Murphy Oil

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Murphy Oil President & CEO Roger W. Jenkins

Roger W. Jenkins

Pros
  • Good benefits, fun atmosphere, alot of great co workers (in 5 reviews)

• Good pay, decent lodging, 3 meals a day provided by cooks (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • If you are not well liked or disagree with upper management you can kiss your job goodbye (in 8 reviews)

• Limited advancement, no work life balance, poor leadership (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Exciting and exhausting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Jacksonville, TX

ProsThe interaction with the public. Working at one of the kiosks, everyday it is something different., The contest we are engaged with all other stores is always fun to do. Seeing upper management getting involved is always interesting. It lets us know we all are working for the same goal.

ConsNot getting recognized for accomplishments achieved. Favortism out in the field,

I'm an honest person with a dishonest Company.

District Manager (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsUp front, all is painted with rose colored glasses. Over time, a very short time, one asks where all the color went. Salary and insurance are good, however, comes with a tremendous personal price.

ConsThere is no balance between business and personal time.
    Division Manager is abusive. He was removed once for this behavior, however, it seems that those in Home Office want or totally ignore what he is doing.
    The XO of 3 years now and his inner circle of followers have and continue to destroy moral. It is not completely gone, however, is certainly circulating the drain.
    No free thought allowed. It's do as I say or hit the road. I feel useless!!!
    The people in Home Office do not realize they are their own worst enemy.
    Most all long term, 8+ year people, who really built this company, have been either terminated for the smallest of reasons or if nothing was there, their position was eliminated and the offer they were made to continue was knowingly set up to be declined or to force their resignation. There are very, very few seasoned people left. I guess JG thinks they are a threat??
    This Company will use one up, then toss one aside like garbage. I am looking as I am a 9 year person and the heat has been turned in my direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully the NEW president will see the damage that has been done, trust no-one in Home Office for advice as they are the problem and if possible make right, very wrong decisions. He needs to clean up the kitchen, so to speak.

Very fun enviroment and alot of room to grow in the business.

Cashier (Current Employee) DeRidder, LA

ProsMurphy Oil has all sorts of offers for its employee's. The insurance is good. They have stock purchase plans and 401k plans also to help you if you decide to go back to school. The people they have choose to work for them are all very friendly.

ConsThere is realy only one thing i can think of and that would be dealing with an angry customer,other than that nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys do it all. just know people appreciate the things you do and your cashiers enjoy learning the things you've tought them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are some things that you are held responsible for that you have no control over!

Cashier (Current Employee) Ripley, TN

Prosthe pay is not bad. The people are friendly. Its easy to get a job.

Consyou are responsible for drive offs in which you have no control over, pumps are not prepay, but if a drive off happens it is counted as a cash shortage for your drawer. There is alot of favortism (in my store). Hours available to schedule employees are very limited & leaves very little room for all employees to get adequate hours. You have to work outside in all weather conditions for about 50% or more of your shift, especially if you work 3rd shift! They expect 1 person to handle the responsiblities of several peoples worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think there should be better dividing of available labor hours. I don't think any one person (per department, i.e. cashiers) should get 40 hours if there are 3 other cashiers who also need hours & you have to wind up scheduling 2 people for less than 12 hours per week. When it comes to this everyone should have as close to equal hours as possible. but when one person has 40 one has 28 one has 6 & one has 7 i think this is a bit ridiculous! I also think that the drive offs should be Murphy fault. not the cashier on duty. Its Murphy choice to not make pre pay pumps so why should we be held accountable for a drive off that happens when we are busy & cant even breathe let alone watch 8 or more pumps at one time.

its a great job.

Head Cashier (Current Employee) Houma, LA

Prosthe pay. i like that my mgr works with me on my hr.

Consworking weenends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! working weekends, oh and working weekends

Advice to Senior Managementwork with your cashiers. tell them when they r doing a good job! and dont make them do jobs you wouldent do yourself! like take out the trash. even leaders need to do that stuff sometimes.

The worst place I have ever worked

Cashier (Current Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsHonestly I appreciate the fact that I have a job,but thats all.No other pros here.Not a good company at all.

