Multiband Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.3

Multiband CEO Jim Mandel
Jim Mandel

Pros
  • Free Directv for people who work on that part of the business (in 6 reviews)

• I worked with some good people, but that was not enough to make up for all the issues encountered there (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no pay increases in 7 years (in 4 reviews)

• We were supposed to call in sick 4 hours before shift but supervisor would not answer calls earlier than 2 hours before shift (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

installation technician

Former Employee - Installation Technician  in  Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Manchester, NH

I worked at Multiband full-time for more than a year

Pros

great money during the "busy" season (summer), free DirecTV, get to bring work van home daily

Cons

major challenge is work/home life balance, you go from having a great paycheck and not seeing family all summer to having no paycheck and home a lot during the off season. upper management claims not a lot of new installs during off months (which pay the most) but most likely the independent contractors get a majority of these delegated to them by the company

treat the actual employees with respect, don't delegate out the higher paying jobs to the contractors -by doing this it will actually increase team morale. . . I promise!

Turn and Run!!!

Current Employee - Technician  in  Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Technician in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Multiband full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Difficult to get fired. If you are a slacker, liar, or have no work ethic, this is the place for you! I actually hope all the losers out there come to Multiband so they get out of the rest of the job force;

Cons

Every single second of every single day. I hate this job so much i have considered suicide but then they win. Good luck making any money and ever seeing your family again, Thats gone. And dont get hurt, you will be on minimum wage light duty for years till you give in and quit so they dont have to pay you.

Turn the rifle towards your face and pull the trigger and put us all out of our misery.

Goodman Is Evil

Former Employee - Business Intelligence Administrator  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Business Intelligence Administrator in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Multiband full-time for less than a year

Pros

There were frequent company parties. There was a diverse group of employees.

Cons

One day out of the blue, almost every executive was fired. We were told by Goodman representatives that if we did our jobs we would fine; two weeks later forty people were laid off with zero notice. Nobody trusts anybody else and for good reason. Upper management are all trying to take each other's jobs. Low compensation. Little training. High stress. Felt like we were lied to. Company who acquired Multiband, Goodman, has no idea what they are doing and are very dishonest. I can't imagine either Goodman or Multiband lasting very long. This experience showed me everything I want to avoid in a job.

Change the way you do everything. Start caring about your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not likely to suceed.

Current Employee - Technician  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Technician in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Multiband full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company provides a van and gas card. Free Directv Service.
    If you remain motivated, work fast and don't care too much about quality you can make a good living.

Cons

You are at the mercy of company policy and your supervisors willingness to make sure you are not getting consumed with time consuming low paying work with long (unpaid) driving distances.
    Corporate changes the quality incentives and benchmarks to meet metrics almost quarterly. Bonuses are more and more difficult to attain and often carry prerequisites that are not told to the technicians unless all other metrics are met.

Actually listen and consider the requests made by technicians. Also, it's no secret that FS scheduler and dispatch is completely useless. Trust in your tech supervisors to dispatch and move jobs. You'll see productivity and morale skyrocket.

Would not make this a first choice of employment

Former Employee - Dispach Tech  in  Wyoming, MI
    Former Employee - Dispach Tech in Wyoming, MI

I worked at Multiband full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long weekends (work 3 days on, 4 days off), nice group of co workers, discount on DirecTv,

Cons

long hours a day with little breaks, little pay, no bonuses or commissions, no room to grow within the company,

They need better team leads on the floor.

Stressful and dangerous

Former Employee - Elite Technician
    Former Employee - Elite Technician

I worked at Multiband full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay when you close multiple jobs.
    401k and health benefits.
    Customers are generally decent to work with.

Cons

Too many to go through, but....

The metrics (repeat service calls, customer surveys, etc...) management want you to work on change frequently.

Your GMs are constantly getting fired or resigning before they get terminated leaving morale very low.

I worked there for about a year, applied for a trainer, only for multiband to hire an external who knew ZERO about satellites and installation.

You are replaceable and will constantly worry about your job.

Good luck:)

Resign...

Routing Coordinator Dispatcher

Former Employee - Routing Coordinator Dispatcher  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Routing Coordinator Dispatcher in Houston, TX

I worked at Multiband full-time for less than a year

Pros

interesting job , helping techs was very rewarding, helping customers sync with the technicians is always rewarding.

Cons

worked techs to death in the summertime, cross talk was awful and inappropriate , not enough concentration on proper customer service to the clients and not enough respect to the technicians ,

none. they moved call center to Kentucky , prior to their move I would have suggested possible stop hiring people not interesting in technology

Directv: Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Multiband full-time for less than a year

Pros

10/hour training, tech knowledge, good environment in the office

Cons

Directv: weather, like a labor job, you have to sale to succeed

Directv: earnings per job and effort. rethink the value of a service call when it wasn't made up to code

ABSOLUTLY MOST TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

Former Employee - Technician  in  Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Technician in Youngstown, OH

I worked at Multiband full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

there are actually no pros to the job other than it is slightly better than public assistance since you can get out of the house for long periods of time

Cons

where to begin--
    1 with the exception of about 3 months per year, an employee can expect to make minimum wage or less
    2 promises (lies) about incentives (bonus money) are made on a regular basis. however, this money is only available if the market reaches the incentive metric that changes more than most change underwear.
    3 in reference to above--management focuses on those metrics to a point where the negative becomes the norm. management constantly tells the technicians to control what they can control--but the incentive metrics are all related to issues that cannot be controlled by the technicians. ex. service calls, management says educate the customer, technician goes over every aspect of education, customer still calls with issue and a service call is created. ex. technician does and outstanding job, customer has a lemon for a receiver, service call is created. incentive is based on service calls, not quality of work.
    4 company claimed that the technician is the most important asset. however, technician is directed to lie to customers (or better yet, clean up lies told by Directv) about customer satisfaction scores. all that the company cares about is making numbers look good. ex. question to customer..."on a scale of 1-10,based on your overall Directv experience, how likely are you to recommend Directv to a family member or friend?" multiband does not want the truth, they want technicians to direct the customer to answer 10 based on the job completed that day. and mind you, the call comes within a short period of time after the technician leaves. how could anyone make a rational decision after a short period of time?

you should all quit or be fired. but since that will not happen, you should take a long hard look at what you doing to the people that work very hard to make you look good. no other company in the world (at least that I am aware of) encourages lying to customers, does not provide an end time to a work day for the money you pay, and thinks that a system of control by how work is assigned is good way to operate. good luck if you continue down this path, because you will be constantly training employees at a rate greater than you every have. the exodus has begun and more and more experienced technicians will be walking out your door if you don't actually make them valuable.

Where is the Pay and Benefits

Current Employee - Manager  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Multiband full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom at this company is great. If you want to make a significant difference in the company you can. The structure allows for minimal red tape to make changes.

Cons

Simply put, the pay and benefits aren't great. In 2014 only technicians are getting raises. When I started I was told about my incentive pay, but then I started getting very little benefits from it. The Health Insurance is sub-par, and can be beaten by Obama Care. The dental benefits are basically a coupon, towards high costs of dental care. I understand the technician is the starting point for our revenue, but all the supervisors and support really impact their performance.

The biggest area is pay. Even though technicians make the revenue, you really have to spread the compensation fairly across all levels. If you have attrition in sups and support, you will have it in techs no matter how much they make. Techs shouldn't make more than sups or above, but it happens all too often. A technician with only 6 months productivity can make a significant amount more than a Tech Sup, Ops Manager, and some regional roles and managers.

Worked for Multiband? Contribute to the Community!