Mullen

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mullen CEO Alex Leikikh

Alex Leikikh

Pros
  • Some really great people work here (in 8 reviews)

• Some very talented people work there (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you are over 30 with a spouse and kids, don't even try to find a work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Incredibly long hours and weekend that burn anyone out after a few years (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company; lackluster internship experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMullen is a wonderful company with employees who are passionate about the work they do and their clients. I was given a lot of responsibility as an intern. My experience at Mullen helped prepare me for future work.

ConsThe summer internship program is notorious for being competitive and highly structured. Unfortunately the Fall program was very unstructured which was frustrating when trying to get more work to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't have to pay your Fall interns but please consider implementing a more structured program - maybe an intern manager.

Fun but busy

ProsFun culture, laid back, lots of young people.

ConsLack of work/life balance, chaotic, little respect for people's time -- understaffed, over worked.

Great Social Experience

Analytics Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPeople are super helpful and friendly
    Relaxed environment
    Care about helping you

ConsThere was a significant shortage of work passed down to me, even when asked.
    Staff are extremely busy

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate more work down to interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great internship experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFree coffee, understanding staff, given a lot of responsibilities as an intern

ConsA lot of work and little appreciation and explanation

Entitled children who believe their own hype

Creative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt looks good on your resume, because somehow word hasn't gotten out yet that this is the worst disaster in the industry.

ConsThe ONLY criteria for your job performance is how much attention you've gotten for the agency. Seriously. It states this point-blank in the self-review form: "How did you make us famous?" Things that are NOT valued include: doing good work, delivering what the client needs, being collaborative, fostering creative talent, or being a good teammate.

Every project is utter chaos. There's no process, because the people who run Mullen think process is somehow antithetical to good creative.

When a piece of potentially interesting work comes around, everyone swarms it. This competition doesn't result in better work, it results in people being awful to each other.

There's no opportunity for advancement, and no prescribed path to raises or promotions. Upper management barely makes an effort to hide the fact that they are intentionally, proactively postponing and canceling reviews.

When you win awards for the agency--even though they explicitly value only this--don't expect any thanks, and certainly there won't be any raise, promotion or bonus (even though most offer letters mention frequent spot bonuses--these have never occurred to my knowledge).

Mullen has the deepest, most ingrained sense of entitlement I've ever seen, and the upper management sees praise, awards and accolades as its due. When you do good work and win awards, they're merely satisfied with themselves that they're getting what they've deserved all along. It never occurs to them that some people actually made these things. They only notice you when you fail to hand their awards up the ladder to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some humility, value your people, and understand that wins aren't always the result of your awesomeness, and losses aren't always the result of the people below you failing. You've created a company culture of arrogance, entitlement, lack of accountability, chaos, and ruthlessness. You think it's a formula for success. It is not.

Great employees, horrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo workers are great. Benefits are average.

ConsExpectations change after being hired. There is no communication except when it's a complaint.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication with employees is key to a successful business. Even negative feedback can be positive. No one can improve if they don't know what they need to improve upon.

Great creative, new management at the helm, problems are getting fixed

Vice President, Creative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMullen offers its employees the opportunity to be part of some amazing creative projects. The One Show just ranked the agency as number 15 in the world creatively. That's an exciting thing to be part of. Ideas can come from anywhere - junior to senior, the best idea wins. It's a heavily integrated place - the walls between disciplines have come down and there are loads of opportunities for people who can think outside their own job description. You'll come out of this place with a portfolio of some really impressive brand work.

ConsWith the transition from old leadership to new, there have been some pitfalls for sure. For awhile, people seemed disenchanted and motivated by fear, not excitement. They're in another transition now, with a new leader as president (Kristen Cavallo) and the ECD's now running the Boston creative department (Dave Weist and Tim Vaccarino). These three individuals are known for being, kind, smart and human. Together, the three of them are trying to bring humanity back to the agency. I think everyone (including these three individuals) would admit there was little humanity there for awhile. Anyone in the creative world will tell you, if you get a chance to work with Weist or Tim Vac JUMP AT IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs long as Kristen, Dave and Tim continue to stay true to themselves and lead people with kindness, Mullen will only change for the better. People have hearts and brains - both need to be valued equally because one rarely thrives without the other. Kristen, Dave and Tim are some of the few people in the industry who really understand this.

Somehow I made it out alive

Assistant Account Executive (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDespite the 1.5 years of hell, there were a couple of very interesting and talented people that I was lucky enough to meet (particularly in the creative department). I also learned--in the most traumatic way possible--a lot about project management and juggling multiple responsibilities at once. If you can survive a year in account management at Mullen, every other job will seem like a cake walk.

Mullen is also a well known company and has certainly helped open doors for me since escaping.

ConsI started at Mullen as an Assistant Account Executive 2 weeks after graduating, and boy, was that a rough transition. To say that the senior management was un-supportive is an understatement. After a few weeks of work I was told that I always needed to be the last person on the team to leave. That meant if someone had to work until midnight, I also had to stay in the office until midnight--even if I had absolutely nothing to do. I don't think I ever left before 9pm. And of course there is no overtime and the pay is absolutely terrible.

In addition to ridiculous hours, I found people in account management to be incredible petty and cut-throat. There was absolutely no team spirit. Everyone was out for themselves. I knew I needed to quit when one of my supervisors told me that I should never voice my opinions during meetings--even when what I was saying was a valuable contribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some humanity and understanding. It's so important to remember that your employees are human beings with lives and needs outside of the office. Employees are note soulless automatons capable of working nonstop.

Scrappy, vibrant, and energetic

Strategy (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros"Good ideas can come from anywhere." It's a cliché, to be sure, but a statement that is certainly true at Mullen. Planning, creative, PR, analytics, account management – if it's a good idea, it doesn't matter where it came from. This philosophy begins with senior leadership and is infused in the entire agency.

As a young employee, I have also had incredible access to senior leadership. I've pitched, presented, and felt heard and seen along the way. Of course, you have to seize opportunities and prove yourself. But if you do, the leadership is happy to nurture you and help you grow.

There isn't much process at Mullen – which means more opportunities to raise your hand. It is not for the faint of heart, though – you should be comfortable with just a little bit of chaos.

You are expected to work hard – and most people do. Sometimes that means working late and sometimes it means working weekends. But when you get your stuff done, you are always encouraged to enjoy life and do awesome, non-advertising things!

ConsSometimes life (work) is chaotic, but such is agency life everywhere!

Lots of opportunity

Associate Creative Director (Current Employee)

ProsLots of projects
    Pretty flat structure even though there's a lot of titles

ConsLack of work life balance
    Many opinions and overloaded upper management makes things run inefficiently

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread things out a bit and hand off some responsibilities.

Worked for Mullen? Contribute to the Community!