Muscular Dystrophy Association

The Experience Will Get You Places......But First It Will Make You Miserable

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Benefits are good, families are amazing. Because you have to do many tasks outside of your own job, it prepares you for the next step in your career. Wonderful coworkers minus the upper management

Cons

I went to college to earn a degree where I could work in nonprofit. My first experience with a nonprofit agency was the Muscular Dystrophy Association and I will never work for another nonprofit thanks to them. I worked in a district with a very large budget. They run their employees into the ground and show no appreciation for them on the local level and very little recognition on the national level. In the year and 3 months I was there I watched 8 people leave one of which being me. Local management is very unprofessional, but believe they know everything. You are never compensated for working after normal business hours. You will get .50 for every mile you drive, and you will be driving around a lot! Do NOT believe the there will be room for growth because there isn't. The management will lead you to believe you will be moved up so you will continue to work hard, but they will snatch that right out from under you. Steve Derks has no personality and no idea what he is doing.

Treat your employees as people and not your slaves. Do not lie, cheat, and persuade to get your way. Be up front and maybe you would not have as much turnover

Rebuilding a Plane in Flight

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Staff are friendly and helpful; tend to be cooperative across distinct lines.
    The insurance and retirement options are good for non-profit work.
    Salaries are fair for the market.

Cons

There is a poor work/life balance for much of the year.
    There is extremely high turnover.
    Training is very often lacking in practical applications for account management.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Response

Aug 6, 2014HR

Thank you so much for your review. We value the feedback you have provided. We would like to take the opportunity to address your comment of "poor work/life balance for much of the year". MDA is ... More

Too much involvement from regional and divisional offices

Former Employee - Event Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Event Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people in district offices who are really focused on the families being served and raising the money necessary to support our research and services.

Cons

Lack of understanding from regional and divisional managers that what works in Los Angeles may not work in Topeka, and vice versa. No understanding of the hours put in from Executive Director to Administrative Assistant, i.e. you worked all day and then went straight to support group until 10pm? too bad you better be at work by 9am.

Listen to the district offices when they tell you why some programs work and others don't in their area. They live here, you don't.

Going down

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Medical, dental, vision, Vacay days, sick, personal 9-5 working hrs

Cons

Low pay. Upper management does not communicate well. Uneasy feeling about job security

Consider letting people know the truth about at you're doing

little training, lots of work, but also lots of freedom and comfort in sharing ideas, GREAT people

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

freedom, empowerment to share ideas, work with a diverse group of people

Cons

lots of weekend events, alot of work and reporting, but worth it

don't get too far removed from fundraising because there is constant change and if you are too far removed then you won't have the best ideas or the recent experience from which to draw your ideas/advice.

Do not work for this company!

Former Employee - Program Coordinator
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

The best thing are the client families that you help!

Cons

Horrible work-life balance! They expect you to drop everything, even last minute, to work nights and weekends with no comp days.
    Extremely unrealistic goals and expectations set by the regional office.
    Too much regional involvement in daily activities (multiple meetings with regional a week when you could have been doing your job)
    I had years of non profit experience before I worked for this company and this is by far the worst I've ever seen regarding "money focused" and they completely lose sight of "the cause".
    No feeling of job security.
    High turnover.
    Trained very poorly!

Administrative tasks are varied and interesting

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

At the end of the day you are fighting muscle disease and making lives better. After 5 years the time off is good. The job it self, the tasks and responsibilities are varied and interesting and can be challenging.

Cons

The constant turn over makes progress impossible. Constantly training someone new leaves no time to develop and grow. People beyond the office are beginning to listen but the people making the decisions, policies and programs have no clue how to do the jobs they are dictating to.

Don't roll out new ideas, programs, procedures until you trouble shoot and work out the problems.
    Field test or do more field testing before implementing new things.
    Listen to the people doing the job.
    Stop talking about what you're planning to do and start talking about what you are doing. Stop talking in vague buzz words and team speak and tell us what's going on with plain honest communication.

Interesting times

Former Contractor - Fundraising Coordinator in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Contractor - Fundraising Coordinator in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Great co-workers. Decent environment.

Cons

No training…. no upward movement… no hope

Get Florida offices together...

Administrative Assistant

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time

Pros

Good benefits, opportunity to make networking connections

Cons

Almost everything at the MDA is a "con" on my list including compensation, promotions - which don't happen, company values - they have no idea what their values are or where the organization is going, management - management that is hired is not qualified or have the appropriate experience.

Great mission, great cause.........but......

Former Employee - Divisional Director
    Former Employee - Divisional Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you view yourself as working for the families that MDA serves, it makes it almost worth it! The feeling of satisfaction knowing that you are making a positive impact in people's lives! The board has started to make some positive moves in terms of leadership changes but needs to continue.

Cons

The lack of stability for the past several years...never knowing (for sure) when the next "big" organizational change is coming and how it may impact you or your teams. The culture of secrecy in the organization...

The board and new CEO have brought some much needed change to the organization and I encourage them to continue with those changes but to adjust their focus. To date the focus has been on closing field offices and effectively reducing the number of qualified and successful fundraisers from the field at the same time expecting the same or even better fundraising results. I suggest taking a look at some of the senior leadership that is still hanging on who have been with the organization 30ish years but have not experienced success since the passing of the last successful CEO many years ago. These are the folks who have created the atmosphere of fear that many reviewers mention. Removing them and their bloated salaries would allow you to keep much needed fundraisers in the field. During the toughest times the organization went through several years ago, when salaries in the field were frozen they were still receiving bonuses and "other compensation" that the field never did see. Feel free to check out the annual reports from several years ago to verify that...

Muscular Dystrophy Association Photos