Mueller Services Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014
Updated August 23, 2014

2.2

John Noe

Pros
  • I also liked that it was part-time and I could work from home (in 7 reviews)

• Paid online training, interesting introduction to insurance inspections for amateurs (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This company is keeping their expenses low by pushing them down onto their Field Reps (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount of knowledge one has to know to do this job effectively (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

QA Associate

I worked at Mueller Services

Pros

Manager was approachable and helpful. Pay was decent for area. Certain people were always available to help when needed and you can make up hours on the weekend if needed. Easy to find parking.

Cons

Not for anyone who needs human interaction. If you make over a certain number of errors you're let go the same day. Very few people make eye to eye contact and there were some unaddressed HR issues. Frequently ran out of cases leaving you without a full day's pay.

Pay attention to what supervisors are discussing in front of other employees. HR nightmare...

Part time work with full time expectations

Former Employee - Field Representative  in  Danville, CA
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Danville, CA

I worked at Mueller Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Able to set your own schedule, base pay is decent for part time work, I learned a lot in the training, my territory was a laid back area with lots of nice people so site visits were mostly pleasant.

Cons

For the company: Started out with a good caseload and large territory and I had good productivity numbers. Then my territory was cut into 3, so my workload decreased dramatically. When gas prices spiked in 2013 the company cut the mileage re-imbursement rate by 20%. The company added more items to the field rep survey list and my manager decreased the amount of time expected to complete the survey. Focus continues to shift to productivity (avg time spent on cases) over quality. You can feel the cheapness in every decision management makes.

For the job: Showing up at people's houses for exterior surveys without warning (as is the company protocol) is often not well received by the occupants. Every so often you meet somebody who really doesn't like it and they will be extremely unpleasant.

Management talks up field reps by saying how important they are but shows greater commitment to the bottom line than the quality of the product. I had two great managers, at least one was a former field rep and understood the time it took do a complete survey. The last two were numbers driven automotrons with condescending attitudes only interested in increasing efficiency numbers.

Decent part time job

Current Employee - Insurance Inspector  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Insurance Inspector in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

You can set your own schedule.

Cons

Lots of mileage on your vehicle. I feel you pay out of your pocket for gas expense to a certain degree. The mileage allowance is not enough. Training is limited.

Offer more training for your field representatives regarding commercial building codes. Offer more ways to make additional money or bonuses.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive

Current Employee - Field Representative
    Current Employee - Field Representative

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home - set my own schedule

Cons

Pay structures need to be updated

Pay structures need to be updated

Loved working at first then downhill all the way...

Former Employee - Field Inspector  in  Bergen, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Inspector in Bergen, NJ

I worked at Mueller Services part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, training online, working on your own without someone standing over you.

Cons

Too much turn over with Management. Zero support, pay was not what they represent. No opportunity to move up. No raise. Supervisors who have zero respect for anyone. Did I mention no support?

Care about the field inspectors. We are the front line. Support the field inspectors. Let field inspectors know about others in the area so we can support each other. Give us goals that are realistic and opportunities to advance. I loved working here but had 4 or 5 supervisors in 2 years. All except 1 had never been a field inspector. My last supervisor had zero follow up and wouldn't answer phone calls. I left when I was literally yelled at for asking a question about my salary. Had to remind this 20 something "kid" that he had no right to speak to me like that. I am a professional adult and I will not be abused. Such a shame because I truly enjoyed this job at first but found it impossible to continue to work for no money, benefits and in a "fast food" type work ethic. You couldn't even address issues with your supervisor by going up the management chain.

Nice work but low pay

Current Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor in New York, NY

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work on your own without supervision.

Cons

The pay is way too low for what is expected.

Treat employees with respect.

Questionable employment practices

Former Employee - Field Inspector  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Inspector in New York, NY

I worked at Mueller Services part-time for less than a year

Pros

After training, flexibility of your schedule

Cons

Your own expense. I have been an inspector for 3 years with another company but the position offered here was closer to home. The online training although thorough was at times confusing, even for an experience inspector. The field training is questionable. IT IS NOT TRAINING...IT IS A SUBJECTIVE OPPORTUNITY TO FIRE YOU IF YOU MANAGED TO GET THROUGH THE ONLINE TRAINING. You are supposed to be assigned work and shadowed by a supervisor. I was only allowed to shadow a "supervisor" (since he didn't follow the specific guidelines and rules stipulated by the company during training I now question his actual position) and was quizzed on my knowledge. I was told I did very well and then over a week later received an email saying I failed the field training and I was no longer an employee. How do you fail at something you were never given an opportunity to perform ? I was told I could contact the area supervisor (surprise !!! just his voicemail) for further information about the decision.

