Moving Picture Company Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Mr. David Jeffers

Pros
  • There are so many great projects to work on that stretch your experience level and abilities (in 4 reviews)

• Cool projects, great people for the most part (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours ,dont pay fair wage high turn over of staff low margins (in 8 reviews)

• 80/day whether I work 8 hours or 10 hours (in 3 reviews)

1. Technician

I worked at Moving Picture Company

Pros

Good working place. Many people are willing to share their knowledge. Lots of things to learn

Cons

Benefits are not good. Salary is not increasing. No chance for full time work.

2. Paint/roto lead

I worked at Moving Picture Company full-time

Pros

High level of feature films to work on.

Cons

At times a lot of unpaid overtime.

3. It was great

Former Employee - Modeler
    Former Employee - Modeler

I worked at Moving Picture Company

Pros

the people are nice at all times and truly care about you and your family. they are fair and pay you what you deserve.

Cons

the lighting is bad and sometimes theres a smell that wont go away. its not very fun.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing but try to have nicer places to work

Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Moving Picture Company

Pros

prime location nice building Decent pay friday barbecue nice pub down the street Beach is a 5 mns walk away

Cons

non-existent pipeline (commercials doesn't share the pipeline from features division) appalling management lack of communication between production/management and artists insufficient render farm interns are treated like crap unpaid overtime pretentious leads, "creatives", and managers more attention paid to studio appearance and clients comfort than the well being of employees most of the producers are oblivious to CG production techniques catering to unreasonable client requests on already underbid projects

Advice to Management

Get real. Invest in your employees and a decent pipeline rather than your studio's looks and client lounges.

Lots of work, little compensation

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Moving Picture Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good snacks in the kitchen, fun people

Cons

Long hours and subpar salaries

Advice to Management

Most of you are awful at your jobs.

Full of producers more interested in catering to frivolous whims of advertising execs than actually making quality work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Moving Picture Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very talented artists downstairs -Nice office

Cons

-The fist floor is full of "producers" who are overpaid to manage clients in the office -Known in the industry for their client services (food, coffee, pampering), rather than their GFX work -Producers have very little appreciation for artist's work downstairs, despite artists creating the product the client is actually paying for -People in management positions are much more interested in being someone important within the advertising world than actually making a great product -Clients are completely obnoxious ad execs who are just there to have their company pay for lunch -Runners and other lower level employees treated like garbage

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Treat your actual talents well, and move away from the clients services.

Moving Picture Company - New York Location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Moving Picture Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are chances for growth within the company and there are some young, fun employees.

Cons

I worked here for a very brief time and during this time I noticed a huge divide between the producer area and the first floor creatives area. The producers and management treated most as beneath them and replaceable. Client services was put to such a high level that it created a toxic environment for the lower level workers as well as the producers themselves. The artists downstairs were more down to earth, but were often overshadowed by the egos of the producers and upper-level management. I also noticed a significant amount of employee turnover even for the brief period that I was there, I'm assuming due to the same reason why I left, a disturbingly toxic, dysfunctional work environment.

Advice to Management

Realize that the people that work for you are people and not your personal minions.

9. Working on first line of movies

Former Employee - Rigging TD in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Rigging TD in London, England (UK)

I worked at Moving Picture Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with a huge team is a daily brainstorming. I have learned a lot working there. Lots of nice people. Premiere league of VFX. Awesome projects and great challenges.

Cons

Salary is little low. They try to finish all projects with a "gang" of juniors. Problem is some leads are juniors also. Overtime is caused by some chaos caused of having this lot of juniors and taking ultra complicated solutions instead of thinking twice some technical problems.

Advice to Management

Try to "profesionalice" the studio with better conditions and more mid seniors profiles.

Wouldn't rush to work here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Moving Picture Company

Pros

It is a leading company within the industry. I did not work as an artist, who I know have very different working patterns. I worked in the offices. I liked the management who I thought were friendly and were happy to let you get on with your own thing. You never felt on edge around them or up against it. Almost to a level where you did want more interest in your work! Central location. The company is split over several buildings and most of the offices are nice and modern. One of the few companies in London where it is not frowned upon if you take an hour for lunch and they are relaxed if you need to leave early, go to the doctors etc.

Cons

This is definitely a company where you can blink and 5 years have passed and you've not moved up at all. I was there for two years before I got a small pay rise. It's doubtful you'll be getting a promotion. I felt a little neglected. There is zero career development and it's not really encouraged. As long as you do your work they are happy, but there's little else. The people are generally nice but it's pretty low on laughs and enjoyment compared to every where else I've worked. Also, it's 40 hour weeks and only 20 days leave. I know that senior managers get a lot more holiday. It really does get tiring and it being in Soho means your commute is probably long as well. If you are ill in the first 12 months you don't get paid! I thought that was illegal! Obviously not. That kind of sums it up.

Advice to Management

Start offering increased holiday days for the amount of service acquired. 20 days is a joke when you are doing 40 hour weeks. And pay for sick days you tight gets. If you are so distrusting then make them get a sick note. I physically could not get out of bed for 2 days and it cost me hundreds of pounds! Offer career development paths for workers who are not artists, ie HR, operations etc. This is futile, they won't listen.

11. MPC VFX

Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Moving Picture Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing movie titles to work with. International VFX pipeline exposure.

Cons

Overtime, but thats common in the industry. Less Pay.

Advice to Management

Give better Pay.

RSS Feed </> Embed