Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Deltes Bad Reviews- Probably for a Reason

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The clients and families! I worked with some of the most inspiring, brilliant, and driven co-workers. Summer hours and PTO (with tons of hoops to jump through to get approved).

Cons

Well, I will start out by saying my original review was deleted. So, let that be a sign. I watched my amazing co-workers go nowhere in their career. This is why I had to leave. I knew my career was not going to grow. So I took my passion and skills elsewhere. Very little training. On my first day I was told "sink or swim" and they were being absolutely serious. Management (Executive Directors and District Directors) promotes a bully culture where co-workers are publicly shamed in front of clients, donors and sponsors. A few months in I almost went to get tested for a learning disability because they made me feel like I had one. Management is absent, except if you make a mistake- then they come tails wagging! At an event my District Director yelled at me in front of a group of guests for not doing something she told me earlier not to do. People were whispering. I honestly felt embarrassed for her. I heard management gossip about their employees and the clients (YES, THE CLIENTS!) to other employees, call their employees names, swear at employees and belittle them saying things like "Do you know how to read?" in front of their peers. We always told new employees to stay away from our District Director on event days or suffer her wrath. My Executive Director constantly worked from home because her commute was too hard on her. She would never reply to emails, was never available by phone and provided no leadership. But when people from the National office were around, she was suddenly our offices biggest cheerleader. It was so insincere. I caught her on multiple occasions throw her staff under the bus when she had dropped the ball. I came to MDA to make a difference. I left feeling broken.

Advice to Management

When offices have huge turnover, it's for a reason. Take a look at that reason.

Incredible mission, frustrating work environment

Former Employee - Divisional Director
    Former Employee - Divisional Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You would be hard pressed to find an organization that does more for the people it serves. MDA is truly committed to finding treatments and cures for neuromuscular diseases as well as improving the quality of life for those who are living with the disease(s). Given the limited training and resources that district staff receive, these team members work tirelessly to raise every dollar they can and provide excellent health care services to the families. There is great passion for the mission among district team members, and it shows in their dedication to the organization. MDA is also fortunate to have a number of wonderful corporate partners and again, district staff do an incredible job of connecting these partners to the mission, recognizing their contributions, and ensuring good stewardship of the dollars they raise. Positive leadership in the Executive Director and Divisional Director roles make all the difference to an employee's experience with the organization.

Cons

While MDA does a wonderful job serving the families, it does a terrible job of creating a positive work environment where staff feel valued and the organization appears to focus its efforts on churning, burning and rehiring staff than on keeping high performing team members for the long term. Fields staff that consistently achieve budget are not rewarded with increased compensation. While there has been an increase in training efforts, staff learn the basics of what they need to do their jobs; there is absolutely no focus on professional development. Therefore, when someone is promoted into their next role, they often lack the skills they need beyond fundraising to be successful in that role. Senior Management is not open to hearing feedback from district and divisional staff. Due to negative reviews, MDA is unable to attract quality candidates, which means positions sit unfilled for many months. District staff are still expected to achieve their goals even if they do not have the resources (people, training, etc) to do so. Due to the very low salaries, it is also hard to recruit & retain experienced talent. In addition, MDA does not do exit interviews to learn from staff why they chose to leave. With the restructuring that took place, MDA made short sighted decisions regarding the promotion of Regional and Divisional staff to national positions. rather than focusing on finding the right people that could elevate the organization. While the organization has had to make many changes, it has done so in a manner that has created fear and frustration and communicated quite clearly that the staff are not valued and are disposable. Finally, the National office runs in a very inefficient manner, which often creates double work for Divisional Staff and a causes lot of frustration for all field staff members.

Advice to Management

Some self reflection in regards to the phrases "employer of choice" and "our people are our greatest assets". What does this truly mean to the people that work at MDA and how can you deliver?

3. I love my job

Current Employee - Area Director in Billings, MT
    Current Employee - Area Director in Billings, MT

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fundraising throughout the state with amazing business partners and working for families with MD that rely on our programs.

Cons

Don't really have cons - pretty good, rewarding job. I love what I do.

