Moxie Reviews

Reset
2.4
Moxie President Suzy Deering
Suzy Deering

Pros
  • They have added great things like treat Tuesdays and Free Lunch Fridays that really make employees feel appreciated (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits and time off policies (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Today senior management seems intent on replacing the last vestiges of 'good' employees with their own useless cronies (in 9 reviews)

• High-turnover; low moral; crappy client work (in 7 reviews)

mixed bag

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

It is a fun environment - but that does not make up for some serious issues in how employees are treated

Cons

Issues with management - people work very hard & are not appreciated. Some managers have very bad management skills; some are great

Advice to Management

Employees need more positive feedback. Watch the first-line managers closely - they can drive people away. Managers should not waste time and motivation with negativity and micro-managing.

Senior management turned a great place into a miserable agency

I worked at Moxie

Pros

Really talented people and great team mates who I love working with.

Cons

Where to start? The senior leader (CEO) at Moxie has turned what used to be a great place to work into a Hunger Games environment. It has set the stage for a backstabby, throwing people under the bus kind of culture, and the sheer amount of disrespect paid to both the great leaders (who either left or were shown the door) and junior level people who weren't in her "club" is truly astounding. What's worse is that Zenith allows it to continue. Moxie is the worst work environment I've ever been a part of.

Advice to Management

Why bother? No one pays attention to how miserable people are. You would think the turnover alone would result in some kind of action, but clearly not.

3. Poor leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suwanee, GA

I worked at Moxie (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment and talented people.

Cons

Poor communication from leadership.

Advice to Management

Get it together.

The house of smoke and mirrors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The parent company is European so you get a generous amount of days off.

Cons

Those days off mentioned previously, you'll be hard pressed to take them as they work you like a slave. The cons FAR out way the pros. Think of the worst job that you've ever had and multiply that by infinity and you'll know whats it's like to work for Moxie.

Advice to Management

Stop being dishonest with employees, actually read the surveys you ask employees to take and do something with the feedback, learn how to manage people.

Dishonest, disheartening, disappointing

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some incredibly bright mid-level employees/worker bees. Great offices with fun perks (Moxie Mayhem, Free Lunch Fridays, random holiday celebrations, etc). Dogs in the office.

Moxie will pay top dollar, so always ask for more. They are happy to waste money. If you travel, select the most expensive flights, hotels and restaurants. Moxie is happy to pay it and bill their clients. The least effective people get the most astronomical paychecks, so act accordingly.

Cons

Upper management is completely detached from the day-to-day work. Employees are not given the support they need to do their jobs, and upper management is quick to let an employee go rather than solve the actual problems.

Politics. If you aren't in with the right people, then your job is at risk. The "right people" are rarely effective employees who care about the work, and are far more often people who seek power through dishonesty, manipulation and politics.

HR DOES NOT WORK FOR THE EMPLOYEES. If you have a problem, DO NOT take it to HR as they exclusively serve upper management. Actual Human Resources issues are resolved to the benefit of the people in power, and everyone else suffers.

This is a company that will ignore the basic human needs of employees. This is a company that experiences turnover on an epic scale, doesn't train new employees properly, and is quick to pass blame on anyone but themselves. This is a company that makes no effort to respect individual employee career paths and long-term goals. This is a company that will replace employees while they are on medical or maternity leave, then treat them poorly when they return. This is a company that allows and encourages toxic relationships with clients that negatively impact employee health, well-being, motivation, and quality of life. This is a company that cares nothing for individual employees.

While at Moxie I had a VP from another department scream in my face multiple times with no rational provocation and no reprimand. I witnessed obvious lies that were accepted as truth because it wasn't worth it to fight the powerful liar. I saw more verbal abuse than I ever thought imaginable from a company with such a fun exterior. I saw personal relationships that led to promotions, despite an obvious lack of competence from the person being promoted.

Advice to Management

You need to take a critical eye to the way things are done at Moxie. Don't create a huge process or deck or inspirational quote to show how things should be done. Talk to your employees. Stop making everyone a Senior VP. Trim the upper management fat, focus on your worker bees, and forbid gossip and politically motivated decisions. Advise HR to stop pandering to you and start working for the employees. Make it easy for employees to report problems, and allow anonymous reports because the current culture doesn't support the level of communication that is needed to fix the problem. Stop focusing on growth and focus on repairing the massive communication/political/management problems.

House of Cards

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mid level (worker bees) are some of the most talented hard working folks in the business.

Cons

Dishonest and unethical senior leadership. I witnessed some of the most underhanded antics by the "leadership" team. Moxie drains the joy from your life.

8. Great company to work for

Former Employee - Media Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Media Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very supportive senior staff and integrated team

Cons

Work with some tough clients.

Advice to Management

Need to create more cross-group discussion

Meh.

I have been working at Moxie

Pros

It's aight, you know what I'm saying?

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Dogs everywhere.

Not what you would hope

Former Employee - Executive Producer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Producer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Moxie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a great track record, seemed to be behind their people and somewhat fair as far as production companies go

Cons

No loyalty whatsoever, completely down-graded pay of women, fired with no cause and did not offer an severance or assistance in form of recommendation, etc. for high level exec being terminated for political reasons.

Advice to Management

Try cultivating creative talent. For starters, don't use as your send-off, "We fire lots of people" when asked for a legitimate reason to completely dismantle someone's livelihood after verbal commitments otherwise.

Awesome and Amazing People When I was There

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie

Pros

From a creative stand point, it was a great experience for me. I had amazing AD's that truly cared about my growth. Moxie was and possibly still is a family for most. Everyone had each others back, especially in creative. If you were over whelmed you knew you could count on a team member to help you overcome. All the departments meshed extremely well. The environment at Moxie was awesome during my time there.

Cons

There was a lot of shifts once the company was acquired. It started to lose its mojo and many of the individuals that gave Moxie it's moxie, left. Which prompted me to do the same.

Advice to Management

From what I have seen recently, from the outside looking in, Moxie is starting to get that Mojo back, so keep doing what you're doing and instilling confidence in your employees. I will always be in the rooting for Moxie, I gained so much from many individuals who have left and also from those who still roam those halls.

RSS Feed </> Embed