Mozilla

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

Mozilla CEO Chris Beard
Chris Beard

Pros
  • Good compensation for working in open source (in 10 reviews)

• Extremely smart people all over (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you work in Firefox OS expect no understanding of what's happening and when (in 7 reviews)

• Moreover, it is open source so everything has to be proper (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

You get to do stuff for the betterment of the world

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Basically, you get paid to do what you love. You get a lot of freedom to propose projects that improve the web, and often support to do them. People are top-notch.

Cons

The old guard are awesome. The middle-guard have entitlement issues, as they seem to feel free to work on anything they want and continue to get paid. There's a mission, guys. Let's do the mission. And get paid.

Keep doing what you're doing. Mission. Product. Chris Beard, you rock.

Disasterous

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Win the management lottery and you get a vibrant team with healthy motivations.
    Strong (non-cash) benefits.
    CEO and Executive Chair deserve an amazing amount of respect. They are what made Mozilla great.

Cons

Disasterous management philosophies and approach.
    Employee morale is at the lowest I've seen in almost 8 years. Punitive management styles tear down all motivation.
    HR is ineffective, if not outright deceitful.
    Extremely inconsistent application of company culture. Some employees get to attend industry conferences or travel to meet the rest of their team for work weeks, others have it outright banned by their management.

Remember that you're managing human beings, not resources. Don't punish employees for not behaving exactly like the gigantic engineering organization you just left at your last company. The latest Gartner-blessed best practice for a 10,000 person company does not translate to a 6 person team. Learn how to lead instead of constantly regurgitating something you read last week in a book. Some employees are burdened with 20+ hours of administrative meetings each week while being criticized for lack of output.

Sadly wasted opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bright, friendly people
    Good compensation and benefits (although cutbacks are starting to happen)
    Ability to work remotely
    Nice office spaces in Mountain View, San Francisco and other locations

Cons

Absolutely disastrous management. The new CEO appears completely unsuited to the role and is beginning to implement petty, short-sighted, ineffective employee management strategies that are highly likely to result in backlash from an already burned-out, resentful, over-tasked work force. Mozilla has talent and smarts, but not in the executive ranks.

I think a complete sweep of current management is necessary to save the company. Bring in competent outsiders with some vision and experience. I doubt this will happen, however, so I see little chance of a long term future for this company.

Great people but needs help on strategy and leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (more than an year)

Pros

• Great, smart people
    • Ability to work on products that are used by millions
    • Incredibly dedicated community
    • Ability to travel and work remotely
    • Good compensation for working in open source
    • More transparent than other companies with the ability to have an open dialogue with management and co-workers.

Cons

• Because of the work remotely policy offices (at least in the Bay Area) were empty. If you like to work in person with your co-workers you will struggle here.
    • Far more corporate and "big company" than I expected with all the politics, bureaucracy and indecision I had experienced at large companies I had worked for.
    • Strategy on my own product and company overall was unclear. This made the culture tense and sometimes toxic.
    • Too many things to do and not enough resources.

• Re-evaluate workspaces in San Francisco and Mountain View and either scale down facilities or think of other ways (splitting space with small companies, creating a co-working space, etc.) so offices are more full and lively.
    • Make sure that cultural fit is a high priority for hiring.
    • Quit acting scared and fear-based. Build morale.
    • Focus on where Mozilla can have an impact instead of trying to partner with strange bedfellows (operators) or directly competing with much bigger companies with thick pockets (Google).
    • Figure out what the future is going to look like and aim there. Don't over invest in legacy products (browser).

great engineering couldn't say the same about HR

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

learned a lot. loved my team! I worked on very interesting and different projects. tried both front end and back end. worked with the latest technologies out there.

Cons

slow and ineffective HR..had to wait a lot for offer and also for other stuff. luck of professionalism ..also politics sucks!

t

Amazing professional experience...not so good because of HR

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I worked in a dream team. I loved the interaction with all members. I learned a lot and never got bored. I would hardly find a better team at some other company.

Cons

If the Engineering experience was amazing couldn't say the same about HR. I felt frustrated all the time when I had to interact with this department as they were late all the time and lost my papers once. The interview process was so long because of HR.

Trust your Engineers more and fire some people at HR when they don't do their job.

Lack of vision and leadership

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent engineers. Extremely smart engineers and very passionate team. Google plays a big role here.

Cons

Worst leadership team ever. Firefox OS product management has no clue what direction to go

Please get some external help

Not as great as it used to be

Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Interaction Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Lots of autonomy
    - Very developer focused
    - Pretty good benefits and perks
    - Feeling like you're contributing and working for a non-profit

Cons

- Development is king, all other positions are not as important or valued
    - More profit driven now
    - Product enthusiasm: People are more with Google Chrome instead of Firefox, Firefox OS is way too behind Android, iOS and even Windows Phone, and Thunderbird hasn't been updated in ages.
    - Not what it was 2-3 years ago, focus doesn't feel like it isn't about the open web anymore, more so on keeping the organization alive with profits.
    - Reliance on Google to sustain the revenue/money is too scary

Figure out better ways to sustain the company without losing out on the mission Stay true to the culture and hire people who are willing to go the extra mile to make the web a more open and better place.

Not the mission driven, good works company it was when I joined

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can work from anywhere, the vacation time is quite generous by US standards (4 weeks a year). Mozilla is big name to put on your resume that still gets some respect from recruiters.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be any paths for advancement in the company anymore. After two re-orgs (and four CEOs) in two years the company seems more interesting in putting the cogs into the places it needs them than it is finding a good balance between individual's career goals and the work the company needs to do. There doesn't seem to by anyone steering the ship, so different groups will often be working on the same problem without any collaboration or idea that anyone else in the company is working on the same thing. Pay for new comers is good, but the company doesn't keep up with the rising salaries in the tech industry and you will very quickly be making below the average salary in the industry, and the company is actively trying to keep employes below average salary for their position. With very few paths "up the ladder" your pay will stagnate pretty quickly.

Pick a direction and move that way as a whole. Start investing in the employees instead of moving them around like chess pieces, they're people with feelings and goals and ambitions that are largely being ignored.

Great environment, but lacks direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Very nice and smart people
    - Work schedule flexibility
    - Competitive pay
    - People are happy
    - Informal and friendly environment
    - Interesting products and projects

Cons

It all starts to get wrong when it comes do leading you in the right direction / developing your career. You will hardly make any career progress. Leadership is broken. I felt like no one gave a damn about what I was doing. Working hard or doing nothing seems to result in the same "That's nice" feedback. Teams are distributed; there's lack of communication, and way too much teammates working from home / going off the radar suddenly. As a result, things generally move at an extremely slow pace. I burned out trying to bring my career to a next level, and eventually resigned after realizing this is not the place to be in the long-term.

Also, this is probably one of the fewest big, well-known tech companies in the valley that *doesn't* offer lunch every day. They have catered lunches once per week only. Not cool, especially when every other big and medium-sized company is offering daily lunch (even startups.. come on!). It is ironic how Mozilla spends thousands of dollars on "work weeks", where they fly entire teams across the world and put them in nice, fancy hotels to work for a week in another Mozilla office, and yet it is not willing to pay for lunch during the week. I'd rather not have to worry about my lunch than going out for a week to another office.