Move

Move Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Move CEO and Director Steve Berkowitz

Steve Berkowitz

Pros
  • Move has realized that they have not been on the cutting edge of Marketing, and have made recent changes that are gaining them massive market share (in 3 reviews)

• which means that this a great company to work in starting now, and for the next several years as they expand and continue to take market share (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • You're basically set up to fail except if you become a favorite then you would get a better book of business and more quality leads (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management has no interest in technology and needs to be replaced (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid organization with exciting changes happening!

ProsCommunication, strong interdepartment relationships, great culture

ConsNone that I can think of

The place where talented and skilled sales professionals go to DIE!!!

Marketing Solutions Advisor (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsIDK??? Free snacks, but who wants to be pounding cookies all day.

ConsDon't believe the false promise this place is a complete waste of your time and talents. Supposedly uncapped earning potential is limited to the finite inventory of marketing products to sell to agents. There is only so much ad space and leads generated off the www.realtor.com website. Anything decent is funneled to the team of AE's in Westlake Village. This in turn amounts to a virtual shell game with the good inventory of marketing solutions to sell. Upper management is complicit in providing misdirection so the AE's in CA can sell anything worthwhile before anyone in Scottsdale gets the opportunity to do so. The Scottsdale sales team is forced to piece together the leftovers and put together small sales. Required to make 100 dials a day, so any chance of actually skillfully building your book of business is nonexistent. Their business model is to just dial and dial until a rep stumbles into a small lay down sale. They go after the low hanging fruit that any 18yo kid with a heartbeat could get. Mangers and assistant managers are not very talented and struggle to sell themselves. Leadership and product are laughable. Unethical practices are utilized on every level. A place is a chop shop that is all smoke and mirrors. If you have sales skills, good morals, and leadership, don't WASTE your TIME!!

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house on management from top to bottom and start over. It's just sad to see what should be a shiny Cadillac, beat up and riding on rims.

Horrible management

Sales (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

Prosnothing, they need a lot of help

ConsThere is no clear direction and management has no idea how to run a sales organization

Advice to Senior ManagementFire yourself

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok money, bad workplace

Account Executive (Former Employee) Westlake Village, CA

Prosmoney, professional sales training, opportunity for sales

Consmanagement sends leads to favorites, miss your quota 3 times your out, no opportunity for advancement, senior reps get 95% of leads

Advice to Senior ManagementThe food, gym, and holiday parties are great but have a heart for employees that give 100%.Don't fire them.

Don't believe the propaganda reviews on this site

Marketing Solutions Adviser (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThere is money to be made if you are one of the favorites that get the REAL leads handed to you. If not, you get stuck with the crap ones that never go anywhere because either 1. there is NO INVENTORY available in the area the realtor is looking at OR 2. The realtor only has interest in what you can give them that's free

ConsI guarantee the review of June ! 2014 with the title
    “Great Company with great earnings potential for hard workers with good skills.” was written by or at the request of someone in management.

I do not know ONE person that that was fired (quite a few and for really petty reasons) or left voluntarily that worked in sales in the Scottsdale office that would EVER have that attitude or those nice things to say about the organization.

It is a terrible and repressive environment that manages by fear. "Do this or we'll take this away" "Don't do that or we won't give you leads" "Miss your call metrics and we'll put you in 2 hours of training the next day, all but assuring that you won't make you goals again!" They pile on so many metrics that it is easy for them to target those they want to get rid of while keeping their favorites. Management will say they want consultative sales and the hit you with a 100 call daily metric. Kinda hard to focus on consulting when you have that bear hanging over your head. And if you miss it even by ONE call no matter how much talk time you had, it is a write-up and four of those in a month and you're fired, unless of course you're a favored son.

Favoritism is disgustingly high and if you go out for drinks with the boss or hang with them on the weekend, you get favors, accounts. sales and leads handed to you etc. Everyone else gets the leftover slop. Very little of the product works for realtors and the company knows this. The only exception is the connections lead program but they make sure their favorites get the advantage there as well by only giving them leads in areas where there is ample inventory. All others get leads from areas that haven't had inventory for months, sometimes years! Kind of hard as a sales person to convince someone to buy your product only to then find out there's nothing to actually sell them. Good sales people were let go not because they couldn't sell but because they got leads dumped on them that had no inventory!

