Mozilla

Mozilla Reviews in Mountain View, CA

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Mozilla Interim CEO Chris Beard

Chris Beard

Pros
  • It's always good to work on open source (in 9 reviews)

• Extremely smart people all over (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you work in Firefox OS expect no understanding of what's happening and when (in 4 reviews)

• Very little opportunity to change teams (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights
25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Huge disappointment

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are some really top people there. It's always good to work on open source. The pay and benefits are good, and regular bonuses.

ConsI expected a relaxed and friendly startup kind of place. Alas, it was by far the most "corporate" and yet least efficient environment I've ever worked in. As one example, it took IT months to get me a work computer. They're now spending $100m/yr on developers. It's very hard to see what that's achieving. Seems as if top talent is wasting its time there compared to what's being achieved at Google, Apple and others. One reason is massive technical debt and an insane codebase.

Political, unstable, and toxic teams that encourages weak leaders to "lead"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsHigh salaries, high bonus, competitive benefits

ConsMozilla is a mess. The CEO bailed almost a year ago. The COO is doing his best to lead the company through extraordinary transition. The executives have been resigning in the last year. I think there are five who have left now.

Mozilla is private and pretty much anything goes. Relationships are important so if you think you're going to go into the job and get it done, think again. You better have solid relationships build around you, and leverage them to your liking, otherwise you'll be alienated or punished in your reviews.

There are teams that are under resourced and others that have over hired. Would be great if there was some strategic direction that identified the margins of revenue-per-employee or some best practices to remove the pressure points.

Expect to work long hours with a lot of unexpected travel. I was initially attracted to the remote worker policy. In reality it means you're working odd hours because of the distribution of the team or traveling to other locations. It's not for everyone but certainly a great opportunity for those who are more flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire your CEO.

Dark times

Manager (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Very flexible culture. You can work from home and depending of your manager you can work in pretty much whatever you want.
    - A lot of travel to different places in the world.
    - Extremely smart people all over.
    - Fairly flat organization and ability to work in cross functional projects.

Cons- Lack of clear vision for the future. The most important thing keeps changing every quarter.
    - Old guard vs new guard conflict.
    - Leadership keeps creating fires and crisis around Firefox OS. They gave up control of our future to carriers.
    - No Marketing leadership. Very engineering driven organization in a commoditized industry.
    - No CEO. 6 C levels have left in the past year.
    - Lots of middle managers that add little to no value.
    - Global organization with teams spread across the globe. Anything that requires multiple people tends to be slow, very slow.
    - Consensus driven work. Getting things done is very, very time consuming.
    - Very little opportunity to change teams.

Advice to Senior Management- Due diligence of teams and middle managers. Particularly at the Director level, there's a lot of wasted resources.
    - Keep focusing on few products that can have the largest impact.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking boat

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Relaxed atmosphere. Good place if you want to have a good work/life balance.
    - Friendly coworkers and the ability to work with a passionate community
    - Office locations are premium and you can work from wherever you want.
    - Good benefits package

Cons- Chaos and lack of direction.
    - Firefox is not a priority anymore. Firefox OS (B2G) has killed the culture. Now we are playing by the carrier's rules. If you don't work in Firefox OS expect no visibility of your work. And if you work in Firefox OS expect no understanding of what's happening and when.
    - In the last year we have hired way too many corporate leaders who are trying to change how things work. Long time Mozillians are leaving and the ones who stay don't seem really happy.
    - This is not the place for you if you want to innovate and launch new products. Only Firefox OS matters and we don't control the go to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegain control over Firefox OS. Carriers need us as much as we need them. Go back to the roots and hire Executives with open source and entrepreneurial background.

chaos

Humane Resources (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Prosnice people, great benefits, good hrs, nice offices, good culture, open door, great bonus, nice equipment, catered food, good coffee

Consmost of the employee base is too young and does not have the experience required to lead, the marketing dept is totally incompetent and under qualified

Advice to Senior Managementa complete re-org of the entire mkg dept from the top down

Fun work at times, but it's like cats with no herding power, tasked with herding cats

Product Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are many interesting things to work on, especially if you love the web. They offer flexible workdays and other employee perks.

ConsThe company lacks direction beyond the (very) high-level goals. Most of the org is in service to Firefox OS - this is necessary given the company's direction, but sucks resources from other projects.

Directors and VPs seem very disconnected from PMs and engineers (the caveat is Firefox OS, that immediate team is run better than most). This causes mismatches in expectations and frustration to those down the reporting chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time actually looking at why teams are in the state they are. There are too many decisions made based on emotion and non-empirical, subjective feelings.

Great values, but many directions

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

Pros- Lots of smart people that would love to help you out with your work.
    - Everything is open source. All of your work goes back to the community. You get paid to build out your Github profile!
    - Plenty of PTO; unexpected paid vacations!
    - Mozilla has an energy that no other company I've worked for has. Everyone is excited about the future of the products.
    - There's a great community that will help you with your work! People are excited to help make your product better.
    - Lots of paid travel all around the world.
    - Every office has an appropriately complicated coffee making machine. Mountain View, for instance, has an automatic latte machine. SF has an exceptionally hipster espresso press.

Cons- Oftentimes too much management. Carriers and third parties have started to drive product decisions, and everything seems to be an emergency.
    - There's an attitude of "it's not good unless it's changing". Products get bloated with features that nobody cares about and technical debt falls by the wayside.
    - Entire teams are remote. When I started, most of my team was in the office I was in. The overwhelming majority of my department is now remote, and people keep moving away.
    - Don't expect to be able to change teams. If the team you want to move to doesn't have headcount, you're out of luck. I've tried changing teams and the only opportunity I had was to fill a vacancy that would open in the following quarter.
    - Mozilla has more paid staff than some of its products have active users. If you don't work on Firefox, don't expect to be reaching millions of people.
    - Depending on what team you're on, you shouldn't expect to participate in activities with your coworkers: partly because they're probably remote and partly because they just don't happen very often. In the two years I've been here, I've seen most of my coworkers in person exactly one time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe solution to good management is to stop hiring managers. If you see problems that seem to need more managers to handle, it's better to get rid of the problem than it is to cover it up with bureaucracy.

Overall okay, but lacking in effective management.

Release Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat pay and many great employees who really "get" the culture. Other benefits such as free snacks and regular "cantina" parties create a great vibe.

ConsWhile in the past Mozilla has been open company-wide and eager to help its employees, its recent growth has changed the culture considerably and shed a lot of the better work force. A more closed environment has followed, one that shuns speaking up when something is wrong. A lot of "group think" exists now.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and stop firing or delegitimizing your employees, even if they have a minority opinion. Discourage "group think."

It has been one heck of an adventure

Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsGreat Culture, fun, smart people to work with.

ConsGrowing into a huge Corporate culture

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Unclear future and chaotic present

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsTransparency and flexibility. The company is becoming a corporation but it retains a lot of the values of the start-up that it was and the community focus is great. It's a great place if you want to take it easy. Ability to work from home with no questions.

ConsThe company is trying to figure out what he wants to do. There's a change on focus every month and projects that are in the process to be staffed get deprioritized leaving people with no projects until they can figure out what to do next. Middle management doesn't have the experience to lead the organization, a lot of them have been promoted from the community with no real skill set. Senior employees and executives are leaving and the morale of the company is destroyed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear goals and focus on a strategy for at least a year before pivoting again. Rise the bar at the Director level and monitor low performers.

Worked for Mozilla? Contribute to the Community!