Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Reset

1. Fundraising Coordinator

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Denver, CO

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work at MDA are genuine people and the work that they do in the community benefits so many lives.

Cons

So far there is nothing to complain about.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Aug 7, 2015 – HR Director

Thanks for the positive feedback! We appreciate you and your hard work!

Great Cause, tough to say that MDA is an employer of choice!

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The families and the cause keeps you working.

Cons

They have a pay freeze with no increases in the future, in fact they want us to work harder before they consider it but they keep cutting positions and making budget by cutting expenses. As an employee you are expected to shoulder expenses for travel, office needs such as volunteer meals, or anything that needs paid for that you can't determine in advance. They do not have local credit cards so you are expected and required to carry the costs. You have very limited opportunities for advancement and the turnover is constant with the expectation that you will pick up the additional work and it will be a success even if you don't have sponsors, attendees, budgets or support. You do not get comp time and work weekends, evenings and anytime you are expected to get anything done. The company is entirely event driven and you keep asking for money from the same people over and over and trying to get the same result.

Advice to Management

Stop making budget by cutting expenses! Invest in your employees, really pay them what they are worth and add the staff needed to get the job done. The cuts of staff and offices are obviously affecting the bottom line, you have to spend money to make money.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Aug 7, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. Our employees are extremely important to us which is why we take your feedback seriously. Please feel free to reach out to your local ... More

If you like micro managment this is the job for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Getting to work with the families and kids. Loved attending summer camp and getting to spend time with the kids. For along time this helped off set the negative parts of working for the company but after 5 years I just could not take it anymore

Cons

Low pay, negative and micro management from executive staff. There is not a good work to family life if you work for MDA. They expect you to work long hours and weekends with not flex time or overtime. If you mention either you minus well be looking for a new job. I think the company has lost focus on the real reason they where founded.

DO NOT WORK HERE

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

In the 8 years I was employed by MDA I was promoted several times culminating to a Regional Position, managing one of the highest revenue producing markets in the organization. It was rewarding to work and raise funds in the communities where we served families. The only pros of these job were the people we served, my colleagues and sponsors.

Cons

The senior management is the most unqualified group of individuals I have ever crossed paths professionally in my 18 year career in development. Employees are undervalued, over worked and made to feel incompetent, even when successful. There were several times that I fielded phone calls from senior management as they were on golf courses (for leisure) or their child's game, to reprimand my team over a minor concern (while we were clocking 12 hour days). THERE IS NO DIVERSITY in this organization, which is concerning. WHILE THE MAJORITY OF SUCCESSFUL EMPLOYEES ARE WOMEN, THERE ARE NO WOMEN IN SENIOR LEADERSHIP. It is a "good ole boys" club, and frankly a little concerning that it remains so in 2015. There is little work /life balance, however as a manager I ensured my staff had off-the-record comp time - otherwise they would not have lasted a year. Family life was always expected to take a back seat to your job, which you were drastically underpaid. I came from a very progressive area of the company (Mid Atlantic Division )and was shocked at the incompetent and unprofessional culture that existed throughout the organization. I could not get out fast enough. There is no room for growth (particularly if you are a woman). I hope the new CEO can clean up the mess his predecessors left. The mission of MDA still motivates me, I still contribute and volunteer where I can. However, with its current culture they will continue to hemorrhage competent and passionate people - and at the end of the day it is those we serve that will suffer.

Health Care Service Coordinator

Former Employee - Health Care Service Coordinator in Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Health Care Service Coordinator in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association (More than a year)

Pros

Support from the National Office

Cons

Long hours, lots of driving, gossip, backstabbing

Advice to Management

Clean out the out guard and replace with good, caring, honest people

Fundraising Coordinator

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of programs to learn and master, supporting a worthy cause, minimal oversight on daily business, interactions with client base are phenomenal. There's a lot to learn and plenty of opportunities for successes throughout the year.

Cons

Extremely steep learning curve (most people burn out from poor work/life balance in 1-2 years), extremely high rate of turnover, poor organizational structure, little to no financial incentive to exceed expectations (internal promotions are lacking), lacks basic institutional infrastructure (no centralized donor database), little to no work/life balance, donor stewardship lacks focus (most donors are extremely frustrated with the organization).

Advice to Management

Implement a centralized donor database (such as raisers edge), focus on donor stewardship, focus on promoting from within.

Worst job ever

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

The families we worked with were very kind.

Cons

Horrible hours. I often worked 60-70 hours a week instead of 40. Which often included all day events on weekends. The executive director was rarely there, mocked other employees when she was, and created a hostile work environment. We were encouraged to hide tye fact that money raised was going to stem cell research to possible donors. No culture of open communication or accountability.

Amazing place to work!

