Mueller Services

www.muellerreports.com

Mueller Services Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Mueller Services – “Mueller Field Representatives are highly trained…”

John Noe

Pros
  • I also liked that it was part-time and I could work from home(in 7 reviews)

• Paid online training, interesting introduction to insurance inspections for amateurs(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This company is keeping their expenses low by pushing them down onto their Field Reps(in 14 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount of knowledge one has to know to do this job effectively(in 8 reviews)

Field Rep

Field Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsA lot of flexibility in work schedule.

ConsLow hours at times of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay

Lies!

Field Representative (Former Employee)

ProsSet your own schedule, freedom, work independently

ConsVery shady company. They lie/deceive you about their payscale. Waaaay too much work for the tiny paycheck :(

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest!!!

I would not recommend this company to anyone who has self respect, or likes to feel good about the work they are doing.

Field Representative (Former Employee) Santa Rosa, CA

ProsThe pros of this job would definitely be the ability to work independently and make your own schedule, based around the schedules of your clients.

ConsSome of the downside to working for this company is the micromanagement via email, the unclear pay structure, changing rules and expectations, increased responsibility with decreased pay, and just the plain sad fact that I felt bullied into doing a poor job on the reports and leaving things out in an attempt to meet the time guidelines. I was hired to cover the county I live in, but was assigned jobs in other counties that took almost two hours round trip with no additional pay for drive time or gas reimbursement. They tell you that they pay for mileage, but they really don't. Seriously, they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with new employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The one-star people that are screaming bloody murder here are for the most part disgruntled employees and crackpots.

Field Representative (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros1. Great job working under pleasant, professional management. 2. Fair pay. 3. You aren't given office supplies, but those are tax deductible. 4. Unlike other jobs, you get paid something just to drive to work. 5. Your boss gives you some space to work. Miles of space. 6. Direct Deposit. 7. If you don't like any particular house for any reason, you'll be back in your car in 5 minutes, so it doesn't matter. 8. You have deadlines, but can carve out a day-off almost anytime you want, or just clock out if you need to at any time. 9. Time spent splitting field work and desk work makes the week seem shorter. 10. Feeling good about providing a valuable service for people.

Cons1. Elementary, slow to use Phoenix Sketch software. 2. Physical detachment from both management and peers can cause occasional minor communication problems, and lack of physical human presence requires adjustment, but in time one has enough interaction time with Mueller people online and on the phone that the detachment effect softens. 3. Occassional wrong addresses sending you to somebody's farm. You get paid for travel, but it can screw up your route for the day and cause you to go back out tomorrow. 4. The occasional rude homeowner. 5. Wheel counter window fog up. 5. Dog poop obstacle course backyards. 6. Measuring houses surrounded by gravel walks. 7. Occasional unavoidable traffic. 8. Mud at construction sites. 9. Horrible weather on a field day. 10. Brand new streets not on any maps.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhoenix sketch is pretty rustic. Just from a labor cost standpoint it should be improved or replaced. I've used a lot of sketch tools, and this is the slowest.

Take Your Talents Somewhere Else . . .

Field Representative (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMueller is based in New York and has Field Reps located throughout the country. If you want a job with Mueller, it's very likely they can place you in a territory of your choosing. The online training and webinars are well organized. The training and field work will teach you a lot. My favorite part of the job was getting to see so many different types of homes. Also the pets!

ConsField Reps report to a regional manager who covers a broad territory of several states and only has one goal: reduce time service to save the company more money. Your time service is expected to be 20 minutes or less on site and 20 minutes or less on the computer (to complete the sketch, download photos, tag photos, answer questions, clarify details, etc) after you organize & map out your assignments, schedule appts. and complete the call log. That's all good if you do single story L-shaped structures all day. However, throw in several 5500 sq.ft. multi-level homes in a gated community with complicated details and even the most experienced FR would be challenged to give a top notch report within those parameters. As a result, the manager rotation is fairly often as I experienced a turnover 5 times within 23 months.

The other pet peeve is the mileage reimbursement which was reduced not long after I started even though fuel was on the rise. Later, Mueller even reduced the fee paid for exterior inspections and has since lowered the fee for interior inspections as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to fully understand the economy as it relates to each of the areas you manage. Real estate values, cost of living and wages vary dramatically within a region, impacting the quality of personnel you retain. It's not a "one size fits all" job even though it is set us as such.

Most disturbing and dishonest place I have ever worked.

Field Inspector (Current Employee)

ProsThere are no positives as they take them all away from you. The high star posts on this site are by the management team who gets paid to perpetuate the lies and deception of this so nightmarish company. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN -- AS THIS COMPANY IS EXTREMELY UNETHICAL AND DISHONEST.

