Movoto Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014
Updated August 5, 2014

Henry Shao

Nice people and cool product that keeps getting better

Former Employee - Client Relations
    Former Employee - Client Relations

I worked at Movoto part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a fun environment to work in with cool coworkers, at least if you get to work on the customer side. Everyone on my team liked coming to work and we were a really strong team. The managers were pretty motivating and I felt like I was appreciated.

Cons

Lots of people complained about the pay while I was there and there was basically no real HR, but I didn't mind that much. Also, it was sometimes hard to get help with computer problems that made it slow to do our jobs.

I guess just pay people more money!

Fast paced and quickly growing start-up environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Movoto full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of room for personal growth here. Ideas are encouraged and often implemented. Great office environment/culture and lots of out of office social events. I've seen numerous people get promoted to leadership roles. Fully stocked kitchen. Company is growing incredibly quickly and employees are encouraged to grow with it.

Cons

Office can get extremely loud. So many people are getting hired that office is becoming too small.

Communicate! Transparency across the whole company could use some work.

Fast-paced, intimate company with good leadership and a good team.

Former Employee - Agent Recruiter  in  Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Agent Recruiter in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open environment - work alongside the CEO
    Good office environment
    Decent workload
    Manageable expectations
    Room for vertical growth

Cons

Terrible supervisors
    Lots of shifting of individuals between departments
    Work tends to be endless and goals either aren't defined or unattainable

Structure your organization better and put people in charge that are actually respectful towards their subordinates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Quickly growing company that rewards hard work

I have been working at Movoto full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is growing very quickly, which is very exciting. Employees are rewarded and recognized for hard-work and for adding value to their teams, their departments, and the company as a whole. Managers are receptive to suggestions and ideas, and open discussions are encouraged. Work environment is fun and creates a friendly atmosphere. Issues with employee performance are discussed with the employee in private and solutions are sought, rather than going straight to disciplinary actions. As a whole, it is a very pleasant place to work.

Cons

While the company’s growth is exciting, the way the company operates hasn’t scaled up enough to keep up with the growth. Steps are being taken and the I believe the issues are recognized, but the kinks are still being worked out.

Take some time to really focus on scaling up to keep up with the fact that the company has grown significantly, in order to provide more traditional work operations for employees.

Ridiculous, Disheveled, and Amateurish Environment with a Bad CEO

I have been working at Movoto full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. There are some social events that the company sponsors, as well as some fitness-focused events that I hear are worth attending... if you can find the time to get away from your desk when they are scheduled.
    2. Also, the kitchen is fairly well stocked with snacks and healthy alternatives if you're into that.
    3. There is also a bar that's decently stocked, for the impromptu happy hours that happen on occasion.
    4. We get an adequate bonus every half year, based on the company's revenue.

Cons

It's a tech company, but we don't even have a technology leader, and the one we had for a while got fired after a year. The disorganized mess that has persisted for years in the office ruins the experience of working here. People are stressed for no real reason, and it is easily preventable, yet the company grinds onward with the same mistakes week after week. Constant emergencies (broken web pages, lost traffic, etc.) remind us of how ineffectual senior management really is, and nothing seems to be improving. We were acquired by a Japanese holding company, but things have not improved, and a few old problems have been replaced by new annoyances. The Machiavellian CEO is the source of many of my grievances and those of others.

There are safety violations, health issues, and even HR issues that happen on a weekly basis. We are all aware that most of the HR issues are paired with alcohol (both in and out of the workplace), yet the hot messes keep happening.

As if our below market salaries aren't insulting enough, very few (if any) of us have gotten any increase since we've been working here, even after the acquisition. I believe this is why we are losing a surprising number of employees, some of whom were very senior and some who have been there for years. Someone sitting close to me resigned recently, and I see how it demoralizes the whole team when people flee to much much better opportunities, making many of us second guess whether we should be doing the same.

The board needs to cut the umbilical cord and ask the CEO to replace himself. Sweeping changes are necessary, otherwise you will keep losing key talent, and you won't be able to retain what talent you can afford to hire. Once you have a good leader, she or he will push for a cash infusion by our new parent company, which will help to start solving the sore and lingering issues that have always kept us from competing in the tech sector.

Quickly growing company with plenty of room for personal advancement

I have been working at Movoto full-time

Pros

The job opportunities are constantly changing and becoming available. If you are willing to put in the effort to go out of your comfort zone and learn something you're not asked to, you are rewarded.

The people in the company are great and going to work is always fun.

