Multnomah County

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

xx

Prosgood pay and benefits.. work - life balance is great

Consvery clicky. management has a lot to be desired

Success depends on your own self-motivation

Research Analyst III (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros- Benefits: annual TriMet pass, PERS, located downtown
    -Training: lots of leadership training available
    - Culture: some people are very passionate about public health/making a difference, strong emphasis on equity.

Cons- Pace is slow because people tend to be process-oriented;
    - Lack of transparency among leadership;
    - Agency is slow at adopting changes, especially systems changes-- therefore, skills may suffer the longer you stay here.

Pleasantly surprised. Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsI joined Multnomah County from the private sector and was a little worried because of the "government worker" stereotype. I have been pleasantly surprised and am finding things move a lot faster and it is easier to get things done than in several of the companies I have worked for.
    Here are some pros:
    Benefits (of course)
    Great managers who are open and trust their employees expertise. Positive.
    Genuine focus on diversity, I feel like I can be myself and it is great working with open minded people of all ethnicities, national origins, ages, etc
    Open to new ideas and can actually push them through, not nearly the bureaucracy I expected
    The work is very interesting. I'm constantly challenged.

ConsWhile most of the people I work with are energetic and talented, there are a handful that seem a bit complacent and unwilling to learn new skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more focus on process improvement across departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, great place to live

Project Manager (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsBenefits, salary, flexibility, opportunities to expand experience and change positions. Health benefits very good, especially when the costs are compared to many other employers. Employees are encouraged to learn new skills and move into higher level positions.

ConsManagers could be better about supporting employees and giving direction when requested. Middle and upper management could be more responsive.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee recognition could be improved.

Good, happy with position

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe pay is comparable and the benefits are really good.

ConsManagement is secretive and it's hard to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo more testing for promotion...performance based promotion benefits the agency more.

It's a government job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Portland, OR

ProsAs with most government jobs, the benefits are very good. Medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick are better than average. There is no cap on accruing sick time, and vacation time caps are relatively high.

ConsHeavy silo mentality between departments, and even workgroups within the same department. Working for elected officials means that there will be fundamental shifts in priority, philosophy and expectations every few years. Work there long enough and you'll see all the same trends (and mistakes) committed over and over.

Worked for Multnomah County? Contribute to the Community!