May 27, 2015 – HR Director

Thanks so much for posting the positive feedback! We love to hear from happy employees that love their job! Feel free to reach out to your HR Generalist in your division if you have any questions ... More

Good way to learn fundraising, terrible management

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn lots of fundraising strategies (albeit old ideas but still some good core approaches), ability to manage others, good cause, access to a variety of small and large businesses, forces you to learn how to build relationships quickly with lots of different people from various backgrounds. decent salary and benefits.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, management not open to changing trends, unrealistic goals and expectations, upper management has no problem encouraging staff to flirt with sponsors to close the deal, lots of staff turnover.

May 27, 2015 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that you were able to learn fundraising strategies and be a part of our mission while at MDA. I'm disappointed to hear that your experience resulted ... More

MDA is a fantastic Organization to work for, the work environment is positive and the culture is forward thinking.

Current Employee - Director of Business Development
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development

Pros

If you’re skilled and motivated, MDA is a great Organization to leave your mark. Management is open to meaningful changes that directly impact Organizational efficiencies, fundraising initiatives and better stewardship of contributor’s dollars towards services. Employees must be prepared to execute their ideas however, tangible actions are highly valued. If you’re motivated, MDA is a great Organization to sharpen your skill sets. Management is willing to invest in employee's learning and development. Overall, Management is extremely invested in establishing MDA as an employer of choice across the industry; it's refreshing to be a part of that culture.

Cons

The hours can be very seasonal, and long. 8+ hour work days are common during the busiest months of the year. Because pay in nonprofit is culturally low, the Organization is often forced to hire candidates with little experience who often use the Organization as a way to jump-start their career. As a result, staff turnover can be high and there is less professional experience than I would prefer.

Advice to Management

Allowing employees to work flextime schedules, specifically after busy seasonal periods, would drastically help increase work/life balance across the Organization.

May 27, 2015 – HR Director

Thanks so much for your feedback! We monitor this site closely and appreciate the comments. We know the work/life balance can be challenging during some of the busy months and are looking into a ... More

Healthcare service coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Awesome patients, good cause, fun local work environment

Cons

Corrupt upper level management, excessive turnover (employees quitting not being fired) micromanagement from under qualified employees

Advice to Management

Give more authority to local directors, that's what you've hired them for. Cut out the regional director role or limit their involvement.

Great mission, poor management

Former Employee - Area Director
    Former Employee - Area Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Families at MDA are incredible. They motivate you and truly show how important the mission of MDA is. The relationships you build make you want to go above and beyond to help improve their lives. You also have an opportunity to share a wonderful mission with your sponsors, which is so rewarding. You also get to work with really committed sponsors and wonderful committee members. Some of them have been involved for years and years, which is great for institutional knowledge. Onboarding has improved with standardized orientation and programs. This has eliminated a lot of redundancies and hopefully will help leverage some existing partnerships from one market to another. They are making needed investments in technology, although things like wifi and color printing still don't exist! There are teams developing modern collateral and graphics to use to bring the brand of MDA into the 21st century (although getting your hands on some of the new stuff is almost impossible and the time it takes to get something from graphic design is about 6 weeks, which isn't great). Summer hours and lots of vacation time are appreciated. Town-hall style bi-monthly webinars from the CEO give some insight to the strategic plan for the organization.

