Munger Tolles & Olson Reviews

1. Intellectual law firm

Current Employee - Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Munger Tolles & Olson full-time

Pros

You get client interaction (phone and email) and work closely with partners. A lot more control than other firms provide in terms of hours and assignments!

Cons

Staff support is not even always available, and when it is available, you can expect mistakes... making life tough for associates.

Advice to Management

Provide more of a focus on client development. It is difficult to build one's practice when there is not much support in terms of reaching out to clients and taking clients out.

2. Staff morale is very low

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Munger Tolles & Olson

Pros

High pay for staff. Most staff is pleasant. Attorneys are very smart.

Cons

Staff employees are afraid of management and it creates a sad work enviornment. Lots of whispering and fear. Not a fun place to work at all.

Advice to Management

You need to reevaluate your management decisions in your San Francisco office or you will continue with high turnover.

3. Significant responsibility. High Profile Legal Work.

I have been working at Munger Tolles & Olson

Pros

Significant responsibility. High profile legal work. Amazing and interesting colleagues.

Cons

Not very social environment. But it's not bad.

Advice to Management

Have smaller and more frequent mingling events.

5. Excellent people, atmosphere, and work environment.

Former Contractor - Japanese Document Reviewer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Japanese Document Reviewer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Munger Tolles & Olson as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They gave a lot of autonomy to accomplish the work they assigned and were flexible with work schedule. Even partners in the firm were accessible and responsive to questions. I would work there again in a heartbeat.

Cons

The cubicles, which are really the bane of every office job, allowed a little too much information to be shared from co-workers telephone conversations.

Advice to Management

None. Please continue to treat your temporary workers with the appreciation and respect I received.

6. My department, there are too many people trying to be the boss.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Munger Tolles & Olson

Pros

People are pleasant, good benefit's annual bonus. Long-standing employees.

Cons

It seem that promotions are not based purely on performance. Some People are always observing you. Not for the good. In certain area's there are a lot of insignificant issues. I've noticed how I do great on review's. Since my work habits are fine, they are looking for other petty things to address. Just to have something to say. This being the middle management and supervisors. A Control drawback.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to middle management and supervisors. Some get away with so much and not be held accountable. Be more open for staff to have an outlet for communication

7. Good, but associate bonuses need to continue to catch up to market in order to retain

Current Employee - Attorney, 4th-Year in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Attorney, 4th-Year in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Munger Tolles & Olson

Pros

Beyond the obvious (great attorneys, great work), the firm has an open management culture and runs by commitees that any attorney can sit in on. It is a vastly more open place than the downstairs neighbors, for example.

Cons

Associate bonuses are anemic and lead to disgrunteld associates in the winter. Fixing them will increase retention and happiness --- especially in good years.

Advice to Management

Continue the culture of openness, but fix associate bonuses which seem out of line with the firm's profitability and the market. It would be nice to have a better medical plan, but we understand the underlying issue.

8. Wonderful top notch elite law firm

I have been working at Munger Tolles & Olson

Pros

Smart people, high quality work, strong financial position as a firm

Cons

Lawyers work very hard; very high expectations for excellence

9. Neutral

I worked at Munger Tolles & Olson

Pros

A great opportunity to work on some really complex and high-profile deals. MTO also has a lot of really smart individuals who have excelled in their academic and personal lives. This makes for an intellectually challenging learning environment with a steep learning curve. Because the firm is smaller than most, there is a lot of responsibility early on and the opportunity to work on aspects of a project that actually matters.

Cons

There was a feeling that you are always being watched. It did not always seem that promotions were based purely on performance. There didn't always seem to be enough direction or a clear statement of expectations.

Advice to Management

I don't think I had enough experience with management to answer this. However, do feel that management did a good job of trying to ensure that all employees, including support staff felt needed and respected.

RSS Feed </> Embed