Muscular Dystrophy Association

Updated September 5, 2014
2.7

Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks
Steven M. Derks

Pros
  • I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life (in 17 reviews)

• The client families are amazing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership (in 18 reviews)

• Long hours, little pay, no bonuses, no comp time, unrealistic goals and expectations (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Do not work for this company!

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The best thing are the client families that you help!

Cons

Horrible work-life balance! They expect you to drop everything, even last minute, to work nights and weekends with no comp days.
    Extremely unrealistic goals and expectations set by the regional office.
    Too much regional involvement in daily activities (multiple meetings with regional a week when you could have been doing your job)
    I had years of non profit experience before I worked for this company and this is by far the worst I've ever seen regarding "money focused" and they completely lose sight of "the cause".
    No feeling of job security.
    High turnover.
    Trained very poorly!

Hard work but great team

Former Employee - Executive Director  in  Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great team,wonderful mission and they take care of you.

Cons

VERY lean so you will wear a lot of hats and they are trying to stay competitive

WORST JOB EVER! Any "good"review is a fake!

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

SOME of the people with the disease get helped.

Cons

The supervisors treat VRC's like they are less than human. Goals are ridiculous. They talk down to u & often have company paid lunches in the office but NEVER ask the very FEW VRC's to join them. Very rude staff. They talk down to VRC's. They keep reducing the already reduced part time hours & will close the office whenever they feel like it making for even less hours & THEY DO NOT CARE. I asked a friend to do a story with the local news to expose the dark side of this comany & to expose the local temp agencies for sending out employees to this awful company!

Act like a human being

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity to make networking connections

Cons

Almost everything at the MDA is a "con" on my list including compensation, promotions - which don't happen, company values - they have no idea what their values are or where the organization is going, management - management that is hired is not qualified or have the appropriate experience.

Great resume builder, not ideal for long-term

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than a year

Pros

* There are clearly a host of Current Employees who have recently made it a point to do some PR by listing many "cons" on this site...take that info very, very cautiously. Do your own research (Charity Navigator).
    *Great and worthy mission
    *Some of the most deserving families. Seriously, this is what keeps you going amidst the chaos.
    *Every bank/gov't holiday is observed
    *Summer hours
    *Great opportunity to add in-demand experience to your resume (sponsorship sales, event facilitation, marketing, volunteer coordination, project management...). Very thankful for this because, combined with my previous experience, it allowed me to land an awesome opportunity elsewhere pretty quickly!

Cons

*Disconnected leadership, both internally and with the 21st century
    *Ambitious and lofty goals, but shallow knowledge on how to lead a team to such success (nationally, and as a result, regionally and locally).
    *Hard to sell/promote outdated brand. An internal survey revealed that the general public of young adults have NO CLUE what MDA is! They're working on this...but it will be a very long journey.
    *Unstable financial outlook = HIGH pressure on the field level to get $$$
    *No retirement contribution
    *No raises...nope...not even cost of living or merit based
    *Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership.
    *Quite honestly, it's just a hot mess internally. So often things would be last minute or unclear due to an intense scramble for much needed money. Also, because the organization is struggling to find its footing and invests nothing aside from annual salary in its employees, I would only advise working for MDA for the short-term to gain valuable experience. Run very quicly once you have some wins under your belt.

PLEASE, for the sake of the families you help, educate yourselves outside of MDA and encourage your staff at all levels to do the same. There's a flourishing fundraising world that is rebounding since the recession - relying on what worked 20 years ago is simply incompetent and obsolete at this point. Also, until you invest in your staff, your turnover will remain high and detrimental to long term success.

MDA is an AMAZING and REWARDING company to work for

Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant  in  Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's amazing coming to work each day knowing you are making a difference in someone's life! Additionally, MDA has the best benefits...hands down! Holiday pay, sick leave, personal days and an amazing vacation benefit. My last 2 jobs I had to wait 5 years to earn 3 weeks vacation...at MDA I earned 4 weeks in my 3rd year!

Cons

You work hard...all day! But at 5p it's time to go and what's left is waiting for you in the morning! Most times you're working on more than one event at a time...but each day is a chance to be successful...all for our families! Without us who do they have?

Keep up the great support! And thanks for recognizing our hard work, extra time, successes and so on! It means the world and truly makes all the difference. It makes me WANT to stay with MDA - knowing my efforts are noticed and therefore acknowledged.

Never a Dull Moment

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is definitely a job to be done here. There are lots of variety and plenty of opportunities to widen your skill-set and learn new things. The people are great. MDA is a focused, dedicated and energetic group working toward a common good. It's exciting and challenging.

Cons

Time and change. The unbelievable fluidity that comes with constant change is the biggest obstacle. The boat has been rocked a few times in the last couple of years. Systems changes, management changes and company-wide reorganization have made staying on board and holding steady a hearty task. It isn't for the faint of heart.

Keep the sails up.

Experiences to last a lifetime

Current Employee - Area Director
    Current Employee - Area Director

Pros

The impact you make and the people you meet will stay with you forever. If you "really get it" this job won't be just a job but so much more, it's something you can feel passionate about. It allows you to be creative, to make any program or event, just want you want it to be. You can take the ball and run with it and the people you touch throughout the process will end up touching you so much more! Working at MDA, you are surrounded by managers and co-workers who want you to succeed and are there to help you achieve your goals. The better you are at your job, the better it is for the company. It's a team environment and we are all here for the greater good of our families and mission.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, and it is tremendously difficult to find qulified employees to staff open positions. There is not a 403b match and raises are only offered with a promotion. That said, there is little room for growth without relocation unless the manager above you leaves his/ her position.

Sometimes the work takes over and there is not time for team building or team meetings and those are really important. I think conferences or divisional meetings are also important to learn from other districts.

It's a great feeling knowing that what you do every single day makes someone else's life better!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Contributing to the greater good. I can't imagine ever working for a company that doesn't give back on the level that this one does.

Cons

We've been slow to embrace modern technology & methods. And sometimes a bit slow to train people on the new technology.

Keep the forward momentum going please! We are only as good as the tools we can utilize.

Always working hard for our families for years but with no pay increases makes it tough for all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Our families makes my job rewarding. MDA does help our families so much and it's nice to explain what we can provide for them.

Cons

Would like to see more rewards for the hard working support staff on all levels. It seems that the only hard work recognized is for management staff and support staff is left out for their hard efforts all together.

It's true that it's important to have good benefits, raise increases and a good work-life balance. I believe MDA is working on that. Let's consider why so many good people leave MDA in the same department repeatedly? Let's think and ponder that for a moment.

Worked for Muscular Dystrophy Association? Contribute to the Community!