Moxie

Updated January 9, 2015
2.9

Moxie President Suzy Deering
Suzy Deering

Pros
  • The office space is nice, free lunch on Fridays and decent benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Great benefits thanks to being under the umbrella of a European parent company (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Account leads and Senior Management rarely attempt to control their clients (in 9 reviews)

• High-turnover; low moral; crappy client work (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Wonderful, collaborative environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance with this company, with the typical work hard, play hard philosophy. They have added great things like treat Tuesdays and Free Lunch Fridays that really make employees feel appreciated. My department is really close, we like each other and value each other's input, which is hard to find.

Cons

No real investment in training yet. I've been to free conferences, but no training or conferences that I feel would really help me grow professionally. There doesn't seem to be anyone concerned with that aspect of professional development. There also isn't really any opportunities for mentorship within management. It's really difficult to move within departments, lots of politics with that at the expense of the employee.

More professional development opportunities and opportunities for training on software that is critical to my daily efficiency and output. Also, regular reviews for both salary and title, right now it seems putting in your notice to leave is really the best way to get a raise in salary, title or both.

Fun for a while, then completely disorganized. Ineffective leadership and high turnover.

I have been working at Moxie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the staff are a young, fun group. Benefits were good, perks were good. Strong client resume with big names that are sure to impress your next job. Catered "Free Lunch Fridays", and snacks and beverages. Casual atmosphere.

Cons

Compensation is not very competitive, based on the amount of work required. Disorganized, pathetic management and leadership. It seems like the management and executive teams are always pointing a finger at their subordinates, throwing them under the bus (so to speak), so that morale is significantly reduced. Working like-a-dog kind of overtime hours, rendering their employees unable to take the days off as designated in their employment agreements, which leads to frustration and causing work/life balance to suffer. HR doesn't seem to care, address, or even acknowledge these issues. It doesn't appear that raises and promotions occur very often. It's only a matter of time before it all falls apart, IF the Executive and Management Teams don't get it together.

Do what you say, and HONOR other staff members' agreements for employment. LEAD with transparency and RESPECT your team. DON'T POINT THE FINGER at work which you complain is not of the quality that you expect. Which, of course, leads back to expectations of quality which can only be achieved with proper LEADERSHIP and TRANSPARENCY of the "Vision" for the projects. I left as a direct result of the behavior and lack of structure and cohesive leadership by my direct report. Shape it up!

Pretty good but room for improvement

I have been working at Moxie full-time

Pros

Great pay. Great benefits - 401K, lots of vacation days, health benefits are excellent. Free lunch every Friday, free drinks (beer, etc), free snacks. Can bring your dog to work. Pretty fun and creative environment.

Cons

They work you like a DOG. Lots of vacation days that you can never take because.....you're working like a dog. Management needs a leadership retreat like....last month.

1 - Acquire more clients. Lemme say that again. ACQUIRE MORE CLIENTS. That would alleviate MOST of the disdain of working there. The majority of the workforce works on one client so if they ever got pissed off and fired the company as a vendor? It would be a wrap for the company REALLY fast. This needs to be management's main focus.

2 - Stop being so concerned about deadlines and actually foster an environment that thrives on creating good work...not just throwing some sh*t together to make a deadline and then blaming the workforce when the work could have been better. If we had more clients we would have the ability to push back on dates so we could give them something really amazing. But. Our portfolio doesn't lend itself for that to happen. So.....Refer to #1.

3 - Management needs to go to leadership training. PRONTO. There are so many smart people there who need to be LEAD and not MANAGED. Learn how to create a following and rally people behind you. Create ambassadors. Again. GO TO LEADERSHIP TRAINING. Maybe stop feeding us for a few months so yall can go to leadership training. That money is much better spent that way.

4 - Take ownership for when YOU mess up. Nobody will follow you when they know the truth but you get in front of the larger team and lie about what really happened in an attempt to CYA. Transparency and honesty usually creates willing followers. Again....Refer to #3.

5 - Hire people who are actually qualified to be in the positions you hire them for. Don't hire your friends. Refer to #3.

Seems like management is doing the best they can - I guess - but they need a leadership retreat so they can relax, regroup, and put a better plan together. And they need to get an OUTSIDE leadership professional to help them do it.

