Murphy Oil

2.9

Murphy Oil President & CEO Roger W. Jenkins
Roger W. Jenkins
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good benefits, fun atmosphere, alot of great co workers (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, decent lodging, 3 meals a day provided by cooks (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are not well liked or disagree with upper management you can kiss your job goodbye (in 8 reviews)

• Limited advancement, no work life balance, poor leadership (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible

Current Employee - District Manager  in  El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - District Manager in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

They only have their benefits going for them.

Cons

Limited advancement, no work life balance, poor leadership

People are your #1 resource.

Every unhealthy item imaginable

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

Decent wage, decent employees that is all.

Cons

Gas, Cigs, Snuff, Candy, Trash

Try creating a better community.

What was I thinking

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

You get paid and you get uniforms

Cons

You cover for illness cant give time to other workers
    No hours for employees
    It's like Aldi's
    Endless inventory counts

If you have to count every cigarette every night, that means the company can't or won't trust it's Management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits, good chance for a lifetime career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Great benefits, especially retirement. Upward mobility is available for those willing to work. Compassionate company when personal issues occur. Has an employee funded foundation to receive grants when disasters occur. Company matches charitable donations up to $12,500 per employee per year. If you live in El Dorado the company funds "The El Dorado Promise", which is a fund of $50 million that pays all students graduating from El Dorado Public School scholarship assistance to go to higher education at an accredited school.

Cons

Balance between work and non-work activity. Dealing with the public (at the gas stations). Long hours. Silo activities within different groups.

Strategic planning needs to be a process that is fully embraced, both at upper and middle management levels, new activities need to be vetted properly to ensure that the overall goals of the organization are promoted and accomplished.

I'm an honest person with a dishonest Company.

Current Employee - District Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Up front, all is painted with rose colored glasses. Over time, a very short time, one asks where all the color went. Salary and insurance are good, however, comes with a tremendous personal price.

Cons

There is no balance between business and personal time.
    Division Manager is abusive. He was removed once for this behavior, however, it seems that those in Home Office want or totally ignore what he is doing.
    The XO of 3 years now and his inner circle of followers have and continue to destroy moral. It is not completely gone, however, is certainly circulating the drain.
    No free thought allowed. It's do as I say or hit the road. I feel useless!!!
    The people in Home Office do not realize they are their own worst enemy.
    Most all long term, 8+ year people, who really built this company, have been either terminated for the smallest of reasons or if nothing was there, their position was eliminated and the offer they were made to continue was knowingly set up to be declined or to force their resignation. There are very, very few seasoned people left. I guess JG thinks they are a threat??
    This Company will use one up, then toss one aside like garbage. I am looking as I am a 9 year person and the heat has been turned in my direction.

Hopefully the NEW president will see the damage that has been done, trust no-one in Home Office for advice as they are the problem and if possible make right, very wrong decisions. He needs to clean up the kitchen, so to speak.

Exciting and exhausting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, TX

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

The interaction with the public. Working at one of the kiosks, everyday it is something different., The contest we are engaged with all other stores is always fun to do. Seeing upper management getting involved is always interesting. It lets us know we all are working for the same goal.

Cons

Not getting recognized for accomplishments achieved. Favortism out in the field,

Very fun enviroment and alot of room to grow in the business.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  DeRidder, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in DeRidder, LA

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Murphy Oil has all sorts of offers for its employee's. The insurance is good. They have stock purchase plans and 401k plans also to help you if you decide to go back to school. The people they have choose to work for them are all very friendly.

Cons

There is realy only one thing i can think of and that would be dealing with an angry customer,other than that nothing.

You guys do it all. just know people appreciate the things you do and your cashiers enjoy learning the things you've tought them.

its a great job.

Current Employee - Head Cashier  in  Houma, LA
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Houma, LA

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

the pay. i like that my mgr works with me on my hr.

Cons

working weenends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! working weekends, oh and working weekends

work with your cashiers. tell them when they r doing a good job! and dont make them do jobs you wouldent do yourself! like take out the trash. even leaders need to do that stuff sometimes.

There are some things that you are held responsible for that you have no control over!

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Ripley, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ripley, TN

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

the pay is not bad. The people are friendly. Its easy to get a job.

Cons

you are responsible for drive offs in which you have no control over, pumps are not prepay, but if a drive off happens it is counted as a cash shortage for your drawer. There is alot of favortism (in my store). Hours available to schedule employees are very limited & leaves very little room for all employees to get adequate hours. You have to work outside in all weather conditions for about 50% or more of your shift, especially if you work 3rd shift! They expect 1 person to handle the responsiblities of several peoples worth.

I think there should be better dividing of available labor hours. I don't think any one person (per department, i.e. cashiers) should get 40 hours if there are 3 other cashiers who also need hours & you have to wind up scheduling 2 people for less than 12 hours per week. When it comes to this everyone should have as close to equal hours as possible. but when one person has 40 one has 28 one has 6 & one has 7 i think this is a bit ridiculous! I also think that the drive offs should be Murphy fault. not the cashier on duty. Its Murphy choice to not make pre pay pumps so why should we be held accountable for a drive off that happens when we are busy & cant even breathe let alone watch 8 or more pumps at one time.

The worst place I have ever worked

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Honestly I appreciate the fact that I have a job,but thats all.No other pros here.Not a good company at all.

Cons

This has got to be the worst place I have ever worked in my 30+ years of employment. They do not care about the employees at all.You have one cashier working and 100 things for that cashier to do in addition to waiting on customers.Then there are glitches in the system or something. Money just disappears and even though everything is on video the cashier is made to pay cash shortages over $25.00 back or be terminated.Every cashier in my store has been made to pay money back or lose their job. I do not understand that concept at all. The promotional opportunities is a big joke as well.Was told I was being promoted and then they gave it to someone else yet still continue to tell me I am being promoted.Its no wonder this company has such a high turnover.Theres too much dishonesty here.I am on my way out the door as quick as I can.Honestly,I cant afford to work there if I have to keep paying back money all the time....especially money I haven't taken.Something is just fishy about that to me.

You need to revise your policies and run thorough checks on your systems in every store.Cashiers should not be written up and terminated due to circumstances beyond their control.You need to stop acting like customers are so honest .Not all,but several are very dishonest and with the economy as bad as it is,well,its just not always the cashiers fault and you should stop blaming and punishing them.If there is not glitches in your system,then there is some funny business going on somewhere.

Worked for Murphy Oil? Contribute to the Community!