extremely talented base of employees, easy commute, casual fridays

Cons

Overwhelmingly hostile and negative work environment, no raises or promotions, ineptitude at all levels of management, ownership is openly combative

Leadership should have treated the people they employ with trust and respect, not with contempt and suspicion. Learning communication skills would have also done much to improve the work environment. Lack of dirty looks whenever one had the audacity to use the bathroom would have been nice as well.

Time, talent, and money squandered.

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc

Pros

Compensation and career tracking was reasonable until a freeze on salaries and promotions that's been in effect for the last few years.

At one time, the workload was ample and varied, giving employees exposure to many different projects.

Highly talented production team.

Cons

That's all in the past. The few remaining employees must work far beyond what they're being compensated for, since higher level (read: higher paid) employees have been released or otherwise driven away.

New contracts are non-existent. Employees are asked to milk government contracts for maximum time/money while doing little of value.

Veteran employees are being offered the "choice" of working part-time (which reduces your pay now and in the future, should you end up on unemployment) or quitting.

Please level with your remaining employees. Tell them there's a plan for getting back on track (and what it is), or tell them when they should expect to be released.

Don't disrespect loyal multi-year employees by reducing them to part-time; keep them on or lay them off.

Working with such a talented technical (production) staff made an otherwise disfunctional company tolerable.

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc

Pros

Despite the lack of leadership/management skills, the owner/founder's intentions were good. The products being developed are of significant value to our national security and military health, safety and effectiveness.

Cons

Disfunctional, if not toxic, work environment due to a total lack of understanding of how business is managed; senior management decisions are not well thought out resulting in significant financial and operational setbacks; nepotism grossly supersedes business acumen; poor understanding of business development, marketing and sales -- closing the deal.

Hire a knowledgeable executive team and give them the autonomy to move the organization forward. Limit the 'family' to board member roles.

Very very backwards!

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc

Pros

Reasonable compensation, low cost of living area, limited traffic in local commute, production-level employees create strong friendships even throughout disciplines,

Cons

Very old style mentality across the board. They do not offer any alternative work schedules (they had previously and removed it without giving a viable reason). Senior management/leadership are out of touch. Nepotism is very apparent throughout management. Often times unnecessary purchases are made despite needing software/hardware in production in order to complete contracts. They are suspicious of employees, even monitoring the comings and goings to visiting the restroom. Leadership show little to no respect for employees. Despite clients being extremely pleased with the work of production, leadership has consistently taken no-cost incentives away from employees that created a healthy and happy work environment.

Listen to your employees who work daily on the contracts, you have become VERY out of touch with your employees. You're creating a very unhappy work environment with employees who don't care about the work they do because there are no incentives to work towards.

Bizzaro world

I worked at Mountaintop Technologies, Inc

Pros

Pay is OK compared to similar jobs, low cost of living in a low-crime safe area. Generally a short commute. Small company where you don't feel lost in the shuffle.

Cons

Just a strange culture across the board. Senior management is out of touch. Nepotism is rampant. Middle management is borderline clueless, often making irrational decisions. All the best senior and middle management have been driven away. Complete lack of communication from the top, down. Promotions are very rare below management level. Contrary to company policy, reviews will sit on the VP's desk for as long as a year requiring only a signature, to the point that it has become a punchline. Mac company designing for PC which makes testing, QA and software compatibility a NIGHTMARE. Mac is a religion. Questioning the company's Mac policy, in the past, has cost people jobs.

Listen to production more. Management needs to think before they act instead of making knee-jerk reactions. As a whole the company needs to open up the purse strings and learn they have to spend money to make money. Holding out over a $200 piece of software to complete a 2 million dollar contract is just silly.

Mountaintop Technologies, Inc Photos

Shared an office with a graphic designer; this is one his originals, incorporating likenesses of himself and several of us coworkers.

+ Add Photo