Multimedia Games
www.multimediagames.com Austin, TX 150 to 499 Employees

Multimedia Games Reviews

Updated Mar 5, 2014
Multimedia Games – Austin – “fun”

Multimedia Games CEO Patrick J. Ramsey

Patrick J. Ramsey

Decent culture but not that great

Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time for more than a year

ProsFun people and decent environment

ConsPoorly rewarded employees and poor management

Interesting line of work but with little chance for professional growth.

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Multimedia Games

ProsGet to work in a field (gaming/gambling) that is unusual and few people get to see. Lots of interesting and behind the scenes view into casinos.

ConsYou will be worked hard and expected to be available for support at all hours of the night. You may have to travel at any given moment with very little notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to employees that go the extra mile. Offer bonuses and stock to employees that put in extra time and effort or go above and beyond.

Good job for a time

I worked at Multimedia Games

ProsGood pay, and I learned a lot. They used cutting edge server and data base technology, interesting field. Good hiring practices.

ConsExtreme number of late night support calls. Too many projects with too few engineers. Owners sons given free reign. Expected to provide poor customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake Fewer projects, focus on a small set of core customers and make them extremely happy. Don't allow business development to promise features without consulting development.

Go elsewhere if you consider your career growth important

ProsPay is fair
Good work/home life balance
Unique work experience working with Indian casino gaming
Casual work environment and dress code

ConsTraining is virtually nonexistent
Disorganized in a lot of business processes
Support from management is lacking at times
Employees are placed in positions without consideration of their qualifications or their career path

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you unilaterally pigeonhole your employees into undesirable positions, you're pretty much telling them you don't value them as employees and they will go elsewhere. Start treating your employees as partners instead of flunkies. Work with them on their career paths to find the best fit for both the employee and the company.

OK place to work, but needs growth.

Senior Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Multimedia Games

ProsLots to work on and it's pretty dynamic. Chances to work on a variety of technologies / platforms, so it never gets boring. Work / life balance is pretty good. Rewards are given more for success than for simply working hard.

ConsNo real chance for career growth - company is stagnant and offers few opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.
Not a place to come if you're a beginner - there is no training and most developers are too busy to show newbies the ropes.
Not very much cooperation among teams or even within teams - everyone is out to prove that they are the indispensable team / developer, even if it means putting down good ideas simply because they did not think of them first (how else could we have 3 different developments for the SAME product).

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster a more cooperative environment among people and teams. Growth growth growth (I know, easier said than done).

Great market growth opporunities but lack of clear strategic vision and accountibility

ProsTalented, fun, fearless people
Huge potential for market growth
Unique, interesting industry

ConsLack of accountibility
Poor strategic vision
Poor communication from management to employees
Lack of career advancement
High stress mode of operation

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve in the company's potential and put more effort in trying to grow the company versus trying to unload the problems. Strong and clear strategic vision and leadership are greatly needed.

Great place, great talent, lack of senior mgmt vision

Director (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation
People
Organization
Work / Life Balance
Leading edge in MS technologies

ConsLack of "real" senior strategic vision.
HUGE compensation gap between execs and VPs and Director.
Lack of inductry visionaries.
Removed from industry because of location.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire 2 of the 6 partners (the ones that are never here), This company needs more indians and less Chiefs. Having execs that don't even have a permanent residence in Austin is demoralizing, specially when they make insane amounts of money.

Getting better

ProsNo dress code
New management making better decisions
Ping Pong ladder tournaments weekly. Even the execs play
Hard work is now recognized and rewarded

ConsNo clear vision of the future of the company from upper management
Cost cutting started to get irritating, hard to fund projects or back-fill needed positions

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making good financial decisions, however, you need to figure out how to hold on the the remaining talent... And perhaps even attract some new talent? The stock has gone up since all the cost cutting, but without talented employees you won't have a product to sell.

A quick, basic review of the company.

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Multimedia Games

ProsFast Paced environment. Company Barbeque's. Fun and exciting projects. Co-workers are fun, friendly, and intelligent.

ConsCompany seems to spread itself thin in new product development. While this can be attributed to the industry's demands, it would be nice to see growth in the use of products already in the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on acquiring/developing new game titles to expand our selection in current markets. Seek out additional markets that can utilize our existing products.

Worked for Multimedia Games? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Multimedia Games reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Multimedia Games CEO Patrick J. Ramsey. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Multimedia Games employees.