Multivision (Virginia)

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
4.2

Srikanth Ramachandran

If you are looking for a career in IT, this is where you stop!

Current Employee - Java Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Java Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with this company for over 2 years now. When I graduated and wanted a career in Information Technology, not many companies were interested to hire me since I did not have actual work experience. After several discussions with my friends and family, I joined their training program and believe me, it was very rewarding. Just over 2 years after having joined this company, I am earning a healthy salary equivalent to mid-level or senior-level programmers in the industry. The training program was a very intensive one and I had to do lot of studying to catch up with the pace, yet, it was fun and I am fully reaping the benefits of the training program now. People here are very professional, friendly and listen to you and your needs. The benefits are also good here though it can be better but given your pay, you can't complain much about this. Your appraisals and pay hikes are almost on auto pilot where you don't need to remind them, they come to you on the specified date. You get deployed on their client projects so you need to build a rapport with the team at the client site consisting mostly of contractors. Work life balance depends on the client where you work for.

Cons

Nothing much except that they could provide better relocation benefits.

Please consider providing better benefits.

Nice experience with them throughout my multiple years of employment

Current Employee - Java/J2EE Developer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Java/J2EE Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Multivision for about 3 years now. When I was looking for a job in Information Technology about 3 years back, I attended many interviews where I was declined since I did not have knowledge on latest technologies. As you know, technologies keep changing every day and it is impossible to keep pace with the ever changing technology landscape unless you are willing to spend money and get trained. Finally, I landed with Multivision and had an intensive training program with them where I was equipped with knowledge on latest technologies as also high level certifications. Thereafter, Multivision initiated my contract work search and I ended up being a SOA/Java developer with a Banking client. I have been working at this Banking client for the last 3 years and whenever I needed to update my knowledge on the latest J2EE technologies, Multivision was always there to help. I received on the job assistance too from them and people here are proactive in making sure that their employees are happy and motivated all the time. I was provided with a fixed package and revision every one year and now after 3 years I am earning a Salary which I could not even imagined 3 years back.

Cons

Nothing much to discuss here. Probably the training program can be less intensive and more 'live' projects could be provided

Multivision has a unique model in Information Technology work force development, so I urge the Management to continue this focus.

They do everything they promise

Current Employee - .NET Contractor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - .NET Contractor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The training was top notch. Fast paced, but the amount you learn in that time is remarkable. Very friendly environment and atmosphere. Really feel prepared with what 'ive learned here

Cons

again, very fast paced training so you need to work hard while here. Also stipends are small but still livable. Apartments aren't the greatest, but they supply everything you need in them so you cant complain about that.

Highly valuable company. I wish more companies would return to this approach.

Current Employee - .NET Developer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - .NET Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training that really matters in today's technical job market.
    Compensation for moving to Virginia.
    Paid-living quarters.
    Paid-training.
    Great benefits.
    Very comfortable work environment.
    Co-workers are pleasant to be around.

Cons

Very intense (compact) training.
    Constant immersion in code. Non-stop training even after work.
    Stipend to live off per week is just enough for bare-necessities.

Upper management is doing a fantastic job. Just at some points, I believe some individuals need help right then and there. Individuals must be self-motivated and able to keep up with the program. Everything about the company is great. I can't say how much I value Multivision's time and effort with me. The stipend is a bit low, in my opinion, but reasonable enough to live on per week.

Great Work Experience, Great Colleagues

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great training and great opportunities provided. I've been with Multivision for over a year now and I have no regrets at all. The experience I've gained while working with Multivision is incredible and has really helped me in my current projects. I'm currently working with several colleagues on a project and they are both very knowledgeable, which I'm sure is in part to the great training that Multivision provides.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. The hours can be hard and you have to put in work in order to see results, but this is to be expected going in to a software developer position.

Best decision of my (professional) life

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

- Intensive Training Experience: for 8 weeks you will have your brain pumped full of incredibly useful information and knowledge of the tools you'll actually be using on whatever project you end up working on

- Great Interview Preparation: Each week they test you with a technical interview style test on the subject of the week and they won't let you begin looking for a job till you pass their internal technical interview.

- Excellent study and reference guides: They provide you with a book for each subject area you're training in which will help you both in making it through their training course, as a reference when you need to look up something on the job and in preparation for any certification you go for. In addition to this, they also provide you with a stellar technical interview study guide which has a list of the most common interview questions for each different technology covered. (That is probably one of the most valuable things you'll receive out of this)

- The Training is FREE: There are a lot of different bootcamps and training academies out there, but (as far as I know) Multivision is the only one to provide completely free training. That might sound too good to be true (it did to me) and there are some conditions on it. For example if you complete the training and then for whatever reason break your contract, they're gonna charge you for it.

- Excellent Job Search support: There are so many frustrating and stressful things about trying to find a job and Multivision does an amazing job of helping you with that. They'll help you craft an amazing resume. They'll handle all of the job applications and salary negotiation. Literally, all you'll need to do are the interviews, that's it.

