Multimedia Games

Multimedia Games CEO Patrick J. Ramsey
Patrick J. Ramsey

Good job for a time

I worked at Multimedia Games

Pros

Good pay, and I learned a lot. They used cutting edge server and data base technology, interesting field. Good hiring practices.

Cons

Extreme number of late night support calls. Too many projects with too few engineers. Owners sons given free reign. Expected to provide poor customer service.

Take Fewer projects, focus on a small set of core customers and make them extremely happy. Don't allow business development to promise features without consulting development.

OK place to work, but needs growth.

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games

Pros

Lots to work on and it's pretty dynamic. Chances to work on a variety of technologies / platforms, so it never gets boring. Work / life balance is pretty good. Rewards are given more for success than for simply working hard.

Cons

No real chance for career growth - company is stagnant and offers few opportunities to climb the corporate ladder.
    Not a place to come if you're a beginner - there is no training and most developers are too busy to show newbies the ropes.
    Not very much cooperation among teams or even within teams - everyone is out to prove that they are the indispensable team / developer, even if it means putting down good ideas simply because they did not think of them first (how else could we have 3 different developments for the SAME product).

Foster a more cooperative environment among people and teams. Growth growth growth (I know, easier said than done).

Great market growth opporunities but lack of clear strategic vision and accountibility

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games

Pros

Talented, fun, fearless people
    Huge potential for market growth
    Unique, interesting industry

Cons

Lack of accountibility
    Poor strategic vision
    Poor communication from management to employees
    Lack of career advancement
    High stress mode of operation

Believe in the company's potential and put more effort in trying to grow the company versus trying to unload the problems. Strong and clear strategic vision and leadership are greatly needed.

Great culture, no growth

I have been working at Multimedia Games

Pros

Great culture
    Great co-workers
    Innovative environment
    Great work-life balance

Cons

Inadequate compensation (until you find another job)
    flat structure leads to not as much growth opportunities
    some members of executive management short sighted and sometimes plain incompetent

evaluate your worth, evaluate worth of employees regularly. If they're seriously looking for another job, it's already too late. keep up the culture and innovative environment.

Great place, great talent, lack of senior mgmt vision

Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games

Pros

Compensation
    People
    Organization
    Work / Life Balance
    Leading edge in MS technologies

Cons

Lack of "real" senior strategic vision.
    HUGE compensation gap between execs and VPs and Director.
    Lack of inductry visionaries.
    Removed from industry because of location.

Fire 2 of the 6 partners (the ones that are never here), This company needs more indians and less Chiefs. Having execs that don't even have a permanent residence in Austin is demoralizing, specially when they make insane amounts of money.

Getting better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games

Pros

No dress code
    New management making better decisions
    Ping Pong ladder tournaments weekly. Even the execs play
    Hard work is now recognized and rewarded

Cons

No clear vision of the future of the company from upper management
    Cost cutting started to get irritating, hard to fund projects or back-fill needed positions

Keep making good financial decisions, however, you need to figure out how to hold on the the remaining talent... And perhaps even attract some new talent? The stock has gone up since all the cost cutting, but without talented employees you won't have a product to sell.

A quick, basic review of the company.

Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games

Pros

Fast Paced environment. Company Barbeque's. Fun and exciting projects. Co-workers are fun, friendly, and intelligent.

Cons

Company seems to spread itself thin in new product development. While this can be attributed to the industry's demands, it would be nice to see growth in the use of products already in the market.

Concentrate on acquiring/developing new game titles to expand our selection in current markets. Seek out additional markets that can utilize our existing products.

Fantastic Workplace is so TRUE!

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (more than an year)

Pros

MGAM is a great place to work.! After working at some of Austin's tech companies as well as local institutions of Higher Ed as well as multiple state agencies, I can honestly say that MGAM is a fantastic place to work. They have a family first attitude which I love since I have two little ones and occasionally need to take time off for sick kiddos, dr visits, ballet recitals, etc. There is great flexibility depending on your role. Also, the people... I can't say enough about the folks that work here. Smiles all around. MGAM lacks that ladder climbing political feel that a lot of companies have. You feel safe and secure in the environment and you really feel like a contributor. Beautiful office with the added benefit of the Company Kitchen and some really great support personnel, HR, IT, etc!

Cons

The cons are still cons but are getting better. There are some great ideas when it comes to the processes that MGAM uses to create and deploy new products but these still need some serious work. The great thing is... People are open to improving and they WANT to!

Turn visions into STRATEGIES that can be accomplished with goals to deliver internally. Not always Sales goals! Although I do acknowledge the importance of those goals as well. :-)

Mature and growing company with great people.

Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Producer in Austin, TX

I worked at Multimedia Games full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with at every level. Has been steadily growing and expanding into new markets. Does a good job of offering career training and fun company activities. Bonus and stock option plans available.

Cons

Location of HQ is awful for the commute of pretty much everyone coming from any direction. The sale of company to Global Cash Access Holdings adds some uncertainty.

Stay the course. Share the wealth with those that do the heavy lifting.

It's an awesome company that allow artists to do what they love to do while treating them really well

Current Employee - Artist I in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Artist I in Austin, TX

I have been working at Multimedia Games full-time (less than an year)

Pros

high salary, great benefits, great training and management, not to mention the working hours are great and I still have a life as an artist.

Cons

I don't see anything bad with the company so far.

I've seen a lot of personal growth as I work here in the company.

Multimedia Games Photos