Muscular Dystrophy Association

Updated November 18, 2014
2.6

Muscular Dystrophy Association President & CEO Steven M. Derks
Steven M. Derks

Pros
  • I knew I wanted to make a difference for the people that changed my outlook on life (in 17 reviews)

• Benefits are good, families are amazing (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership (in 20 reviews)

• You are expected to work a crazy amount of nights and weekends with absolutely NO comp time in exchange (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Mission rich job

Current Employee - Divisional Staff
    Current Employee - Divisional Staff

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers and clients/families we serve keep me coming to work everyday.
    Office culture varies greatly from office to office. Our office is fantastic.
    time off is good.

Cons

The company has been changing and has not found its own "culture" yet
    company continues to down size giving the remaining employees more work
    no pay raises in 6 years
    new staff are brought in at same pay as current staff who have been here for awhile with no pay raises
    no pay for performance
    no matching 403b
    no career advancement/opportunities (especially in administrative areas)
    no recognition unless you are bringing in $$
    you are only as good as your last event

Please stop the restructuring. enough is enough
    Pay for performance. adjust pay for people that have not received raises. Administrative staff are not 2nd class citizens

Great families and an amazing mission, but leaves much to be desired if you are employed here.

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The families- I personally have developed great relationships with many of our families... this is something that for me extends beyond MDA's bureaucracy. Working with these people is easily the best part of my job. I feel blessed to know that the money I work to raise is going to help find a cure for muscular dystrophy. Many of our long term sponsors are amazing, most notably our retail partners and firefighters.

Cons

Bloated, out of touch upper management, which plays favorites with employees in odd ways, such as passing competent and dedicated staff over for promotions in favor of others that are less able but who have been in place longer. An antiquated business model and hiring process. Like other non-profits, there is not very much money allocated to keeping up to date Compensation that is nowhere near market rates... as for a raise, forget about it. Benefits are terrible, as is vacation time (5 days of vacation in your first year of employment). Touts itself as an employer that "respects work-life balance", but this is far from the truth. Arbitrary and ever-changing territory lines make it difficult to engage new sponsors that you try to recruit- you are absolutely not allowed to "cross" territory lines, and are required to hand over new contacts located in that area over to the district office in that territory, even if you have a prior existing relationship. There is an odd focus on "signature programs" that are no longer relevant, are time sucks, and do not bring in very much money. It is difficult to engage or recruit top level donors or potential sponsors without support from the national office.

There have been MANY recent changes in the past two years that I have been employed here, nearly all for the better... however these are things that should have been changed a very long time ago, so it is hard to get excited about them. At other similar non-profits, these changes would have been a no-brainer.

You need to offer similar benefits as other non-profits (increased compensation, more PTO, flex time, improved technology in offices) to retain or attract top talent. Steve Derks is doing good work but changes need to roll out faster.

The Rewards Far Outweigh the Challegnes

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people you encounter while working at MDA are remarkable - from the families we serve, to the sponsors and colleagues who work along side you - the people are the best of the best.
    The work allows you to use all your talents and learn and discover new ones.
    The families made it all worthwhile.

Cons

MDA has been going through a lot of change and change is tough. The work is hard and demanding and not for everyone at every time of his/her life.

Create an environment of trust and respect that crosses all lines of the organization.

Cold call business and community leaders and recruit them to become jailbirds to raise bail money for MDA.

Former Employee - Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator
    Former Employee - Volunteer Recruitment Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission. Comfortable station/desk. 1 day of training/coaching. 30 minute lunch (unpaid though). Friendly co-workers. Incentives to get you get jailbirds/nominations.

Cons

Cold-calling. Meeting quotas. Quota of 1 volunteer/hour. Temp position that's about 30 days. Adding personality & excitement to a long script without them hanging up/cutting you off (sales pitch). A little bit of people to call, so having to get nominations. Gatekeepers (especially doctor's offices, schools, and big companies) make it difficult to reach key leaders. Constantly sent to voice mail with no call backs. People are rude and get agitated if they've been called before. People are also busy, or just not interested in helping nonprofits. People say they'll check with their district manager and get back to you, when you have quotas to meet. People don't respond well to jail theme/ cheesy script

Incorporate mailing and email to get past gatekeepers. Start recruiting earlier. Change dates so it's not during vacation/busy times. Change script to be more conversational/ have interaction

Fraudulent activity prevalent

Former Employee - Recruiter in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

The manager of this office allows recruiters to indicate they work for the venue which is hosting the lock up event. This practice continues despite my numerous complaints. It is nearly impossible to make your quota without taking advantage of this little trick. I was called out for doing what the most successful recruiter in the office does every day and was told I could not do it. Management does not listen and there is no documentation by recruiters. I have no idea how they report on activity since their recruiters do not document. Wa.y too much work for the money.

Listen to people who are older and wiser and have much more corporate experience than you do. Do not allow double standards. Rules apply to everyone.

Great mission, toxic management - on all levels.

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had the pleasure of working with a few great people that I would work with again if given the opportunity.

The families were my motivation! They are an amazing and unique group of people that I will keep in touch with for years to come!

Cons

Work load, stress level, LONG hours, unrealistic expectations, no respect from management, no matter how good you are/do it's never good enough.

No work life balance...all work all the time.

Micromanagement at its worst.

CHANGE IS GOOD!
    The only way this organization will make thrive again is for upper management to change! Either change the way they think, act and treat their employees or for several new people with new and fresh ideas to enter those positions. If you don't start treating your employees like they matter and you respect and appreciate all that they are doing, you will continue to receive reviews like these and have one of the highest turnover rates of all nonprofits!

Only of you really need a job

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The families were great. Some co-workers also very motivated and fun to be around.

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, poor compensation. No reason to work hard and meet your goals when the person next to you isnt. So much turnover and minimizing office staff increasing the work load of staff. They are putting money in the wrong places. No leadership on the district level. No growth opportunities as they keep cutting positions.

Clean house and try again. What you have isn't working.

Unfortunate State of Affairs

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Motivated to work for a cause to see hope in the eyes of those you strive to help.

Cons

Poor compensation, executive management, work life balance is non-existent, poor asset control.

Revisit compensation and leadership of both National and Divisional Offices.

A very structured work environment with great impact on patients and families.

Former Employee - Executive Director
    Former Employee - Executive Director

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very clearly stated goals
    Ability to make a difference in patient's lives
    Variety in daily tasks

Cons

Lots of phone work
    No flexibility in schedule
    Lots and lots of oversight and management

Simplify the mountains of rules, forms and procedures
    Allow people to match schedules to work load

Amazing mission, positive change underway

Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Manager in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great changes in place for organization that's regaining its edge as charity.

Cons

Heart-wrenching work fighting diseases that haven't had cures....but progress on the horizon.

Love the change underway.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Photos