Muscular Dystrophy Association

www.mda.org

PEASE READ! Don't be fooled by the most current reviews!

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a current employee, I am truly finding it hard to come up with a pro regarding my job as a fundraising coordinator, other than working with real families living with muscular dystrophy. With all of the jobs I've had, this is the absolute worst, and I'm not alone in this. DON'T BELIEVE THE CURRENT REVIEWS! I don't know where these "current reviews" came from, but I guarantee you they are from made-up accounts by the higher-ups at our national office, or certain employees were "asked" to write a positive review. PLEASE GO BACK TO EARLY 2014 OR ANYTIME IN 2013 TO READ THE REAL REVIEWS. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

Cons

Where to start... absolutely NO TRAINING. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I can only speak from a fundraising standpoint, but there hasn't been one REAL training from my first day here. Sure, they'll tell you you're going to have a seminar or webinar or a "special meeting from the divisional head" for training - and the trainings are BOGUS. I still can't formulate into words EXACTLY what I do here because I've had no training. I was sent to a New Hire Training a few months after I arrived - 3 days long and it was a sales seminar... I left sales to pursue fundraising - fantastic.

Now for when you get the job... there's no real history from previous employees left in a database anywhere for you to look at. So you come in to your new job, with copies of emails and other odd documents on a CD-ROM and you're supposed to magically understand how to do your job. OR BETTER YET, look through mountains of BINDERS where all of the pertinent information can be found regarding your job. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Oh, and did they tell you about the pay freeze that's been in place for the past 5 years? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME THAT WHEN THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB! Good luck with trying to move your life forward in this place - no pay increase, no bonus, no ability to move forward (and how would you anyway with no training).

Everyone in upper management should be ashamed of themselves - I've seen the salaries you're making compared to the pittance you pay field staff - and you're not even doing anything to deserve it! And if you are, try a little transparency. Your ridiculous nation-wide conference calls with all your business jargon and garbage is just that - garbage. You never answer a question directly and you never ACTUALLY GIVE US UPDATES. And such a shame too, because with your 30% turn-over rate, all your doing is preventing families from trusting anyone new, and causing sponsors and partners to feel at a loss when they have to explain their program all over again. Shame on you.

GET WITH IT. What are you all doing up there... helloooooo. So what? - you're giving us early leave during the month of July, HALF OF THE STAFF CAN'T EVEN USE IT BECAUSE IT'S THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.

Tell the truth. Get rid of the dead weight (ie. divisional staff that have been here way too long to understand and offer new fundraising methods). Stop the pay-freeze OR offer performance based bonuses. Develop REAL trainings. STOP looking for sales people - people come to the MDA looking to fundraise and you're turning them into car salesmen. Have divisional staff be more present and available to field staff OTHER than the Executive Directors.

START NOW.

Do Not Work Here

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The mission, the sponsors, the families and some of your colleagues.

Cons

This organization is a mess. There are a lot of cons, too many to list really. The biggest problem is divisional management, many of them have been there a long time and perpetuate mistreatment of employees. The culture is horrible, shocking, degrading, and life-sucking. Turnover is the second biggest problem and is a direct result of horrible divisional management.

WAKE UP

Great resume builder, not ideal for long-term

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* There are clearly a host of Current Employees who have recently made it a point to do some PR by listing many "cons" on this site...take that info very, very cautiously. Do your own research (Charity Navigator).
    *Great and worthy mission
    *Some of the most deserving families. Seriously, this is what keeps you going amidst the chaos.
    *Every bank/gov't holiday is observed
    *Summer hours
    *Great opportunity to add in-demand experience to your resume (sponsorship sales, event facilitation, marketing, volunteer coordination, project management...). Very thankful for this because, combined with my previous experience, it allowed me to land an awesome opportunity elsewhere pretty quickly!

Cons

*Disconnected leadership, both internally and with the 21st century
    *Ambitious and lofty goals, but shallow knowledge on how to lead a team to such success (nationally, and as a result, regionally and locally).
    *Hard to sell/promote outdated brand. An internal survey revealed that the general public of young adults have NO CLUE what MDA is! They're working on this...but it will be a very long journey.
    *Unstable financial outlook = HIGH pressure on the field level to get $$$
    *No retirement contribution
    *No raises...nope...not even cost of living or merit based
    *Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership.
    *Quite honestly, it's just a hot mess internally. So often things would be last minute or unclear due to an intense scramble for much needed money. Also, because the organization is struggling to find its footing and invests nothing aside from annual salary in its employees, I would only advise working for MDA for the short-term to gain valuable experience. Run very quicly once you have some wins under your belt.

PLEASE, for the sake of the families you help, educate yourselves outside of MDA and encourage your staff at all levels to do the same. There's a flourishing fundraising world that is rebounding since the recession - relying on what worked 20 years ago is simply incompetent and obsolete at this point. Also, until you invest in your staff, your turnover will remain high and detrimental to long term success.

Mission rich job

Current Employee - Divisional Staff
    Current Employee - Divisional Staff

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers and clients/families we serve keep me coming to work everyday.
    Office culture varies greatly from office to office. Our office is fantastic.
    time off is good.

Cons

The company has been changing and has not found its own "culture" yet
    company continues to down size giving the remaining employees more work
    no pay raises in 6 years
    new staff are brought in at same pay as current staff who have been here for awhile with no pay raises
    no pay for performance
    no matching 403b
    no career advancement/opportunities (especially in administrative areas)
    no recognition unless you are bringing in $$
    you are only as good as your last event

Please stop the restructuring. enough is enough
    Pay for performance. adjust pay for people that have not received raises. Administrative staff are not 2nd class citizens

Too good to be true...

