Movie Gallery

Be The First To
Add Photos

Movie Gallery CEO Sherif Mityas

Sherif Mityas

Pros:
  • "It was a great gig while it lasted, free rentals, fairly decent health insurance"
    in 18 reviews
  • "If you are looking for something part time and you love movies and games"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "If she represents all of the upper management of MG then I'm very sure that they don't understand that their most valuable resource is their employees"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Six district managers, four regional managers, ungodly turnover"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't know why I stay

CSA (Current Employee)
Montevideo, MN

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsThe only one I can think of is free rentals. If you are a manger you make very good money for non exsistent skills of being a manager. Also for some very odd reason if the associates are suppose to be motivated to sell our new powerplay so we don't lose our jobs and if we sell enough our manager wins a new entertainment system for her home. I make 6.55 an hour and you get a new entertainment system yeah I really am excited for that

ConsYou get paid nothing and get no hours or any consistency with hours. Expected to work off the clock and always getting told your job is at stake if you dont get so many sales or clean this and that. I used to love going there and now I drag my feet.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you see us?? We are trying!!

Once enjoyable now deplorable.

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsMovie Gallery gives you the benefit of being able to rent everything in the store. What we don't make in pay we can somewhat make up for in simply renting movies and games instead of buying them, save for the special ones we'd love to own. The schedule is flexible enough to give you the time you need for a vacation or special occasion off. Employees are all very easy to get along with. Customers become regulars which creates a friendly environment between ourselves, the associates, and the people coming into our store on a regular basis. Strictly on a task basis the job is very easy to get a hold of. We also get promotional stand-ups, posters and once in awhile get t-shirts we have the option of wearing. Most employees look out for each other and are just a phone call away if any help is required. If you know movies or games fairly well it can also create bonds between customers and fellow co-workers with similar tastes.

ConsOn a personal level, I've been with Movie Gallery since mid-2007. When the economy began to noticeably affect our store, like any company I imagine, things changed drastically. Understandable. Our president at the time was Gabe (who I'd like to add resigned recently after only 10 months- quietly in his place as CEO is Sherif Mityas). I mention this because under Gabe's leadership things have taken a turn for the worse. During our slow front in 2008 we began to work solo unless on weekends and the occasional Tuesday. This was absolutely necessary, but even then we were only allowed one closer. At this time it was a bit overwhelming at times but still doable.

Not anymore.

Under a new cleanliness initiative we have been assigned additional tasks to complete each and every night. While the chores themselves weren't difficult finding the time to complete them has proven to be downright impossible on some nights. Finding the time to mop, vacuum, climb a ladder and remove
invisible clips from the ceiling, straighten the store, count up and close, and worst of all deal with the mountain of returns and general increasing business of the store has become inexcusably challenging for just one person. Employees are forced to work over their hours just to be able to close and get things put away. Even if someone could just come in for 3 hours on heavy return nights it would make matters so much easier. But without the help (and sometimes supplies) we need we're forced to either stress ourselves out trying to get everything done or simply become apathetic. Both of those options affect the customers and morale of the store. And watching for theft with a 5+ person line, pushing our deals and PowerPlay with no security cameras proves to be mindboggling, I might add.

Our metrics are on the rise with our new monthly rental program mentioned above, PowerPlay. We're told one number one moment and the next we find we did not meet our goal because it was changed. Employees are beyond frustrated right now with what used to be a pretty fun and easy going job. The sad part is we are in no shortage of applications - a fact the higher-ups are well aware of so they know they can squeeze us dry and just replace us later. If Movie Gallery wants less hard-working, fun and responsible people and more incompetent slackers, this is a fine way to bring them in. It'll be a revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementThrow us a bone when we need help. We're loyal to you with busting our rear-ends trying to clean the store and make sure the customers are getting tended to, at least give us an additional 10 hours or so a week. We don't ask for much with the bare minimum wage we make, just the ability to be comfortable and feel safe.

Love my Job, but....

Senior Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Joplin, MO

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsI love the free rentals that come with the job. I have worked for over 2 1/2 years and have been trying to get store manager. I love my job and the people that I work for. When you have a good manager, your job is more fun and easier. I have the best manager and everyone wants to work for her in my area.

ConsIt takes too long to finish the management process. I have been trying to get the manager position since December and I am still waiting. I keep in contact with the District Manager and he says it is a process. I am seeing managers quit all the time in my area and they go out and hire someone off the street instead of giving it to someone already in the company that wants it and is capable of doing the job. I have passed everything so far and still waiting. This means a store will be without a manger for almost a month before someone gets in there, and after all that time the store is in shambles and the new manager has to get it back to the way it should be. Listen to CSA's and hear what they have to say because we do work more than the people that tell us what to do. The people sitting behind the desk don't have a clue what customers want because they don't interact with them. They keep cutting programs to all stores that customers want because other stores don't do well. Just because it doesn't work well in one area doesn't mean it doesn't work well in another area. The company wants to save money but so do the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery once in a while do a survey of store employees and find out what customers want or do a customer survey. Listen to the people that are making you money.

