Murphy Oil

Be The First To
Add Photos

Murphy Oil President, CEO, and Director David M. Wood

David M. Wood

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, fun atmosphere, alot of great co workers"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Mostly good people and good pay/benefits"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you are not well liked or disagree with upper management you can kiss your job goodbye"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Limited advancement, no work life balance, poor leadership"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nepotism ruins the Calgary office

Accountant (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMostly good people and good pay/benefits

ConsCalgary Finance department is managed in order to fill positions with people the managers know or previously worked with. Existing employees are suddenly shown the door when friends and family of management are looking for work. Additionally, I witnessed several management members actively take credit for work their employees did and, conversely, blame their employees when things went sideways. I would avoid the Calgary Finance group as if it had the plague.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange Calgary Finance management team, or risk hurting Canadian operations.

So So....upper management really could careless about operations employees.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Nacogdoches, TX

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time for less than a year

ProsI really dont have any.

ConsHorrible pay, lack of accountability, policy confusion you name it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome down from El Dorado Ak and see what managers, asst managers and cashiers go through on a daily basis.

Just walk away.

Cashier (Former Employee)
Winder, GA

I worked at Murphy Oil part-time for less than a year

ProsThey do offer low gas prices.

ConsPoor working conditions. Have to work at night alone and perform outside duties without proper lighting or security. Have to wait until completely vacated to run to the outside bathroom and eat lunch between customers. Didn't even have a chair to sit while working the kiosk.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't legally have employees working without any breaks, especially lunch.

Most frustrating job I ever had

Cashier (Former Employee)
Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Murphy Oil part-time for less than a year

ProsNone a job to pay bills barely

Consvery unorganized and have no clue about day to day scheduling and training

Advice to Senior Managementbe less confusing training and communication needs improvement and think I would of been a loyal employee if I was trained properly and had been able to have hours that were sensible to making a living

Can't wait to leave. Do not work here!

Production Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time

ProsThe pay is better than average. There are some people that are pleasant to work with. That's about where the pros stop.

ConsI'll start with the basics. Terrible benefits/ health insurance. Add to that an unprofessional executive management staff which trickles down to the group managers. On top of that you have office politics. If you are not well liked or disagree with upper management you can kiss your job goodbye. I have seen many people take "early retirement" or moved to different departments just because they disagreed or were not liked by the right person and were scapegoats for unfortunate events. Terrible!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a top down driven company. There must be better management. What is in place is not working and ineffective.

Awful. If I could give 0 stars, I would.

El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time

ProsOppurtunity to meet new people.

ConsTerrible management. One company, but different departments are treated very differently. Job is very very stressful and not worth the pay! The hours are AWFUL. Not enough employees, seniority does not mean much, and there is constant unfair treatment. They tend to bring in inexperienced management to try to "implement" things, but this fails. There is a lack of communication and also they have their "picks and chooses". If you're not one of them, don't expect to be treated the same. People are quick to say, "yes I want to work for Murphy", but you will be surprised what's on the other side of those doors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring inexperienced management. Put more time into choosing someone better fit for a job. We had a manager who knew absolutely nothing about her own department. Take the time to actually hear your employees. There is no sense in having HR meetings for change, only to have enployees rant, but you don't actually listen to a word they say. All I can say is BETTER MANAGEMENT. I can not stress that enough or your turn over will continue to get worse.

Be Careful for unfairness, discrimination, deceit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Murphy Oil

ProsFortune 100 company in the US

ConsHR does not help you if you are in a bind
deceit
be careful

Advice to Senior Managementknow what is going on in the company...in the rural communities...don't take your manager's word..they could be lying...covering up things to get ahead, eliminating paper trails...be aware...don't be deceived...check information...question it...

Very Frustrating Place To Work

El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe salary is good, benefits "look good" on paper

ConsNo common sense, idiotic rules, no opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOf all the places I have worked, Murphy Oil is the most frustrating. I detect no common sense in the managers of this company. I have tried to suggest some things that will be of great help to everyone, but it was nothing more than an exercise in futility. I was basically told that there will be absolutely no change in the way things are done regardless of how beneficial it would be. It is run like a communist country. Employees should just keep their heads down and keeps their mouths shut. Just fill a seat for "X" amount of hours per day and that's it. There is no sense of contributing to the success of the company. Employees are just tools to be used and abused.

The salary and some of the benefits are good, because they know it is very difficult to attract good people to southern AR. But, trying to take the allotted vacation time is frustrating as well. Why do they offer so many weeks when they frown on you when you actually try to use any of them? This company proves that money should never be the sole factor in considering whether to take a job. I let that happen to me and now I am stuck here and can't escape....

I would not work there again for any reason.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Dalton, GA

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTHERE WERE ABSOLUTELY NO PROS.

ConsThey treat their people horrible. They don't care about anything but their bottom line.

horrible company to work for

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil

Prosgreat pay...great pay and that's it nothing is really a pro about this company..except for the managers meeting in florida in which they can save that money and put it in our pay checks.

Consdm's are horrible and also area managers. they have their favorites and that's who they role with. training is horrible esp for managers. the training is horrible due to the workload, therefore, the cmt wants a break so they can get rest. they overload you with work that cannot get done all in one day. they are company with high turnover of employees and they need to take an indepth look at that. i think the dm's need to work in the stores instead of from home. they need to have a home store where their office is based out of so they can see what is exactly going on in these stores. i think the executives need to the same so they can see what changes need to be made to this company. they worked us to death with all maineinance issues, however cut our commissions in half. they don't promote very well. dm's are messy like little girls. they tell your business to everyone and anybody when it should be confidential. the pay rate for cashiers for the work they do is horrible. murphy needs a complete turn around with staff it doesn't seem like it's getting any better and i was with the company for 3 yrs. very stressful and can cause a lot of health problems. no lunch breaks due to the way the company is set up which is not good for a stressful environment and especially if you have to work 2 shifts a day if you're shorthanded. and yes, upper management has no rush of help if you're shorthanded they don't try to help you out they just leave you out there to work. if you fire an employee upper management goes behind your back and places the employee at another store which makes it hard for you to manage your store because of what upper management did for the other employee. makes it hard for you to discipline your store. also, upper management cares more about the cashier than they do the manager. they will give the cashier more chances but will come in and straight fire a manager, who isn't stealing or anything but will let a cashier rob you and send him or her to work for an other manager. something is truely wrong with this picture.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to grow up they are very immature and messy. in other words murphy needs professionalism not unprofessionalism. i have never seen such until i got with this company. they need to become more understanding of your situation and if they can't then these people of upper management need to come run the stores for about a month or so to see how we feel. this company could be good but it needs a lot of work...and i mean a lot of work....

Worked for Murphy Oil? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Murphy Oil reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Murphy Oil CEO David M. Wood. All 74 reviews posted anonymously by Murphy Oil employees.