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for MDA for almost 5 years, so I saw the organization both before and after the new management and the restructuring. Change is always difficult, and the restructuring involved making some hard choices about how to be good stewards of donors' dollars. But overall the change has been very positive and very rapid considering the size of the organization. The culture has improved, and there is more of a team atmosphere now. There is also much better communication from senior management regarding the direction of the organization. The people who work here are wonderful colleagues, and the families we serve are inspirational every single day. Also, you really can't beat their benefits package.

Cons

Change is a process, and MDA is still going through some change, although the biggest changes seem to be behind us at this point. Pay raises for local staff are needed.

STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Houston, TX

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The families and meeting some inspiring people along the way.

Cons

MDA is going from bad to worse. There are so many terrible things going on within that organization it is hard to narrow it down. The one that sticks out the most to me, as a former employee is how they treat employees. Employees are extremely undervalued and mistreated by all levels of management. There is no appreciation for any work and employees are bullied for anything from what they wear to what they like to do on the weekends, their age and whether or not they have children, it is ridiculous and extremely judgmental. I'm honestly surprised no one has tried to file a lawsuit against MDA for things like this. The management will wear you down until you literally dread coming to work every day. This is extremely surprising considering management does not do any of the work within MDA. All the work is done by the little people, the fundraising coordinator and healthcare service coordinators. Management has lots of meetings but can't actually accomplish anything on their own. MDA talks about being an "employer of choice" but that has not changed any of the terrible working conditions. The HR generalist that they tell you on here to reach out to you are non-existent. They work from home or remotely and are never in the offices to see or help anyone. I had many conversations about my work conditions and that failed to change anything. Upon my exit interview, she said she knows how terrible it is but she cannot do anything to change it. There is a pay freeze going on, which I do not see changing anytime soon, since the organization cannot make money on any event they do currently. No bonuses or raises, either. Pretty standard pay for a nonprofit but with no hopes of any increases its not worth it, not even a standard of living increase. You are overworked beyond compare. Not only late days, but constant weekends and even holidays you are asked to come in with no compensation. They give you 8 half-days in the summer (summer hours) and think this will make up for it. It doesn't. There were times when I worked 6-8 weekends in a row (Saturday and Sunday) with no extra time off or compensation. And they're not just a couple hours on the weekends, there are many 12-15 hour Saturdays or Sundays, with no recognition or a thank you, for what you have just done. When anything comes up you are expected to be there, whether or not you have a family, or kids, or an outside life that comes first. Upper management is extremely out of touch with what it takes in 2015 to be an effective nonprofit. There are so many disease driven nonprofit that work better than MDA and they have failed to keep up with the times. MDA is notorious for treating donors and sponsors badly and they have left to find other nonprofits to support. There is no CRM or management system to track people and when staff leave generally so does all of their information and relationships. I can't tell you how many times I called to introduce myself to a donor and was greeted with "oh, another new MDA girl, how long will you last?" or simply just rudeness since they have met so many of us. Most of the families registered with MDA do not like the organization. MDA only caters to the kids and summer camps and completely ignores the adults. The only services adults receive are clinic visits and some support groups and then we call and hound the families and ask them to donate all the time, it is extremely embarrassing. 80% of those with muscular dystrophy are adults and yet they are ignored. A lot of adults are finding other organizations to go to because of this. Sure, the kids are cute and need our help too but it isn't enough to ignore everyone else that needs us. I would stay as far away as possible from this organization. There is nothing fulfilling about working for them. It is a shame because muscular dystrophy is a terrible disease, but it is not worth the pain of working with the management of MDA. I saw 15 employees leave in my 2 years with MDA and I know many more in my office were unhappy and looking for other jobs. The management does not understand what it is going to take to turn things around and blame all their problems on the ones actually doing the work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Show some appreciation for those doing all the work. Re-vamp your events and learn to adapt with the changing times of what needs to be done to effectively fundraise. Make HR effective instead of just having it to say you have it, it's useless in it's current state.

helping the children and their famlies

Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

1. helping the children with muscle disease 2. nothing else

Cons

1. an environment of micro-management for every detail 2. increasing fundraising quotas from above 3. unskilled co-workers at middle level 4. overseeing the part time phone recruiters (who often do a good job but are told its never good enough) 5. middle pay level with few raises over the years

Advice to Management

Please realize that the good people at the middle and lower ranks of the MDA are the reason you are a functioning large NON-PROFIT. Instead of pressuring them, try showing appreciation to them and this will make them do great things for the MDA. There is no need to have constant fundraising pressure and micromanaging of everyone. The general MDA office management climate of micromanaging every detail does nothing but erode the empowerment of that person's confidence who is being "instructed" on improved ways to do or say something. That person who is being frequently "critiqued" or "micromanaged" begins to question their native and learned skills and their confidence over time is eroded so this may cause many of them to quit. I have watched so many people at these two levels come and go not because of increasing quotas but because of constant micromanagement commentary from others inside their own offices.

RSS Feed </> Embed