Munger Tolles & Olson

Munger Tolles & Olson Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark B. Helm

Significant responsibility. High Profile Legal Work.

ProsSignificant responsibility. High profile legal work. Amazing and interesting colleagues.

ConsNot very social environment. But it's not bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave smaller and more frequent mingling events.

Excellent people, atmosphere, and work environment.

Japanese Document Reviewer (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThey gave a lot of autonomy to accomplish the work they assigned and were flexible with work schedule. Even partners in the firm were accessible and responsive to questions. I would work there again in a heartbeat.

ConsThe cubicles, which are really the bane of every office job, allowed a little too much information to be shared from co-workers telephone conversations.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. Please continue to treat your temporary workers with the appreciation and respect I received.

My department, there are too many people trying to be the boss.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPeople are pleasant, good benefit's annual bonus. Long-standing employees.

ConsIt seem that promotions are not based purely on performance. Some People are always observing you. Not for the good. In certain area's there are a lot of insignificant issues. I've noticed how I do great on review's. Since my work habits are fine, they are looking for other petty things to address. Just to have something to say. This being the middle management and supervisors. A Control drawback.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to middle management and supervisors. Some get away with so much and not be held accountable. Be more open for staff to have an outlet for communication

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good, but associate bonuses need to continue to catch up to market in order to retain

Attorney, 4th-Year (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsBeyond the obvious (great attorneys, great work), the firm has an open management culture and runs by commitees that any attorney can sit in on. It is a vastly more open place than the downstairs neighbors, for example.

ConsAssociate bonuses are anemic and lead to disgrunteld associates in the winter. Fixing them will increase retention and happiness --- especially in good years.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the culture of openness, but fix associate bonuses which seem out of line with the firm's profitability and the market. It would be nice to have a better medical plan, but we understand the underlying issue.

Wonderful top notch elite law firm

ProsSmart people, high quality work, strong financial position as a firm

ConsLawyers work very hard; very high expectations for excellence

Neutral

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great opportunity to work on some really complex and high-profile deals. MTO also has a lot of really smart individuals who have excelled in their academic and personal lives. This makes for an intellectually challenging learning environment with a steep learning curve. Because the firm is smaller than most, there is a lot of responsibility early on and the opportunity to work on aspects of a project that actually matters.

ConsThere was a feeling that you are always being watched. It did not always seem that promotions were based purely on performance. There didn't always seem to be enough direction or a clear statement of expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think I had enough experience with management to answer this. However, do feel that management did a good job of trying to ensure that all employees, including support staff felt needed and respected.

Worked for Munger Tolles & Olson? Contribute to the Community!