Movoto

Updated November 14, 2014
3.1

Shiro Takeuchi
1 Rating

Great people, good business model and plenty of opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very motivated and excited to help the company grow
    Free lunch is offered every week and fun company trips are held throughout the year
    Compensation is satisfactory based on experience
    Taking on responsibilities beyond your job description is encouraged and assisted

Cons

Sometimes communication between departments isn't very effective and can slow things down

Improve on making sure departments get information to each other efficiently and effectively

Extremely disappointed by HR

Current Employee - Engineering in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual wear. Scrupulous spending for 'entertainment' if you're in sales. Annual retreats.

Cons

1. Corruption: HR is shady.
     - Unlimited Holidays: This is shady way of saying they won't pay out for holiday/sick days when you leave the company (and if you work in CRT, good luck getting any vacation).
     - No Equity: Because they claim to have sold it to the parent company, Recruit. This is a lie. They are in the hands of the investors, and their family members.

2. High Turn Over: They are constantly selling the company to new prospects. You can hear them recruiting nonstop. Most employees outside of the Marketing team are constantly being turned over or leaving on their own terms. They are leaving because of politics, disorganization, and poor wage. There is little to no growth opportunities. Sometimes a promotion means a higher ranking title but the same pay.

3. Salary: Every review will tell you how poor the pay is. As employees are let go, these positions aren't filled quickly enough. This causes work to be stacked on currently retaining employees with no pay increase. Perhaps it would be wise to spend less on parties and offset the cost to retain talent.

There is a high degree of favoritism. Ideologies are created and forced down the throats of individuals. Many weeks later, these ideologies are never spoken of. Retain and learn how to grow your employees instead of letting them resign.

Fast growing company with many potential.

I have been working at Movoto full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company offers lots of growth opportunities which is very rewarding and exciting. Employees are encouraged to voice their opinions and be innovative. The work environment is fun and there are many team building events and activities. Interesting projects are often being initiated and implemented. The Management Team is strong, open-minded, experienced, and have a great vision for the company to succeed. Overall, Movoto has a great company culture with a strong vision, product, and team.

Cons

The current office space is a bit tight due to rapid growth and hiring. The company is in a competitive industry so changes are often being made.

Continue hiring great people who are experienced and passionate for growth. Offer surveys to employees so HR/Management can gauge the current state of each employee.

Work for peanuts

I worked at Movoto

Pros

The product is good and very
    Promising . People are fun.

Cons

There is no opportunity to grow salary wise. It seems like a high school environment .

Value your employees. Pay them a reasonable salary.

Fast paced and quickly growing start-up environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of room for personal growth here. Ideas are encouraged and often implemented. Great office environment/culture and lots of out of office social events. I've seen numerous people get promoted to leadership roles. Fully stocked kitchen. Company is growing incredibly quickly and employees are encouraged to grow with it.

Cons

Office can get extremely loud. So many people are getting hired that office is becoming too small.

Communicate! Transparency across the whole company could use some work.

Nice people and cool product that keeps getting better

Former Employee - Client Relations
    Former Employee - Client Relations

I worked at Movoto part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a fun environment to work in with cool coworkers, at least if you get to work on the customer side. Everyone on my team liked coming to work and we were a really strong team. The managers were pretty motivating and I felt like I was appreciated.

Cons

Lots of people complained about the pay while I was there and there was basically no real HR, but I didn't mind that much. Also, it was sometimes hard to get help with computer problems that made it slow to do our jobs.

I guess just pay people more money!

Fast-paced, intimate company with good leadership and a good team.

Former Employee - Agent Recruiter in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Agent Recruiter in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open environment - work alongside the CEO
    Good office environment
    Decent workload
    Manageable expectations
    Room for vertical growth

Cons

Terrible supervisors
    Lots of shifting of individuals between departments
    Work tends to be endless and goals either aren't defined or unattainable

Structure your organization better and put people in charge that are actually respectful towards their subordinates.

Quickly growing company that rewards hard work

I have been working at Movoto full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing very quickly, which is very exciting. Employees are rewarded and recognized for hard-work and for adding value to their teams, their departments, and the company as a whole. Managers are receptive to suggestions and ideas, and open discussions are encouraged. Work environment is fun and creates a friendly atmosphere. Issues with employee performance are discussed with the employee in private and solutions are sought, rather than going straight to disciplinary actions. As a whole, it is a very pleasant place to work.

Cons

While the company’s growth is exciting, the way the company operates hasn’t scaled up enough to keep up with the growth. Steps are being taken and the I believe the issues are recognized, but the kinks are still being worked out.

Take some time to really focus on scaling up to keep up with the fact that the company has grown significantly, in order to provide more traditional work operations for employees.

Ridiculous, Disheveled, and Amateurish Environment with a Bad CEO

I have been working at Movoto full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. There are some social events that the company sponsors, as well as some fitness-focused events that I hear are worth attending... if you can find the time to get away from your desk when they are scheduled.
    2. Also, the kitchen is fairly well stocked with snacks and healthy alternatives if you're into that.
    3. There is also a bar that's decently stocked, for the impromptu happy hours that happen on occasion.
    4. We get an adequate bonus every half year, based on the company's revenue.

Cons

It's a tech company, but we don't even have a technology leader, and the one we had for a while got fired after a year. The disorganized mess that has persisted for years in the office ruins the experience of working here. People are stressed for no real reason, and it is easily preventable, yet the company grinds onward with the same mistakes week after week. Constant emergencies (broken web pages, lost traffic, etc.) remind us of how ineffectual senior management really is, and nothing seems to be improving. We were acquired by a Japanese holding company, but things have not improved, and a few old problems have been replaced by new annoyances. The Machiavellian CEO is the source of many of my grievances and those of others.

There are safety violations, health issues, and even HR issues that happen on a weekly basis. We are all aware that most of the HR issues are paired with alcohol (both in and out of the workplace), yet the hot messes keep happening.

As if our below market salaries aren't insulting enough, very few (if any) of us have gotten any increase since we've been working here, even after the acquisition. I believe this is why we are losing a surprising number of employees, some of whom were very senior and some who have been there for years. Someone sitting close to me resigned recently, and I see how it demoralizes the whole team when people flee to much much better opportunities, making many of us second guess whether we should be doing the same.

The board needs to cut the umbilical cord and ask the CEO to replace himself. Sweeping changes are necessary, otherwise you will keep losing key talent, and you won't be able to retain what talent you can afford to hire. Once you have a good leader, she or he will push for a cash infusion by our new parent company, which will help to start solving the sore and lingering issues that have always kept us from competing in the tech sector.

Quickly growing company with plenty of room for personal advancement

I have been working at Movoto full-time

Pros

The job opportunities are constantly changing and becoming available. If you are willing to put in the effort to go out of your comfort zone and learn something you're not asked to, you are rewarded.

The people in the company are great and going to work is always fun.

Cons

Pay is on the lower to mid ranges for most positions.

More clear cut time off policies.

Movoto Photos