Muscular Dystrophy Association Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
226 reviews filtered by

Experiences to last a lifetime

Current Employee - Area Director
    Current Employee - Area Director

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The impact you make and the people you meet will stay with you forever. If you "really get it" this job won't be just a job but so much more, it's something you can feel passionate about. It allows you to be creative, to make any program or event, just want you want it to be. You can take the ball and run with it and the people you touch throughout the process will end up touching you so much more! Working at MDA, you are surrounded by managers and co-workers who want you to succeed and are there to help you achieve your goals. The better you are at your job, the better it is for the company. It's a team environment and we are all here for the greater good of our families and mission.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover, and it is tremendously difficult to find qulified employees to staff open positions. There is not a 403b match and raises are only offered with a promotion. That said, there is little room for growth without relocation unless the manager above you leaves his/ her position.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the work takes over and there is not time for team building or team meetings and those are really important. I think conferences or divisional meetings are also important to learn from other districts.

PEASE READ! Don't be fooled by the most current reviews!

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a current employee, I am truly finding it hard to come up with a pro regarding my job as a fundraising coordinator, other than working with real families living with muscular dystrophy. With all of the jobs I've had, this is the absolute worst, and I'm not alone in this. DON'T BELIEVE THE CURRENT REVIEWS! I don't know where these "current reviews" came from, but I guarantee you they are from made-up accounts by the higher-ups at our national office, or certain employees were "asked" to write a positive review. PLEASE GO BACK TO EARLY 2014 OR ANYTIME IN 2013 TO READ THE REAL REVIEWS. YOU WON'T BE SORRY.

Cons

Where to start... absolutely NO TRAINING. Zero. Zilch. Nada. I can only speak from a fundraising standpoint, but there hasn't been one REAL training from my first day here. Sure, they'll tell you you're going to have a seminar or webinar or a "special meeting from the divisional head" for training - and the trainings are BOGUS. I still can't formulate into words EXACTLY what I do here because I've had no training. I was sent to a New Hire Training a few months after I arrived - 3 days long and it was a sales seminar... I left sales to pursue fundraising - fantastic.

Now for when you get the job... there's no real history from previous employees left in a database anywhere for you to look at. So you come in to your new job, with copies of emails and other odd documents on a CD-ROM and you're supposed to magically understand how to do your job. OR BETTER YET, look through mountains of BINDERS where all of the pertinent information can be found regarding your job. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

Oh, and did they tell you about the pay freeze that's been in place for the past 5 years? BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T TELL ME THAT WHEN THEY OFFERED ME THE JOB! Good luck with trying to move your life forward in this place - no pay increase, no bonus, no ability to move forward (and how would you anyway with no training).

Advice to Management

Everyone in upper management should be ashamed of themselves - I've seen the salaries you're making compared to the pittance you pay field staff - and you're not even doing anything to deserve it! And if you are, try a little transparency. Your ridiculous nation-wide conference calls with all your business jargon and garbage is just that - garbage. You never answer a question directly and you never ACTUALLY GIVE US UPDATES. And such a shame too, because with your 30% turn-over rate, all your doing is preventing families from trusting anyone new, and causing sponsors and partners to feel at a loss when they have to explain their program all over again. Shame on you.

GET WITH IT. What are you all doing up there... helloooooo. So what? - you're giving us early leave during the month of July, HALF OF THE STAFF CAN'T EVEN USE IT BECAUSE IT'S THE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.

Tell the truth. Get rid of the dead weight (ie. divisional staff that have been here way too long to understand and offer new fundraising methods). Stop the pay-freeze OR offer performance based bonuses. Develop REAL trainings. STOP looking for sales people - people come to the MDA looking to fundraise and you're turning them into car salesmen. Have divisional staff be more present and available to field staff OTHER than the Executive Directors.

START NOW.

Always working hard for our families for years but with no pay increases makes it tough for all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our families makes my job rewarding. MDA does help our families so much and it's nice to explain what we can provide for them.

Cons

Would like to see more rewards for the hard working support staff on all levels. It seems that the only hard work recognized is for management staff and support staff is left out for their hard efforts all together.

Advice to Management

It's true that it's important to have good benefits, raise increases and a good work-life balance. I believe MDA is working on that. Let's consider why so many good people leave MDA in the same department repeatedly? Let's think and ponder that for a moment.

Great resume builder, not ideal for long-term

Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator
    Former Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I worked at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* There are clearly a host of Current Employees who have recently made it a point to do some PR by listing many "cons" on this site...take that info very, very cautiously. Do your own research (Charity Navigator).
    *Great and worthy mission
    *Some of the most deserving families. Seriously, this is what keeps you going amidst the chaos.
    *Every bank/gov't holiday is observed
    *Summer hours
    *Great opportunity to add in-demand experience to your resume (sponsorship sales, event facilitation, marketing, volunteer coordination, project management...). Very thankful for this because, combined with my previous experience, it allowed me to land an awesome opportunity elsewhere pretty quickly!