Great people, great culture, lots of senior management issues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/Life balance was great and made it really feel like an "agency" environment. Awesome benefits and perks.

Cons

Somewhat difficult to move up, not a lot of collaboration between departments, a lot of talk about doing stuff, but the wheels would just keep turning and never get done.

Invest more in your talent. It was far too easy to find a better job elsewhere than it was for Moxie to hold on to good workers.

Awful management, hostile work environment, no rhyme or reason to anything they do or produce.

I have been working at Moxie full-time

Pros

The office space is nice, free lunch on Fridays and decent benefits. The name of the clients they have will look good on your resume.

Cons

Where do I start? Maybe with my direct manager being moved to another team leaving an entire department without any type of leadership. Maybe it's with the VP of said department thinking it's okay to cuss at employees. Or Account Executives making up blatant lies about their team to cover the fact they botched the client relationship MONTHS ago. Or how about when confidential medical and business matters are discussed behind closed doors in HR and then you find out your supervisor was talking about these matters to people on your team outside of HR for no reason other than to gossip. Or maybe the fact that they think it's acceptable to call you the day you took off of work for surgery asking about work...or call you at a funeral because there is no internal structure of organization so you can't take a day off without the world falling apart. Oh, their media team knows nothing about implementing media, there's no such thing as training or mentorship and the 60+ hours a week you work is considered "nothing" and to work any less than that is unacceptable.

After leaving the hell mouth that is Moxie, I have met with dozens of ad agencies both very small and very large who cringe when I told them I worked for these people. Most of them take pity on me and the other half go on for at least 15-20 minutes with their own horror stories on what an awful business they run and how terribly they treat their employees.

All it's going to take is one large client to realize what a sham they are and the walls will come crumbling down...my money is Nike realizes it first and that will be the first domino to get things rolling.

Grow up and learn to look at the larger picture...the Executive team needs to look at the managers running their company and invest some time into training them on how to actually MANAGE their teams so they don't have to fire them to hide their own mistakes or force them to quit.

Oh and don't talk about things that were discussed in HR outside of HR...seriously? Amateur hour. Oh and when your team is spewing racist and homophobic commentary during work hours in the name of "humor" you might want to take a second and discipline them...

Attempting to create a farm of workhorses with low moral, bad culture, and terrible management

Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front-End Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Moxie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, paid-for cell phones with unlimited service, don't have to worry about getting fired even if you suck

Cons

Destroyed our company culture after merger, absolutely no visible effort put in to making employees happy, only care about money and work, drudgery and worker bee vibe, an attempt at an agency with a corporate workflow and atmosphere, everyone has a terrible attitude and no one wants to have fun

Stop worrying about whether work is getting done and try to make this a better place to work, place trust in your employees, HIRE better employees, listen to them, and try to keep them around. I haven't been around Moxie long, and I definitely don't want to be. Stop requiring a blanket-minimum of 40 hours a week regardless of how much work is to be done and instead encourage employees to relax and work less when the work is light so that when work is heavier, employees will have a greater desire to put in time to get things done when it matters. Give me a desire to impress you. Give your employees incentives to work hard and enjoy their accomplishments other than "Oh, good job."

Ready for change

I have been working at Moxie full-time

Pros

agency-life, vendor outings, name clients

Cons

over worked, under paid, turnover, open office in ATL

Very bad management

Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can bring your stinky animal to work to poop all over the office

Cons

People have pet's there. Leadership is horrible.

Take a look at yourself.

It was good, but very dependent on leadership.

I worked at Moxie

Pros

Great fun environment, ability to move across various projects and take on new things if you have the desire to do so.

Cons

Leadership was troubling but over time it seems as though they are finally finding their footing again.

You felt great when you held on to a small start-up ethic, rather than a big corporate entity lost in the shadows on Publicis.

A tough environment but one where a lot can be learned

Former Employee - Account Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Account Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Moxie full-time

Pros

You will learn a lot and have opportunities for wide exposure to mobile, digital, in-store, social and media
    Agency perks--free caffeine, dog friendly environment, casual atmosphere and dress, free monthly lunches

Cons

Atlanta office is heavily focused on Verizon, the largest client. Little opportunity to work on other lines of business or be exposed to other clients
    Agency leadership was quick to make sweeping organizational changes with little forethought resulting in an exodus from the Account management department
    Work-life balance is challenging