Multicultural Marketing Resources

1.2

Lisa Skirloff

MMR is a Chop Shop

Former Employee - Public Relations Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Multicultural Marketing Resources as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The clients are great, and my former co-workers became some of my closest friends. The president has a great eye for talented PR and marketing professionals, all of whom depart shortly after they realize what a sham this company really is. The office is in a great location for socializing after work.

Cons

The president does not value employees who actually want to work, have great ideas, and want to service the clients. She is more interested in positioning herself as a "multicultural marketing expert" and peddling crappy, outdated products. Her practices are unethical, and she encourages staff to do the least possible work for clients until the clients realize something is afoot and they're being swindled. Her inability to run a company isn't like anything I've ever seen. I am amazed that MMR is still in business.

Trust the people you hire to do their jobs. Get some integrity, and stop cheating clients.

Downgrading, Cheating, and Unethical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Multicultural Marketing Resources full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues; keep you from going insane (literally).

Cons

Downgrading: Lisa Skriloff (President of MMR) will treat you like you're incompetent, worse than if you were a child. Though this certainly comes from her Education background, this is not an excuse to treat ANYONE (especially an employee whose skills were hired for a reason) the way she does. She will belittle you behind the scenes and on the stage. Micro-management is sane to a degree, she takes it a whole another level to the point of putting your sanity in jeopardy. Mind you, I am not exaggerating.
    Cheating: Like other reviews here, her business is a scam. She calls her company a "Marketing, Sales, PR" business but all it does is transfer a piece of work WRITTEN BY THE CLIENT and mass send it. MMR does not produce any work, it only sends a mass email to contacts that can be researched online.
    Unethical: 1) No contracts or any kind of documentation signed; even if you ask her for paperwork. I am sure this is illegal. 2) She will not pay you your sales commission even though you have proof of such work...Unless you threaten her with legal liabilities, to which she will also have the last word and call YOU unethical for claiming what you've earned. I sure this is illegal, also. 3) She will put words in your mouth, blatantly disrespect you, and use your personal background to benefit herself and the company. Surely, this is illegal.

Even more additional cons: She will go through your desk; through every single thing on it. She will pretend like it's not 6pm yet and keep giving you work until you take initiative in leaving. She will have weekly/every other day 4+ hour meetings running through subjects that are unnecessary. She will bring in an "employee" whose duty is to spy on you; talk about trust issues. On top of many MANY more red flags.

I would not recommend working at MMR even to my worst enemy!

Retire

I should have heeded the first review and stayed Far Far away

I worked at Multicultural Marketing Resources

Pros

Co-workers who help to keep your saneness

Cons

This job will make you feel like you're reaching the brink of insanity
    The micro management is belittling, and an insult to your intelligence and work as a professional
    The CEO will engage in unethical tactics in separating and attempting to embarrass employees in front of other employees
    You will constantly have to defend every single thing that you do and never be able to move ahead
    You'll be doing executive level work and only receive recognition as an assistant including little pay
    Believe me when I tell you this, you DO NOT want to work for the CEO of this small company

You should not be in a position of managing people.

Assistant

Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Multicultural Marketing Resources full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice view from office
    Co-workers got me through the day

Cons

Micro-Manager
    No room for grown
    Immature management
    Ideas shutdown
    Discouraging, disrespectful

Trust employees

Stay Away If You Want to Stay Sane

I worked at Multicultural Marketing Resources

Pros

MMR mostly represented businesses that are either owned by people of color or targeted multicultural customers. The clients are wonderful--lovely to work with. No crazy egos or primadonnas, just down-to-earth, hardworking folk.

Cons

Lisa Skriloff is a terrible manager. With the office and number of staff is so small, her lack of people management skills became extremely pronounced and was downright unbearable. The constant turnover is testiment to how badly treated her staff is.

Treat your employees with trust and respect and they'll treat you the same way. Stop looking at them as if they're out to steal from you or as if they're children that need to be disciplined.