Muscular Dystrophy Association

Updated January 27, 2015
2.6

Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks
Steven M. Derks

Pros
  • I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits are good, families are amazing (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership (in 20 reviews)

• You are expected to work a crazy amount of nights and weekends with absolutely NO comp time in exchange (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Hard work but great team

Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Charleston, WV

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team,wonderful mission and they take care of you.

Cons

VERY lean so you will wear a lot of hats and they are trying to stay competitive

MDA is an AMAZING and REWARDING company to work for

Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - District Administrative Assistant in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's amazing coming to work each day knowing you are making a difference in someone's life! Additionally, MDA has the best benefits...hands down! Holiday pay, sick leave, personal days and an amazing vacation benefit. My last 2 jobs I had to wait 5 years to earn 3 weeks vacation...at MDA I earned 4 weeks in my 3rd year!

Cons

You work hard...all day! But at 5p it's time to go and what's left is waiting for you in the morning! Most times you're working on more than one event at a time...but each day is a chance to be successful...all for our families! Without us who do they have?

Keep up the great support! And thanks for recognizing our hard work, extra time, successes and so on! It means the world and truly makes all the difference. It makes me WANT to stay with MDA - knowing my efforts are noticed and therefore acknowledged.

Experiences to last a lifetime

Current Employee - Area Director
    Current Employee - Area Director

Pros

The impact you make and the people you meet will stay with you forever. If you "really get it" this job won't be just a job but so much more, it's something you can feel passionate about. It allows you to be creative, to make any program or event, just want you want it to be. You can take the ball and run with it and the people you touch throughout the process will end up touching you so much more! Working at MDA, you are surrounded by managers and co-workers who want you to succeed and are there to help you achieve your goals. The better you are at your job, the better it is for the company. It's a team environment and we are all here for the greater good of our families and mission.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, and it is tremendously difficult to find qulified employees to staff open positions. There is not a 403b match and raises are only offered with a promotion. That said, there is little room for growth without relocation unless the manager above you leaves his/ her position.

Sometimes the work takes over and there is not time for team building or team meetings and those are really important. I think conferences or divisional meetings are also important to learn from other districts.

Always working hard for our families for years but with no pay increases makes it tough for all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our families makes my job rewarding. MDA does help our families so much and it's nice to explain what we can provide for them.

Cons

Would like to see more rewards for the hard working support staff on all levels. It seems that the only hard work recognized is for management staff and support staff is left out for their hard efforts all together.

It's true that it's important to have good benefits, raise increases and a good work-life balance. I believe MDA is working on that. Let's consider why so many good people leave MDA in the same department repeatedly? Let's think and ponder that for a moment.

It's a great feeling knowing that what you do every single day makes someone else's life better!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Contributing to the greater good. I can't imagine ever working for a company that doesn't give back on the level that this one does.

Cons

We've been slow to embrace modern technology & methods. And sometimes a bit slow to train people on the new technology.

Keep the forward momentum going please! We are only as good as the tools we can utilize.

Great People, Grear Mission, Has Improved

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the people that I work with. They are like family. I have worked for other non profits and like that MDA's fundraising efforts are returned to clinic, research, and the people that it serves. Mr. Derks, the new CEO, has been very instrumental in moving the company in a more current/updated direction. The company has a lot of potential, but more changes are required now, for the future to help it to reach its growth potential.

Cons

Antiquated resources, tools, systems, and business and organization model
    Lack of accountability and fairness
    Micromanagement by leadership which hinders creativity and trust
    Lack of empowerment from leadership. A lot of people are either unqualified to do their position as new hires or tenured with outdated skills sets.

Promote fairness and accountability. Create how-to manuals for all duties and positions, were applicable. New HR onboarding system. Reimbursement for continued training or implement internal training for skill development. More PTO in lieu of salary increase. Equal time off for all, not tenure based. Those of us who are newer work just as hard, if not more, than our tenure counterparts and coworkers.

Keep up the changes in the positive, updated, and right direction.

Work hard. Play hard.

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

Pros

My office is the best in the country with a great culture and dynamic. We talk with and see wonderful sponsors and MDA clients daily and are reminded and thanked for our hard work. MDA's mission is to find treatments and cures and we are on our way. I have over 50 paid days off per year, a wealth of information at my fingertips and I am able to manage the health and work/life balance in my office with flex/comp days/hours. It is GREAT to be able to treat employees with time off for a job well done.

