Muscular Dystrophy Association

Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks

Steven M. Derks

Pros:
  • "I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life"
    in 15 reviews
  • "The client families are amazing"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours, little pay, no bonuses, no comp time, unrealistic goals and expectations"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Work/life balance is impossible if you are doing your job right and getting your work done"
    in 14 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A very structured work environment with great impact on patients and families.

Executive Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than a year

ProsVery clearly stated goals
Ability to make a difference in patient's lives
Variety in daily tasks

ConsLots of phone work
No flexibility in schedule
Lots and lots of oversight and management

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify the mountains of rules, forms and procedures
Allow people to match schedules to work load

Amazing mission, positive change underway

Manager (Current Employee)
Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat changes in place for organization that's regaining its edge as charity.

ConsHeart-wrenching work fighting diseases that haven't had cures....but progress on the horizon.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the change underway.

Great Potential, Awesome Mission, but needs to invest in good employees

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou work with amazing families and awesome sponsors. There is a fantastic mission and huge strides in research in the past few years. Its fast paced and fun and promotes a team atmosphere!

ConsI started here at the beginning of the recession. They instituted a salary freeze 6 years ago and it hasn't been lifted. Its difficult to be great at your job and not compensated for it. There also is a very cookie cutter path for promotions that doesn't fit everyone's goals. Its either a management position or you sit in entry level.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great decison to bring in Steve Derks, he has really strengthened the association and has "righted the ship" so to speak. However, they really need to listen to the ground level employees more and bring back the salary raise for staff to at least apply for.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meaningful yet Overworked

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association

ProsAt MDA, it’s a joy to develop relationships with the families and provide services that directly impact lives.

ConsThe work load at MDA is unrealistic and work setting unsupportive. Many activities and work hours outside the 9-5 schedule without flex options. Benefits could be improved, no employee raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew hire training was minimal and a last priority. There needs to be a work-life balance to stop high-staff turnover. I feel hopeful for the many changes that have been implemented and are still to come from the new CEO and national staff. However change is slow.

Changing Lives...

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association for more than 5 years

ProsThe families we serve are so inspiring. You get to work closely with the people you serve and the services that MDA provides is commendable.

There has been many changes within MDA but I feel that it's for the better. We are changing things that we should have changed a long time ago.

Conswork life balance and not compensated for the work that you do

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sometimes you don't just work for the salary

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

ProsWorking for MDA is a very rewarding job, there is a satisfaction in helping others

ConsThe salary levels are non-competitive and not much room for growth in management without re-location.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider allowing more discretion through all levels when it comes to making program decisions - national programs are successful, however they don't always run the same in each region or state and allowing the lower level staff to make those calls is suggested

Mission Rich

Health Care (Current Employee)

ProsEveryday you go to work you know you are making a lasting impression on many families that are counting on you. My career with MDA has given me much of my own personal growth both personally and professionally. Having a positive, mission rich team has created an amazing work environment to be apart of.

ConsTime is of the essence! At times there doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day to complete your job - because of this work/life balance can be tough. If you seek help and guidance you will get it, though it is not always offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say the biggest concern is compensation - I think it has created much turn over which puts many holes in our business plans. I feel like when a team is solid (I have been a part of revolving door teams and now a solid team) and it costs you so much having to re train on every program and sponsors and families see this.

More time off is not a compensation - it gets to a point where taking additional time off is more of burden than good.

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI loved the people I worked with - my coworkers, the client families and our sponsors and partners. I built lifelong friendships and professional contacts. The summer camp is so much fun to attend and no day in the office is the same.

ConsIt can be very difficult to advance in your career and there was a pay freeze the whole 5 years I was there. There is much talk about making changes and getting us the money we deserve, but that came from the top, out of touch management. The Lock-Up program is dated and a frustrating fundraising program to work on.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your long-time employees more. Not just with words (though that was definitely not frequent enough either - new employees seem more valued), but with pay increases. I had been there three years and found out that new-hires were getting paid the same as me. It was very frustrating and I did not feel that I was in the loop on things happening in the organization...it felt like just the Executive Directors got to know important information. Lastly, some comp time and more work flexibility may have kept me there.

Great Cause, but Be Ready to Work Night and Day

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI love meeting the families and doing what I can to help make their lives a little easier. I have made some great relationships with our patient families. They are the reason I am still here. The pay is average, but when the workload is considered it's really not that great. Benefits are really, really good! Company continually looking for ways to make staff happy with work/life balance. We do provide more services to our families than any other non-profit and that is impressive, along with the fact that we have one of the highest percentages on use of funds to services. MDA is making great strides in research and that is exciting to be a part of.

ConsWork load is ridiculous! Many weekend/evening events with no more money. In fact, raises are almost non-existant! I never feel I can relax at home due to being stressed about what needs to be done at work. Multiple events going on at the same time, so never a feeling of closure. Travel isn't too bad, but always just seems to fall at the worst time with families events going on! We are given a great amount of time off work, but it never feels like there is a good time to miss as there is ALWAYS something you need to tend to.

Advice to Senior ManagementExecutive Directors shouldn't be asked to speak for the entire office. If a question pertains to a specific event/circumstance. The employee involved should be spoken with directly. The director in our office tends to "mislead" in their favor. Training in ALL positions could be better, rather than a couple of days and then getting thrown to the wolves. There doesn't seem to be "across the board" structure on how things are done, which lead to confusion and mistakes. Would like to see a more UNIFORM approach and leave out the guess work. Communication to change is key. Information doesn't seem to make to it the district offices a lot of times until you are getting in trouble for something that has changed yet you were never notified of!!! On a more positive note, I think the benefits that you offer are excellent and your hard work to provide the best prices/coverage are much appreciated. The acknowledgement of birthdays and anniversaries are added bonuses and, again, very much appreciated.

Excellent organizational mission, not-so-great work/life balance for employees.

Fundraising (Current Employee)

Pros- Getting to know local MDA families
- Job is dynamic and ever-changing
- Great way to get professional experience! You deal with so many different industries and walks of life.
- Part of a tightly-knit team
- 77% of what's raised goes directly back to the cause
- Steady rate of promotion on district level
- Recognition for a job well done and quotas achieved
- Getting to work with dedicated sponsors

Cons- Some benchmarks and expectations are unreasonable, especially with multiple programs occurring at once.
- Work/life balance is impossible if you are doing your job right and getting your work done
- Constantly balancing multiple events and programs
- "Baptism by fire" training program
- Feeling guilty taking a lunch break and leaving at 5:00 p.m.
- Not much room for growth out of the district level
- Seem to restructure every 1-2 years, changes to protocol are difficult to keep up with
- Burnout

Advice to Senior Management- Not all core programs will be successful in every market. Work with the district teams to devise a plan for programs that will work in their markets.
- Whether or not we achieve our fundraising quotas, recognize the hard work and extra hours put in by staff. District staff members sacrifice a lot (exercise routine, time with family, etc.) to fulfill work roles.

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!

Muscular Dystrophy Association Videos

Muscular Dystrophy Association – Why Work for Us?

Why just work? Start making a difference today! MDA is the nonprofit health agency dedicated to finding treatments and cures for muscular dystrophy, ALS and related diseases by funding worldwide research. The… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Muscular Dystrophy Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Muscular Dystrophy Association CEO Steven M. Derks. All 164 reviews posted anonymously by Muscular Dystrophy Association employees.