Multimedia Games Reviews

Patrick J. Ramsey

1. QA

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment, discounts on food, plenty of events, low stress compared to other QA jobs. Team oriented friendly.

Cons

Hard to move up. All the executives that made this company successful and a great place to work have been let go by GCA. No option to work from home. Many good people leaving since GCA took over.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture that was successful for us the past 4 years.

2. Not bad

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games (More than a year)

Pros

flexible hours, good family environment

Cons

lack of direction from senior management

Advice to Management

Focus on building a software company with the standards of today.

Voted one of the best places to work in Austin by its employees for many years in a row ... BUT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall a really GREAT place to work!
    - A growing company in the casino industry
    - Flexible work hours
    - Great work/life balance
    - Generous snack subsidy and choices
    - Super casual dress code
    - A lot of training opportunity if you want it
    - Depending on the group, you get to work with a bunch of fun people
    - Does things to show employee appreciation

Cons

- Company just got bought by another casino-related company and has started laying people off
    - New executives changed bonus payout to once a year instead of every quarter depending on goals met
    - Not sure yet if new executives are going to start messing with the great atmosphere here
    - Not a lot of opportunity for career growth. People seem to be able to do career advancement after they leave.

Advice to Management

This has been a REALLY great place to work! Will your employees want to keep rating this company as one of Austin's best places to work? Be careful what you do with this place. I know you spent a lot of money to buy us but that doesn't mean you need to come in and gut this place.

A Breath of Fresh Air

Current Employee - Business Applications Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Applications Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I took a giant leap leaving my previous job of 7 years to move to Austin but boy am I glad I did. Multimedia Games has opened a door to me that I never knew existed. There are actually thriving companies out there that genuinely care about their employees?? Working here is truly like working beside family and friends. Sure, everyone has their disagreements from time to time but it is not unusual for a random co-worker to ask you to join them at lunch or play a few rounds of ping pong (table provided by the company) during break to de-stress. The company as a whole has shown more concern for their people than any other place I have worked for. As mentioned before, they provide fun games and activities to help their employees to relax and recharge as well as the many activities planned throughout the year. We are even in the process of forming a wellness group for the employees, by the employees.
    Opportunity for advancement is also very strong within MGAM. If you do the job that is given to you with enthusiasm and precision, it will be noticed and when opportunity that fits your skill set opens up, you will be considered. I have been fortunate enough to be promoted twice within the past two years.
    This environment they have created greatly encourages our teams to be enthusiastic about our work days and to come together as one to tackle any goals in our path. Creativity and candidness are truly embraced here. Compared to where I came from, I can't be anything but thrilled to be working here.

Cons

Our communication and organization could be a bit more improved throughout the company but I think that's the case with most companies. We have already come very far on this topic.

Advice to Management

Keep politics to a minimum and lets hold onto our company culture for as long as possible!

6. Fantastic Workplace is so TRUE!

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MGAM is a great place to work.! After working at some of Austin's tech companies as well as local institutions of Higher Ed as well as multiple state agencies, I can honestly say that MGAM is a fantastic place to work. They have a family first attitude which I love since I have two little ones and occasionally need to take time off for sick kiddos, dr visits, ballet recitals, etc. There is great flexibility depending on your role. Also, the people... I can't say enough about the folks that work here. Smiles all around. MGAM lacks that ladder climbing political feel that a lot of companies have. You feel safe and secure in the environment and you really feel like a contributor. Beautiful office with the added benefit of the Company Kitchen and some really great support personnel, HR, IT, etc!

Cons

The cons are still cons but are getting better. There are some great ideas when it comes to the processes that MGAM uses to create and deploy new products but these still need some serious work. The great thing is... People are open to improving and they WANT to!

Advice to Management

Turn visions into STRATEGIES that can be accomplished with goals to deliver internally. Not always Sales goals! Although I do acknowledge the importance of those goals as well. :-)

Mature and growing company with great people.

Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with at every level. Has been steadily growing and expanding into new markets. Does a good job of offering career training and fun company activities. Bonus and stock option plans available.

Cons

Location of HQ is awful for the commute of pretty much everyone coming from any direction. The sale of company to Global Cash Access Holdings adds some uncertainty.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Share the wealth with those that do the heavy lifting.

8. Take a ride in the way-back machine!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* If you want a job where you can sit back and be lazy, this is the place for you.
    * They tend to be very loyal, often hiring back former employees who quit or get fired. Though, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Cons

Middle and upper management spend more time trying to stab each other in the back than get actual products out the door.

* Antiquated technology
    * Antiquated thinking
    * Not a technology company.

Advice to Management

Realize that you're a technology company, and understand what that means.

9. It's an awesome company that allow artists to do what they love to do while treating them really well

Current Employee - Artist I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Artist I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

high salary, great benefits, great training and management, not to mention the working hours are great and I still have a life as an artist.

Cons

I don't see anything bad with the company so far.

Advice to Management

I've seen a lot of personal growth as I work here in the company.

10. You can work in a good silo, or in a very bad silo. Either way it's a silo...

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time

Pros

Strong company with a decent client base will likely be around for a while.

Cons

1) Location location location. The location is horrible.
    1a) Depending on what department you work for: inflexible work hours. Mandatory core hours force employees to drive on 360 during peak hours resulting in insane commute times.
    2) Depending on what department you work for: management can be awful. Departments run on fear. Backstabbing. Active undermining. Seriously hostile work environment type stuff.
    3) Depending on what department you work for: absolutely NO career path. In fact, when members of the team wanted to pursue alternate career paths, they were actively prohibited from doing so.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at your middle management structure and decide if it is really worth continuing to pay those people to chase away top talent.

If you are looking for stable employment and a paycheck, this is a solid place to work. If you want a career, look elsewhere.

Times have changed at MGAM!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

GREAT work/life balance, everyone knows you by name not EEID, On the rise company with a start-up feel, casual dress/culture, and most importantly, even the CEO knows who you are!

Cons

Not MGAM's fault, but commute to corp HQ can be a pain some days.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees needs/wants and be more interactive around the office. Yes, your busy, but who isn't!!??

RSS Feed </> Embed