Muscular Dystrophy Association

Updated October 13, 2014
2.7

Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks
Steven M. Derks

Pros
  • I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits are good, families are amazing (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership (in 20 reviews)

• While they offer lots of holidays, there is no comp time (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

little training, lots of work, but also lots of freedom and comfort in sharing ideas, GREAT people

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

freedom, empowerment to share ideas, work with a diverse group of people

Cons

lots of weekend events, alot of work and reporting, but worth it

don't get too far removed from fundraising because there is constant change and if you are too far removed then you won't have the best ideas or the recent experience from which to draw your ideas/advice.

Hard work but great team

Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team,wonderful mission and they take care of you.

Cons

VERY lean so you will wear a lot of hats and they are trying to stay competitive

MDA is an AMAZING and REWARDING company to work for

Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's amazing coming to work each day knowing you are making a difference in someone's life! Additionally, MDA has the best benefits...hands down! Holiday pay, sick leave, personal days and an amazing vacation benefit. My last 2 jobs I had to wait 5 years to earn 3 weeks vacation...at MDA I earned 4 weeks in my 3rd year!

Cons

You work hard...all day! But at 5p it's time to go and what's left is waiting for you in the morning! Most times you're working on more than one event at a time...but each day is a chance to be successful...all for our families! Without us who do they have?

Keep up the great support! And thanks for recognizing our hard work, extra time, successes and so on! It means the world and truly makes all the difference. It makes me WANT to stay with MDA - knowing my efforts are noticed and therefore acknowledged.

Never a Dull Moment

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is definitely a job to be done here. There are lots of variety and plenty of opportunities to widen your skill-set and learn new things. The people are great. MDA is a focused, dedicated and energetic group working toward a common good. It's exciting and challenging.

Cons

Time and change. The unbelievable fluidity that comes with constant change is the biggest obstacle. The boat has been rocked a few times in the last couple of years. Systems changes, management changes and company-wide reorganization have made staying on board and holding steady a hearty task. It isn't for the faint of heart.

Keep the sails up.

Great work experience, even better life experience.

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work at MDA, and especially the families that you get to work for, make each day worth it.
    You get to do various events and experiences that make it different than previous jobs and gives a strong growth of skills.

Cons

There has been a lot of change of the past several years and it's been tough. Smaller teams make it challenging for those trying to get everything done in the best way.

Follow through on what is said and remember your current team members are your strongest advocates and resource.

Amazing mission, positive change underway

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great changes in place for organization that's regaining its edge as charity.

Cons

Heart-wrenching work fighting diseases that haven't had cures....but progress on the horizon.

Love the change underway.

MDA ROCKS!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

I have worked for MDA for 12 years and I love it. I am very proud to tell people that I work for MDA and I am proud of the work that we do. MDA has excellent healthcare benefits, and is very generous with paid time off throughout the year. This company has always given me fair and generous compensation because I am an overachieving employee that has always met and exceeded the employee goals.

Cons

1. There are seasons of the year in which you must work evenings and weekends in order to meet the demands of sponsors. This at times become difficult to manage with a family. However, if you manage your time effectively you can figure it out.
    2. There have been a lot of bad hires in the last several years. Some (not all) of the recent college grads feel that the are entitle to a hire salary position without ever "paying their dues". I have found that recent grads think that social media is the answer to all things, and that they expect that they should get raises without meeting their goals. This is frustrating to staff that have been working hard for years.

Provide more training that is relevant to making the staff more well rounded employees versus program specific trainings. All staff need management, sales and people skills training that are taught by experts in the specific fields, not by MDA staff.

Love working here!

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

Pros

MDA is the best company that I have worked for. The cause is hands down one of the best out there and you can truly own your development and success. I am challenged every week and love every minute of it.

Cons

There is a lot of nights and weekends in this role but so goes event planning and anything in the nonprofit industry.

Continue to invest in your people.

Wonderful

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, benefits, good work hours. Good Atmosphere

Cons

not able to advance in the company: people stay in their positions for a long time.

I liked the management

Amazing growth

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There is change among the company right now, which is a benefit to many in the company. The company is making changes for long term success.

Cons

the hours are Monday through Friday 9-5 with an hour lunch so with a 7 hour work day you consistently need to be getting work done, on the flip side only a 35 hour work week so you aren't tired and exhausted at the end of the week.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Photos