Get it right

Toledo, OH

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsGreat part time job, gets more complicated as you advance. As a college kid you have a flexible schedule, free rentals of movies and games, and get great experience with people.

ConsLow pay for all. Obvious at the store manager level only a few do there job while others just open and close a store everyday. If we are going with E4 enforce the penalties you put on people. We are micromanaged from the corp. office down with many decisions taken out of my hands. I took a huge pay cut to work for this company under the idea that I would be advancing within one year. This hasn't happened and I would hate to leave a job i love.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim the fat. You let go great managers and employees when you closed stores. Next time choose the right ones. Also, decide on what future you want and hire right.

A great company to work for...

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsGreat enviroment with great customers. You have to be on your toes due to the fact that if we try something and it doesn't work like planned we're changing it.....if your not into change it's not for you...

ConsLower revenue stores are "boring" to be at.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and choose the best stores to let the big wigs see next time there in town!

Great place for a part time job.

Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsFlexible hours, easy job, nice people to work with. Get to take home movies for free, it is great if you're into media. I really liked the fact that I was able to take home premium Wii and PS3 games even though they would normally cost more than a simple movie rental. My wife and I were able to preview movies the week before they came out, really helped as we were able to drop our Netflix rental service. It is part time, low wage job, but these perks really make it worth it over other jobs in this pay range.

ConsLow pay and can be late hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is good.

Movie Gallery is the most confusing company I ever worked for

Eastland, TX

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsI enjoyed the atmosphere and working around something I loved and knew alot about.

ConsThe company is a mess. Nobody knows what is going on. It is hard to run a store when you can't get straight answers and everyone is telling you to do something different. It doesn't matter if you know what sells best in your store or what your customers like, the company has an idea of how they think it is best and they will not allow for anything different.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what the employees have to say. Consider that the people running the stores on a day to day basis may actually have some good ideas and are smart enough to know how to create revenue.

Want to work for minimum wage? Want to work for free? Movie Gallery's the place for you! :D

MOD (Current Employee)

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsIt's a relatively low-stress and easy job and if you're good to your customers, they're good to you. You get a decent bit of freedom in general, so that's a plus.

ConsFor the responsibility you undertake, even as a run of the mill MOD, you are essentially entirely responsible for the store during the hours in which you work. You are the only associate there on any given day save Friday or Saturday excluding only special occasions and a short amount of time in between shift changes.

Being that you're the only working employee, there's no notion of any decent and proper necessities one may need. If you need to use the restroom, well, you should have thought about that earlier.

By all means, Movie Gallery is one of those many places that will hold you in minimum wage regardless of your personal performance simply because your stole as a whole may not be stellar. Often, in fact, nearly every day, employees find themselves having to work off the clock to successfully do all the necessary things that need to be accomplished while making sure they do not go over hours as according to their schedule.

So, not only do you get paid as little as possible per hour, but you'll find yourself putting in countless hours in which you are working for free.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the bull. Upper management, I'm sure is aware that the real bulk and meat of their business are their MODs and Store Managers. Yet, while store managers receive a salary, thus hours they work on the clock over their allotted time are unaffected, MOD's (particularly closing ones) often are in a sense, forced to work off the clock simply to complete all of the in-store tasks that need to be completed. This is just downright shameful.

Eh

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsIt can be a fun place to work when you have great employees.

ConsThe E4 measurements are a joke. No matter if your store is hitting its weekly budgets or not, if your E4 measurements are low you are likely to start losing employees. The pay for the work is also a joke. Managers are required to work 45 hrs a week and with all the things the Company requires each week and all the many things they roll out each new period there is no way to keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the job you are asking your employees to do.

It's getting worse.

Dothan, AL

I have been working at Movie Gallery

ProsAs Manager you WERE somewhat able to control the overall outcome of how your store was run, but now that seems to be a thing of the past.

ConsWith the "fast forward" approach that has now been implemented, As a STORE MANAGER, you are no longer in charge of your store. Everything is now micromanaged by corp. To actually think that this WILL work is insane. For those of you not familiar with this, here is the deal. You are now only allowed to schedule one person to man the store all week long with the exception of the busiest days (Friday and Saturday), AND you are only allowed 4 hours of "double coverage" for these two days. This is an average of 92 hours per week that you are allowed to schedule for - 45 of which must be your salaried schedule. When you are used to being able to schedule on a regular basis 150 hours per week, this is an absolutely absurd idea. All this to save a little money. They don't get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGabe, you have lost it . You might be looking at your bottom dollar, but in that case CLOSE the stores that don't make any money! Don't punish the stores that are thriving! You are basically forcing us to turn customers (and profits) away by NOT allowing us to serve our customers adequately!

Worked for Movie Gallery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Movie Gallery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Movie Gallery CEO Sherif Mityas. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Movie Gallery employees.