Munson Medical Center

3.4

Edwin A. Ness

Intern

I worked at Munson Medical Center

Pros

-Staff was very knowledgeable and patient with students.
    -Made us feel part of the team, very nice feeling right after graduation

Cons

If it wasn't busy, you would literally have nothing to do--which can happen on day shift.
    Some staff are not too thrilled about having students around, sometimes was uncomfortable.

Make sure staff that do not want to teach, don't teach at all or not very often. Often felt threatened for lower appraisal simply because I was new to the position. Other than that, I thought it was a great experience. Most of the staff are great.

Good Ratios, Lousy Pay

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The nurse to patient ratios are better than elsewhere in the state.

Cons

Pay is low compared to elsewhere in the state, it takes way too long to reach the top of the pay scale (the only wage increase is 2-3% each January, it's not guaranteed, and there is no adjustment for inflation), shift differentials are quite low compared to elsewhere, and there is no weekend differential. Upper management does nothing to curtail horrendous management on some of the units. Non-union.

Increase your base pay for RNs, or at least adjust the pay scale so there is a more reasonable increase each year. The shift differentials are too low, and there really should be a weekend differential. Please investigate more thoroughly and FIX what is going on with managers on units with low morale. They're not all bad, but some of the managers are beyond unprofessional, and with the 12 months on a unit requirement, the only way to escape a manager that is making your life miserable is to move and work at a different hospital.

Disgraceful

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Munson Medical Center (more than 10 years)

Pros

Since there are few I suppose you can take comfort in knowing you are working with others whom are way under paid! (Disgraceful)

Cons

Get real munson! Your pay scale is a joke! The cost of living is NOT factored into wages? Poor management in many parts of hospital! Many managers just create policy and are not held accountable.

Get a grip! Stop with the politically correct answers. Your not a top 100 hospital anymore in part because of the way you treat your NURSES! Munson needs a UNION DESPERATELY! However even mentioning the word union can and will make you a target. Munson management has a way of using there policies to get rid of people! They pick and choose whom they will discipline? You can take munson policies and wipe your bottom with them! These are just the facts! The happiest people that work at Minson are figure heads and those making ridiculous amounts of money!
     Nurses tow the line or else! And if Munson gets rid of you (Nurse) they will make sure they do everything in their power to make sure you don't get hired elsewhere! Again, that is a FACT!
     Munson will continue to target staff that speak up or staff that a Manager doesn't personally like. And they do it based on "Management Discretion"?
     Someday and hopefully sooner rather than later there will be a backlash against the way this hospital TRULY treats it's staff. Wake up MMC! The Public is not hearing the ugly truth.
    I know you can only cover up and smooth over for only so long. The truth
    Will bite you in the end eventually!

Great Place to Work

I have been working at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The co-workers and team work on night shift are awesome.

Cons

Pay per hour and raises

Pay your employees more!

The view of the bay is really half the pay...

I worked at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, wonderful culture. The employees really make this company.

Cons

Very low pay. Lowest paying hospital in Michigan.

Monitoring more closely people with access to spend hospital funds. More than a couple times while I was employed there someone had embezzled a large amount of money, leading to raised prices across the health system, which impacted employees.

The only hospital in the area to work

I worked at Munson Medical Center full-time

Pros

Magnet hospital, clinical ladder, tuition reimbursement, great open heart surgery program with an acuity adaptable unit, many nurse led protocols in place, new grad/critical care program, new heart tower/units built in 2008

Cons

Low pay, small town, cliquey, "View of the bay, half the pay", high staff turnover, non-competitive pay because there is no competition in the area. Management in A2 was non-confrontational, also would believe the first person who came to them-lack of professional/managerial judgment

Don't move to work here

Former Employee - Manager in Traverse, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Traverse, MI

I worked at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and the area is nice to raise a family.

Cons

I am less employable than I was when I started. The hospital is behind the times and always over budget. Many leaders have been there to long, and lack vision of the future. They are currently downsizing in order to meet future budget.

The is no advice they world listen to

Great place to work with dedicated employees

Current Employee - Unit Clerk in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Unit Clerk in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management that is willing to work with every employee on the unit when it comes to scheduling, opportunities for advancement, and support to do your job to the best of your abilities.

Cons

Having to work every other weekend and holidays but that is the name of then game.

I have worked here as an RN for 7+ years

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working three days per week.

Cons

The pay for RN's is very low. It takes roughly 30 years to reach the top of the pay scale. The retirement benefits continually get cut and the cost of health insurance continues to increase despite less coverage/benefits. The nurse to patient ratio is poor- I am often put in unsafe patient care assignments. I would not feel comfortable with my family being treated as a patient here. The upper level management continues to recieve bonuses 4x my income, yet our goal this year was to decrease the overall budget by 30%.

Talk to your nurses before making decisions that affect all of us. Think about decreasing or cutting your bonuses so that our wages could be comparative to other hospitals in Michigan. We are currently the lowest paid hospital in Michigan.

Great place to work and serve your community.

Current Employee - Associate Help Desk Specialist in Traverse City, MI
    Current Employee - Associate Help Desk Specialist in Traverse City, MI

I have been working at Munson Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding sense of community among employees. Benefits for FTE is exceptional.

Cons

Pay is low compared to elsewhere in the state, which is low already compared to elsewhere in the country.

Be open and forthcoming about projecting FT and PT jobs being impacted by healthcare reform.