Music Choice

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Del Beccaro

Fast paced rapidly changing environment

ProsVery liberal and independent work environment with lots of opportunities to get involved in very interesting projects.

ConsThe expectations of newcomers is very high. If you care not a strong "find your own way" type of person you may struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the on-boarding process as well as the ramp up period. Look into ways of ensuring that the staff that is going in the right direction does not get lumped into the staff that is not.

Exciting products, diverse technologies and great people

Senior Applications Architect (Former Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsManagement has a family oriented style and culture. Respect and open communication. Great work-life balance, decent compensation and strong benefits package.

ConsYou work with cable companies, sorry!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to refine good engineering practices throughout the organization.

Interesting Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou are given the ability to work independently and learn about multiple genres of music. It has a central location so all travel is extremely easy when it comes to commuting.

ConsThe culture of the company is extremely negative. Although it seems to glitter like gold for younger people breaking into the industry, it is an extremely difficult place to work due to the negative feedback and attitudes of the senior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more open dialogue with employees on all levels. Assistants matter too.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMany friendly staff members, near Penn station, diverse staff in NY office, interior has lots of color, light and windows, tons of organized "fun" events for employees, lunch room heavily used for connecting with other staff, friendly CEO and VP's are down to earth and like to connect personally with staff, open communication policy of company news by CEO, great perks like parties and swag, casual clothes policy, good company benefits for associates.

ConsSuper high staff turnover due to large number of lay-offs and firings, job insecurity creates low morale and an environment of fear, poor management/leadership skills in some mid-level and team managers, little room for advancement in some departments, bar for incremental promotions is extremely high and very subjective, associate salaries are about 15-20% lower than local industry standards, a youth-obessed culture (you're "old" by age 28), negativity, criticalness of others and condescension conducted and valued by some managers and staff, entry-level staff "assistants" receive minimal benefits and receive low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess staff turnover would increase staff productivity and morale, and encourage solid performers to stay with Music Choice instead of seeking out other opportunities.

Overall it was a good experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClose-knit culture, room to learn and grow personal skill-sets, all management is accessible to all worker levels.

Constoo many meetings, unfocused, difficult to see projects through completion due to ever-changing requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your staff...There are many talented people at the company... Let them do what they do best.

Perpetually behind

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey don't technically keep track of vacation days. Use em, everyone else does.

ConsVery disorganized. Upper management is constantly changing priorities making it hard for work to be efficient. People are underpaid & much is expected from them. Often times the associates are doing far more work than the people they report to which I suppose isn't all that uncommon in the industry.

Departments are often not on the same page.

They like to refer to themselves as 'scrappy' which is another word for 'disorganized' and trying to put things together last minute.

Employees are complacent & often have bad attitudes but those are often times the folks who succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out what is really going on. It often seems like they don't really know who is working for them.

Wonderful and innovative experience.

AR Cash Applications Specialist (Current Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsMC provides a very exciting work environment . The work is challenging and innovative and creative ideas are encouraged. I found this company to provide excellent communication to it's employees regarding company business. The CEO is down to earth and easy to talk to.

ConsIn the particular department I worked, we would have weekly meetings on our progress. I think this is a bit excessive. I think a monthly recap meeting would be sufficient.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work in making this company a force to be reckoned with.

Good place to work, but limited opportunities for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Horsham, PA

ProsIt is a dynamic and innovative organization with a solid financial foundation. It is a great place to work for someone who can work independently, is contribution-driven, likes to impact change and is very flexible.

ConsMost of the senior staff has been here since the beginning and still have at least 10-15 years in their careers, and so there is no secession planning for the next generation of senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be more employee development and career pathing based on each individual's core strengths, and personal and professional goals.

If you like working endless hours while being made to feel like you're not doing enough, you'll love Music Choice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the best (albeit mistreated) people you'll ever work with. Good benefits. Great 401k.

ConsNo work/life balance. Endless hours but you'll be made to feel like you're not doing enough. Meetings after meetings -- coworkers say that they don't really get to do any work until 5pm. CEO calls people out in front of others. Company Values system is often touted but ignored -- they tell you they don't tolerate mistreatment by anyone, yet one manager had complaints from his entire team as well as other employees from both the Horsham and NYC offices, but excuses were always made for him ("Oh, he's just a little rough around the edges."). YEARS later they finally got rid of him after he'd wasted tons of cash, then spent time in rehab for substance abuse, then caused several production problems -- all of which could've been avoided if the complaints had been listened to. CEO makes impossible demands and sets impossible deadlines, then looks for others to blame after the inevitable failure. He went after several people he called "primadonnas", including one who is a recognized expert in his field. One was told he was working on pet projects, when in fact everyone, including the CEO, was constantly aware of what he was working on (and it wasn't a pet project) -- in fact, he is a single father of 2 who was working 8 hours in the office and then another 6-8 at home, every night, as well as time on the weekends, for almost a year. Talk about not appreciating your employees. They tell you to speak up, but if they don't like what you have to say, you're dinged for being "negative". People were afraid by this point to speak up, and as a result MC released a revamped on-screen product that their CORE users universally hated -- they were deluged with negative feedback (including the longest chain of negatives I've ever seen on Facebook), but instead they're response was that ALL THOSE PEOPLE WERE WRONG. Then there were the results of screen burn-in -- also the "users fault", with MC claiming that, no matter what, burn-in could be possible (we nheyever received these complaints with the old version). It's not uncommon for someone to quit without any notice and just send a email saying they're done. Or for long-time employees to get fed up and quit without having anything new lined up. The company has lost more good people than most other companies ever had to begin with, yet refuses to correct the problems or take any blame for them. It's all the employees fault as far as they're concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice -- management won't listen. My advice to the board of directors: get rid of the CEO.

Poor work/life balance, employees treated with disrespect by senior management

ProsGreat people outside of senior management. Interesting technology and ideas. Good benefits.

ConsThe company has a values policy that states that people should be treated with respect, but this policy is overlooked/ignored when it is not convenient. Lewd behavior and language at the very top from the CEO. Employees are treated less like people and more like property. Very poor work/life balance. Unrealistic deadlines that require insanely long hours and 7-day work weeks, only to have the deadlines pushed and pushed again and the employees told that this sort of situation won't be forced on them again. One of the financial employees recommended us for a local "Top Employers To Work For" rating, and we were e-mailed the address to vote at, and told it was being kept record of by our e-mail address -- this led me to believe that they'd know if I didn't vote for the company. I wonder how many of us voted out of fear of reprisal. Take a look at the other reviews here: high numbers, but a lot of cons are mentioned.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach. And grow up.

Worked for Music Choice? Contribute to the Community!