Munson Healthcare

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Doug Deck

wonderful co-workers, poor management, Continuing ed offered to only a select few!

I have been working at Munson Healthcare

Pros

My peers are terrific and the only reason I have been there as long as I have.

Cons

Compensation is poor compared to other healthcare facilities ( I know, I've checked) , Equipment is old, falling apart and breaking down. Carpet is old, buckled, odorous, and mis-matched.
    New ideas are encouraged, but ignored when presented.

Advice to Management

Actually, take your employees seriously, truly value what they say. Quit payng lip service and spending money on unnecessary consulting. Use it to better the departments that need it.

very poor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Munson Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

managers from old school ...no policies and procedures

Advice to Management

use current state of the art to teach managers CQI etc.

Might as well work for the government

Current Employee - IT Professional in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Munson Healthcare

Pros

Low stress, good hours, decent cafeteria, one of the only places to work in Traverse City besides a restaurant

Cons

Lots of slackers, hard work often not rewarded, everyone gets the same raise regardless of performance

Advice to Management

Reward the good employees and discipline or fire the slackers! My goodness - I thought this was common sense! Bring back the motivation or watch your best staff leave.

Disfunctional

I have been working at Munson Healthcare

Pros

Most coworkers are easy to work with. Munson does help with continuing education.

Cons

Managers that respect other managers (team leads and project managers) more than technical staff. Some managers openly do not listen to worker input, especially on technical issues. Workers that are openly incompetent. Workers that are in work avoidance mode (spending more energy to keep from doing something than they would just doing their job).

Advice to Management

Reward good workers. Trim the dead wood that is weighing everyone down. Foster a environment where managers actually consider worker input.

Not a bad place to work, but heavy an management.

I have been working at Munson Healthcare

Pros

Like a lot of healthcare IT, it's generally a relaxed atmosphere. The general physical work conditions are pretty good.

Cons

Munson Healthcare is the only large IT shop in the area, and the largest single employer in the area. There's a perception that it gives management power of the employees. I've heard managers talking about blacklisting employee candidates for future positions when they turn down Munson because they can get better pay elsewhere. The joke here, often repeated by management, is "A view of the bay is worth half the pay." Even though the cost of living is as high or higher than other areas where pay is somewhat higher. And nobody can afford any housing with a hint of a view of the bay. Another issue is that management only values management. I've had a director level manager admit that technical people are not respected in the corporate culture. And the most technically advanced people are pushed out of technical work and into management if they want to advance. The IT shop actually created another level of junior managers from their technical staff at a time when management should be getting out of the way of people doing actual work.

Advice to Management

Start valuing the people who do actual work instead of grooming managers.

A View of the Bay, for Half the Pay

I have been working at Munson Healthcare full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Munson is clinically excellent, and has garnered loads of awards to show it. If you work in IT, it is nearly the only large IT employer in Northern Michigan. The benefits are decent, and they support continuing education.

Cons

The IT department is run by a "management club." There were 8 managers and two directors for a department of 110 or so. One of my managers was not only incompetent, but bi-polar. Another blatantly lied to employees' faces. One of the directors, in an open meeting, told the department that "if you don't like it here, there's the door, and we had 400 applicants for the last job, so don't think we'll miss you." Every manager has total veto power over raises and promotions for any staff -- even if the staff doesn't work for them. So if you ticked off one manager once, you will never get a raise or promotion. The "me manager, you little person" mentality was endemic. Managers did not attend the summer picnic/softball game. And, they pay just enough to keep you from quitting, but not enough to actually afford to live within 20 miles of work.

Advice to Management

There's no point in it, they think they're doing just fine...and they value the opinion of no-one.

Not the same as the Hospital!

Former Employee - RN Case Management
    Former Employee - RN Case Management

I worked at Munson Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to reach patients that live in very rural areas and improve their overall health. Dedicated staff that have the desire to always go above and beyond for their patients as well as strong desires to work as a team even when they are manipulated against one another they still have developed good professional relationships.

Cons

The lack of organization within the department as well as the total disconnect from the Munson Hospital organization is a big drawback. The hospital organization is a magnet organization however, do not be deceived the Home Care dept. is not. It also does not follow the basic guidelines for Nursing ethics in the job description or expectations. There are many examples of poor ethical situations that the staff are expected to perform.

Advice to Management

Have the same management for the hospital manage your Home Health dept. The staff in the hospital are happy, you had over 10 nurses leave in a 3 month period within one geographical region and had no visible changes for the better to your management styles. There are some very compassionate and motivated middle managers that you are manipulating into compliance of bad management. Chaos style with hierarchy ladders that are involved with the local sites once a year is the very best example of poor management and lack of leadership I can think of.

RSS Feed </> Embed