Mozilla

Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich

Brendan Eich

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mozilla full-time for more than a year

ProsOpenness; Employee Rewards; Events and Participation; Huge volunteers and contributors.
Feasibilty to switch profiles, gets a lot of help from the management. Asks for suggestions whenever needed. Can work from remote as well.

ConsHaven't seen any cons till now and hope I won't see any in the future. Everything is a pro.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay as it is!

Sinking boat

I have been working at Mozilla full-time for more than a year

Pros- Relaxed atmosphere. Good place if you want to have a good work/life balance.
- Friendly coworkers and the ability to work with a passionate community
- Office locations are premium and you can work from wherever you want.
- Good benefits package

Cons- Chaos and lack of direction.
- Firefox is not a priority anymore. Firefox OS (B2G) has killed the culture. Now we are playing by the carrier's rules. If you don't work in Firefox OS expect no visibility of your work. And if you work in Firefox OS expect no understanding of what's happening and when.
- In the last year we have hired way too many corporate leaders who are trying to change how things work. Long time Mozillians are leaving and the ones who stay don't seem really happy.
- This is not the place for you if you want to innovate and launch new products. Only Firefox OS matters and we don't control the go to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegain control over Firefox OS. Carriers need us as much as we need them. Go back to the roots and hire Executives with open source and entrepreneurial background.

passionate, driven, changing the world

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mozilla full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmart, driven, and focused group working hard to change the world. I am fired up every single day and the group works very hard but are also like family.

ConsTough culture developed over years, and needs to change

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of some of the past. Today is much different than when the first browser was introduced.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall okay, but lacking in effective management.

Release Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mozilla full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay and many great employees who really "get" the culture. Other benefits such as free snacks and regular "cantina" parties create a great vibe.

ConsWhile in the past Mozilla has been open company-wide and eager to help its employees, its recent growth has changed the culture considerably and shed a lot of the better work force. A more closed environment has followed, one that shuns speaking up when something is wrong. A lot of "group think" exists now.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and stop firing or delegitimizing your employees, even if they have a minority opinion. Discourage "group think."

It has been one heck of an adventure

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mozilla full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Culture, fun, smart people to work with.

ConsGrowing into a huge Corporate culture

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Awesome People, Awesome Mission.

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mozilla full-time for more than a year

ProsWork is demanding but fulfilling. You make a contribution every day.

ConsSo much to do, so little time!

Advice to Senior ManagementStay in touch with your minions.

Unclear future and chaotic present

I have been working at Mozilla full-time for more than a year

ProsTransparency and flexibility. The company is becoming a corporation but it retains a lot of the values of the start-up that it was and the community focus is great. It's a great place if you want to take it easy. Ability to work from home with no questions.

ConsThe company is trying to figure out what he wants to do. There's a change on focus every month and projects that are in the process to be staffed get deprioritized leaving people with no projects until they can figure out what to do next. Middle management doesn't have the experience to lead the organization, a lot of them have been promoted from the community with no real skill set. Senior employees and executives are leaving and the morale of the company is destroyed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear goals and focus on a strategy for at least a year before pivoting again. Rise the bar at the Director level and monitor low performers.

A great, open workplace working on exciting technology.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe transparency and public openness of the organization meant that I could share my work with the world in a way possible at very few other places.

ConsAt least right now, the products feel like they're playing catch-up, and the old community love seems to have dwindled.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on what defines Mozilla: Freedom, Openness, and the community. Build great product based on those, not just comparing yourself to others.

Mozilla is an amazing place to work where you get to always do the right thing.

I have been working at Mozilla

ProsMozilla is Mission-based organization and nothing trumps the mission so you know you always get to "do the right thing". It's also a collection of some of the smartest people involved in the development of the Web.

ConsMozilla is a non-profit and depends heavily on a volunteer community to be competetive. These are not downsides unless you're unfamiliar with them and unwilling to learn. They do make Mozilla different from pretty much every other Web company though and it's not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMozilla leadership should spend more time creating a sense of urgency among employees. The industry is moving fast and Mozilla employees do not always feel the urgency necessary to compete effectively.

chaos

Humane Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mozilla

Prosnice people, great benefits, good hrs, nice offices, good culture, open door, great bonus, nice equipment, catered food, good coffee

Consmost of the employee base is too young and does not have the experience required to lead, the marketing dept is totally incompetent and under qualified

Advice to Senior Managementa complete re-org of the entire mkg dept from the top down

Worked for Mozilla? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mozilla reviews and ratings in Mountain View, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Mozilla employees.