Cons

*Disconnected leadership, both internally and with the 21st century
    *Ambitious and lofty goals, but shallow knowledge on how to lead a team to such success (nationally, and as a result, regionally and locally).
    *Hard to sell/promote outdated brand. An internal survey revealed that the general public of young adults have NO CLUE what MDA is! They're working on this...but it will be a very long journey.
    *Unstable financial outlook = HIGH pressure on the field level to get $$$
    *No retirement contribution
    *No raises...nope...not even cost of living or merit based
    *Potential for nonexistent work-life-balance during busy seasons depending on local leadership.
    *Quite honestly, it's just a hot mess internally. So often things would be last minute or unclear due to an intense scramble for much needed money. Also, because the organization is struggling to find its footing and invests nothing aside from annual salary in its employees, I would only advise working for MDA for the short-term to gain valuable experience. Run very quicly once you have some wins under your belt.

Advice to Management

PLEASE, for the sake of the families you help, educate yourselves outside of MDA and encourage your staff at all levels to do the same. There's a flourishing fundraising world that is rebounding since the recession - relying on what worked 20 years ago is simply incompetent and obsolete at this point. Also, until you invest in your staff, your turnover will remain high and detrimental to long term success.

It's a great feeling knowing that what you do every single day makes someone else's life better!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Contributing to the greater good. I can't imagine ever working for a company that doesn't give back on the level that this one does.

Cons

We've been slow to embrace modern technology & methods. And sometimes a bit slow to train people on the new technology.

Advice to Management

Keep the forward momentum going please! We are only as good as the tools we can utilize.

Great People, Grear Mission, Has Improved

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

I love the people that I work with. They are like family. I have worked for other non profits and like that MDA's fundraising efforts are returned to clinic, research, and the people that it serves. Mr. Derks, the new CEO, has been very instrumental in moving the company in a more current/updated direction. The company has a lot of potential, but more changes are required now, for the future to help it to reach its growth potential.

Cons

Antiquated resources, tools, systems, and business and organization model
    Lack of accountability and fairness
    Micromanagement by leadership which hinders creativity and trust
    Lack of empowerment from leadership. A lot of people are either unqualified to do their position as new hires or tenured with outdated skills sets.

Advice to Management

Promote fairness and accountability. Create how-to manuals for all duties and positions, were applicable. New HR onboarding system. Reimbursement for continued training or implement internal training for skill development. More PTO in lieu of salary increase. Equal time off for all, not tenure based. Those of us who are newer work just as hard, if not more, than our tenure counterparts and coworkers.

Keep up the changes in the positive, updated, and right direction.

8. Nothing worth doing is easy

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association

Pros

Work / life balance

Flexible hours

Autonomy

Cons

Micromanagement

Never-ending quota increases

Upper-level management with no clue

Lack of reward for district teams

Advice to Management

Give lower level management a chance to show you what they are capable of doing. Just because a RC/DD has been with the company for 10 years doesn't mean they are the best for the job - especially if they have never worked for ANYONE else.

9. Do Not Work Here

Current Employee - Fundraising Coordinator

I have been working at Muscular Dystrophy Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission, the sponsors, the families and some of your colleagues.

Cons

This organization is a mess. There are a lot of cons, too many to list really. The biggest problem is divisional management, many of them have been there a long time and perpetuate mistreatment of employees. The culture is horrible, shocking, degrading, and life-sucking. Turnover is the second biggest problem and is a direct result of horrible divisional management.

Advice to Management

WAKE UP

10. Too good to be true...

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Working as a temp employee everything is great!

Cons

Once you get hired on as a full time employee the cracks begin to show. Systems are ancient processes are outdated and there is no respect for Administrative assistants at all even though it's one of the most demanding positions. The pay does not equal the work load. And as an hourly employee you are not required to attend event after hours but are chastised if you don't attend. No accountability for anything!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and look around and learn from the great staff members that you have now and weed out the useless ones. A warm body doesn't equal a great employee.

"The Mission is Everything"

Pros

At the heart of this organization is an unwavering passion to fulfill its mission of eliminating the world of muscle disease. The message is reflected in MDA's focus, its people and dedicated supporters. In a challenging fundraising environment, MDA has retained a generous health care package and made several changes to its time off policies to help foster a more sustainable work-life balance. MDA places a great deal of focus on promoting talented team members. The level of talent, drive and commitment of its workforce is astounding. The families that you meet and the stories of their courage are incredible. It is a very rewarding career.

Cons

Unlike some of their peer organizations, MDA is still trying to dig its way out of the damaging economic climate from the last five years and overcome some significant revenue losses. This has resulted in severe cutbacks, closure of field offices and has damaged the morale level. Its flagship fundraising campaigns have not kept pace with the changing demands in the marketplace which has also impacted revenue levels.

Advice to Management

Although mission is the foundation to the organization, there needs to be a stronger sense of responsibility to the employees that are the backbone. The talent erosion over the past few years due to lack of adequate compensation is unfortunate. The efforts to improve the work/life balance are notable but employees are unable to take advantage of the opportunities due to the high expectations and round the clock emails.

Muscular Dystrophy Association Photos