MultiCare Health System

Updated October 18, 2014
3.4

MultiCare Health System President and CEO Bill Robertson
Bill Robertson

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are fair market standard (in 3 reviews)

• Patient Care focused, Expanding to provide more care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is talked about, but it's an expectation that you are available at all times, day or night (in 2 reviews)

• A new CEO has brought serious change (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MultiCare Health System full-time

Pros

Great company that offers great benefits and a great working environment. I work within a department that really is committed to doing excellent work and collaborates together exceptionally.

Cons

Salaries...Have seen inconsistenties in regards to new jobs that are posted and approved but then Human Resources decides to review the position again even though they have reviewed an approved the position to offer it at a lower salary then it was posted as.

My advice would be to do some evaluations within the Human Resource team with the compensation department. I have heard of many discrepencies that have occurred with employees salaries and job titles.

Great pros, but some really, really bad cons

Current Employee - Manager in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MultiCare Health System full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

MultiCare has given me some great opportunities, but I've definitely earned them. I've worked hard over the years and worked my way up. I appreciate their leadership development program, and feel that they definitely place a lot of effort into developing leaders. A big company means a lot of relationship building and movement can happen.

Excellent benefits! The pay is lower than local market, but the benefits are fantastic. Healthy at Work program, wellness fairs, contests, fun runs and marathons, discounts, shuttle and ride programs, tuition reimbursement...I could keep going.

Cons

Oh boy, where to start. For as much as MultiCare has given me, it has taken so much more.

Work life balance is talked about, but it's an expectation that you are available at all times, day or night. I often have to work through days off when my director needs something. I've given 110% but it hasn't always felt like it's enough.

The company itself goes through major upheaval on a fairly regular basis, where our jobs are at risk, and we worry about whether we will even have a job. Reorganization, taking away positions, adding different positions, changing job descriptions, and lowering quality standards to meet the bottom line...all things that happen almost annually.

Leadership could really communicate better. I hope they're working on that. Half the time it feels like no one knows what's going on.

A new CEO has brought serious change. The organization is cutting a total of $300 million dollars in operating costs over the next 3 years. The first $100 million came down last month and will be coming out of next year's budget. My department could be losing about 1/3 of our staff, maybe even more. We don't know, and that's the hard part. We have no idea what's happening, when it's happening, and how it's going to happen. We just know it's bad and it's right before Christmas.

Please communicate!

You have to show staff that it's ok to have a work/life balance.

Highly political. Play the game to survive.

I have been working at MultiCare Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally positive experiences at the staff level. Benefits are good. Work-life balance is good as long as you aren't in management.

Cons

Leadership needs a complete overhaul. More than what the new CEO already put in place. To survive, you have to know how to play the game. There's less focus on getting the right work done than there is in covering yourself and your manager. Leadership doesn't practice company values. Very little opportunity for advancement.

Start treating employees like people and not machines to get work done. Listen and value the opinion of all employees and not just leadership.

A decent company to work for but professionally limiting for some disciplines.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MultiCare Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits: Great medical and dental with generous PTO and EIT accruals.

Cons

Management/Leadership: Management is mediocre. From my observations, management falls into the extremes of the spectrum. Either you have very strong managers or managers who struggle managing a unit and their employees. Unfortunately, I have witnessed more of the latter.
    Professional Advancement: Since this is a healthcare system, there are more opportunities for growth in the clinical settings (i.e. RNs and Physicians). For those of us in administration, advancement is pretty limited. Although many professional jobs require, at minimum, a four year degree in a Healthcare related major, the opportunity for promotion is stagnated due to lack of clinical degree/experience.
    Business Plan: I do not have a business degree; however, I can see there is something wrong with the infrastructure of this organization and the way the top tier of the hierarchy is paid. We have gone through two massive layoffs since my time with the company yet the executives continue to rake in major salaries. How do they justify decreasing the workforce - especially the front line staff - yet continue to pad their pockets?

It's a job

I worked at MultiCare Health System

Pros

Employees are very active within the organization, benefits are great

Cons

Long hours, senior management disconnected

Sep 8, 2014Talent Acquisition Strategist

Without knowing more about your role, it’s difficult to respond to your specific circumstances. But we are sorry to hear that your job did not offer the work/life balance you were seeking. We wish ... More

Good Company with growth potential.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Tacoma, WA

I worked at MultiCare Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pays for CEU's, tuition assistance, cross training if desired.

Cons

High patient to nurse ratio

The high patient ratios create high turn overs. HIgh patient to CNA ratios adversely affect nurses as well.

Cliques and $$$ driven. Hard workers overlooked, horrible training huge patient panels.

I worked at MultiCare Health System

Pros

Some managers are wonderful, great nurses.

Cons

Very money focused and not patient care focused try to constantly increase work load and find ways so patients can only use their facilities. Waste money on massive marketing and talk horribly about and try to put out other companies out. Very snobbish but all talk. They are in business to make money. Not really an real "non profit"
    Some clinic managers have medical experience and some don't. Some don't know the difference between a nurse and an MA. They have MA's training Nurses!

Be more family focused and listen to your employees. Have medically trained clinic management only.

Sep 2, 2014Talent Acquisition Strategist

We view financial stewardship and quality care as inter-dependent goals. Recent changes in our industry have made it more important than ever to manage expenses so we can continue to improve the ... More

Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Multicare Health Systems in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Multicare Health Systems in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MultiCare Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff were consistently inconsistent. They did the best that they could but did not have the tools nor the initiative to do so.

Cons

Leadership was fantastic when the cameras were on, but awful and toxic and downright mean when not. Patients were not as well taken care of, not by the staff nurses, but by the management setting the "rules". Too much was expected by too few people and most of the few were entrenched and not encouraged or wanted to do what was the right thing for patients. Too much thinking about Rules and the Finances that patient care for sure took a back seat.

Do want you say -- if you can actually achieve that, then this will be a great place.

Sep 2, 2014Talent Acquisition Strategist

Given the many changes in healthcare, financial stewardship is more important than ever. But, it should never take priority over quality patient care. It’s disappointing to hear that your personal ... More

Worth it at the end of the day

Current Employee - Medical Social Worker in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Medical Social Worker in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at MultiCare Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work for an agency that helps people at the most vulnerable time of their life in their own home. Agency supports patient choice and is a non-profit (instead of a faith based health system). Independent work. Flexibility to limit amount of time interacting with negative forces in the company.

Cons

Lot of turnover, high stress, high demand. Lot of people grumbling about how it used to be. All healthcare is struggling with medicare/medicaid cuts and changes in health insurance which ripples down to everyone's job. continually asking for more and more for less. No coverage for vacations/sick days. Poor management causes flux in census resulting in staff being low census'ed or way over booked. Work itself carries its own stress of accumulative grief.

There hasn't been a consistent management in the last 3 years to provide advice to.

Very "corporate" and sometimes disorganized... but the people make it great.

I worked at MultiCare Health System as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Loved my coworkers, projects were challenging, pay was good, and everyone put patients first regardless of their level of interaction with them. Staff in my department (marketing) always tried to acknowledge high achievers and innovators.

Cons

Sometimes the bureaucracy got in the way. Some of my hiring paperwork got mixed up and kept me from getting paid for weeks--and as an independent contractor, that's a big problem.

Don't ignore the needs of temporary and contract employees!

MultiCare Health System Photos