Mu Sigma

Updated December 22, 2014
3.4

Mu Sigma Founder, Chairman & CEO Dhiraj C Rajaram
Dhiraj C Rajaram

Pros
  • Good place to learn a lot from specific skill sets to how manage a team (in 46 reviews)

• Great place to learn a lot in very less time (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - Mu Sigma believes in work life harmony (they dont care) (in 161 reviews)

• Long working hours, but for a fresher learning matters first, not good for married guys (in 130 reviews)

More Highlights

Satisfactory overall.

Current Employee - Trainee Decision Scientist in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Mu Sigma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Same age people, training, the amount of learning, the amount of responsibility, and you are going to make good friends on the way

Cons

Working hours often stretch long. Compensation is not satisfactory.

Good place for a fresher

I worked at Mu Sigma

Pros

Great scope for learning
    Awesome work culture

Cons

well the timings. you wont be sure when you'll be home

Good

Former Employee - MBA
    Former Employee - MBA

I worked at Mu Sigma

Pros

its a good company .You should try

Cons

To much work load and ling working houyrs

good

Amazing place to start work

I worked at Mu Sigma

Pros

-Undoubtedly the best Analytics company today
    -Growth phase to continue for few more years. So professional growth also to be similar (Fast promotions,etc.)
    -Presence of lot of people within 22-35 years of age

Cons

-Not really cons but they can open offices in other major cities of India so as to attract best talent

Compensation can be aligned to inflationary growth atleast

Best place to start off as a fresher.

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Mu Sigma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlike other companies, Mu Sigma provides a chance to actively and directly engage with the client from an early stage. Learning and implementing on-the-fly, working under hard deadlines and pulling out of seemingly impossible situations helps groom an individual for the longer run. College-like atmosphere, merit based allocation of work/responsibilities and the chance to freely interact with the senior-most members of the company (including the Founder-CEO) are additional plus points.

Cons

Time spent in office are more than "normal", but average working hours aren't. Pay is less than average for the the first year/year and a half, however this too evens out in the long run. Exposure to different verticals does happen but takes time and is again merit/need based (may leave a few folks disappointed).

Since the pay structure and "working hours" cannot be altered, focus needs to be on engaging the employees on a regular basis as well as ensuring a variety of work over the fixed 3 year cycle.

If you're looking for a job, the first and most important thing to consider is the corporate philosophy of the company.

Current Employee - Trainee Decision Scientist in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Mu Sigma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

And Mu Sigma's philosophy is one of the finest. Everyone in the company talks and knows about it, but I doubt if a lot of people really understand it. So our CEO has a thought, a vision - which is an image of what he wants the organization to be. It has a lot of things attached to it, like feelings and emotions. For him to communicate this thought is very difficult since language is a huge limitation. But he does it anyway and since we all understand things differently, we understand it in our own way. And for him to get this through people is difficult because he has to do it differently with different people. Imagine the magnitude of this responsibility.
    A lot of thinking and design has gone into Mu Sigma's frameworks and philosophies and that is something a lot the people in the company fail to appreciate. And it's going to be very difficult to get everyone on the same page. But, our CEO has been perseverant. And he is trying a lot of things to achieve this. And the good news is a lot of people are slowly waking up and realizing.

Pros-
    Exponential learning curve - not just with respect to analytics but also with respect to life
    Lot of opportunities - you're not limited to just delivery. You can get into the sales team/ design team/ innovation and development team, etc… if you really want to
    Amazingly open culture where you have the freedom to question everything
    Opportunity to interact and work with the leadership team
    Opportunity to interact with a lot of really amazing smart people
    Opportunity to work across a diverse set of problems/ clientele

Cons

Long working hours - I wouldn't even completely put this under 'Cons' because everyone loves working here and interacting with people

No other company will invest so much time/ resources on a fresher. If you understand the philosophies and the system, it's a wonderful place to work in. I personally have learnt a lot and grown a lot. The company has also enabled me to do a lot of things. I am very thankful to be a part of it. Overall, this is an amazing place to start with.

Learning to care

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Mu Sigma full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mu Sigma has taught me many things. But the greatest learning has been 'learning to care'. I used to think that being successful was about being smart and ruthless. But Mu Sigma culture inextricably links success with caring too. You are taught to care - About results, about inputs AND outputs, about your employees, your bosses, your cafeteria, your end goals and your design to achieve that end goal. Your team progress, your team fun. You clients and your client's clients. Volleyball matches to million dollar proposals. You are taught to care

Cons

For anyone looking for cons - Please watch Dan Savage's price of admission video on You tube. Its about 6 mins and sums everything up nicely

Don't let glassdoor get in the way :)

great place to start

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Mu Sigma full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great exposure
    Good Work for freshers
    Great place to learn lot of things

Cons

-Focus is delivery rather than quality of delivery
    - Not adequate training given for freshers
    - setting wrong expectations with clients often makes analysts work over time

Great place to work, leadership team in most teams is motivating, expectation setting with clients need to be worked out.

A great place for enthusiasts to start their career!

I have been working at Mu Sigma

Pros

I have really enjoyed my journey in Mu Sigma so far. Although it is the inherent nature of youngsters like us to be dissatisfied with what we have or to crib about our workplace, I would still stand by my point that despite the cons, Mu Sigma is one of the best companies to work with, especially for the younger generation - engineers fresh out of college. A few points I would like to share based on my experience are :

- The work culture encourages you to constantly learn and demands you to take responsibility from the very beginning.
    - There is a very energetic and positive vibe around the company as majority of the employees are young, enthusiastic and are also given opportunities to pursue their passion like writing, teaching etc. along with the regular work.
    - The company truly believes in practising the concept of flat hierarchy. One gets the freedom to communicate or work or even learn from anyone in the company, including the leadership team.
    - Decison Sciences or more commonly known as Analytics, is an upcoming field and the beliefs, knowledge resource and culture that Mu Sigma holds are very unique and have been significantly contributing to this field.
    - There is steep learning curvehere and you get immense opportunities to challenge yourself and enhance your confidence by interacting with your clients directly and providing business solutions to them.

Cons

As the company is expanding and progressing at a very rapid rate, there is a variety of work that we might get, across any business domain and at different challenging levels. Not everyone gets the kind of work they dream to do, expecially because that is something they have been over expecting from Mu Sigma.
    There are employees who have certain rigid mindsets about the work they want to do or about the working hours and get disappointed because of the same. This, along with relatively low salary package is usually the reason we observe attrition after appraisal cycles. High attrition and high inflow of new employees is one of the challenges the company has been facing and also something which affects the work and opportunities of others.
    However, this might be the part and parcel of any growing company.

The comapny has been doing great and I understand it has very strong beliefs and dreams. I just hope that we are able to meet the learning needs of all employees even while growing and are also able to make them feel like a part of the core belief system. This would become much better if the comapnies' philosophies and guidance trickle down better from the leadership team and the employees start practising that in their day to day work.

Roller coaster Ride

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Mu Sigma full-time (less than an year)

Pros

#you can't get bored : With so much exciting work happening around you brain juices flow 24X7, and one feels motivated to do quality work .
    #belief system : One of the few companies in the world were the core belief system is embedded in how the work is being executed .
    # Freedom : ABSOLUTE freedom to work the way you want to .

Cons

# You also can't relax : You don't have time from all that exciting work to relax . So try to have fun while working
    # Flow of workforce : Flow is better than stock but not always . When your entire team changes within a year then there is a hole one needs to plug .
    #money : LESS .. very less .

Money matters : From industry standard money offered by the company is pretty less . It is still good enough for entry level but as you move higher in ladder you start to feel the tinge of it .