Mueller Services Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
113 reviews filtered by
2.2
John Noe

Pros
  • I also liked that it was part-time and I could work from home (in 8 reviews)

• I have managed to work another part-time job (also with a flexible schedule) at the same time (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Employee Churn - Field Reps churn at a rate that's only really eclipsed by call center work (in 20 reviews)

• Low pay for the amount of knowledge one has to know to do this job effectively (in 9 reviews)

Used and abused

Current Employee - Field Representative in Cranston, RI
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Cranston, RI

I have been working at Mueller Services

Pros

Freedom to make own schedule

Cons

Pay, pay, pay. Did I forget? Pay. Policy Holder doesn't show for appointment? No problem just go back again, on your own dime. Sure you can put the mileage and even the time you spent for multiple trips. The pay for the case won't change and you won't get any extra. But they will tell you your taking too much time to complete the work and your not meeting standards. The multiple trips count against you because the Rep needs to absorb this in their base rate or else. You need a degree in deception to be hired as upper management in this company. And fixing rejected cases is like holding a complete 2nd job just not getting paid for. I guess it actually is the same job.

Pay the reps!!!!!

2. An interesting part-time job, but not without hassles.

Former Employee - Field Inspector in Bennington, VT
    Former Employee - Field Inspector in Bennington, VT

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My manager was always available via cell or email to work thru issues I encountered in the field. It was an ok way to make a few bucks during my slow season (I was a general contractor and did this for one winter/spring season).

Cons

Tight, inflexible deadlines to turn around inspections; they say "make your own schedule" but once a case in your queue it has to be done within a day or two. Living in a rural state I had several inspections that were dozens of miles away which made it hard (impossible in some cases) to make a reasonable pay rate and cover all of my expenses. You really need to extremely efficient, organized, AND get a bunch of inspections clustered together in the same neighborhood to make any real money. Not impossible but it really becomes more of a full-time job if you need to make more than gas money. I also had home-owners threaten to sue me because the inspection turned up unsafe conditions and their insurance premium was increased as a result - not worth the $10-$15/hour I was averaging on those inspections. Thick skin is needed to deal with people in this situation.

Increase pay rate if you want field inspectors to stick around in rural areas.

3. New hires frequently get promoted quickly while others have no room for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tonawanda, NY

I have been working at Mueller Services

Pros

The hours are flexible and there is limited oversight. We generally get to come and go and set our own hours.

Cons

Low pay and no room for advancement. Health insurance is expensive and the company contribution is pathetic. They never increase the monthly contribution even though the cost of insurance goes up each year.

Maybe promote people other than friends and family. People are always being promoted to positions that were never advertised as being open. Why are there like twenty directors?

Honest work for an industry leader but.....

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Mueller Services part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent chance to grow customer service skills, learn time management, gain heavy exposure to homeowners insurance industry, deal with well-known reputable insurers. Ability to work independently, set work schedule. Some of my best professional experience have been in the wide variety of insureds and settings where I've worked. Have dealt with some wonderful insureds. Mueller's home office customer service reps are absolute professional jewels! Loved my trainer, too.

Cons

Work is not profitable in long run. Payroll is honest, always received weekly pay as promised, but don't waste time trying to reconcile your work to the final pay. After training, disciplined, hard work by the field rep and increasing work flow can create a gross income that isn't bad for the time spent. Long haul the company's work assignment paradigm prevents true profitability (if you get enough work to make it worthwhile, Mueller will hire another nearby rep and cut your work). The company no doubt is concerned about ACA and putting too many proverbial eggs in one employee's basket; sadly when we reps don't get work we were hired to do added to pay, communication, etc. our departure becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy with years of experience under our belts.

The pros/cons you read from field reps in this forum are mostly true BUT few reps consider the fact that Mueller and her competitors are in a McDonald's-type industry climate. The cost of insurance inspections has to be extremely low or the insurer (Mueller's customer) will be out of business or take the inspections work to another reporting firm. To pay FR's what is truly fair for the work is like trying to sell $15 hamburgers...it won't work.

