Multi Service

2.4

Mark O'Connell

Sink or Swim

I worked at Multi Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pleasant environment, casual dress code, good parking, phenomenal discount at upscale health club. Schedule in my department was pretty regular, working extra hours was discouraged except a few peak days a month. Very nice employee lounge set-up, two large fridge/freezers, healthy snacks available for purchase.

Cons

What was expected of me in my job was very unclear. It was six weeks before I was told what I was actually supposed to be doing, while in the process of being criticized for not doing it. The position was newly-created and apparently they were making it up as they went along. It ended up being a terrible fit - if anyone in that company knew how to read a resume they would have realized that I was not the right person for the job, regardless of how well I scored on the screening test.

People were polite but it was hard to get past name, rank, serial number. Felt very isolated.

Advise your managers that telling a salaried employee to "make sure you work at least 40 hours each week" is probably not a good idea. Brush up on your wage and hour regulations.

RUN AWAY!!!

I worked at Multi Service

Pros

A paycheck and that is about it and you will learn spreadsheets and how to use them. It will also take you back to high school with all of the nonsense that goes on here.

Cons

People's attitudes, lack of training, disrespectful supervisors, jealousy, rules not enforced the same for everyone. If you can work anywhere else at all then please do, this place is a nuthouse.

Actually hire a real trainer and use them for that purpose. Enforce rules across the board. Hire supervisors that know what they are doing. Punish the rude behavior. Have rules in place and hopefully hire someone with a spine to enforce them.

It seemed great in the beginning but started turning into an opportunity to fail big

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Multi Service full-time

Pros

The benefits are very fair, when you qualify for them, and the pay is ok

Cons

There is almost no training in the area that I work in. I am dead serious, you learn a couple of basics and they throw you out there to start dealing with complex issues that deal with complex programs that you've never seen before because their unique to the company. Day in and day out you try and get help and further training to understand what your doing however after a couple of weeks people stop wanting to help anymore.

Also the things that are allowed to be discussed at the work place are completely unprofessional, and offensive. There is an individual in my department who has tried to start office discussions on bashing conservative political parties, and calling current and former military people who can't get good enough test scores, as someone who has served, and has had four generations of my family serve I can think of nothing more offensive.

This is a good pit stop on your way to finding a career

How about not selectively enforcing rules, how about following company policy when it comes to office discussions because that kind of thing could lead to a lawsuit. How about setting up a training program that actually covers everything so you don't have handfuls of people walking out and quitting t one time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are healthy, attractive and athletic you can do very well.

Former Employee - Bill Plus  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Bill Plus in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Multi Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work is interesting and can be challenging.
    Bill Plus tries to make the workplace tolerable with Culture Club.
    HR has fun stuff like outings, picnics and ice cream truck visits in the summer.
    There are many fun and friendly people.

Cons

You are expected to revolve your life around the job, including your social life. If you are buddies with management, you have no place to go but up. If they don't like you, they will get rid of you.

If you have to take a unpaid time off for any reason, you will be threatened with disciplinary measures. HR is defensive about any complaints they receive regarding this or other questionable management behaviors.

Workplace bullies are in control and will only get a slap on the wrist at most. If someone complains about you enough, even if you can prove they are incorrect, you will get you written up and/or demoted.

Training is roughshod and is dependent on who you train with. There are little to no written procedures. Procedures change from month to month or week to week. There is a lot of information hoarding going on in the trenches. People are hesitant to have other people know how to do something that they consider Their Job. They will give partial or incorrect information to co-workers in order to maintain their position.

Judge people based on the work that they provide. Get quality control going and base reviews on that instead of social aspects. Quality of work, processing totals and results are the best measuring tool of your employees.

Get written procedures! Currently the only way to find out how to do something is to ask a co-worker who may or may not give you the complete or correct information.

Bullies and constant complainers run the show. The only way to get the positive work environment you want is to change this. Look closer at those doing all of the complaining, why are they trying so hard to get other people in trouble?

HR, stop defending management and listen to what people are trying to tell you.

Good

Former Employee - Credit Representative  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Credit Representative in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Multi Service full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hours
    Decent pay for the work
    Downtime

Cons

Boredom
    Little challenge
    Politics
    Annoyin co workers
    Little variety

Micro Management

I have been working at Multi Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Other departments seem to be full of happy and content employees

Cons

The micro-management in my department is unbearable. There is a constant revolving door with entry level positions (which is most of the department). Multiple people leave each month. Expectations for pay are over the top. Very stiff environment with interaction between department groups forbidden. Employee chit chat is prohibited, cell phones are banned. Every time off request is ridiculed and judged at under a spy glass. Management seems to revel in creating drama or making things bigger than they are. Every little detail is nitpicked to death.

Management is always trying to figure out the problem with the revolving door. Perhaps they would be better suited looking into the mirror and taking some Xanax. Realize that no one wants to transfer into the department from other departments because they know how depressing it is. You will get more work out of employees if you relax the reins and let people enjoy coming to work.

Poor Employee Retention and High Turnover

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Multi Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

-10% discount at local fitness center
    -Meet some decent people while employed here
    -Some managers not the worst ever

Cons

-VPs are conceited and short sighted
    -Management forms cliques and spreads rumors
    -The powers that be almost always think they are right, and have no problem telling you; just a problem admitting that they are wrong.
    -Most managers are the worst ever
    -In most positions the pay is not very good and certainly not industry standard - called the "Multiservice discount" by people that work here
    -Burn out employees quickly with low pay, long hours (depending on the position), and little respect
    -Very few incentives to work hard and remain with company
    -Supervisor positions are a nightmare because you are overworked, overloaded, wayyy underpaid leaned on beyond belief, and burned out before you've even put a year into the position - plan on taking your lap top home and working late because they will hire terrible workers to work beneath you and you will likely end up loaded with their work load when they quit or get fired - enjoy.

Put your ego and narrow-minded thinking to the side for long enough to see that other people have good ideas once in a while. Pay hard working employees more money and give them incentive to stay with the company, rather than move on and find other employment.

DISAPPOINTING!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Multi Service as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Able to wear jeans to work everyday!

Cons

I was told by both people who interviewed me that this was a pretty good work-life balance organization. I did not find it so.

Be upfront with your job expectations. I would never have accepted a position with the organization, if I had known what the "real" hours they expected me to work had been revealed. We both would have been better off.

If you want to be treated like an adult, this isn't the place for you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Multi Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many of my coworkers became good friends. If you want a job where you put your head down and plow through whatever mundane task they have assigned you, you'll love it here.

Cons

Everyone still clocks in. You spend time dealing with "missed punches" instead of something that might make the company money. The people at the top haven't changed in 30 years and don't plan to anytime soon. They let cancerous employees run the place with never even a slap on the wrist.

Hire a new HR team and let them work on your churn metric. When you've solved that, you probably have a good team of employees. Now tell them the corporate goals and get out of their way.

Good people, fairly poor company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Multi Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are nice. Nonmonetary benefits are decent. Quiet work environment. Good location. They recently renovated the building, and the new renovations look nice.

Cons

Not much consideration for employee well-being. There are things they could do that make employees feel like they are appreciated. Compensation is low. High turnover rate. Morale is low.

Look for ways to improve employee morale. It's not always about the bottom line. If employees aren't happy, there will continue to be high turnover.

Worked for Multi Service? Contribute to the Community!