Mullen Reviews

Updated September 2, 2014
3.3

Mullen CEO Alex Leikikh
Alex Leikikh

Pros
  • Some really great people work here (in 8 reviews)

• Some very talented people work there (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • And if you are over 30 with a spouse and kids, don't even try to find a work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Incredibly long hours and weekend that burn anyone out after a few years (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company. I learned a lot there.

I worked at Mullen

Pros

Steller clients and great people

Cons

Disorganized, cliquey, bad location (el segundo)

Internship program set me up for future successes

Former Employee - Planning  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Planning in Boston, MA

I worked at Mullen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Role models, work ethic/culture, free coffee bar and at-cost FAGE vending machine. A group of people who are winners and passionate about the work they are doing. Kristen Cavallo is a phenomenal president. Great internship if you love advertising, especially the challenger mindset that Mullen exudes. AND it's paid.

Cons

At times people are more focused on their loads of work than the consumers they are serving or their co-workers; high turnover rates mean the talent landscape is constantly changing, not the best place to work long-term if you thrive in more consistent, value-driven organizations. Great place to build experience on awesome accounts for a few years. Dept. leadership is hit and miss, though mostly hit.

Be more transparent and deliberate about hiring practices. Job postings were misleading, and interns got strung along without getting hired after the internship ended. Invest in employees in more substantial ways. Hire a director of corporate culture.

Media Intern

Former Employee - Media Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Media Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Mullen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The Mullen internship program exposes you to many departments through the internship project, and allows you to explore outside of your specialty. If you are proactive, you can learn a lot during this internship. The people are Mullen are also great.

Cons

The hours are long and the pay is low, such is advertising. You have to really love the work and want to be there.

Continue to encourage employees to be as hybrid as possible, and take on different roles outside of their traditional title. Also work on company culture as it differs by floor and department, and try to make things more cohesive throughout the building.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Internship

Current Employee - Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mullen full-time for less than a year

Pros

Treated like a real member of the team, great learning experience, awesome location, welcoming environment, paid overtime, really cared about their interns, and actually did meaningful work.

Cons

None that I can think of. I don't think that I was there long enough to experience anything negative about the company.

Agency with a good reputation, but poor work-life balance

I worked at Mullen full-time

Pros

Mullen has a high profile name that can open up a lot of doors
    Young, energetic team and co-workers
    Learned great skills as a first job

Cons

Mullen had a horrible work life balance and was understaffed. The agency was continuously winning new business, but losing employees and still absorbing in the work. There seemed to be a lack of "process" and no training. You are thrown right into the fire expected to work on client facing projects with little guidance or formal training. Teams often work under tight deadlines and plans area always changing at the last minute leading to stress. Pay was low considering you were not compensated for your long hours and hard work.

great for the resume and nice people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mullen

Pros

good clients, fun environment, inspiring work, LOTS of opportunity and nice colleagues.

Cons

cons are based on the pros. these great clients so they need great teams. Mullen does not assign teams based on their strengths. it is actually so disorganized and chaotic, that it is 100% based on availability. Mullen is understaffed in EVERY department. fun environment is an exhausting excuse for people to constantly drink - not a professional work environment. inspiring work - gets killed. lots of opportunity is not met with reward. there is no real standard for reviews or advancement. if you do not ask for a review, you will not get one.

Treat people the way you would like to be treated.

agency that is starting to embrace ditial

I have been working at Mullen full-time

Pros

lots of talented people, and cool office space

Cons

low moral, and many exiting for other opportunities.

Life After Mullen

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Mullen full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful building, super creative people all over the place, FREE COFFEE, cutting edge work, huge variety with type of clients, always something going on.

Cons

Nights and weekends, horrible work life balance, everything was due yesterday, no parking, constant layoffs.

Great company; lackluster internship experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Mullen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Mullen is a wonderful company with employees who are passionate about the work they do and their clients. I was given a lot of responsibility as an intern. My experience at Mullen helped prepare me for future work.

Cons

The summer internship program is notorious for being competitive and highly structured. Unfortunately the Fall program was very unstructured which was frustrating when trying to get more work to do.

You don't have to pay your Fall interns but please consider implementing a more structured program - maybe an intern manager.

Great Social Experience

Current Employee - Analytics Intern  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analytics Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mullen as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are super helpful and friendly
    Relaxed environment
    Care about helping you

Cons

There was a significant shortage of work passed down to me, even when asked.
    Staff are extremely busy

Delegate more work down to interns.

Worked for Mullen? Contribute to the Community!