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Working as a temp employee everything is great!

Cons

Once you get hired on as a full time employee the cracks begin to show. Systems are ancient processes are outdated and there is no respect for Administrative assistants at all even though it's one of the most demanding positions. The pay does not equal the work load. And as an hourly employee you are not required to attend event after hours but are chastised if you don't attend. No accountability for anything!

Open your eyes and look around and learn from the great staff members that you have now and weed out the useless ones. A warm body doesn't equal a great employee.

Great families and an amazing mission, but leaves much to be desired if you are employed here.

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

Pros

The families- I personally have developed great relationships with many of our families... this is something that for me extends beyond MDA's bureaucracy. Working with these people is easily the best part of my job. I feel blessed to know that the money I work to raise is going to help find a cure for muscular dystrophy. Many of our long term sponsors are amazing, most notably our retail partners and firefighters.

Cons

Bloated, out of touch upper management, which plays favorites with employees in odd ways, such as passing competent and dedicated staff over for promotions in favor of others that are less able but who have been in place longer. An antiquated business model and hiring process. Like other non-profits, there is not very much money allocated to keeping up to date Compensation that is nowhere near market rates... as for a raise, forget about it. Benefits are terrible, as is vacation time (5 days of vacation in your first year of employment). Touts itself as an employer that "respects work-life balance", but this is far from the truth. Arbitrary and ever-changing territory lines make it difficult to engage new sponsors that you try to recruit- you are absolutely not allowed to "cross" territory lines, and are required to hand over new contacts located in that area over to the district office in that territory, even if you have a prior existing relationship. There is an odd focus on "signature programs" that are no longer relevant, are time sucks, and do not bring in very much money. It is difficult to engage or recruit top level donors or potential sponsors without support from the national office.

There have been MANY recent changes in the past two years that I have been employed here, nearly all for the better... however these are things that should have been changed a very long time ago, so it is hard to get excited about them. At other similar non-profits, these changes would have been a no-brainer.

You need to offer similar benefits as other non-profits (increased compensation, more PTO, flex time, improved technology in offices) to retain or attract top talent. Steve Derks is doing good work but changes need to roll out faster.

The Rewards Far Outweigh the Challegnes

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people you encounter while working at MDA are remarkable - from the families we serve, to the sponsors and colleagues who work along side you - the people are the best of the best.
    The work allows you to use all your talents and learn and discover new ones.
    The families made it all worthwhile.

Cons

MDA has been going through a lot of change and change is tough. The work is hard and demanding and not for everyone at every time of his/her life.

Create an environment of trust and respect that crosses all lines of the organization.

Great work experience, even better life experience.

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people that work at MDA, and especially the families that you get to work for, make each day worth it.
    You get to do various events and experiences that make it different than previous jobs and gives a strong growth of skills.

Cons

There has been a lot of change of the past several years and it's been tough. Smaller teams make it challenging for those trying to get everything done in the best way.

Follow through on what is said and remember your current team members are your strongest advocates and resource.

"The Mission is Everything"

Pros

At the heart of this organization is an unwavering passion to fulfill its mission of eliminating the world of muscle disease. The message is reflected in MDA's focus, its people and dedicated supporters. In a challenging fundraising environment, MDA has retained a generous health care package and made several changes to its time off policies to help foster a more sustainable work-life balance. MDA places a great deal of focus on promoting talented team members. The level of talent, drive and commitment of its workforce is astounding. The families that you meet and the stories of their courage are incredible. It is a very rewarding career.

Cons

Unlike some of their peer organizations, MDA is still trying to dig its way out of the damaging economic climate from the last five years and overcome some significant revenue losses. This has resulted in severe cutbacks, closure of field offices and has damaged the morale level. Its flagship fundraising campaigns have not kept pace with the changing demands in the marketplace which has also impacted revenue levels.

Although mission is the foundation to the organization, there needs to be a stronger sense of responsibility to the employees that are the backbone. The talent erosion over the past few years due to lack of adequate compensation is unfortunate. The efforts to improve the work/life balance are notable but employees are unable to take advantage of the opportunities due to the high expectations and round the clock emails.

Cold call business and community leaders and recruit them to become jailbirds to raise bail money for MDA.

Former Contractor - Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator
    Former Contractor - Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Comfortable station/desk. 1 day of training/coaching. 30 minute lunch (unpaid though). Friendly co-workers. Incentives to get you get jailbirds/nominations.

Cons

Cold-calling. Meeting quotas. Quota of 1 volunteer/hour. Temp position that's about 30 days. Adding personality & excitement to a long script without them hanging up/cutting you off (sales pitch). A little bit of people to call, so having to get nominations. Gatekeepers (especially doctor's offices, schools, and big companies) make it difficult to reach key leaders. Constantly sent to voice mail with no call backs. People are rude and get agitated if they've been called before. People are also busy, or just not interested in helping nonprofits. People say they'll check with their district manager and get back to you, when you have quotas to meet. People don't respond well to jail theme/ cheesy script

Incorporate mailing and email to get past gatekeepers. Start recruiting earlier. Change dates so it's not during vacation/busy times. Change script to be more conversational/ have interaction

Muscular Dystrophy Association Photos