Mozy

Add Photos

Josh Coates

Great place to work

Tech Lead (Current Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsSnacks, management, great place to work.

ConsLittle investment in r & d.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in R&D.

Used to be the best place to work in Utah

Software QA Manager (Former Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsFlexible work/life balance, great people

ConsNo clear innovative vision by upper management and poor execution/work ethic by middle management made for a frustrating environment for top performing first-line managers and individual contributors. Most of our top talent left and performance reviews are a joke, so it basically creates a dead-sea effect on talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should work longer than 3pm every day. You're pace setters--how do you expect to have a high-performing team when you're just looking at the clock? And innovate... you really really need to get relevant again. Winning a deal here and there will feel good this quarter, but it's a death sentence. Mozy will not survive a more innovative competitor who's positioned correctly. Grow or die. To accomplish this, start by letting go of all the middle management and start over. These are the things that made Mozy successful (hard work, brilliance, innovation, the 'hacker' culture) all of which feel lost with the current team.

Excellent benefits; fun, casual atmosphere

Account Executive (Former Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsCasual atmosphere, involved leadership, fully stocked break room. They have an xbox and a wii, ping pong, foosball, and more for breaks. Lots of company parties, external activities and groups (mountain hiking, road biking). Great mix of work and home life.

ConsBecoming more corporate, less start-uppy. Sometimes the company has trouble with maintaining focus and direction without the "ooh, a shiny object, let's chase it" syndrome.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication of company progress and goals. Put everyone's jobs in context of the greater vision.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to work...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) American Fork, UT

ProsCool culture - they retained some of the nice perks from being a startup. Pay is decent, and if you love the outdoors the location is pretty great.

ConsThe company has gotten kicked around a bit post-acquisition. First stop at EMC and then a handoff to VMWare has been a tough transition. Definitely some growing pains as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue people. Promote from inside. Don't kill perks to get just a few extra points on the bottom line.

For me, it was an all-around great college job

Assistant Account Manager (Former Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsGreat people, a fully-stocked break room, fun activities, laid-back atmosphere. The Pleasant Grove location is close to all different kinds of outdoor adventure.

ConsI was a contractor on the Mozy team -- I didn't have access to a lot of the perks of being a Mozy employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Figure out what their needs are.

Great people, great pay, great benefits, but trying to keep up with the rest of the market

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing culture and a family atmosphere. People try to take care of those around them.

ConsThey can see what's going on with the rest of the market. They have a great roadmap. It's difficult for them to execute on future feature sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain your talent across the board and provide upward mobility with a clear path of how to get promoted.

Management and development are not afraid of change.

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsEven though waterfall was the ad hoc development process for the company my team was allowed to experiment with Scrum. This is now being allowed to expand into other teams through a grass roots effort that is fully supported and encouraged by management.

Each week we have training on all the products and services that the company is producing so we can know what is going on with other teams.

We also have additional off site training. For example 25 employees became Certified Scrum Masters though training that was paid for by the company.

ConsThere are no white noise generators so it is easy to hear others speaking rows away. It is not realistic to move conversations into a conference room.

Mozy and its technologies are interesting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsInteresting technology
    Good people
    Individual contributors are laid back, work around issues and get stuff done
    Mac and Unix are both embraced equally as much as Windows

ConsNot identifying clear priorities and staffing to accomplish them
    Different Geo's causes mass confusion and all kinds of unclear priorities, offshoot projects, and lack of focus

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten management by consolidating into one location
    Improve communication by consolidating into one location (or at least doing equal VP level management in Pleasant Grove to bring some semblance of cohesion to the teams)
    Improve product focus by consolidating into one location
    Hire back some smart people, and hire more smart people who can really contribute
    Make it a personal mission to not let any more key contributors leave, make them feel the love

Not that great of a place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pleasant Grove, UT

ProsFree lunch on Wednesdays
    Stocked break room
    Some good people work there
    Competitive pay
    Smart front line (non-management) people
    Easy location

ConsNepotism
    Leadership has their head in the sand
    Inconsistency in direction given
    Poor internal infrastructure to be able to complete tasks given
    Hugely political environment
    People play rock band instead of working
    Lack of resources and planning

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing course every other day. It makes it very hard for there to be a clear vision of what the goals of the company are. Trust your employees and their experience. Stop making knee jerk reactions and allow time for planning and execution on projects. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Far too many inconsistent messages being sent.

There are a lot of opportunities for Mozy as a company

Pros-Fun atmosphere (rock band sessions, regular onsite training, break room stocked with snacks)
    -Lots of upward mobility
    -Challenging work
    -Tons of market potential
    -Strong partnership with EMC

Cons-Changing priorities
    -Immature processes
    -Fire drills (lack of planning in some areas)
    -Perceived disconnect between upper management and the individual contributor

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the current vision and let the product grow. There are tons of great ideas. Continue to engage teams by communicating the vision.

Worked for Mozy? Contribute to the Community!