Mouser Electronics Reviews

Reset
3.3
Mouser Electronics President and CEO Glenn Smith
Glenn Smith

Pros
  • I sourced and recruited a lot of great people during my tenure and was a key player in helping them achieve their stretch goal (in 6 reviews)

• Management does care about getting results, just like any growing company should, but doesn't place unrealistic goals on its employees (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing so fast that there are some growing pains (in 5 reviews)

• The company is growing very fast, but the employees seem to be suffering through the change rather than adapting (in 3 reviews)

Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A growing company that has plenty of opertunity for growth and career opertunity. The growth creats an exciting environment with new challenges on a daily bases.

Cons

The growth creates challenges in keeping up with everyday duties.

Company grows but people suffer.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Mouser Electronics

Pros

After 2-4 solid years of employment it's easy to see why people work in the warehouse. 1) Their Warehouse offers a level of stability. The pay is not too special, especially factoring the 'health benefits' of working in a warehouse, but if you are a local with basic aspirations, it's enough. 2) The quality control is modest and you can honestly get away with a lot of short comings. Yes this can affect the customer, but it happens. My observation is that quality declines when performance goals rise, responsibilities increase, but no concessions are made for the employees. Upper management doesn't really take quality into account when they look at the numbers. They just want increased 'efficiency' and to see what no employees are 'stealing time' or 'under performing' . Yet, the metrics are shallow and very easy to game. 3) yearly bonus adds a bit more to the pay -- there is also a small performance bonus you can earn but they have basically been the same for several years. 4) If you work hard and get used to putting in all the mandatory overtime hours, the company can be somewhat flexible with time off. The harder you work the more flexible your schedule becomes. Still, if your parents die or you have a real issue, the first words you can expect from your boss are 'OK but you can keep working, right?'.

Cons

1) Stability means settling. Preferential treatment for employees who don't really have any aspirations other than coming to work and settling for minimal pay bumps. The most performance oriented employees quickly realize that working extra hard gets you a few good marks and kind words, but never really comes out to much in the end. No bonus or recognition for competitive employees because the nature of the industry is against it. Even if your boss appreciates your hard work, all that matters at the end of the day is that you made your quota and will be back tomorrow and on for the endless grind. This is how people degrade to 'just working' and 'gaming the system'. At least you know you'll get paid, but you can see how opportunity for personal or professional growth is limited. 2) In the same vain, as long as wages are high enough to keep employees, management doesn't really want anything else. Bonus pay and growth is completely stagnant. Every once in a while they will bring in a consultant and raise wages, but it seems to come out of the next few years to average out on the back end. 3) yearly bonus consistently decreases or lays flat no matter how hard employees work. 4) This is a company that has little aspiration beyond making money. They do some advertising things outside of work, and occasionally the kind of donations that get you tax breaks, but I have never felt any larger culture. There are a few tiny employee events but no aspirations to use some of their employees time to improve the local area or improve the employee's world.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can say about business that these guys haven't already heard. Still, Mouser could do well by improving the way it sees its product. 'Growing pains' is an excuse for shallow metrics and minimum investment in warehouse EXPERTISE (not just hiring the minimum employees). Also, realize that with literally hundreds of employees, you have powers other than 'force work and make money'. The way mouser does things and treats its people effects more than the spreadsheets. Every choice a company this large makes also determines the quality of Texas and how BKR.A effects the world. It seems like our Upper management is so behind on the basics of running the company that they never have the time aside to improve the how it works.,, not to mention the why.

3. Growing Fast but keeping small

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A great team of people who love working together for a common goal .Fast growing and offers a lot of job challenges as well as opportunities to grow

Cons

Location is not the most attractive but close enough to Dallas and Fort Worth for that not to be a big issue

Advice to Management

Pay and benefits are average and to get to next level will need to pay some jobs more

Supplier Manager

I have been working at Mouser Electronics (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nice Location to work at.

Cons

No Room to advance at all

Sounds like things haven't changed much.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Mouser Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a Warehouse Worker: It was a full time job straight out of high school. You could be very good at your job if you were able to count to 100 accurately. Good for your health as you are literally always walking. Ability to work Overtime. Berkshire Hathaway company so you can get discounts you will need because you aren't paid enough.

Cons

Overtime was often a necessity due to the fact that they paid nothing close to a living wage. The largest raise I received, despite several promotions, was a dollar an hour. Work/Life balance was terrible due to the necessity of 10+ hour days. Had the opportunity to move to the office towards the end of my tenure, but was told I would not be receiving a raise because I already made more than the group I would be joining. (Product Specialist, if I remember correctly) HR, obviously, is only used against you. I had performance reviews where my late time punches from earlier in the year were pulled from my file to tell me I was only going to receive a 25 cent raise.

Advice to Management

Continue to treat your employees terribly and keep those profits up! And, If possible, have upper management hire more of their family members and friends. It's worked really well, especially considering they have little to no experience in the role they're taking on.

Fine company low pay.

I have been working at Mouser Electronics

Pros

Usually get as much overtime as you wa t and comprehensive benifits. We're willing to work with me when my spouse got sick.

Cons

The benifits could be better and we could always use better pay.

No Raises This Year, Passive Agressive Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

"Nice" co-workers, very mellow atmosphere.

Cons

Company woefully underpays. While each year we get a salary increase this year most (not all) of the employees are NOT getting a salary increase. In Mouser's typical passive-aggressive management attitude, the CEO is holding onto all the raise final paperwork. The official word is that the raises are pending the CEOs approval, but for real the CEO (Glenn Smith) is refusing salary increases to most employees. Mouser is a Bershire-Hathaway corporation and so Mouser is making record profits the rumor is the Mouser CEO wants to move up in the Berk-Hath organization by maximizing profits and minimizing overhead, so he is squeezing the employees to the bare bones. HR is very aware of Glassdoor, as you can tell by all the similar, unimaginative cookie-cutter positive reviews seen here and the HR comments on positive reviews and ignoreing bad reviews. On the record we've been told the CEO "disproves" of negative reviews of Mouser on Glassdoor. Off the record, publishing a negative review here will get you fired fast because at least one employee was foolish enough to publish a neg from her work computer.

Advice to Management

Have a heart

Mouser comments

I worked at Mouser Electronics

Pros

Free t-shirts, sometimes company "dangles a carrot" by providing free lunches. Casual dress allowed. Some employees are genuinely nice and others are just pretending to be nice.

Cons

Ohhhh - funny how Mouser comments only on glowing BS reviews and do not acknowledge/comment/admit/address concerns in how they could actually improve and admit there are weaknesses/faults in management/H.R. performance and they will look into complaints/concerns and try to change for the better.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes wide. Admit that management could do a better job. Get rid of negative, petty, gossipy management people; relatives, good buddies or not. Those people are like a cancer to morale.

Growing Pains

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, discounts on items from a variety of Berkshire Hathaway companies, fast-growing

Cons

Pay is below average and benefits are even worse. Company match of 25% of first 6% for 401K is half the national average of 3%

Advice to Management

The CEO of a billion dollar corporation should not be reviewing changes in day to day reports. He's a great guy, but he's not the right person for the future.

11. For a large company, it still has a lot of growing to do.

I have been working at Mouser Electronics

Pros

Berkshire Hathaway company, so there are several perks offered. Also, I get to leave my work at work at 5pm. Stress is minimal.

Cons

Location is very far from the interstate and not in a convenient location unless you live in this area of town. Pay isn't competitive.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for career advancement across all departments and offer a more competitive pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed