Museum of Science

Museum of Science President & Director Ioannis (Yannis) Miaoulis

Ioannis (Yannis) Miaoulis

Mission-driven organization

Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe goals and work of the museum are inspiring. The benefits are good and depending on the department you work in there can be opportunities for flexibility in schedules and an understanding of the need for work/life balance.

ConsAs with many non-profits, business sense is lacking. The museum is needlessly slow to change. There is little strategic planning that actually gets implemented across the institution, though there's often much talk of business and strategic planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible. Learn from the successful programs you have and apply these ideas to other parts of the organization.

Attractive Workplace, Low Pay, Not Much Opportunity

Research Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMOS was a cool work environment. Visually nice work spaces although overcrowded (5 people to an open pod). Full access to explore the museum and free passes for friends, which I really enjoyed. People are nice. The work was fine, although not particularly rewarding, and the research wasn't very rigorous. Work/life balance isn't an issue.

ConsThe museum field is small, so people are super happy to get a job at MOS and don't leave, although pay is really low - but the chances or getting work at another museum are also really low. There isn't much opportunity for promotion or pay increases.

Work can be slow. Team members were often bottlenecks in the process and I spent a lot of time waiting for work to come in. Trying to stay busy with nothing to do got to be very tedious.

Micromanagement can be an issue and there's always a scramble for funding.

Fun job... Horrible management

Visitor Services Representative (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsCoworkers are great and the views from some of the spaces and exhibits in the museum are astounding helping visitors from around the world is a definite perk of the job as we'll

ConsUpper level management staff in the visitor services department are horrendous and are severely lacking in communication skills with guests and employees

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff before making changes that effect them and learn how to effectively communicate with people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome Co-Workers, Questionable Upper Management

IT Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMost of the staff I interacted with clearly enjoyed their jobs and working at the Museum. The IT department in particular gelled really well and was both efficient and fun to work with.

The Museum doesn't pay interns much, but offers free parking, and free admission to most of the museums in Boston, plus it's a prestigious non-profit to have on your resume.

ConsLow pay, but that's basically expected. Unfortunately the upper level management, and in particular the president, seem disconnected. He ordered from IT a very expensive Mac Desktop PC, configured with some video editing and education software, which he had apparently sent to his house - He already had a new laptop, and a desktop in his office. This was at a time when there was a pay and hiring freeze.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's disheartening to your staff when they're working very hard for lower pay because they care about the mission of the institution, and you're making a very large amount of money, and openly flaunting it's availability to you when you're asking you staff to take cuts.

Overall, for a non-profit, I have had a good experience at the museum

ProsThe museum has pretty good benefits, and the lower level coworkers are pretty awesome. Also, Im constantly learning because my coworkers are some of the smartest people I've ever met.

ConsI get really frustrated with the upper level folks at times. In truth, they all mean well, but when they are set in their ways, it is hard to be innovative -- I'm a bit jaded at this point. Also, my work place does not have any windows. Lack of sun light = the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it's okay to trust your younger staff.

Is all about the PROFIT

Former Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsMet many nice people throughout the years, including volunteers. Close to public transportation, free parking.

ConsLow pay, bad and overpay management from top to lower managers; including HR department which does not protect employees. Museum is run down, most exhibits are old and boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and HR, earn how to manage instead of protecting your own ass and keep a paycheck. Spend some money to update the museum, your profit will come. Food sucks and overprice.

great

Data Entry Operator (Current Employee)

ProsGood values in the Museum's core mission.
    Top notch development/advancement office
    Great resume builder

ConsLack of diversity in office spaces
    Better pay then most museums in the area, not enough to cover the cost of living in Boston.

Fast paced, lots of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe mission of the organization, coworkers, opportunities to work on lots of different technologies, great variety in the types of IT projects

ConsLack of overall organizational strategic focus to align priorities within individual departments and programs creating high-demand for IT services without adequate governance

Advice to Senior ManagementMore stringent strategic governance should be put in place or adequate funding to accommodate all technology project requests (and increase staffing levels as needed). IT should not have to feel obliged to accommodate last-minute high-priority requests without dropping other projects; this can lead to morale issues due to the high stress.

Solid highschool internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHelping out visitors and showing them cool things. Also get access to all the exhibits which is very nice.

Consit can be tiring to work at the same exhibit everyday.

Great institution, pretty good workplace

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool place, valuable mission, interesting coworkers, some nice views of the Charles River depending on where you work.

ConsA lot of workspaces are run down, shabby, a bit depressing. Parking is subsidized, but mass transit isn't. I knew people who drove when they'd prefer to take the T. The culture can be pretty unwelcoming of new ideas. People seem pretty concerned about hierarchy, bureaucratic processes.

Worked for Museum of Science? Contribute to the Community!