Murphy and Associates

Updated March 26, 2015
19 reviews filtered by
4.4
Erik Murphy

1. Talked with about 5 other vendors before I joined Murphy & Associates. Found them to be most aligned with my principles.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Murphy and Associates as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Transparent, professional, ethical, consistent, great technology, establish clear expectations

Cons

You have to pay out of pocket for your benefits

Advice to Management

Might be valuable to offer training courses and group discount buying

Apr 14, 2015President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we greatly appreciate the feedback. Murphy & Associates is proud to share that effective 3/30/15, we rolled out a new online training option available ... More

2. Open, honest, and supportive of their employees.

I have been working at Murphy and Associates

Pros

As far as agencies go M&A is the best I've worked with. They are 100% transparent with your contract which is incredible refreshing. They are always available to answer questions or help if you have questions about your assignment.

Cons

I really can't think of any. Before I would have said lack of health insurance but they had recently added that which is nice.

Apr 14, 2015President

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of Murphy & Associates. We are glad to hear your experience has been positive and appreciate the kind words.

When it comes to temp agencies, Murphy and Associates are better one out there in this area.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Murphy and Associates as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

When it comes to compensation, they are very open in sharing bill rate and fee. Not most of companies do in this type of business. In addition, employees are always professional.

Cons

What they don't tell you up front is that they take their corporate portion of tax (like FUTA, SUTA and FICA) from your pay in addition to employee portion. This still isn't as bad as some other agencies out there, but it contrasts to the company's overall transparent policy. When I found out later, I was pretty disappointed. But again though, when it comes to a temp agencies, this company does much better job then others.

Advice to Management

If the business model is a true pursuit of transparency, then it will be great to be very open to indicate that employees are ones paying the corporate portion of employment related tax.

Apr 14, 2015President

Thank you for your feedback and post. We are a bit surprised because we do emphasize corporate taxes as part of the transparency in our model as we onboard new employees and we're disappointed that ... More

5. Friendly, full disclosure, family owned business

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Murphy and Associates as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Friendly, full disclosure, family owned business.
    - Great opportunities
    - Nice holiday parties
    - Nice summer events
    - Great company values
    - 401K plan
    - Group medical plan

Cons

You are responsible for all of your own time-off
    You are responsible for all of your benefits

Mar 11, 2015President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We appreciate your long partnership with us and are happy to see that you took advantage of and participated in our events and parties. We strive to ... More

6. Murphy and Associates has your best interest at heart.

Current Employee - Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Murphy and Associates

Pros

They work hard to help you find a role that's a good fit with your skills and interest, they negotiate the best rate they can for you (and give way more back to you in your pay rate than most firms), and once you're on assignment, they regularly check-in to see how things are going and address any concerns (including helping you find your next opportunity).

Cons

I don't have any cons - I am very happy with Murphy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! It's nice to hear from your Engagement manager, but it's unusual to have other recruiters/engagement managers, and even the president of the company, reach out to check in and see how things are going. It really makes you feel more like you're part of the company, which is not easy as a consultant.

Mar 11, 2015President

Thank you for taking the time to post this review - and for the kind words. It's great to hear that your experience with Murphy & Associates has been so positive and we appreciate your partnership.

7. Hands off approach for consultants

Former Contractor - Consultant in Kirkland, WA
    Former Contractor - Consultant in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Murphy and Associates as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Total autonomy when working with the clients and minimal interruption. No need to come into the main office.

Cons

Did not provide IT support, only advocated for clients (rather than consultants or staff), provided no optional training or job support.

Advice to Management

If resources or consultants working here really matter to the company, invest in creating an environment where they are accepted and have incentive to represent Murphy and Associates properly with clients.

Mar 11, 2015President

Thank you for your review. We take pride in the relationships we build with our consultants and the role we play in advocating for them. They absolutely do matter to our company so your feedback is ... More

8. So hands-off, you might as well have found the opportunity yourself (but they'll still take their cut)

I have been working at Murphy and Associates full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

15% sliding scale percentage of what you make is the only real benefit to this boutique consulting company in Kirkland.

Cons

Once you're in a contract,t hey really don't care about your satisfaction, the job fit, issues on the job, or any other problem you might have. You're stuck paying any fee for the company you're consulting for, such as Microsoft, out of pocket ($500 monthly "sit onsite" fee). What limited training they offer also comes out of your own pocket, and you won't hear from them unless you're actively looking for a role. They also won't budge on their percentage if you bring them a role. This year, they are rolling out health care benefits in accordance with ACA regulations and are planning on charging all employees a fee--regardless of if you are already covered.

Advice to Management

Be a little less cheap with your benefits, and treat your consultants, who are making your company successful, more like people and less like a meal ticket.

Mar 11, 2015President

We are sorry to hear your experience with us has not been positive. We would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss any concerns you may have. Contact with our employees is of the utmost ... More

9. Great Experience, Great Company, Fantastic!

Former Contractor - Program Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Program Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Murphy and Associates as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Close contact, Great communication, Full Visibilty

Cons

Health Care own responsibility. Career outlook

Advice to Management

401K Matching needed, and health care option

Mar 11, 2015President

Thank you for posting a review. We value your input. Murphy & Associates is proud to share that effective 1/1/15, we do offer health care options for our employees through Moda Health. We ... More

10. Challenging assignments, very professional workplace

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Murphy and Associates as a contractor

Pros

They truly do all they can to find you a position, they work with the best companies. It's an amazing team helping you and working with you. I've been working with them for a few years now and have had such a great experience

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to find the right assignment at the right time and rate; this can be said of any consulting firm though

Mar 11, 2015President

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and are happy to hear that your experience with Murphy & Associates has been so positive.

11. Make me feel respected and valued.

Current Contractor - Consultant in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Murphy and Associates as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Transparent. Supportive. Excellent compensation. They value you as a part of the team and share a higher percentage of the bill rate as a result. They have been very helpful finding new roles when contracts came to a close, and are also open to you bringing your own.

Cons

You're not an FTE, so you need to be prepared to take responsibility for yourself and your career. Also, no benefits package, but the higher share of the bill rate makes up for that.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Mar 11, 2015President

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We value your input and are happy to hear that your experience with us has been so positive. Murphy & Associates is proud to share that effective ... More