ConsManagement lies to you, belittles you and tries to manipulate you into lying about time spent on your cases and time spent driving. If they can't coerce you into lying they will fire you. My manager was the most sickening, nasty girl I have ever had to deal with in my life. She had no respect for me and tried to coerce me in every way possible. When I didn't go along with it she made up lies about my performance and fired me. They do not care about safety, they do not care about you -- they want to employee weak individuals who they can belittle into doing the work for a dollar or two an hour. What this company does with the information collected on surveys as well as the personal information they have on employees is highly questionable. Be afraid and run! This is not an ethical or upstanding company.

Abusive Company--Run As Far Away As Possible

Field Representative (Former Employee)

ProsWhat can I say good? Well, it's a job, albeit below minimum wage.

Cons1.Subsidizing Mueller's overhead: you need to pay for paper; ink cartridges; gas (don't get me started on their mileage reimbursement trick; camera; and cell phone.

2. Ridiculous time expectations.

3. Outdated forms that you need to fill out that Mueller can't be bothered to update.

PLEASE, anyone considering working for Mueller should heed the previous posters comments/reviews. We are not crackpots. Yes, I was foolish once, I read the reviews and thought "oh, it can't be that bad." My fellow readers, Mueller, REALLY is THAT BAD.

I spoke with the Department of Labor and they labeled Mueller as an "...abusive company that gets its employees to subsidize their overhead." DOL unfortunately as told me that they know labor laws very well and nothing they are doing is illegal.

So if you want to work for less than minimum wage--work for Mueller.

6 months removed, I really see how bad they are.

Field Representative/Home Surveyor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPaid training with checks paid on time. Self scheduling. See many homes and talk to many people.

ConsTo the person below who said we're all disgruntled and crackpots. Sounds like something Mueller would say. When I left, my manager attempted belittling and calling me names before I shut him up and put him in his place. Maybe, it's a good way to know where a company is coming from when one leaves them. A good company that treats people fairly is normally surprised, helpful and concerned when someone leaves. A bad company has pent-up resentment, animosity and reacts by lashing out.

I work for several companies now in both real estate research, insurance inspection and retail. My retail gig pays me hourly on the job, driving between jobs and at home on the computer inputting data. They also pay me for mileage. I make 3x what I ever made with Mueller in an hourly comparison.

Insurance inspections: Just so you know what's out there.... I get paid $25 to go to a home and take 5 pictures and do a residence inspection. I then spend about 10 minutes on the computer uploading 5 pics and filling out 8 very quick questions. Mueller's rate is $8 with 10 to 15 pics and a half hour on the computer working with antiquated software answering about 40 questions. With Mueller, you would make, after gas about $5 per hour.

Mueller pays about $25 for a full home inspection with 75 questions, 5 to 10 phone calls, 15 minutes on the phone, 45 minutes in the house, 20 minutes outside the home, 10 minutes researching town records, 30 minutes uploading to their website, 20 minutes travel and 10 minutes figuring out whats wanted on each and every job. Take $2 off for gas and you at 9.20 an hour. 3 of them per day is 7.5 hours and about $70 per day.

That's not too bad right? Wrong. I'm not including the scheduling time you'll need to do to arrange this to occur. You'll spend an extra hour every day putting everything together and mapping out your day. Not to mention, you'll have dinky $8 and $13 gigs to fit in between so it's virtually impossible to get 3 full inspections done in a day.

But either way, You will probably make $70 per day but let me tell you, it's a painfull $70. Their computer system is so clunky and there are so many different rules for several different companies and so many questions and nuances and the stupid sketching tool that you will dread doing this job.

The only positive is to use Mueller as a training device and then dump them.

Just remember, you are doing a 50,000-75,000 per year job for 17,500. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the business!!!

Working hard for Minimum Wage

Field Service Representative (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL

ProsThere is potential for someone with a background in home inspections. Someone who knows how to play the game and how to work smart. Training was decent.

ConsIf you've never done home insurance inspections you'll be underpaid. Try minimum wage while putting hundreds of miles on your personal vehicle. With gas prices what they are you will need to be able to negotiate higher fees. You will be set loose in the field with a phone number to call if you need help. It takes a certain personality to do this kind of work. It's all about volume.

I resigned after an inspection that, when all was said and done, would have netted me minimum wage. When my manager realized that the inspection didn't pass muster with the Quality Assurance Agents, which it almost never does first time around, he offered me big bucks to improve the job. So they are willing to pay for work when they are behind the eight ball.

Took awhile to get that last paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people know what you are really paying them. And make sure they get paid in a timely manner. Be careful what you promise as we employees take certain promises literally. Your inspectors shouldn't have to feel like they are pulling teeth to get paid.

Love the job! It is nice to be your own boss.

Field Representative (Current Employee) Oil City, PA

ProsSet your own hours, work at your own pace, visit beautiful homes, learn about

ConsCases you're assigned vary from week to week. Hard to earn enough pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the pay structure clearer to new hires.

Worked for Mueller Services? Contribute to the Community!