Unless they make major changes that totally changes the way management deals with sales people and institute steps to eliminate or at least greatly diminish the rampant favoritism, I would stay far far far away from here unless you're really good at sucking up or kissing you know what

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of current management and get someone in there that actually knows how to motivate and manage a consultative sales environment. The current team hasn't a clue

On the right track. Be ready to contribute!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company's attitude and culture are completely different (and for the better!) than several years ago -- at least for product, marketing and technology. The strategy and opportunity are clear, and the talent is motivated.

ConsThe need to prove things before trying, and the urge to attribute everything to something can feel stifling. But senior leadership is aware of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to control and estimate everything. Do the right things faster, and trust that good things will happen. Trying to make the best decisions is taking too long.

Too much turnover, too many directional changes, too few new ideas

Management (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to meet great people who really want to turn the business around.
    They had a great head start on competitors.

ConsTurnover. All those great people leave when they can't create change.
    Dysfunction at the executive management levels causes unrest.
    Teams are often pitted against each other despite the countless management coaching sessions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain talent to produce legacy knowledge and foundational company culture.

Terrible leadership, zero strategy.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

Pros- Some decent, hard-working folks still there, trying their best
    - Compensation and benefits are competitive

Cons- Out of touch C-suite that loves to manage with fear
    - Lack of coherent strategy
    - Terrible product, ancient technology, no innovation
    - NAR albatross weighs the company down

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom the CEO on down, the C suite consists of web 1.0 retreads who have been unable to adapt to changing market conditions, as evidenced by the way Zillow not only surpassed them in size, but also stole two of their top execs.

Time to reboot the company: dump the CEO and CMO, rebuild the site from scratch, and end the onerous relationship with the NAR.

Great Company with great earnings potential for hard workers with good skills.

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsI have never known a company with inside sales earnings potential as high as Move's opportunity. This is not for someone with low level sales skills, nor can you float through this opportunity. However, if you have great skills, and great work ethic, you will never see the equal of this opportunity in inside sales anywhere. Move has realized that they have not been on the cutting edge of Marketing, and have made recent changes that are gaining them massive market share. I commend them for these decisions, and applaud them as they expand their company...which means that this a great company to work in starting now, and for the next several years as they expand and continue to take market share. Don't hesitate to apply at Move. You many notice that I no longer work here, but it is merely because I was offered a very high level position in management for a different company. If the right opportunity presents itself, I would not mind coming back to Move.

ConsThis job will keep you hopping. They require that you meet your call metrics, and still stick to consultative rapport building sales methods, which is what you need to do to meet your sales quota. However, just use every second of your time there, and you won't regret the paychecks you get.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend integrating or replacing all the old outdated systems that are integrated in a very inefficient way that are so costly in lost sales and revenue when the information is not easily at the fingertips of the reps. I know this would take quite an investment. However, switching to VOIP Cloud phone systems would reduce costs immensely for the company as a whole, and would allow Move to invest those savings into a much more efficient CRM system...which, by the way, is non-existent for Move reps. Top Producer is a product that Move reps sell to the real estate agents, but nothing remotely close to it is available for Move reps to use. This would be my suggestion to increase revenue by using cost reduction available through new technology in telecom to fund the needed changes.

Check out Move. So much has advanced over the years, that you would be missing out if you did not look into it now.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsStrong team in many functional groups. Stellar leaders with diverse backgrounds and a weath of experience from some of the top companies. Ability to have an impact that makes a difference on the company and all constituencies. Growth opportunities abound.

ConsYou need to like working in a company that focus on the real estate space. While it can be challenging, if being challenged is part of what motivates you, this is the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving and listening to the employees. The progress over the years has been amazing.

Worked for Move? Contribute to the Community!