Muscular Dystrophy Association

Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks

Steven M. Derks

Pros
  • I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life(in 17 reviews)

• The client families are amazing(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership(in 18 reviews)

• Long hours, little pay, no bonuses, no comp time, unrealistic goals and expectations(in 14 reviews)

It's a great feeling knowing that what you do every single day makes someone else's life better!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsContributing to the greater good. I can't imagine ever working for a company that doesn't give back on the level that this one does.

ConsWe've been slow to embrace modern technology & methods. And sometimes a bit slow to train people on the new technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the forward momentum going please! We are only as good as the tools we can utilize.

Nothing worth doing is easy

ProsWork / life balance

Flexible hours

Autonomy

ConsMicromanagement

Never-ending quota increases

Upper-level management with no clue

Lack of reward for district teams

Advice to Senior ManagementGive lower level management a chance to show you what they are capable of doing. Just because a RC/DD has been with the company for 10 years doesn't mean they are the best for the job - especially if they have never worked for ANYONE else.

Great People, Grear Mission, Has Improved

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsI love the people that I work with. They are like family. I have worked for other non profits and like that MDA's fundraising efforts are returned to clinic, research, and the people that it serves. Mr. Derks, the new CEO, has been very instrumental in moving the company in a more current/updated direction. The company has a lot of potential, but more changes are required now, for the future to help it to reach its growth potential.

ConsAntiquated resources, tools, systems, and business and organization model
    Lack of accountability and fairness
    Micromanagement by leadership which hinders creativity and trust
    Lack of empowerment from leadership. A lot of people are either unqualified to do their position as new hires or tenured with outdated skills sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote fairness and accountability. Create how-to manuals for all duties and positions, were applicable. New HR onboarding system. Reimbursement for continued training or implement internal training for skill development. More PTO in lieu of salary increase. Equal time off for all, not tenure based. Those of us who are newer work just as hard, if not more, than our tenure counterparts and coworkers.

Keep up the changes in the positive, updated, and right direction.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work hard. Play hard.

Executive Director (Current Employee)

ProsMy office is the best in the country with a great culture and dynamic. We talk with and see wonderful sponsors and MDA clients daily and are reminded and thanked for our hard work. MDA's mission is to find treatments and cures and we are on our way. I have over 50 paid days off per year, a wealth of information at my fingertips and I am able to manage the health and work/life balance in my office with flex/comp days/hours. It is GREAT to be able to treat employees with time off for a job well done.

ConsIt's a non-profit so you go in knowing your salary isn't comparable to other careers out there BUT there is growth in the MDA and compensation is picking up. The MDA has seasons and some times of the year are harder than the others but if you are passionate about what you do, the time is worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Steve Derks has turned the MDA around for the better. Keep the technology and professional materials coming! I have never felt more legitimate going into meetings than I have in the past few months. We do need raises and to re-implement our benefits structure and the board of directors and Mr. Derks is working in that direction.

PEASE READ! Don't be fooled by the most current reviews!

Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsAs a current employee, I am truly finding it hard to come up with a pro regarding my job as a fundraising coordinator, other than working with real families living with muscular dystrophy. With all of the jobs I've had, this is the absolute worst, and I'm not alone in this. DON'T BELIEVE THE CURRENT REVIEWS! I don't know where these "current reviews" came from, but I guarantee you they are from made-up accounts by the higher-ups at our national office, or certain employees were "asked" to write a positive review. PLEASE GO BACK TO EARLY 2014 OR ANYTIME IN 2013 TO READ THE REAL REVIEWS. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

ConsWhere to start... absolutely NO TRAINING. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I can only speak from a fundraising standpoint, but there hasn't been one REAL training from my first day here. Sure, they'll tell you you're going to have a seminar or webinar or a "special meeting from the divisional head" for training - and the trainings are BOGUS. I still can't formulate into words EXACTLY what I do here because I've had no training. I was sent to a New Hire Training a few months after I arrived - 3 days long and it was a sales seminar... I left sales to pursue fundraising - fantastic.

Now for when you get the job... there's no real history from previous employees left in a database anywhere for you to look at. So you come in to your new job, with copies of emails and other odd documents on a CD-ROM and you're supposed to magically understand how to do your job. OR BETTER YET, look through mountains of BINDERS where all of the pertinent information can be found regarding your job. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Oh, and did they tell you about the pay freeze that's been in place for the past 5 years? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME THAT WHEN THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB! Good luck with trying to move your life forward in this place - no pay increase, no bonus, no ability to move forward (and how would you anyway with no training).

