Murphy USA
www.murphyusa.com El Dorado, AR 5000+ Employees

Murphy USA Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Andrew Clyde

Pros:
  • "I work with a lot of nice helpful people and the pay is good"
    in 4 reviews
  • "It is fast paced high energy enviorment which I do enjoy"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "NO BREAKS, EXPECT TO SUCK UP TO CUSTOMERS ALL DAY IN ORDER TO PROMOTE THEIR MONTHLY SPECIALS"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Stressful, deal with uneducated people, too much work for one person to handle"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

An okay company

Minden, LA

ProsPaid higher then minimum wage,get a system of regular customers who can make your day, and great contest prizes.

ConsNo breaks, too many inconsistencies with the schedule, no employee discounts, rude customers that the company expects you to kiss up too, management whom are obviously unfit to run a store, and lack of proper training.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a discount for employees

Excellent

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsEasy access to promotion excellent pay.

ConsMy management really did not want to rotate weekends and give me any holidays off.

Great place if you are looking for limited hours

Memphis, TN

ProsVery Flexible schedules, Prize bonuses for exceptional sales of promotion items, Hiring rate is higher than most.

ConsWhile opportunities for advancement are there is can be a game of who you know and how they like you over how well you do your job. Have seen shady actions by Management on shortages, prizes being given to rightful employees and hours worked. the open door policy is not so open from the stand point of anonymous reporting.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe as honest as you expect your employees to be. Work what you let Home Office think you are.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

micro-managed

Store Manager (Former Employee)

Proscustomers are fun, fast paced, lots to do

Consnot enough labor hours, high expectations, no family work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within, increase wages

Hard work goes unrecognized

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsRegular customers make my day. You get paid more than minimum wage.

ConsAssistant managers run the store while Store managers get paid for it. You are promoted because of who you know not what yiu can do. You are not given the chance to show that you can run the store unless a store manager is away, but you dont get paid for standing in as store manager. DM's are rude. When there is a problem its basically a waste of time going to them. Store manages want employees to come into work when they have an emergency. Assistant managers make more at quick Trip. Almost a $10,000 difference which is sad

Advice to Senior ManagementGive people a chance. Seeking better management will bring more employees and keep the employees you have. There's a lot of problems within Murphy USA.

Its Ok

Cashier (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

Prospay, you have regulars that will make your day good

Conshaving to upsell you get in trouble if you don't, rude customers, amount of work not worth pay, very little hours, no breaks and no lunches

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training, care more about your employees

Cashier. Love my job

Van Wert, OH

ProsI love working at my Murphys USA. Everyone that I work with is super friendly and are always there whenever I need help. The customers for the most part are friendly, you do get some that are rude but that's anywhere you work. This is a great job and whenever I'm off for a few days, I miss it and look forward to working again. And that's what I wanted. To wake up and to be happy going to work and so far it's been amazing. And I've been very blessed with this opportunity.

ConsRude customers at times when asking for an ID. No breaks. Having to work alone a lot. Sometimes long hours. Drive off's because of post pay.

Growing Company that continues to look out for its employees as well as its investors.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat insurance, salary, commission program, and many other benefits if you choose to be involved in them. I have no college degree and yet I make more than most of my friends that have degrees I have received a raise every year that I have worked for them, and I have been around for over a decade.
    I know alot of people complain about this job, but it is just that...a job. It's a lot of work, but you only get out of it what you put into it.

ConsI work way too many hours as do most of my counterparts. You say you don't want us working more than 50-55 hours, but then I am a cashier for way over half those hours and don't have time to actually "run" the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look into how you calculate giving labor hours. Some stations just don't sell that much gas, but are still extremely busy with cigarette sales and lottery customers. They need more hours. Other stores sell a ton of gas, but are not selling other items and yet they get a ton of hours.

Current District Manager

District Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI work with a lot of nice helpful people and the pay is good.

ConsDifficult to find good people in our area.

Great corporate fuel supply team.

Fuel Analyst (Former Employee)
    El Dorado, AR

ProsCollaborative environment, free snacks in the break room, great community presence and the entire team is relatively small, allowing for mobility for those who have the skill and motivation to make it happen.

ConsNo discount on gas, long hours can become the norm depending on the time of year, and the company HQ is in El Dorado, AR - a super small town about 2 hours from a decent mall. Small town culture can get in the way, especially for those people who have lived there for their entire lives as opposed to professionals brought in from outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your employees happy with snacks :).

Worked for Murphy USA? Contribute to the Community!

Murphy USA Videos

Murphy USA – Why Work for Us?

About Us Since 1996, Murphy USA has been the place people go to save on the gas that fuels their lives. From the lowest prices on gas to exclusive deals on your family’s favorite snacks and drinks, we’re always going… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Murphy USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Murphy USA CEO Andrew Clyde. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Murphy USA employees.