Mouser Electronics

Updated January 21, 2015
3.5

Mouser Electronics President & CEO Glenn Smith
Glenn Smith

Pros
  • Good Vacation time, great people to work with, lots of training opportuities, (in 6 reviews)

• The people are great and I like working for a growing company (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Growing so fast that there are some growing pains (in 5 reviews)

• The company is growing very fast, but the employees seem to be suffering through the change rather than adapting (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Current Office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a friendly and family-oriented atmosphere. From the moment you walk through the door you are greeted with a smile.
    The company is growing and has many opportunities for individuals to grow both personally and professionally.
    Mouser also engages employees by organizing events and other team building activities that help build solid relationships.

Cons

The fast-paced growth that Mouser has seen over the last several years does require individuals who can adapt easily. Unfortunately, that type of growth and environment doesn't match every person's personality.

Senior management can be seen walking throughout the entire campus and are down to earth people. It's great to be at a company that has easy access to all levels of management and truly care about the people who make the company function effectively every day.

Aug 9, 2014Director of Talent Resources

Mouser is certainly fast-paced.....and that's the way we like it! Growth!!

Highly Recommend!

Current Employee - Office in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Office in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and stable work environment, excellent opportunity for learning and advancement, Good pay - saw other reviews that say its low...Not true, I've experienced it myself - perform well and you will reap the benefits! Never had a lay off - how many companies can say that? Mouser cares about its people. Benefits are good - if you don't think so try Obamacare! Company makes nice contribution to HSA to give employees money to help with healthcare costs. Fun activities and charitable company. Truly an Open Door Philosophy.

Cons

Employees that don't want to contribute 100% and whine about the littlest thing. You didn't have to come to Mouser and Mouser didn't have to hire you - give 100+% and succeed! Employees need to communicate with management about any concerns in an appropriate manner - whining to your friends won't fix anything - talk to someone that can actually help you. Figure out what you can do to improve yourself and fulfill your potential vs blaming others for everything.

Management does a good job being available to employees - just a reminder that even though Mouser is one of the busiest place you will ever work, always make time to listen to your employees and respond appropriately (even if not immediately...its ok to say you'll get back to them...but do it) - employees are your biggest asset.

Aug 1, 2014Director of Talent Resources

Thank you for this great review!

Growing so quickly they can't keep up!

I have been working at Mouser Electronics as an intern

Pros

I love the company culture and how fast it's been growing. They've never laid somebody off and have never had any debt, so that's really nice. You know it's a stable company because it's a Berkshire hathaway company and Warren Buffett wouldn't invest in something he didn't believe in.

Cons

It doesn't pay too well unless you're gonna be a web-developer or some high up big wig. They also are constantly hiring new people. There's also a high turnover rate, meaning for some reason employees come and go pretty quickly.

Get more organized on what duties go in what area of the company, there can be some confusion.

Aug 1, 2014Director of Talent Resources

Thank you for this review. Yes, being with a growing company has its' challenges....but this is a good problem to have!!

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Former Employee - Quote Assistant in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Quote Assistant in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Mouser Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There were no pros in my experience there.

Cons

Benefits are crap, management is incompetent, and CEO is a complete moron that doesn't have any business being a janitor there. They want everyone that works there to have a degree and they expect these folks to accept $11.00 an hour and then act offended if you try to negotiate as if they are being extremely generous.

You should all quit and work at gas station.

Oh, so average

Current Employee - Office Worker in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Office Worker in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good time off benefits. Clean, inviting workplace. Coworkers are great. Management does a great job of pretending they care about their employees. Free parking. Well maintained grounds.

Cons

Managers that are always right. Many believe they know everything and when you bring up a new idea, they have either thought of it (they claim) or tell you it's not feasible before you even explain it. They tell you to demonstrate initiative, but when you do, they tell you that you should have run it past them first. Very frustrating If you're not one of the chosen ones, sometimes life can be very hard. Bend over and take it then thank them for it or you're left in the dust. Raises are typically <1% all the way up to almost 2% per year...even after they claim we're making more money every year. Salaried management even has their own parking lot, lest they be forced to mingle with their lowly workers.

Take a management class...learn the people side and put it into practice. Quit pretending you know everything. It's people that keep Mouser growing.