- Professional Skills Growth Support: Even after the training is over, Multivision continues to encourage and help you learn and improve as a developer. They encourage you to get certificates by promising salary boosts if you get them. On top of that, if you take (and pass) a certification test, they'll refund you the cost of the test!

- Guaranteed Salary: Your salary will be set by them in your initial contract. That number is guaranteed. If you make it through the training you WILL be making that salary, which is more than what you could possibly hope for as junior developer. In addition to this, they provide guaranteed minimum salary raises each year and if you complete some certificates, they'll give you even more.

- Housing: During training, if you need it, they'll provide you with housing incredibly close to their training facility. They provide a weekly cleaning service (but expect you to take care of the place) They don't charge you rent for your time there until AFTER you've received a job. And even then, the rent they charge is incredibly cheap.

- Advance and Move support: If your job takes you out of the DC area, they'll help you with some of the move costs. Additionally, if you need it (for example to help cover getting an apartment), they'll provide you an advance on your paycheck.

Cons

- Intensive Training Experience: You will be expected to learn a new development tool as well as a whole slew of programming concepts every single week. If you fall behind, it just gets harder and harder to keep up. Multivision does provide as much support as they can on this and if you fail a test, DON'T WORRY, they'll let you try again in a few days. They really want you to succeed. But, if you can't keep up, they will eventually ask you to leave. We lost a few people in our batch because of this.

- Health benefits could be better: The health and dental plans they provide for you are ok, but the amount they'll deduct from you for them is SIGNIFICANTLY more if you're not based in the DC area and the coverage isn't that great. I imagine the coverage is much better if you are based in the DC area.

- Compensation is good, but not as good as being a direct employee: What you make starting out is fantastic. Much better than most (if not all junior developer positions) but some bootcamps will help get you jobs as an employee of a company instead of as a contractor which can mean a greater salary. (But note that those all require you pay for your training up front)

- Housing is a little cramped: They provide you extremely affordable housing, but they accomplish that by stacking you 2 to a room, though I must say, having full sized bunk beds was fantastic. It can also be a little messy, but that has more to do with how well you and your roommates keep it clean. The one I staid in was pretty clean, but that was because we all kept it that way. We did have a roach problem, but Multivision made sure the exterminators came to deal with that.

- Better health and dental plans for people outside of the DC area.

- Provide some employer matching on your company 401k.

- Make the final project more complex and less follow the step by step instructions. Force the students to think and come up with a solution to a development problem like they'll need to do on the job.

Experience at Multivision was phenomenal

Current Employee - Java Programmer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Java Programmer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) full-time

Pros

If you're thinking on having a career in software development, Multivision is the way to go. You have to go through a basic tech screening before you get admitted into the program. They need to know if you understand basics of OOP. After that, they bring you in for a training period, usually for about 10 weeks. Through this time you get free accommodation and stipends every week. They teach you technologies that are being used in the job market by thousands of companies and clients. Its very informative. You get tons of help from the trainers and projects to work on to practice your new learned skill. The trainers are pretty cool and helpful and so are the other officials in the office.

Cons

I didn't really have any issues with the training program. However, for the training program, you do get put up with people who're in the same program. (Kind of a dorm setting). You're bound to find people that you don't get along with. It happens anywhere. BUT, if you stick to your work and dedicate your self to the training you'll have a smooth sailing.

Best decision to launch my career

Current Employee - Java Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The training they've given me is top tier quality and well above what my University has provided me in terms of real-world development. Not only were technical expertise taught, but life lessons and advice to excel in my career. I was run through a GAUNTLET of preparation and practice for handling common technical/professional situations and given the right mindset to achieve what I want in this field.

Communication issues seem to turn a few people away - but I personally saw it as college graduates who are just too used to being spoon fed all the answers (which is extremely true with our generation) and not asking questions - which they always answer directly when you ask.

Compensation is very straight forward and rewarding. I really like how there is no dancing around the subject and they tell you what opportunities you have to advance your compensation each year.

I was promised that if I put in the work and really show a passion for development that they could get me my next job - and they delivered.

Cons

Benefit plans are not the greatest to be honest. That would be my only gripe.

Keep the employee's a little more informed about what is currently happening in the company - they will make less negative assumptions that just aren't true.

Good opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Java/J2EE Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Java/J2EE Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Multivision (Virginia) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training and then placed on a project to work.

Cons

Nothing really that I can think of.

Front-end is pretty, but the back-end has a few runtime errors

I worked at Multivision (Virginia)

Pros

Knowledgable trainers that will help along the way
    Weekly interviews to prep for real ones

Cons

Compensation is a joke (9:30 - 5 + 5 days a week + weekend assignments = $150.00/week
    Training is rushed and if they have a feeling you won't work out in their minds they let you go no questions asked

Multivision (Virginia) Photos