Mueller Services
www.muellerreports.com Tonawanda, NY 500 to 999 Employees

Mueller Services Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Mueller Services – “Mueller Field Representatives are highly trained…”

John Noe

Pros:
  • "Paid online training, interesting introduction to insurance inspections for amateurs"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Paid training with checks paid on time"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "This company is keeping their expenses low by pushing them down onto their Field Reps"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Low pay for the amount of knowledge one has to know to do this job effectively"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I would not recommend this company to anyone who has self respect, or likes to feel good about the work they are doing.

Field Representative (Former Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsThe pros of this job would definitely be the ability to work independently and make your own schedule, based around the schedules of your clients.

ConsSome of the downside to working for this company is the micromanagement via email, the unclear pay structure, changing rules and expectations, increased responsibility with decreased pay, and just the plain sad fact that I felt bullied into doing a poor job on the reports and leaving things out in an attempt to meet the time guidelines. I was hired to cover the county I live in, but was assigned jobs in other counties that took almost two hours round trip with no additional pay for drive time or gas reimbursement. They tell you that they pay for mileage, but they really don't. Seriously, they don't.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with new employees.

Abusive Company--Run As Far Away As Possible

Field Representative (Former Employee)

ProsWhat can I say good? Well, it's a job, albeit below minimum wage.

Cons1.Subsidizing Mueller's overhead: you need to pay for paper; ink cartridges; gas (don't get me started on their mileage reimbursement trick; camera; and cell phone.

2. Ridiculous time expectations.

3. Outdated forms that you need to fill out that Mueller can't be bothered to update.

PLEASE, anyone considering working for Mueller should heed the previous posters comments/reviews. We are not crackpots. Yes, I was foolish once, I read the reviews and thought "oh, it can't be that bad." My fellow readers, Mueller, REALLY is THAT BAD.

I spoke with the Department of Labor and they labeled Mueller as an "...abusive company that gets its employees to subsidize their overhead." DOL unfortunately as told me that they know labor laws very well and nothing they are doing is illegal.

So if you want to work for less than minimum wage--work for Mueller.

Working hard for Minimum Wage

Field Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Pensacola, FL

ProsThere is potential for someone with a background in home inspections. Someone who knows how to play the game and how to work smart. Training was decent.

ConsIf you've never done home insurance inspections you'll be underpaid. Try minimum wage while putting hundreds of miles on your personal vehicle. With gas prices what they are you will need to be able to negotiate higher fees. You will be set loose in the field with a phone number to call if you need help. It takes a certain personality to do this kind of work. It's all about volume.

I resigned after an inspection that, when all was said and done, would have netted me minimum wage. When my manager realized that the inspection didn't pass muster with the Quality Assurance Agents, which it almost never does first time around, he offered me big bucks to improve the job. So they are willing to pay for work when they are behind the eight ball.

Took awhile to get that last paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people know what you are really paying them. And make sure they get paid in a timely manner. Be careful what you promise as we employees take certain promises literally. Your inspectors shouldn't have to feel like they are pulling teeth to get paid.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The one-star people that are screaming bloody murder here are for the most part disgruntled employees and crackpots.

Portland, OR

Pros1. Great job working under pleasant, professional management. 2. Fair pay. 3. You aren't given office supplies, but those are tax deductible. 4. Unlike other jobs, you get paid something just to drive to work. 5. Your boss gives you some space to work. Miles of space. 6. Direct Deposit. 7. If you don't like any particular house for any reason, you'll be back in your car in 5 minutes, so it doesn't matter. 8. You have deadlines, but can carve out a day-off almost anytime you want, or just clock out if you need to at any time. 9. Time spent splitting field work and desk work makes the week seem shorter. 10. Feeling good about providing a valuable service for people.

Cons1. Elementary, slow to use Phoenix Sketch software. 2. Physical detachment from both management and peers can cause occasional minor communication problems, and lack of physical human presence requires adjustment, but in time one has enough interaction time with Mueller people online and on the phone that the detachment effect softens. 3. Occassional wrong addresses sending you to somebody's farm. You get paid for travel, but it can screw up your route for the day and cause you to go back out tomorrow. 4. The occasional rude homeowner. 5. Wheel counter window fog up. 5. Dog poop obstacle course backyards. 6. Measuring houses surrounded by gravel walks. 7. Occasional unavoidable traffic. 8. Mud at construction sites. 9. Horrible weather on a field day. 10. Brand new streets not on any maps.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhoenix sketch is pretty rustic. Just from a labor cost standpoint it should be improved or replaced. I've used a lot of sketch tools, and this is the slowest.