Questionable...

I worked at Mouser Electronics

Pros

Free lunches every so often and t-shirts to make up for the low pay plus casual dress. There are some genuinely good mid to low-level employees who work there and who need the job so they put up with ..... and witness ..... going on. They don't want to get in trouble or lose their job so they will not speak up about things.

Cons

The last person writing the review on July 30th or 31st - that is an example of the company mantra per "favorites" mouthing it. Would not be surprised in the least if it was a person in management that wrote it. The bias is just oozing so much so that it is laughable and sickening at the same time. There are quite a few "suck-ups" in Mouser. Some of the statements made by this reviewer were just blatantly false. It is definitely not a credible review.

There are corporations that have much better group insurance plans. I guess coming right out of high school one would think they were working at Mouser Disneyland where everyone thinks everything is just oh so magical and good without question.

H.R. does nothing more than "push paper". They do not work as a liaison between employees and management when there are concerns. (Read an earlier review posted. I concur.)

Nepotism is rampant at Mouser. Only way one will get anywhere in this company is if you are related to, a good friend of or a close neighbor of management. Those people definitely have their favorites and cliques.
    It is a high school atmosphere on the campus of Mouser.

To the Reviewer: Get real, open your eyes, see how they treat other people other than YOU before you make such ridiculous proclamations.

Con: I regret not reading reviews about Mouser before making the decision to accept employment with them. All that glitters is not gold. If you are desperate then by all means work for them until you can find a better job and a company that provides a positive, supportive, rewarding atmosphere and does not encourage bullying or reward those who gossip or betray. If one has to "watch their back" all the time and be guarded in what one says then believe me, this is a fear-driven and mentally tiring place to work.

Do not scheme and do backhanded things. Do not be PETTY. Look up the definition of CONFIDENTIAL because it is obvious no one there knows what it means. Mouser management encourages the Facebook mentality in the workplace. I have had previous management experience so I know what I am talking about in the workplace environment.

Liars and egos

I worked at Mouser Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

No pro's here to speak of.

Cons

I've never seen management with bigger egos than they have at Mouser. It's so bad that clearly the management is going onto glassdoor and writing reviews to make themselves look good. I'd be riding the Mouser train too if I got fat bonuses and salaries. You say you have an open door policy, but that open door can hurt your career. As soon as you go to your manager with something, they use it against you later. They do not like confrontation. Your only salvation there is if you are a "favorite"

Ditch the egos, ditch the trips to Hawaii and Spain for your top management. Quit being so secretive and start sharing information like salary grades with your employees. Let them truly know where they stand. The reason why you don't is so you can change it whenever you want and protect your favorites. Hot dog trucks that we have to pay for and the occasional free t-shirt and free Mexican or BBQ lunch don't make up for horrible salaries and your expectations of hard work for no praise. And don't do the cruise anymore. You claim that it is not rigged, but it's so obvious you pick "favorites" to attend. How about you let people go that have never had a chance to go and were top performers. Not sending the same people year after year. It's very transparent and you must think your workers are stupid.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time

Pros

Great staff, great benefits and compensation is really good.

Cons

None that I can think of. Really good.

keep doing what your doing! it's working!

Aug 9, 2014Director of Talent Resources

Great review. Thank you!!

If they like you

Current Employee - Stock Control Associate in Mansfield, TX
    Current Employee - Stock Control Associate in Mansfield, TX

I have been working at Mouser Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pays the bills kind of over time is limited to twelve hours a day Texas law over time must be approved unless they like you.

Cons

Incompetent management most of the current management are from Wal-Mart or McDonald's.

Replace current management

They still need help even after being acquired.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Mansfield, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Mansfield, TX

I worked at Mouser Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Mouser has a decent business plan with good margins and positive revenue year over year. I sourced and recruited a lot of great people during my tenure and was a key player in helping them achieve their stretch goal.

Cons

Terrible management that lack fresh ideas. Some top level managers need to go do something else, been there too long. And yes, I concur that it is a good ole boys network.

Do right by your employees and get real salary data from at least Fort Worth and be competitive. Treat people in sales and accounting fairly with respect and dignity.

Mouser Electronics Photos