Munich American Reviews

Michael DeKoning

1. Actuarial Associate at MARC

Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Actuarial Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Munich American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company. Very relaxed company in general if you avoid certain crazy people, but there aren't too many of those. The CEO has a good heart and you can see it at the quarterly meetings. There doesn't seem to be too much pressure to work overtime for most people. There is an actuarial rotation program that's very good (you have a rotation every 2 years for ALL pre-FSA's).

Cons

Can get to be a little too relaxed at times, and I feel that it could be detrimental to industry knowledge if you want to move to another company. IT is pretty much worthless, and they want to restrict access to pretty much everything even though they don't know anything about the day-to-day processes. It also seems that the actuaries are left to do all these workarounds because upper management doesn't want to force upstream users (Admin, Claims, etc.) to learn how to use Excel or computers in general.

Advice to Management

Train people to use computers and please depending on actuaries to do everything. Yes, we can figure it out but we shouldn't always be doing these workarounds when the problem could be fixed up front rather than on the backend.

2. Pay good but culture toxic

Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Munich American full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and time off is better than average.

Cons

Work/life balance leans heavily towards work. Hostile work environment in some departments. Some management allowed to verbally abuse staff due to their results. Low morale

Advice to Management

Management needs to eliminate the toxic culture and remove abusive staff.

3. I loved the collaborative and helpful environment.

Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Munich American as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Highly collaborative culture
    -Coworkers very helpful in training. I felt that I could ask anyone at any level, except the C-suite executives, for help when I needed it.
    -Everyone seemed to have a good grasp of their work
    -Push employee development and advancement

Cons

-Environment did not seem to push Actuarial Exam progress
    -Seemed more concerned with short-term goals than long-term goals, but are transitioning to be more long-term focused.

Advice to Management

Keep working towards prioritizing long-term goals.

5. Good employer with friendly environment

Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - IT Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Munich American as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance for most jobs. Very friendly, considerate employees. Senior management generally listens well and makes a solid effort. Some senior executives (often with low-key titles such as Director) are exceptionally caring and considerate. Employees who go above and beyond receive open recognition. Good benefits.

Cons

Office politics can sometimes be thick with spefici individual managers. Some department heads (specifically those with over-glorified VP and AVP titles) tend to be overly full of themselves and occasionally confrontational. Some departments have a revolving door. Pay could be better

Advice to Management

Senior Management (EVP and CEO) are excellent, caring, considerate people. They can be hard when they need to be, but will listen. They do need to push some of the otherwise capable department heads to be more human with their employees.

6. It's a great company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Munich American

Pros

Everyone is very nice here; hard work does not go unnoticed, and we are praised for a job well done.

Cons

Traffic in Atlanta during rush hour can be pretty bad. Large cities are not for everyone, but if you can get past that, this is a great company.

Advice to Management

Management has done a good job at keeping employees on task, and making us feel like what we do is important.

7. good, but not great

Current Employee - Actuarial
    Current Employee - Actuarial

I have been working at Munich American

Pros

learned a lot, great learning opportunity here. learned a lot with sql, and ms computer skills which is essential really

Cons

the internship would be extened to a full time position at this brand. which is a pity since i worked hard here