Murphy Oil

Updated October 15, 2014

Murphy Oil President & CEO Roger W. Jenkins
Roger W. Jenkins
1 Rating

Pros
  • Good competitive environment and good pay and compensation (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, fun atmosphere, alot of great co workers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of feedback and poor work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• If you are not well liked or disagree with upper management you can kiss your job goodbye (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

great pay...great pay and that's it nothing is really a pro about this company..except for the managers meeting in florida in which they can save that money and put it in our pay checks.

Cons

dm's are horrible and also area managers. they have their favorites and that's who they role with. training is horrible esp for managers. the training is horrible due to the workload, therefore, the cmt wants a break so they can get rest. they overload you with work that cannot get done all in one day. they are company with high turnover of employees and they need to take an indepth look at that. i think the dm's need to work in the stores instead of from home. they need to have a home store where their office is based out of so they can see what is exactly going on in these stores. i think the executives need to the same so they can see what changes need to be made to this company. they worked us to death with all maineinance issues, however cut our commissions in half. they don't promote very well. dm's are messy like little girls. they tell your business to everyone and anybody when it should be confidential. the pay rate for cashiers for the work they do is horrible. murphy needs a complete turn around with staff it doesn't seem like it's getting any better and i was with the company for 3 yrs. very stressful and can cause a lot of health problems. no lunch breaks due to the way the company is set up which is not good for a stressful environment and especially if you have to work 2 shifts a day if you're shorthanded. and yes, upper management has no rush of help if you're shorthanded they don't try to help you out they just leave you out there to work. if you fire an employee upper management goes behind your back and places the employee at another store which makes it hard for you to manage your store because of what upper management did for the other employee. makes it hard for you to discipline your store. also, upper management cares more about the cashier than they do the manager. they will give the cashier more chances but will come in and straight fire a manager, who isn't stealing or anything but will let a cashier rob you and send him or her to work for an other manager. something is truely wrong with this picture.

management needs to grow up they are very immature and messy. in other words murphy needs professionalism not unprofessionalism. i have never seen such until i got with this company. they need to become more understanding of your situation and if they can't then these people of upper management need to come run the stores for about a month or so to see how we feel. this company could be good but it needs a lot of work...and i mean a lot of work....

a mediocre job with decent pay

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

the pay is outstanding, commission is great too! It is a very easy and straight forward job. Nothing was too complicated!

Cons

Different managers do things differently, nothing is the same at any gas station. Management finds anything and everything to blame on you. Usually if a manager screws up, its your fault!

Pick up the slack! some of the management is lazy! They expect the hourly people to do more work and still get out on time.

Horrible

Current Employee - District Manager in El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - District Manager in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

They only have their benefits going for them.

Cons

Limited advancement, no work life balance, poor leadership

People are your #1 resource.

Every unhealthy item imaginable

Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

Decent wage, decent employees that is all.

Cons

Gas, Cigs, Snuff, Candy, Trash

Try creating a better community.

What was I thinking

Former Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

You get paid and you get uniforms

Cons

You cover for illness cant give time to other workers
    No hours for employees
    It's like Aldi's
    Endless inventory counts

If you have to count every cigarette every night, that means the company can't or won't trust it's Management

Great Benefits, good chance for a lifetime career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Great benefits, especially retirement. Upward mobility is available for those willing to work. Compassionate company when personal issues occur. Has an employee funded foundation to receive grants when disasters occur. Company matches charitable donations up to $12,500 per employee per year. If you live in El Dorado the company funds "The El Dorado Promise", which is a fund of $50 million that pays all students graduating from El Dorado Public School scholarship assistance to go to higher education at an accredited school.

Cons

Balance between work and non-work activity. Dealing with the public (at the gas stations). Long hours. Silo activities within different groups.

Strategic planning needs to be a process that is fully embraced, both at upper and middle management levels, new activities need to be vetted properly to ensure that the overall goals of the organization are promoted and accomplished.

I'm an honest person with a dishonest Company.

Current Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Up front, all is painted with rose colored glasses. Over time, a very short time, one asks where all the color went. Salary and insurance are good, however, comes with a tremendous personal price.

Cons

There is no balance between business and personal time.
    Division Manager is abusive. He was removed once for this behavior, however, it seems that those in Home Office want or totally ignore what he is doing.
    The XO of 3 years now and his inner circle of followers have and continue to destroy moral. It is not completely gone, however, is certainly circulating the drain.
    No free thought allowed. It's do as I say or hit the road. I feel useless!!!
    The people in Home Office do not realize they are their own worst enemy.
    Most all long term, 8+ year people, who really built this company, have been either terminated for the smallest of reasons or if nothing was there, their position was eliminated and the offer they were made to continue was knowingly set up to be declined or to force their resignation. There are very, very few seasoned people left. I guess JG thinks they are a threat??
    This Company will use one up, then toss one aside like garbage. I am looking as I am a 9 year person and the heat has been turned in my direction.

Hopefully the NEW president will see the damage that has been done, trust no-one in Home Office for advice as they are the problem and if possible make right, very wrong decisions. He needs to clean up the kitchen, so to speak.

Exciting and exhausting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, TX

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

The interaction with the public. Working at one of the kiosks, everyday it is something different., The contest we are engaged with all other stores is always fun to do. Seeing upper management getting involved is always interesting. It lets us know we all are working for the same goal.

Cons

Not getting recognized for accomplishments achieved. Favortism out in the field,

Very fun enviroment and alot of room to grow in the business.

Current Employee - Cashier in DeRidder, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier in DeRidder, LA

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

Murphy Oil has all sorts of offers for its employee's. The insurance is good. They have stock purchase plans and 401k plans also to help you if you decide to go back to school. The people they have choose to work for them are all very friendly.

Cons

There is realy only one thing i can think of and that would be dealing with an angry customer,other than that nothing.

You guys do it all. just know people appreciate the things you do and your cashiers enjoy learning the things you've tought them.

There are some things that you are held responsible for that you have no control over!

Current Employee - Cashier in Ripley, TN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Ripley, TN

I have been working at Murphy Oil

Pros

the pay is not bad. The people are friendly. Its easy to get a job.

Cons

you are responsible for drive offs in which you have no control over, pumps are not prepay, but if a drive off happens it is counted as a cash shortage for your drawer. There is alot of favortism (in my store). Hours available to schedule employees are very limited & leaves very little room for all employees to get adequate hours. You have to work outside in all weather conditions for about 50% or more of your shift, especially if you work 3rd shift! They expect 1 person to handle the responsiblities of several peoples worth.

I think there should be better dividing of available labor hours. I don't think any one person (per department, i.e. cashiers) should get 40 hours if there are 3 other cashiers who also need hours & you have to wind up scheduling 2 people for less than 12 hours per week. When it comes to this everyone should have as close to equal hours as possible. but when one person has 40 one has 28 one has 6 & one has 7 i think this is a bit ridiculous! I also think that the drive offs should be Murphy fault. not the cashier on duty. Its Murphy choice to not make pre pay pumps so why should we be held accountable for a drive off that happens when we are busy & cant even breathe let alone watch 8 or more pumps at one time.