6 months removed, I really see how bad they are.

Field Representative/Home Surveyor (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsPaid training with checks paid on time. Self scheduling. See many homes and talk to many people.

ConsTo the person below who said we're all disgruntled and crackpots. Sounds like something Mueller would say. When I left, my manager attempted belittling and calling me names before I shut him up and put him in his place. Maybe, it's a good way to know where a company is coming from when one leaves them. A good company that treats people fairly is normally surprised, helpful and concerned when someone leaves. A bad company has pent-up resentment, animosity and reacts by lashing out.

I work for several companies now in both real estate research, insurance inspection and retail. My retail gig pays me hourly on the job, driving between jobs and at home on the computer inputting data. They also pay me for mileage. I make 3x what I ever made with Mueller in an hourly comparison.

Insurance inspections: Just so you know what's out there.... I get paid $25 to go to a home and take 5 pictures and do a residence inspection. I then spend about 10 minutes on the computer uploading 5 pics and filling out 8 very quick questions. Mueller's rate is $8 with 10 to 15 pics and a half hour on the computer working with antiquated software answering about 40 questions. With Mueller, you would make, after gas about $5 per hour.

Mueller pays about $25 for a full home inspection with 75 questions, 5 to 10 phone calls, 15 minutes on the phone, 45 minutes in the house, 20 minutes outside the home, 10 minutes researching town records, 30 minutes uploading to their website, 20 minutes travel and 10 minutes figuring out whats wanted on each and every job. Take $2 off for gas and you at 9.20 an hour. 3 of them per day is 7.5 hours and about $70 per day.

That's not too bad right? Wrong. I'm not including the scheduling time you'll need to do to arrange this to occur. You'll spend an extra hour every day putting everything together and mapping out your day. Not to mention, you'll have dinky $8 and $13 gigs to fit in between so it's virtually impossible to get 3 full inspections done in a day.

But either way, You will probably make $70 per day but let me tell you, it's a painfull $70. Their computer system is so clunky and there are so many different rules for several different companies and so many questions and nuances and the stupid sketching tool that you will dread doing this job.

The only positive is to use Mueller as a training device and then dump them.

Just remember, you are doing a 50,000-75,000 per year job for 17,500. Don't let them tell you otherwise.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the business!!!

Love the job! It is nice to be your own boss.

Oil City, PA

ProsSet your own hours, work at your own pace, visit beautiful homes, learn about

ConsCases you're assigned vary from week to week. Hard to earn enough pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the pay structure clearer to new hires.

A very good job - for the right person

Field Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFirst off - this is not a typical job, so before you accept the job, make sure you can handle the "cons" listed below. But it has been perfect for me, and I've enjoyed my time working for Mueller Services. The online training was excellent and I have continued learning as new types of reports have come my way - from quick photo drive-bys, to high-value interior/exterior homes, to farm reports, to commercial inspections. I live in a rural area and cover a large territory, and am paid by the hour plus $.40 a mile (this seems to differ from some other reviews on here, where it sounds like the field reps are paid per case). I am paid for every minute spent on the phone making appointments, for the time spent printing forms and downloading photos, everything that relates to the job (which is also contradictory to some things other reviews have said). Make sure you know, going in, how you are going to be paid - and it sounds like being paid per hour (rather than per case) is the way to go. In my case, there are NO other jobs in this area that give full paid training and then pay as well as this one.

