Mozilla

Mozilla Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Mozilla Interim CEO Chris Beard

Chris Beard

Pros
  • It's always good to work on open source (in 9 reviews)

• Extremely smart people all over (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you work in Firefox OS expect no understanding of what's happening and when (in 4 reviews)

• Very little opportunity to change teams (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Work, with purpose

ProsExcellent coworkers, working on important problems.

ConsSometimes decision making process can lag.

Great mission, great benefits and work/life balance, dysfunctional team dynamics.

ProsMozilla has a great mission that aligns volunteers and paid staff. Hours depend on your team but most teams work reasonable hours. Very smart co-workers. Great benefits.

ConsInternal company culture still being formed. Management still aligning on strategy.

Career suicide

ProsVery passionate engineers. Love to create world class products and always looking to do good work

ConsHorrendous leadership, don't stand up for employees in their team. Career growth is usually zero. No fresh ideas are ever considered and breed only ideas that don't work.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are not serious about the Firefox OS phones. You've no strategy and will never be able to make this take off.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice Experience

Developer (Former Employee) Remote, OR

ProsGreat community, up-to-date technology, flexible work hours.
    Community and the development team you work with are always ready to help you.

ConsYou need to cope up with the pace of other team members.
    As the man force is less, you work will be highly appreciated so it should be quality work.
    Moreover, it is open source so everything has to be proper.

Culture Matters

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood compensation (especially if you're coming from the nonprofit world), opportunities to work globally and contribute to a positive vision for the future of the internet.

ConsOrganizational politics can be a nightmare to navigate, especially if you don't have the support of your direct supervisor or, more importantly, the leadership team. Diversity policies consistently problematic, regardless of the authentic efforts of some of the "People Team."

Advice to Senior ManagementValue non-devs as much as you value devs. Provide more internal mobility in the event that an employee doesn't fit well in their first team assignment.

Great environment and flexibility, needs more leadership

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- interesting products
    - flexibility of working hours, location
    - employees are true believers
    - very value-based organization

Cons- very difficult to progress career, determine what's needed for promotion
    - some leadership very junior

Advice to Senior Management- be careful of louder voices silencing quieter ones
    - don't just turn engineers into leaders - make sure they are empathetic team-builders

Very different company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Fantastic people
    - Huge bonus
    - Some teams are good to work with
    - Flexibility

Cons- Too much politics in some teams
    - Teams are too distributed making it difficult for everything

Advice to Senior Management- Throw politics out and increase transparency
    - Stick to Mozilla values
    - Communicate very clearly to employees and the community

Fun work at times, but it's like cats with no herding power, tasked with herding cats

Product Manager (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThere are many interesting things to work on, especially if you love the web. They offer flexible workdays and other employee perks.

ConsThe company lacks direction beyond the (very) high-level goals. Most of the org is in service to Firefox OS - this is necessary given the company's direction, but sucks resources from other projects.

Directors and VPs seem very disconnected from PMs and engineers (the caveat is Firefox OS, that immediate team is run better than most). This causes mismatches in expectations and frustration to those down the reporting chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time actually looking at why teams are in the state they are. There are too many decisions made based on emotion and non-empirical, subjective feelings.

downhill

Prosfree snacks. most perks are going away, I guess we have good healthcare, not that I have many medical problems

ConsCompany is starting to lack direction, most of the steering committee is gone. Not sure about the future of the company

Political, unstable, and toxic teams that encourages weak leaders to "lead"

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsHigh salaries, high bonus, competitive benefits

ConsMozilla is a mess. The CEO bailed almost a year ago. The COO is doing his best to lead the company through extraordinary transition. The executives have been resigning in the last year. I think there are five who have left now.

Mozilla is private and pretty much anything goes. Relationships are important so if you think you're going to go into the job and get it done, think again. You better have solid relationships build around you, and leverage them to your liking, otherwise you'll be alienated or punished in your reviews.

There are teams that are under resourced and others that have over hired. Would be great if there was some strategic direction that identified the margins of revenue-per-employee or some best practices to remove the pressure points.

Expect to work long hours with a lot of unexpected travel. I was initially attracted to the remote worker policy. In reality it means you're working odd hours because of the distribution of the team or traveling to other locations. It's not for everyone but certainly a great opportunity for those who are more flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire your CEO.

Worked for Mozilla? Contribute to the Community!