Municipality of Anchorage

Add Photos

Mark Begich

Good City to work for

ProsVery beautiful City in the Summer time

ConsCold, long, dark winter hours

Working for the government

Project Manager (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsVery good pay and good benefits.

ConsNo recognition for your work or achievements for doing good. Due to being part of the union there are workers that don't do their jobs and you can't fire them or discipline them due to them being protected by their union.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if they were there more often.Because of union they are not allowed to help you when u are short staffed because they are non-union and are not allowed to do union work.

I've worked for a handful of employers in my life, and this is the only one that's been terrible.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsFor the area, the benefits are good (as one would expect from a governmental employer). The pay is decent for the work that is expected.

ConsThere is zero employee development/training, there is zero involvement from management (I've never even met the mayor or city manager in the three years I've worked here), the HR department that should be setting the example is abusive and unprofessional with an unheard of turnover rate, and all employees (other than executives) are hourly, even if your federal FLSA status should be exempt. I have heard things were much better a couple years ago under the previous mayor.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you need to understand how turnover affects your budget. Once you understand how much turnover is costing you, I would suggest that you review how morale impacts turnover. Then, I hope you will do more to address the lowest morale I have ever seen in my 52 years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As far as governments go, a great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsPredictable as far as salary and benefits, good benefits, optional 80 hours over 9 days instead of 10, union contracts

ConsUnion contracts are sometimes annoying to deal with, and often protect the lazy and unmotivated, depending on where you start in the pay scale, you might top out after only 4-5 years; also, the general nature of government is that sometimes things get a little unstable due to property values and tax receipts; also politics play into what is expected of you sometimes. The mayor I worked under liked to grandstand and puff him self up, while mostly ignoring the folks on the ground doing the work

I love my job.

Refuse Equipment Operator (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThe Muni is a great employer because they have an equal opportunity approach, pay well, and go to more than reasonable lengths to train, support and retain employees. In other words, anyone with proper qualifications will have an equal shot at a job, and once hired, the muni will do everything reasonable to keep from letting that person go.

ConsI suppose you could make an argument that the fairness can work against a motivated, outstanding employee, because I have found that promotions are based almost solely on seniority, regardless of other factors. I've seen much less-motivated individuals promoted over harder working and more dedicated ones just because they started earlier. That's life...

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the quality of work and employee's dedication when considering individuals for promotion.

Worked for Municipality of Anchorage? Contribute to the Community!