Cons

Pay is on the lower to mid ranges for most positions.

More clear cut time off policies.

The worst thing is the CEO

I have been working at Movoto full-time

Pros

Has good people and potential. Money enough and future.

Cons

CEO trying to be in every decision so it makes the company far from agile, flexible and lean. Takes forever to make important decisions and afraid of innovation. Salary way below average. There is no communication and you have to be one of the chosen ones to have good salary and autonomy. Culture is just something nice to say but is not true. Team building = getting hammered....

CEO should stop micromanaging and trust VPs and Sr. Managers. Think about strategy instead and be more modest.

Extremely Disorganized and Lost

I have been working at Movoto full-time for more than a year

Pros

Movoto attempts to have a "fun" atmosphere and offers semi-regular bounding events.

Cons

1. Weak upper and mid managers. Many of the people in these position came up with the company, but do not have a background in the positions they hold. This leads to a lot of spinning wheels.
    2. The CEO is an extreme micro-manager, which has trickled down to the mid-management.
    3. While the company claims to "care" about it's employees, this is mostly a facade. Company events are often slapdash. Many times salaried employees cannot attend the events b/c of the workload is so tight that any interruption would force them to miss their assignments and deadlines.
    4. Pay at Movoto is extremely low compared to the rest of the Bay Area. Many people come to Movoto and then leave for better opportunities.
    5. HR does not respond to messages quickly, sometimes at all.
    6. The work/life balance is extremely poor. I was receiving emails and phone calls as early as 6 a.m. and as late as midnight. Employees were expected to put in hours on the weekends.
    7. Movoto's philosophy is sink or swim, meaning many employees are pitted against each other.
    8. Lack of growth potential. One hiring point is that you can grow into a leadership position. This isn't true. Movoto hires from outside.
    9. Poor bonus structure.
    10. Management does not respect any employee who is not a software engineer.

Reevaluate pay structure
    Reevaluate bonus structure
    Hire an HR professional

Weak CEO, strong mid management, poor product

Former Employee - Engineering  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Movoto full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Unique business model, able to achieve high conversion from online leads to transaction
    2. Previously known to be a good place to learn, willing to take risk with younger out-of-college grads, but that may no longer be the case as the company scales
    3. A lot of the staff is very friendly, nice, and willing to teach.

Cons

1. The CEO is very detailed focus - so much that he had himself involved in purchasing decision of something as minute as Server RAM - you would have thought would be left to our IT manager. In meetings, he would also set up roadblocks and deny access our Product Managers to certain engineering resource. I would have thought that is something the Engineering Manager and Product Manager could discuss amongst themselves. Also, when you have a CEO breathing down your neck on every decision you make, how does that make you feel?

2. I have also asked the management some clarifying question about a task, but he seem to disliked it, it almost felt like I was challenging his judgement. Whilst I should reconsider the phrasing of my question, I also feel that I need to filter what I say to the CEO - not the most conducive environment for authentic communication.

3. I've verified number 1 and 2 with others in the management on my fist day of work, they all agreed, but thankfully gave me tips on how to deal with the CEO. Thankfully I'm not the only one.

4. The Product has too many bells and whistles - I'm not sure if they have the users' perspective in mind. Too many times have I asked "what is the goal" in a feature / design crit
    and I got a not-so-well thoughtout response - I'm not sure how goal and metrics driven is the organisation. A positive way to think about it is that newcomers have plenty of things to work on.

Your right-hand woman and many of your management team understand the issues I have highlighted above, you have a strong mid level management - listen to them. Otherwise, you will risk losing a lot of talent. Your VP of PM left in a short period after you flew all the way to Spain to hire him. You had one PM who left after 6 months, another within a year, after you have trained him for 6 months. These are not signs of a company that is out-performing.

Disorganized and Negative Experience

I have been working at Movoto full-time

Pros

Many of the people who work for the company are very nice and friendly.

Cons

Pay is way below industry level, and getting worse, no paid time off and no bonuses. Very disorganized work environment. No clear goals, lots of pressure to deliver but no one directs you on what or how to deliver. Depressive office environment. Many of the managers are not constructive--they don't explain things they want changed, how or why. Figure everything out yourself. Just a critical and fear inducing environment. The company pretends to emphasize fun but there is really nothing fun about working there. It is just a job to pay the bills until you can move on to something else.

Increase salaries, provide better benefits, fire most of the managers and start over, and stop bullshitting everyone with the company values which really are a complete coverup and don't actually stand for anything the company is about.

Worked for Movoto? Contribute to the Community!