Moving Picture Company

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mr. David Jeffers

Good projects but working conditions not very good

FX TD (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros- great people to work with
    - big name projects
    - supervisors are good
    - can't really think of anything else to get to my 20 word minimum.

Cons- paid the same for 10 hours as 8.
    - straight time on weekends.
    - they could technically make you work 10 hours/day, 7 days straight and none of it is overtime.
    - if I tell them my rate is $10/hr (for example) then I would get $80/day whether I work 8 hours or 10 hours. That lowers my hourly rate to $8/hr for 10 hours. OT is after 10 hours and is based off the $8/hour which then equals only $12/hour.
    - on top of the BS overtime calculations, the wage is really low.
    - on mandatory 10 hour days, you would have to work until 8pm without a dinner break because "it isn't overtime".
    - employees are disgruntled because of all this.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling prospective employees that "You're paid for 10 hours even if you work 8" when the 10 hour day you speak of is based off 8 hours of pay.

Full of producers more interested in catering to frivolous whims of advertising execs than actually making quality work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Very talented artists downstairs
    -Nice office

Cons-The fist floor is full of "producers" who are overpaid to manage clients in the office
    -Known in the industry for their client services (food, coffee, pampering), rather than their GFX work
    -Producers have very little appreciation for artist's work downstairs, despite artists creating the product the client is actually paying for
    -People in management positions are much more interested in being someone important within the advertising world than actually making a great product
    -Clients are completely obnoxious ad execs who are just there to have their company pay for lunch
    -Runners and other lower level employees treated like garbage

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to basics. Treat your actual talents well, and move away from the clients services.

Be prepared to get burned out

Technical Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Pros- Big budget projects
    - Generally good workstations
    - Good pipeline and introduction
    - Free food after 8pm

Cons- Low paid
    - Underbidding causes enormous stress on the artists since they're the ones paying the price to make a profit.
    - No paid overtime
    - Leads threats you if you're don't work overtime (yes it happened to at least 3 artists on a show)
    - Facilities are worn down. Only 2 toilets for over 60+ people per floor
    - Production are very stressed and hence act rude
    - They promise you a one year contract IF you're prepared to accept a lower salary. Then they cut the contract short anyway
    - Very small increase in salary after each year

Advice to Senior ManagementVFX Artists are people with families, not machines. Working 20+ hrs a week for free and then getting threatened to get sacked if not fixing bad lead scheduling is wrong. Make sure to put artist with people skills in lead positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Under bidding,law pay, 80% junior staff

Senior Compositor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAlways have mediocre quality high profile projects due to heavy under bidding. Provide cab service if working late. Commercial side is better than film. (dont know how much better though). Great training ground for delusional vfx students who think this is an awesome career. It'll make you grow up fast.

Cons80% junior staff that you have to compensate for(in terms of quality assets and deliveries), lowest wages in the local industry regardless of location, london office space is decrepit and looks like it hasnt been renovated since they first invented air conditioning. 2 toilets per floor for 40+ people, much like a game of stinky musical chairs.

No health benefits unless working for 1 year continuously (you never will, they offer 2-11 month contracts at best). No sick days off (paid) unless working over 1 yr as above.

Cannot handle heavy CG films, generally having staff work 3-5 months of 60-90 hour weeks with unpaid overtime. Infrastructure output cannot handle heavy shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're profitable, who cares. I'd do the same thing.

worst

Compositor (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Prosfree fruit
    great co-workers and artists.

Conslong hours for lowest pay in Vancouver; about half of usual rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's past time to stop stealing from your artists and employees. Learn how the industry works, bid accurately and yyou won't have to steal from your employees to make money. Get rid of the upwards loyalty yes-man culture and listen to waht professionals you've jired are telling you, get outof the way and let them do their jobs.

So far so good

Compositor (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsGreat people and great shows. Working with a great team right now and humane working hours

ConsUsually long working hours and a lot of stress.

Eaten by Sharks

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsThe artists you work with as well as some production staff are really great. Some of the films that have come in lately are big block busters which are great to have on your resume and fun to work on.

ConsPay. Not just my wage but others as well had really low pay. HR and the Heads of Departments try really hard to not give anyone a raise. Vancouver is a very expensive city and with the wage I was making I could barely afford to live. OT was fine but the dinners we got always come in at 9pm or 10pm when your pretty much done your OT and are starving from not eating dinner on time. Some departments were very disorganized. People who didn't have enough experience in the industry were made Leads for shows over others who clearly had more experience and were more qualified to lead teams. They changed their policy recently so if you work on a stat holiday you don't get paid time and a half you only get a day in lieu...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou make so much money off these films please pay your artists better. Also make sure you give your managers an assessment after they are hired. Most of the people in the management positions are either power hungry or have no idea how to manage their artist.

Long, unpaid work days

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsCool projects, great people for the most part.

ConsExpected to work extremely long hours without getting paid....yup, overtime every day, but you only get paid for 8 hours. Illegal? I'd say yes!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on efficiency and more resonable schedules! And pay everyone for the hours they work.

Poor Pay

Matchmove (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood People to work with

ConsPoor Pay. No value for artist

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a basic

Good place to work, but poor pay

(Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsVery professional and well maintained organisation. Free soft drinks, biscuits and cappuccino maker on every floor. Some extremely high profile shows to work on. Very fun and interesting work. Very good culture. Very talented employees to learn from.

ConsPoor pay compared to similar companies. Extremely poor annual pay rise/review, usually 5% maximum. Very difficult to climb the seniority ladder due to very well established employees. Very high staff turnover due to poor pay.

Worked for Moving Picture Company? Contribute to the Community!