Moxie Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated August 26, 2014
2.8

Moxie President Suzy Deering
Suzy Deering

Pros
  • The office space is nice, free lunch on Fridays and decent benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits thanks to being under the umbrella of a European parent company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Account leads and Senior Management rarely attempt to control their clients (in 9 reviews)

• High-turnover; low moral; crappy client work (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful, collaborative environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance with this company, with the typical work hard, play hard philosophy. They have added great things like treat Tuesdays and Free Lunch Fridays that really make employees feel appreciated. My department is really close, we like each other and value each other's input, which is hard to find.

Cons

No real investment in training yet. I've been to free conferences, but no training or conferences that I feel would really help me grow professionally. There doesn't seem to be anyone concerned with that aspect of professional development. There also isn't really any opportunities for mentorship within management. It's really difficult to move within departments, lots of politics with that at the expense of the employee.

More professional development opportunities and opportunities for training on software that is critical to my daily efficiency and output. Also, regular reviews for both salary and title, right now it seems putting in your notice to leave is really the best way to get a raise in salary, title or both.

Great people, great culture, lots of senior management issues.

I have been working at Moxie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/Life balance was great and made it really feel like an "agency" environment. Awesome benefits and perks.

Cons

Somewhat difficult to move up, not a lot of collaboration between departments, a lot of talk about doing stuff, but the wheels would just keep turning and never get done.

Invest more in your talent. It was far too easy to find a better job elsewhere than it was for Moxie to hold on to good workers.

Awful management, hostile work environment, no rhyme or reason to anything they do or produce.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time

Pros

The office space is nice, free lunch on Fridays and decent benefits. The name of the clients they have will look good on your resume.

Cons

Where do I start? Maybe with my direct manager being moved to another team leaving an entire department without any type of leadership. Maybe it's with the VP of said department thinking it's okay to cuss at employees. Or Account Executives making up blatant lies about their team to cover the fact they botched the client relationship MONTHS ago. Or how about when confidential medical and business matters are discussed behind closed doors in HR and then you find out your supervisor was talking about these matters to people on your team outside of HR for no reason other than to gossip. Or maybe the fact that they think it's acceptable to call you the day you took off of work for surgery asking about work...or call you at a funeral because there is no internal structure of organization so you can't take a day off without the world falling apart. Oh, their media team knows nothing about implementing media, there's no such thing as training or mentorship and the 60+ hours a week you work is considered "nothing" and to work any less than that is unacceptable.

After leaving the hell mouth that is Moxie, I have met with dozens of ad agencies both very small and very large who cringe when I told them I worked for these people. Most of them take pity on me and the other half go on for at least 15-20 minutes with their own horror stories on what an awful business they run and how terribly they treat their employees.

All it's going to take is one large client to realize what a sham they are and the walls will come crumbling down...my money is Nike realizes it first and that will be the first domino to get things rolling.

Grow up and learn to look at the larger picture...the Executive team needs to look at the managers running their company and invest some time into training them on how to actually MANAGE their teams so they don't have to fire them to hide their own mistakes or force them to quit.

Oh and don't talk about things that were discussed in HR outside of HR...seriously? Amateur hour. Oh and when your team is spewing racist and homophobic commentary during work hours in the name of "humor" you might want to take a second and discipline them...

Very bad management

Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can bring your stinky animal to work to poop all over the office

Cons

People have pet's there. Leadership is horrible.

Take a look at yourself.

Attempting to create a farm of workhorses with low moral, bad culture, and terrible management

Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, paid-for cell phones with unlimited service, don't have to worry about getting fired even if you suck

Cons

Destroyed our company culture after merger, absolutely no visible effort put in to making employees happy, only care about money and work, drudgery and worker bee vibe, an attempt at an agency with a corporate workflow and atmosphere, everyone has a terrible attitude and no one wants to have fun

Stop worrying about whether work is getting done and try to make this a better place to work, place trust in your employees, HIRE better employees, listen to them, and try to keep them around. I haven't been around Moxie long, and I definitely don't want to be. Stop requiring a blanket-minimum of 40 hours a week regardless of how much work is to be done and instead encourage employees to relax and work less when the work is light so that when work is heavier, employees will have a greater desire to put in time to get things done when it matters. Give me a desire to impress you. Give your employees incentives to work hard and enjoy their accomplishments other than "Oh, good job."

A tough environment but one where a lot can be learned

Former Employee - Account Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot and have opportunities for wide exposure to mobile, digital, in-store, social and media
    Agency perks--free caffeine, dog friendly environment, casual atmosphere and dress, free monthly lunches

Cons

Atlanta office is heavily focused on Verizon, the largest client. Little opportunity to work on other lines of business or be exposed to other clients
    Agency leadership was quick to make sweeping organizational changes with little forethought resulting in an exodus from the Account management department
    Work-life balance is challenging

Moxie is a great place to build your career

Current Employee - ACD in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - ACD in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free lunch Friday, Beer Friday, 401k matching combined with really smart people make this a great place to establish yourself and flex your career muscles. You're expected to work hard...and you should!

Cons

There aren't any cons that other agencies don't have. There's lots of work, and sometimes tempers flare and situations aren't handled the way they should. There's definitely a bit of favoritism, and type-casting.

Continue to foster a spirit of collaboration, and learn to value people's opinions about the changing landscape. Change is hard...but don't punish people for not always understanding your vision. Part of that is on you as leaders.

Account Management

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, good benefits, good brands.

Cons

Poor creative, average thought leadership, average exec leadership.

Pure and Utter Hell!

Current Employee - Media Planner in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Media Planner in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beer Friday, health benefits (only because of Publicis as the parent company) and although we have a lot of days off, you have to work even when you are on your deathbed..

Cons

I have worked at quite a few agencies, even publisher side and have held multiple different roles and I have to say, this is the absolute worst place I have ever worked at.. Shoveling elephant poop at the zoo would be a step up.. Insane hours (like 90+ hours a week), absolutely no help from "upper management", no training, basically it's like being an indentured servant.. I would cut off a limb just to get the hell out of there and could write about my utter hatred for this company but it would literally be a novel

No reason to even provide advice as they have never and will never listen... Run as FAST as you can people!!!!

Aw snap - you have entered the 7th ring of hell

I have been working at Moxie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

80% of the people (that is most people not in management) are great people to work with. Beer at 3 on Friday, free lunch every other Friday ample days off.

Cons

Management is disconnected from reality. Titles and salaries are handed out like beer and free lunch just to keep sad people in roles they never wanted and don't fit.

Stop hiring people for jobs you don't intend to let them do. Psych tests for some of your managers - there are a few that are seriously messed up. Take the beer money and put it into real tools and systems to help us do our jobs. Stop telling us what you will do and actually get off the phone or out of your chair and actually do something.

Moxie Photos