Cons

It's a non-profit so you go in knowing your salary isn't comparable to other careers out there BUT there is growth in the MDA and compensation is picking up. The MDA has seasons and some times of the year are harder than the others but if you are passionate about what you do, the time is worth it.

Mr. Steve Derks has turned the MDA around for the better. Keep the technology and professional materials coming! I have never felt more legitimate going into meetings than I have in the past few months. We do need raises and to re-implement our benefits structure and the board of directors and Mr. Derks is working in that direction.

PEASE READ! Don't be fooled by the most current reviews!

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

Pros

As a current employee, I am truly finding it hard to come up with a pro regarding my job as a fundraising coordinator, other than working with real families living with muscular dystrophy. With all of the jobs I've had, this is the absolute worst, and I'm not alone in this. DON'T BELIEVE THE CURRENT REVIEWS! I don't know where these "current reviews" came from, but I guarantee you they are from made-up accounts by the higher-ups at our national office, or certain employees were "asked" to write a positive review. PLEASE GO BACK TO EARLY 2014 OR ANYTIME IN 2013 TO READ THE REAL REVIEWS. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

Cons

Where to start... absolutely NO TRAINING. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I can only speak from a fundraising standpoint, but there hasn't been one REAL training from my first day here. Sure, they'll tell you you're going to have a seminar or webinar or a "special meeting from the divisional head" for training - and the trainings are BOGUS. I still can't formulate into words EXACTLY what I do here because I've had no training. I was sent to a New Hire Training a few months after I arrived - 3 days long and it was a sales seminar... I left sales to pursue fundraising - fantastic.

Now for when you get the job... there's no real history from previous employees left in a database anywhere for you to look at. So you come in to your new job, with copies of emails and other odd documents on a CD-ROM and you're supposed to magically understand how to do your job. OR BETTER YET, look through mountains of BINDERS where all of the pertinent information can be found regarding your job. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Oh, and did they tell you about the pay freeze that's been in place for the past 5 years? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME THAT WHEN THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB! Good luck with trying to move your life forward in this place - no pay increase, no bonus, no ability to move forward (and how would you anyway with no training).

Everyone in upper management should be ashamed of themselves - I've seen the salaries you're making compared to the pittance you pay field staff - and you're not even doing anything to deserve it! And if you are, try a little transparency. Your ridiculous nation-wide conference calls with all your business jargon and garbage is just that - garbage. You never answer a question directly and you never ACTUALLY GIVE US UPDATES. And such a shame too, because with your 30% turn-over rate, all your doing is preventing families from trusting anyone new, and causing sponsors and partners to feel at a loss when they have to explain their program all over again. Shame on you.

GET WITH IT. What are you all doing up there... helloooooo. So what? - you're giving us early leave during the month of July, HALF OF THE STAFF CAN'T EVEN USE IT BECAUSE IT'S THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.

Tell the truth. Get rid of the dead weight (ie. divisional staff that have been here way too long to understand and offer new fundraising methods). Stop the pay-freeze OR offer performance based bonuses. Develop REAL trainings. STOP looking for sales people - people come to the MDA looking to fundraise and you're turning them into car salesmen. Have divisional staff be more present and available to field staff OTHER than the Executive Directors.

START NOW.

WORST JOB EVER! Any "good"review is a fake!

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

SOME of the people with the disease get helped.

Cons

The supervisors treat VRC's like they are less than human. Goals are ridiculous. They talk down to u & often have company paid lunches in the office but NEVER ask the very FEW VRC's to join them. Very rude staff. They talk down to VRC's. They keep reducing the already reduced part time hours & will close the office whenever they feel like it making for even less hours & THEY DO NOT CARE. I asked a friend to do a story with the local news to expose the dark side of this comany & to expose the local temp agencies for sending out employees to this awful company!

Act like a human being

Nothing worth doing is easy

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

Work / life balance

Flexible hours

Autonomy

Cons

Micromanagement

Never-ending quota increases

Upper-level management with no clue

Lack of reward for district teams

Give lower level management a chance to show you what they are capable of doing. Just because a RC/DD has been with the company for 10 years doesn't mean they are the best for the job - especially if they have never worked for ANYONE else.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Photos