The absolutely best thing about this job is that your schedule is completely your own. I have managed to work another part-time job (also with a flexible schedule) at the same time. There are opportunities to travel, which works great for a territory like mine which is sometimes very slow, and I've been able to spend time working in Brooklyn, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Minneapolis and Green Bay. I never dreamed I would be doing those things when I started into training for this job, learning about wiring and furnaces and types of siding :)

ConsThis job is not for everyone. Be sure you can handle wide swings in income from week to week. I've had up to three weeks in a row without any income because there is no work available. Also, you must be self-motivated and organized. Once the case is dropped into your queue, no one is going to remind you to make the phone calls, schedule the appointment, make sure you have the correct forms, seek out extra training (if it's a new report type for you), arrange a cost-effective driving route, and be on time for your appointments. The reports can be detailed and repetitive, and it's in your best interest if you have good typing skills. The QA department will reject for even the slightest thing, so all photos MUST be obtained the first time (or else you'll drive back and get it on your own dime) and all information gathered when on site. Be aware that there may be times when you feel a bit unsafe - I am female, and have had a few occasions where the homeowner has made me uncomfortable. In any instance where I will be inside a home and have any cause for concern, I place a call to my husband beforehand telling him the address I'm at and the time he can expect me to call him back when I'm finished (usually 20 minutes). You will need to travel in all kinds of weather, searching for addresses that are sometimes inaccurate, and you need a vehicle that is reliable and efficient. Some expenses will not be reimbursed - paper, ink, camera batteries, cell phone costs, computer repairs or upgrades. There are zero benefits for part-timers, which most of the field reps are, other than a 401K after you've been employed for awhile (no employer contributions however).

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional managers are the only management the field reps have contact with. And they change often. I've been through several, and they all have been responsive to questions. Like most any job, you will hear more about the things you do wrong than about the things you do right.

The training was web based, very little room for error. I missed a question and was very quickly dismissed

Home Inspector (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

Prosthere are none I could not even talk to anybody

Constalking to your computer not people

Advice to Senior Managementhave a little compassion maybe you would have so much turnover

Field Rep

Columbus, OH

ProsThe field rep position offers a lot of independence. Field reps can largely set their own hours.

The job can take field reps to interesting locations and allow reps to see interesting architecture and landscaping.

The training is rigorous and informative. The trainers are helpful and friendly.

The field rep position would probably be ideal for a retiree looking to get out of the house occasionally.

The position is probably also much more profitable for reps working in densely populated areas.

ConsA) Field reps must provide their own equipment (camera, car, insurance, computer, internet, and telephone) and there is no compensation for wear and tear to equipment and vehicles.

B) If the rep is paid on a case-by-case basis (not hourly), the pay can be exceptionally low for the labor and hours required. The job requires prep work, including, among other things, organizing, printing, mapping, and occasionally contacting policyholders and insurance agencies. Once the prep work is complete, the field rep must locate and complete a diagram for each report. Occasionally, inaccurate information is provided to the rep (wrong address, etc.) and additional time must be expended in the field. Next, the rep must submit the information gathered electronically to Mueller. This requires time uploading photographs, completing diagrams, and imputing information. Thereafter, the report may be rejected by quality assurance staff and the rep must expend more time correcting or clarifying information. Occasionally, additionally information or photographs are needed and the field rep must again travel to the risk or make phone calls for no additional compensation. Depending on the contract with Mueller, the rep may not be reimbursed for fuel/mileage.

C) There is no compensation for partially completed reports for reps paid on a case-by-case basis. For example, a field rep can travel to a risk, and once there, the policyholder can refuse the survey, or it may turn out that the policyholder selected another carrier and a report is not needed. Thereafter, the field rep must contact the agency and attempt to resolve the issue. This requires time, fuel, and wear and tear to the reps vehicle. If the issue cannot be resolved and the rep cannot complete the report, the rep will receive no compensation whatsoever from Mueller.

D) Reps must be ever vigilant for unleashed dogs, feces, or other risks in the field.

E) On occasion, a field rep may need to work outside in atrocious weather conditions.

F) As far as I am aware, part-time field reps do not receive bonuses or benefits.

G) Not infrequently, Mueller may require additionally training. Sometime, compensation is not provided for the training (most training is paid, however).

H) It would be extremely helpful if Mueller provided reps with an extensive hard copy training manual. However, no such manual is provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementMueller seems to have a successful business model.

micromanaged to create dissatisfaction, not worth the money

Field Representative/Home Surveyor (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

Prosfreedom, though the money does not let you have any freedom

Consmicromanaged on your own dime.

Advice to Senior ManagementJobs are taken based on ones ability to have freedom, reps want to work, don't micromanage, doing so make our income even less than 12 an hour. Add on out own expenses and a field rep makes less than 9 an hour.

Worked for Mueller Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mueller Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mueller Services CEO John Noe. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Mueller Services employees.