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone in upper management should be ashamed of themselves - I've seen the salaries you're making compared to the pittance you pay field staff - and you're not even doing anything to deserve it! And if you are, try a little transparency. Your ridiculous nation-wide conference calls with all your business jargon and garbage is just that - garbage. You never answer a question directly and you never ACTUALLY GIVE US UPDATES. And such a shame too, because with your 30% turn-over rate, all your doing is preventing families from trusting anyone new, and causing sponsors and partners to feel at a loss when they have to explain their program all over again. Shame on you.

GET WITH IT. What are you all doing up there... helloooooo. So what? - you're giving us early leave during the month of July, HALF OF THE STAFF CAN'T EVEN USE IT BECAUSE IT'S THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.

Tell the truth. Get rid of the dead weight (ie. divisional staff that have been here way too long to understand and offer new fundraising methods). Stop the pay-freeze OR offer performance based bonuses. Develop REAL trainings. STOP looking for sales people - people come to the MDA looking to fundraise and you're turning them into car salesmen. Have divisional staff be more present and available to field staff OTHER than the Executive Directors.

START NOW.

Great work experience, even better life experience.

ProsThe people that work at MDA, and especially the families that you get to work for, make each day worth it.
    You get to do various events and experiences that make it different than previous jobs and gives a strong growth of skills.

ConsThere has been a lot of change of the past several years and it's been tough. Smaller teams make it challenging for those trying to get everything done in the best way.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through on what is said and remember your current team members are your strongest advocates and resource.

Do Not Work Here

Fundraising Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsThe mission, the sponsors, the families and some of your colleagues.

ConsThis organization is a mess. There are a lot of cons, too many to list really. The biggest problem is divisional management, many of them have been there a long time and perpetuate mistreatment of employees. The culture is horrible, shocking, degrading, and life-sucking. Turnover is the second biggest problem and is a direct result of horrible divisional management.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP

"The Mission is Everything"

ProsAt the heart of this organization is an unwavering passion to fulfill its mission of eliminating the world of muscle disease. The message is reflected in MDA's focus, its people and dedicated supporters. In a challenging fundraising environment, MDA has retained a generous health care package and made several changes to its time off policies to help foster a more sustainable work-life balance. MDA places a great deal of focus on promoting talented team members. The level of talent, drive and commitment of its workforce is astounding. The families that you meet and the stories of their courage are incredible. It is a very rewarding career.

ConsUnlike some of their peer organizations, MDA is still trying to dig its way out of the damaging economic climate from the last five years and overcome some significant revenue losses. This has resulted in severe cutbacks, closure of field offices and has damaged the morale level. Its flagship fundraising campaigns have not kept pace with the changing demands in the marketplace which has also impacted revenue levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough mission is the foundation to the organization, there needs to be a stronger sense of responsibility to the employees that are the backbone. The talent erosion over the past few years due to lack of adequate compensation is unfortunate. The efforts to improve the work/life balance are notable but employees are unable to take advantage of the opportunities due to the high expectations and round the clock emails.

Too good to be true...

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsWorking as a temp employee everything is great!

ConsOnce you get hired on as a full time employee the cracks begin to show. Systems are ancient processes are outdated and there is no respect for Administrative assistants at all even though it's one of the most demanding positions. The pay does not equal the work load. And as an hourly employee you are not required to attend event after hours but are chastised if you don't attend. No accountability for anything!

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and look around and learn from the great staff members that you have now and weed out the useless ones. A warm body doesn't equal a great employee.

Mission rich job

Divisional Staff (Current Employee)

ProsCo-workers and clients/families we serve keep me coming to work everyday.
    Office culture varies greatly from office to office. Our office is fantastic.
    time off is good.

ConsThe company has been changing and has not found its own "culture" yet
    company continues to down size giving the remaining employees more work
    no pay raises in 6 years
    new staff are brought in at same pay as current staff who have been here for awhile with no pay raises
    no pay for performance
    no matching 403b
    no career advancement/opportunities (especially in administrative areas)
    no recognition unless you are bringing in $$
    you are only as good as your last event

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop the restructuring. enough is enough
    Pay for performance. adjust pay for people that have not received raises. Administrative staff are not 2nd class citizens

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!