Move

Move Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

Move CEO and Director Steve Berkowitz

Steve Berkowitz

Pros:
  • "There are a lot of opportunities to learn more about the real estate space with this company"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management has no interest in technology and needs to be replaced"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The company follows trends and new technology, doesn't come out with any new ideas and hasn't since the late 90's"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Company

I have been working at Move full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe people are the largest asset of this company. Many have been here for years and are committed to the company and it's goals.

ConsTop heavy management can create needless red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider action as opposed to reaction and trust the people that you have hired. The people here are the company's largest asset.

New management changed a great company to a poor one overnight!

Regional Sales Director (Former Employee)
Midwest, WY

I worked at Move full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAs far as pros the only thing that Move currently has on it's side is it's relationship with the various MLS' - if that was to go away- the company could fold overnight.

ConsQuotas cannot be met or sustained over the long term if the organization doesn't add value to the consumer, increase quality lead flow and actually advertise. The organization was a household name at one time, and now consumers do not know who they are, or what they do. Management has poor leadership and has added non-industry specific Vice Presidents. These managers come from organizations like Oracle where everyone schemes and conspires on how to raid sales from other sales groups within the same organization. Changes in inside and outside sales now makes them rivals at the clients expense. Everyone steps over each other to make a sale and it becomes a fisticuffs to see who gets to count the revenue. All the while, EVPs and VPs sit back and let the match play out to see who will win. The management group discusses who will be left standing in their management meetings as if they are playing a game of chess at the expense of the line employee. Quotas are set high enough that only those really good at lying can make it through the long haul.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your attrition and wonder why some of the top producing people would leave high dollar opportunity careers? Then ask yourself, how much did those loses really cost you in the long term?

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing sales opportunity if you have what it takes and you put in 110% every day.

Sales (Current Employee)
Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Move full-time for more than a year

ProsThe money. Flat out it's the money. If you ever felt like you work your tail off and no one notices or pays you any more for it you will realize that there are actually some places that reward you handsomely for doing just that. You will have top notch training, 401k, great vacation and other perks. Did I mention the money?

ConsBeing in inside sales with the majority of your income based on your performance is stressful. It's not for the faint of heart.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince we already have summer bbq's, snacks and Starb**ks galore, a popcorn machine, car washes and the like can we get a pool table?

Great company to work for.

I worked at Move full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat place to achieve your goals.

ConsUpper management tents to turn over

Growing organization, strong balance sheet, motivated workforce to win!

Current Employee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Move full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAll organizations have challenges. Leadership strength has set the bar high. Smart, enthusiastic talent was needed at all levels to move this company forward. We have strong technologists, product experts, a kick-a*$ sales org and lots of ideas and challenges to solve. Internal training and leadership development is a constant. The expectations are high and we're positioned for a big win. We work hard and at times long days. The difference about Move is focus and commitment of the team and what we deliver to our customers and consumers. We're encouraged to DREAM BIG and make it happen!

We have a voice and the invitation to share it, strong leaders, great co-workers, and a CEO who's in the office with an open door.

ConsNeed more PR/Comms share of employee successes to further highlight our culture and the great teams we've built!

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

It's amateur hour at a bottom tier real estate tech company

Account Executive (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Move full-time for more than a year

ProsOne positive was the group that I worked with, met some people who have become great friends. Occasionally good spiff opportunities.

ConsThe manager that was overseeing one of the sales team in Scottsdale was one of the worst managers I've ever come across in a professional sales environment. Very insecure, lacked basic social and people skills, and struggled selling the marketing solutions himself. Top performers were seen as threats instead of assets, which is unheard of in a professional sales organization. Driving revenue in an ethical fashion was given a backseat to stroking the manager's fragile ego and self esteem. Lackluster subpar employees who went to lunch with manager and caddied for him on the weekends were promoted. Constant threats and unrealistic goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at trimming some of the dead weight managers. Also, develop a culture of rewarding the best and most productive employees based on achievement. Make changes quickly because you're losing your best and brightest employees that would take your company's sales and culture to the next level.

Interesting view behind the scenes of a website

I worked at Move

ProsMarketing focused. Good office location.

ConsGives priority to advertising over usability in websites.

Unorganized Mess High Turnover!!!!

I worked at Move

ProsNice facilities to work at. The other employees are very talented and support each other in a negative work environment.

ConsChange budgets in the middle of the month. Poor communication. High amount of cancellations from clients which goes against your budget and paycheck. Pressure to sell products that don't benefit clients. Computer and sales systems don't communicate making sales tougher than they need to be. Management is inept and will fire top producers. Have been trying to build a sales team in scottsdale Arizona for 18 months between people quitting and being fired they still have less than 15 sales people.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the whole team is failing maybe it's management and not the sales team. In sports they fire the coach not the players. Maybe you should hold them accountable also.

Absolutely the worst company for which to work EVER!!!

Sales (Former Employee)
Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Move full-time for less than a year

Prosnice co-workers, good working hours

ConsFelt like I was in a prison with the warden pacing back and forth with a whip! Very humiliating environment for sales people. You're basically set up to fail except if you become a favorite then you would get a better book of business and more quality leads. I was employed with 12 other people and in less than 8 months, I was the only one left. The sales manager roams the floor and everyone is under the microscope at all times. God forbid if you speak to your neighbor for a minute as you are then chastised. Most people go off on disability to avoid getting fired if they have a few bad months. 95% of realtors you call to renew or sell advertising to are very unhappy with this company and it's basically an dealing with an irate customer base. HEAVY PRESSURE ENVIRONMENT MUCH LIKE BOILER ROOM! Managers/trainers used and encouraged salespeople to employ high pressure sales techniques and didn't basically care whether the products worked for the realtors or not.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat employees better and more humane and change the high pressure environment.

Executives struggling to address long term revenue growth.

Program Manager (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Move full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some top-notch technical contributors and managers at Move.

ConsReorgs and changes in direction cause churn/turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo for competitor's jugulars and be bold about marketing your strengths. Put together road maps of all product lines, with their dependencies on each other & keep them current & communicated within the organization, so that everyone has a clear idea of corporate priorities.

Worked for Move? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Move reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Move CEO Steve Berkowitz. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Move employees.