Cons

MDA has a critical management problem. Performance standards are implemented arbitrarily and poorly performing staff never seem to be replaced. It's a gossip-factory and no one seems all that happy to be going to work. Management is poorly trained and has no real oversight in terms of how they're running an office so bad managers are left in place for a long time. You can have a terrible manager, vocalize that there are issues, and nothing is done. This is the same story in multiple districts, with multiple staff members, so it's not an isolated incident. There's no pipeline for innovation or new ideas, in part because you're so busy trying to cover huge geographic territories and large volumes of work that you have no time to try anything new. There's also a move to standardize everything, but there's not enough staff to support that, so things take much longer than they should (for example, you will wait 4 weeks to get color copies printed and shipped to you from the national team). Work life balance is a joke. Get ready to burn yourself out and gain 30 pounds. There is 3x the workload for any one employee, and you'll be working long hours, nights, and weekends with no flex time. Summer hours are great except most staff can't use them because they have fill the boot events on Friday evenings. It would be great if you could use them on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon. Salaries are so low that good employees leave quickly for a better paying job and it's hard to attract good candidates who can help advance the fundraising success of the organization. Multiple reorgs have killed team morale and were penny-wise, pound foolish. There aren't enough people left to do the job and the people who have remained are the ones who can't make it elsewhere. The months it takes to fill a position mean the work falls to other already over-taxed team members so it's a revolving door with no stop in sight. On one company-wide conference call the CEO told a participating staff member that "there would be raises when field staff earned enough money to get them." Hard to stomach when the CEO is making half a million dollars a year. There is little room for upward mobility or career development - district offices are pretty flat and there are not advancing positions within the organization (likely because there's no money for the raises that would come with it). So, if you're talented, you grow out of your position quickly and are no longer challenged. There is no true staff appreciation - no raises for 6+ years, small bonuses that are secretly given out to some staff, no retirement match, and cuts, cuts, cuts to staff complements, benefits, etc. Moreover, there are not enough "Thank you's" or "good job's" ... it's really noteworthy and eats at you after you put in 60 hour weeks for months on end to pull something off. MDA's benefits package went from mediocre to poor this year, likely another cost-cutting measure. Our insurance quality declined, our retirement provider is terrible, and expenses for benefits went up. It's been several years of "tightening the belt" and employees are paying the price. Travel for work means you pay for it up front and wait 2-4 weeks to be reimbursed. You'll share hotel rooms, receive a pittance for meals, and will be asked to use public transportation for any travel under an hour. People seem to hate their jobs and their colleagues. It's not a pleasant place to work. Everyone has gripes and gossip, to the detriment of executing an event.

Advice to Management

Provide more staff feedback about management performance to gauge how an office is being run. Get in touch with today's market and figure out how to compensate staff as deserved. Offer more professional development opportunities to give high-performing staff members somewhere to go as their career advances.

Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

Not much Employees who have been there are passionate - not all though; some are there because they are comfortable Families Volunteers Corporate Accounts

Cons

A whole bunch Benefits are horrible - no sick time pool but dip into pto No flexibility in hours if working after 5 pm Employees are disgruntled Senior mgt is over confident

Does Not Meet Expectations

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very committed staff (most) - Passionate families and volunteers - Nice office space and they provide off site storage for event supplies, which is helpful

Cons

- Promotions and internal job placements lack transparency - Fundraising products/models are stale and difficult to position/retain in today's business world and the organization kowtows to major sponsors, regardless of how much more busy work it makes for the staff - Organization trying to frame themselves as a "Choice Employer" but benefits (# of PTO days, health care cost share, lack of retirement plan matching, etc.) don't compare to many other "Choice" nonprofits. - This organization isn't flexible with helping you balance out the weekend work. They rarely give a day off, even when you've worked 5-6 Saturdays in a row. (Yes, we know about "Summer Hours." They work great for the national office but those in the field who have Fill the Boot events every Friday never get to use them). Also, having to take 2 hours of precious PTO to go to a doctor appointment seems petty. - Organization refuses to adapt to today's volunteers, who want more of a sense of ownership in how they help. Policies are too staff focused. - Very little training. You were just expected to "know" what to do and how to do it. - There were thresholds to be recognized. Just acknowledge people for their hard work and efforts!

Advice to Management

Listen to the field staff. Invest in the field staff. Get to know the field staff. Show loyalty to the field staff. It all starts and ends with the field staff. Bring in external field leaders. Their ideas will be the most fresh for you to grow.

Work here if you like Drama

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

Good Cause, Great Swag (When allowed to be used)

Cons

What can I say DRAMA! DRAMA! DRAMA! I've been here less that three months. Two employees have quit. Several regional manger quit and was double teamed by two member of my team two weeks after I started.

Advice to Management

Cut the drama. Not one likes a work place like this.

RSS Feed </> Embed