Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Reset
2.8
Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks
Steven M. Derks

Pros
  • I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits are good, families are amazing (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a poor work/life balance for much of the year (in 20 reviews)

• You are expected to work a crazy amount of nights and weekends with absolutely NO comp time in exchange (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Working for the MDA is an incredible opportunity to be a community connector and help people...

Current Employee - Executive Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

I have been an MDA partner since 2010, when our son was diagnosed with DMD. I have recently joined the MDA team help and have a greater impact on the ongoing work and mission of the MDA. Working for the MDA is an incredible opportunity to be a community connector and help people overcome obstacles. The MDA provides the opportunity to get to know, collaborate and work with medical professionals, community leaders, local and national fire stations, professional athletes and celebrities. Now is the time, more than ever before to be apart of change and new answers to old problems. I love the culture, spirit and people I have come into contact with that make up the MDA. It is incredible to see a child smile and get a hug from a family member because they know you care and you are fighting for them.

Cons

And organization that is successful has to change and grow. Changing and growing up is hard work.

Jun 15, 2015HR Director

Thank you for your inspiring comments! I can feel the passion in your words and appreciate that you took the time to let others know about MDA's powerful mission. We are working hard to to fight ... More

2. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Medford, OR

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good pay fabulous work/life balance and you're helping people.

Cons

No raises once you're in, really not too many cons

Advice to Management

reopen more offices

Jun 23, 2015HR Director

Thanks so much for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to post your experience and feedback.

3. Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Marion, IA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Marion, IA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association (Less than a year)

Pros

I cannot begin to share the feeling you get when we receive a letter from one of the children affected with a muscle disease, on how much they enjoyed going to summer camp. Just to know that we helped make that happen is enough!

Cons

There is downside personally with working with the MDA, they provide you with all the information and product knowledge you need to be a success!

5. LOVED

Former Employee - Fund Raising Coordinator in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Fund Raising Coordinator in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association (More than a year)

Pros

a company you can easily get passionate about

Cons

logistical things change often, but it must to keep up with the times

6. MDA = passionate, mission-driven, dedicated and supportive association

Current Employee - Divisional Director in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Divisional Director in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

MDA is progress. I love the MDA and I love my career. No where else can you work with passionate families, sponsors and staff.

Cons

There isn't a cure yet. And because there is so much good going on, one could work all day, every day!

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your teams! Positive culture continues to grow and grow and there are a wealth of amazing leadership and management.

Mar 30, 2015HR Director

Thank you very much for your review! I am very encouraged by your feedback and the feedback I am hearing across the board. I feel like MDA's culture is moving in the right direction. Thank you for ... More

little training, lots of work, but also lots of freedom and comfort in sharing ideas, GREAT people

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

freedom, empowerment to share ideas, work with a diverse group of people

Cons

lots of weekend events, alot of work and reporting, but worth it

Advice to Management

don't get too far removed from fundraising because there is constant change and if you are too far removed then you won't have the best ideas or the recent experience from which to draw your ideas/advice.

8. Hard work but great team

Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team,wonderful mission and they take care of you.

Cons

VERY lean so you will wear a lot of hats and they are trying to stay competitive

MDA is an AMAZING and REWARDING company to work for

Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's amazing coming to work each day knowing you are making a difference in someone's life! Additionally, MDA has the best benefits...hands down! Holiday pay, sick leave, personal days and an amazing vacation benefit. My last 2 jobs I had to wait 5 years to earn 3 weeks vacation...at MDA I earned 4 weeks in my 3rd year!

Cons

You work hard...all day! But at 5p it's time to go and what's left is waiting for you in the morning! Most times you're working on more than one event at a time...but each day is a chance to be successful...all for our families! Without us who do they have?

Advice to Management

Keep up the great support! And thanks for recognizing our hard work, extra time, successes and so on! It means the world and truly makes all the difference. It makes me WANT to stay with MDA - knowing my efforts are noticed and therefore acknowledged.

Never a Dull Moment

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is definitely a job to be done here. There are lots of variety and plenty of opportunities to widen your skill-set and learn new things. The people are great. MDA is a focused, dedicated and energetic group working toward a common good. It's exciting and challenging.

Cons

Time and change. The unbelievable fluidity that comes with constant change is the biggest obstacle. The boat has been rocked a few times in the last couple of years. Systems changes, management changes and company-wide reorganization have made staying on board and holding steady a hearty task. It isn't for the faint of heart.

Advice to Management

Keep the sails up.

Great work experience, even better life experience.

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work at MDA, and especially the families that you get to work for, make each day worth it.
    You get to do various events and experiences that make it different than previous jobs and gives a strong growth of skills.

Cons

There has been a lot of change of the past several years and it's been tough. Smaller teams make it challenging for those trying to get everything done in the best way.

Advice to Management

Follow through on what is said and remember your current team members are your strongest advocates and resource.

RSS Feed </> Embed