Obviously with the repeated reviews of similar content all over the internet this is an accepted practice by your company. It is a shame that you get the hopes of people in need of employment so high only to find subjective unfair excuses to fire them.

No regard for employees.

I have been working at Mueller Services

Pros

You mostly are able to set your own hours, so long as you don't mind having enormous amounts of your time wasted.

Cons

Where to start? Massive turnover due to mistreatment of employees and misrepresentation of wages. The pay schedule is actually per job and sent back to the employee as a wage dependent upon productivity Employee foots most of the field costs. Mileage reimbursement is simply Mueller forwarding you your IRS standard mileage deduction and not reimbursement at all. Terrible training program. No respect given to new employees. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!!

Try employee retention instead of treating people like cannon fodder. Sooner than later you will earn a reputation similar to pyramid sales companies. Few, if any, reasonably qualified people will stay for your mistreatment.

Field Representative - Recruiter/Auditor

Former Employee - Field Representative - Recruiter/Auditor  in  North Tonawanda, NY
    Former Employee - Field Representative - Recruiter/Auditor in North Tonawanda, NY

I worked at Mueller Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved the independence, working with homeowners, and customers. It was nice to be able to manage my own schedule and complete work as my schedule allowed. I also liked that it was part-time and I could work from home.

Cons

The company has changed over the past three years that I worked there. When I started managers were personable, returned phone calls, and very attentive to helping field staff.

I left the company after three years due to non-communication of managerial staff. I would leave multiple messages for my supervisor, emails, and go weeks without hearing from him.

I was promoted to a recruiter/auditor position and was told after 4 months of 2-5 hours a week - that they were on a hiring freeze and I would have to wait til they were ready to hire. At that point I asked to be switched back to a Field Rep - however, they had changed the way field reps get paid - and I only ended up making around $10/hour.

At the rate of $10/hour after car expenses, home office expenses, cell phone, etc. - you really aren't even making minimum wage.

Please return phone calls to staff. When out in the field and a representative has a question it is imperative that good communication takes place.

The pay system is deceptive - people go into this position thinking that they will make $12-$15/hour and after expenses they make around $9-10/hour.

Field rep' :Very independent job, make your own schedule, but compensation incommensurate with required skills.

Former Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor
    Former Employee - Field Representative/Home Surveyor

I worked at Mueller Services part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This job will allow you to work from home or anywhere you have an internet connection for the computer work needed. You may never meet a supervisor in person. Make you own schedule except for Sundays (field work not allowed). Prompt payment of wages each week, direct deposit.

Cons

Time frames reduced more and more for reports to be completed. More and more requirements added to complete a report with no increase in pay. You will actually make less and less, as most reports are paid as piece work. Totally unrealistic time frames made by company to complete a report. The amount of time you spend on the computer uploading and labeling photos, drawing and labeling sketch using company's software, transferring field report information from field check list to website forms will ALL BE RECORDED by the company. They will know exactly how much time you spend, but you are required to keep track and note the time on the report. One manager told me to use a stop watch to measure the time on the computer. Turnover of managers is incredible, though a few were fine to work with. Working weekends will be required to complete reports assigned late in the week. Many mistakes made by agents and other data entry people. If you drive to an address without verifying the correct location beforehand, you will at times be at the totally wrong location. You will be left holding the bag for other people's mistakes. No increases in pay for increased work demands. Quality control can be a nightmare. You may have to drive back to a site a second time, no matter how far away, but you be only paid once. A later re-inspect to show policyholder has made corrections will pay you $6 to $8. Doing a thorough job becomes a total dis-incentive. No consideration given to regional cost of living for pay. You will make the same whether you live in Miami Beach, Florida or Topeka, Kansas.

Do the opposite of what you are currently doing.

Worked for Mueller Services? Contribute to the Community!