ConsThis has got to be the worst place I have ever worked in my 30+ years of employment. They do not care about the employees at all.You have one cashier working and 100 things for that cashier to do in addition to waiting on customers.Then there are glitches in the system or something. Money just disappears and even though everything is on video the cashier is made to pay cash shortages over $25.00 back or be terminated.Every cashier in my store has been made to pay money back or lose their job. I do not understand that concept at all. The promotional opportunities is a big joke as well.Was told I was being promoted and then they gave it to someone else yet still continue to tell me I am being promoted.Its no wonder this company has such a high turnover.Theres too much dishonesty here.I am on my way out the door as quick as I can.Honestly,I cant afford to work there if I have to keep paying back money all the time....especially money I haven't taken.Something is just fishy about that to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to revise your policies and run thorough checks on your systems in every store.Cashiers should not be written up and terminated due to circumstances beyond their control.You need to stop acting like customers are so honest .Not all,but several are very dishonest and with the economy as bad as it is,well,its just not always the cashiers fault and you should stop blaming and punishing them.If there is not glitches in your system,then there is some funny business going on somewhere.

not bad

District Manager (Current Employee) Glasgow, KY

Prosthe pay is good, the people are good, and it is overall a good job.. good money, a lot of free time

Constrying to keep up with so many stores at once, and dealing with employees who sometimes do not want to work

Advice to Senior Managementkeep trucking, it is a good company and people are fun to work with, keep up with your stores and hire good people

Work at your own risk

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) McAllen, TX

ProsThe hourly pay is a little better then othe places.

ConsManagement offers no training even thought they promise to train you. Shifts are difficult because only one cashier on duty to do 10 things at once and hard to do when the line of upset customers are waiting to be attended to and only one person on duty. Most of the time the pumps do not work and the Murphy cards are always a hassle half the time they do not work alot of customer complaints. Registers are faulty they cut off during transactions and computers are usually down most of the time. When errors occur because of faulty equipment the cashier is blamed and then fired without consideration.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to do the training for employees training that is promised when you are hired instead of being more interested in their bonuses. More hours for employees so that at least we can make a decent paycheck , they tend to cut hours on their whim. Less hours for employees more bonus money for management.

It's not the best place to work, but it's okay

Cashier (Former Employee) Macon, GA

ProsThe pay is above minimum wage. Managers work around your schedule if you are in school or if you're working more than one job. There is a tuition reimbursement program for college students. The managers and coworkers are friendly and easy to work with. Overall the job is fairly easy, if you can handle a fast-paced environment. They usually have the cheapest gas in the city.

ConsPoor training. Due to the store being constantly filled with customers, no lunch break is given/allowed. The equipment doesn't work properly, which causes a lot of errors to be made; cashiers are usually blamed for these errors instead of the faulty equipment. There is a very high turn-over rate because: 1) employees quit due to the work environment being below satisfaction or 2) employees are fired for things out of their control. Upper management is more concerned about their bonuses than their employees. Due to the high turn over rate, there is usually only one cashier in the store and he/she is expected to man the entire store alone without a manager (or assistant manager) present. That one cashier is expected to do 10 things at a time; it's unrealistic because the gas station is crowded with customers 24/7.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more concerned about the safety of your employees. Equipment should be inspected and/or upgraded to make sure employees are able to accurately serve customers. Communicate with store managers and cashiers to find out what can be done to improve customer service. Commend people for a job well done. Remember that if your employees aren't happy, your customers won't be happy. How about working a week in a store to see what it takes to run it.

Average Job, Low Pay!

IT Analyst (Former Employee) El Dorado, AR

ProsGreat learning experience for new graduates. Benefits package is reasonable, and above board for the area of the country. Management was very flexible in regards to time-off and the use of vacation time.

ConsSmall town corporate culture. Corporate office located in a very small, economically depressed town. Salary based more on regional averages, not inline with industry averages for similar jobs. Promotions seemed to be based more on tenure and 'who you know', and less on talent and work performance. Management doesn't clearly define work objectives, or project time lines. Zero focus on continuing education initiatives. Training needs are limited to self-study.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring pay scale in line with industry averages. Promotions should be based on performance, and not based on 'who you know."

Worked for Murphy Oil? Contribute to the Community!