On the other hand, at every level from field management to QA up to home office/managers (including IT) it's clear some process takes place in every situation/decision to cause the field rep to be the last party considered. The online system, field procedures, compensation, communication etc. etc. etc. every time points to everyone's needs being considered and covered with Buffalo/customer interests covered first, field managers second and the FR last. If Mueller can operate profitably with the abysmal communication, poor pay, and general patronizing disrespect shown the field, what success could be achieved if the horrendous turnover were reduced? (The company no doubt has numbers on how much $$ is lost annually training and flushing reps, not to mention losing the ones with years of experience; use half of that to increase rep pay at least with length of service). Much (not all) but much of what FR's need is communication, respect, honesty (if you're going to hire another rep to take half my work, just say so), In this new employment environment, it's a given that many of us in the field have had previous career experience that Mueller and her customers are getting at a bargain price but we leave marveling at how management continues in place with their performance we see from the field (we would have been fired from previous positions with similar habits).

FR's know the challenges of moving from an exteriors market to one heavily interiors and roof oriented. Add the work of setting appointments and "selling" the process to sometimes not-so-happy insureds and the time added to conduct call center activities (I had incoming/outgoing calls up to 11 hrs per day, 7 days) has bumped this work into another level of skill and patience that takes an entrepreneurial mindset to successfully handle. While reps deal with this, we deal with a home office centered on writing/spinning off new product lines and distracted by constant diversification of services. Wherever you are in the organization, you won't have Mueller's full attention. When that happens to a level where you're dissatisfied, just relax, find other work, because the problem won't improve.

Work your own hours but beware...

Former Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Field Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Mueller Services

Pros

Set your own hours. Manager (Jesse) was great.

Cons

Compensation. You can't figure out what you are really being paid. There is talk of bonus money per case, pay for mileage etc however after you really look at the time you put in the pay is not good. In addition you have to print out all the cases (Do they know what ink and paper costs?) and make calls and appointments on your time. That's not a well run company in my opinion. Once I added the cost of ink, paper, phone, gas and work I was making at best 5.00/hour....minus taxes.

The Field Rep job is your first line. At the very least you should provide paper and ink and a phone stipend. There also needs to be a way to itemize your time/pay instead of leaving employees in the dark on what they are making.

A privately owned company that is completely out of touch with it's employees.

Current Employee - QA Department
    Current Employee - QA Department

I have been working at Mueller Services

Pros

Paid lunch. Free parking. Set own schedule.

Cons

Terrible, inadequate "self- training" on computer modules which does not even remotely prepare you for the actual work. During "training" you are left alone for a week with no one there to even ask a question. Invisible managers who give no direction. Emails go unanswered. Huge turnover. The basement level is not even fit to work in, it smells worse than a gym locker room and is as dark as a cave. Sub-par equipment. Terrible IT team, extremely slow to respond to computer issues. No office culture at all, no one speaks. Those who are hired as full-time will very often be sent home early. They are continuously interviewing and hiring. Nothing but frustration...and all for only $10 an hour. Totally not worth it.

I would be happy to give advice, but it's clear that they are not interested.

8. Insurance Crap

I have been working at Mueller Services

Pros

Make your own hours, convenient location, generally friendly co-workers, and nice employee events for holidays. 45 min lunch, or 20 breaks for less then 8 hours. Basically work here until you can get a better paying job somewhere else.

Cons

They time everything, if you can not do a case within a certain amount of time managers call you out. Also, managers really don't know everything, but will call you out. Every case is different and you really have to use a lot of judgement because few things are clear cut.

Pay a little more to field reps so that you don't have to have QA. There are a lot of changes going on at the moment.

It's not all bad. Worth looking into.

Current Employee - Field Representative in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Phila, PA

I have been working at Mueller Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working from home, Learning new skills that can be applied to a future career.

Cons

Lots of work for little pay.

offer higher wages to retain a higher quality employee.

10. Decent Placd

I have been working at Mueller Services

Pros

Make your own hours.

Cons

Upper management barely knows anything. They set ridiculous production standards. Clients change things from day to day so you don't know what to expect.

Pay employees more. Understand that production standards are ridiculous if you want quality or quality.

Worked with Mueller for 4 years.

Former Employee - Field Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mueller Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good volume of work, and their website and mobile tools are very good. It is an inspection company and you work remotely from your home, understand what you are getting into. They do actually pay you as an employer, not a contractor, they do reimburse .$.40 a mile for driving.

Cons

They do not care AT ALL, about the remote reps, no matter how good you are. They spend at least half of their budget hiring and training, because they treat the reps so badly, they know there will be high turnover. They expect it. The field managers are kids fresh out of college, who have never managed people before and have not been field reps, so they have no idea what the reps go thru. There system works well for them. if you get a job there, please do not think you will be treated as a human. I lasted 4 years because I figured that out.

Cross train your managers. It is hard to take advice and follow orders from a manager who has never been In the field and has no idea what the daily activity of a filed rep is.

Mueller Services Photos