Mozilla

Updated November 7, 2014
3.2

Mozilla CEO Chris Beard
Chris Beard

Pros
  • Good compensation for working in open source (in 10 reviews)

• Extremely smart people all over (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you work in Firefox OS expect no understanding of what's happening and when (in 7 reviews)

• Moreover, it is open source so everything has to be proper (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great engineering couldn't say the same about HR

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

learned a lot. loved my team! I worked on very interesting and different projects. tried both front end and back end. worked with the latest technologies out there.

Cons

slow and ineffective HR..had to wait a lot for offer and also for other stuff. luck of professionalism ..also politics sucks!

t

Great people but needs help on strategy and leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (more than a year)

Pros

• Great, smart people
    • Ability to work on products that are used by millions
    • Incredibly dedicated community
    • Ability to travel and work remotely
    • Good compensation for working in open source
    • More transparent than other companies with the ability to have an open dialogue with management and co-workers.

Cons

• Because of the work remotely policy offices (at least in the Bay Area) were empty. If you like to work in person with your co-workers you will struggle here.
    • Far more corporate and "big company" than I expected with all the politics, bureaucracy and indecision I had experienced at large companies I had worked for.
    • Strategy on my own product and company overall was unclear. This made the culture tense and sometimes toxic.
    • Too many things to do and not enough resources.

• Re-evaluate workspaces in San Francisco and Mountain View and either scale down facilities or think of other ways (splitting space with small companies, creating a co-working space, etc.) so offices are more full and lively.
    • Make sure that cultural fit is a high priority for hiring.
    • Quit acting scared and fear-based. Build morale.
    • Focus on where Mozilla can have an impact instead of trying to partner with strange bedfellows (operators) or directly competing with much bigger companies with thick pockets (Google).
    • Figure out what the future is going to look like and aim there. Don't over invest in legacy products (browser).

Amazing professional experience...not so good because of HR

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in a dream team. I loved the interaction with all members. I learned a lot and never got bored. I would hardly find a better team at some other company.

Cons

If the Engineering experience was amazing couldn't say the same about HR. I felt frustrated all the time when I had to interact with this department as they were late all the time and lost my papers once. The interview process was so long because of HR.

Trust your Engineers more and fire some people at HR when they don't do their job.

Not the mission driven, good works company it was when I joined

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can work from anywhere, the vacation time is quite generous by US standards (4 weeks a year). Mozilla is big name to put on your resume that still gets some respect from recruiters.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be any paths for advancement in the company anymore. After two re-orgs (and four CEOs) in two years the company seems more interesting in putting the cogs into the places it needs them than it is finding a good balance between individual's career goals and the work the company needs to do. There doesn't seem to by anyone steering the ship, so different groups will often be working on the same problem without any collaboration or idea that anyone else in the company is working on the same thing. Pay for new comers is good, but the company doesn't keep up with the rising salaries in the tech industry and you will very quickly be making below the average salary in the industry, and the company is actively trying to keep employes below average salary for their position. With very few paths "up the ladder" your pay will stagnate pretty quickly.

Pick a direction and move that way as a whole. Start investing in the employees instead of moving them around like chess pieces, they're people with feelings and goals and ambitions that are largely being ignored.

Great environment, but lacks direction

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Very nice and smart people
    - Work schedule flexibility
    - Competitive pay
    - People are happy
    - Informal and friendly environment
    - Interesting products and projects

Cons

It all starts to get wrong when it comes do leading you in the right direction / developing your career. You will hardly make any career progress. Leadership is broken. I felt like no one gave a damn about what I was doing. Working hard or doing nothing seems to result in the same "That's nice" feedback. Teams are distributed; there's lack of communication, and way too much teammates working from home / going off the radar suddenly. As a result, things generally move at an extremely slow pace. I burned out trying to bring my career to a next level, and eventually resigned after realizing this is not the place to be in the long-term.

Also, this is probably one of the fewest big, well-known tech companies in the valley that *doesn't* offer lunch every day. They have catered lunches once per week only. Not cool, especially when every other big and medium-sized company is offering daily lunch (even startups.. come on!). It is ironic how Mozilla spends thousands of dollars on "work weeks", where they fly entire teams across the world and put them in nice, fancy hotels to work for a week in another Mozilla office, and yet it is not willing to pay for lunch during the week. I'd rather not have to worry about my lunch than going out for a week to another office.

High Stress levels, great people though

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, positive environment, lots going on, projects are fun and interesting

Cons

A lot going on, management is chaotic, hard to figure out what is needed, conflicts, personality clashes, too many opinions flying

More organization needed, more balance, less micro mgmt

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mozilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mozilla provides competitive pay, offers good benefits, good mission, good intentions for making the web better.

Cons

Horrendous leadership
    C-level execs have no direction
    Horrible HR department from management down. Two face and can't trust them. They do not care about their employees. Got the feeling they were only there for a paycheck

Lead people. Help grow people. Acknowledge those who have made great contributions - there are many there.

Great environment and flexibility, needs more leadership

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- interesting products
    - flexibility of working hours, location
    - employees are true believers
    - very value-based organization

Cons

- very difficult to progress career, determine what's needed for promotion
    - some leadership very junior

- be careful of louder voices silencing quieter ones
    - don't just turn engineers into leaders - make sure they are empathetic team-builders

Great culture! Very bright people. Amazing passion!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mozilla as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company is amazing. Every single person in the organization is extremely passionate about each and every project he/she is on. The leaders are very transparent with their teams and this leads to trust. All individual contributors are given a large runway and are given the chance to succeed or fail. My director truly cares about the team and pushes for growth. Time and time again he's been able to provide opportunities for that growth. Snacks drinks are always provided. Lunch is provided on Mondays.

Jay has been amazing leading Mozilla. He is a great leader who people want to follow.

Cons

There have been some changes with company direction (not necessarily a bad thing). There are some who are wary about the new direction.

Keep encouraging your leaders (not just in the sense of managers) and your evangelists. Mozilla is an amazing place with amazing people, continue to give them that space to grow. Continue being transparent with employees and users. We will continue to change the world!

Open Source is an Awesome way to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mozilla full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative, Value Driven Organization that makes decisions on what is best for the user, not the bottom line

Cons

Takes a while to learn how to work with a geodistributed team.