Music & Arts Center

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.3

Kenny O'Brien

Pros
  • The employee discounts are great (in 5 reviews)

• This job gives you a lot of customer service experience, in a trial by fire sense (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Keeping good employees below upper management was at one time an important consideration (in 8 reviews)

• Sales expectations are set way too high and the district manager doesn't have a sense of what's practical (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good starter job

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company atmosphere. Great benefits. Great staff. Flexible hours.

Cons

If you start on the retail track (and don't live in Maryland), it is very hard to become a corporate person.

A fun company for a musician short-term, but not a good long-term job

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Burke, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Burke, VA

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a good company to work for if youre a musician. The employee discounts are great. Majority of your co-workers are fun to be with.

Cons

Personally, I felt that I was cut short as far as pay goes. I was one of the top selling salespersons in the company and I kept getting paid the lower end. I was consistently The number one salesperson in my district as a part-time employee as well when I went full-time. As a part-timer, I was making 8/hr while everybody else was making 9/hr and when I was promoted to a full-timer, I was making 13/hr while others who are new-hires got started at 13.50/hr. Even though I make between 600-1200 every month from my commission, it still feels like a slap in the face that I got paid less than others who were not performing as well as I did.

There should be more work with upper management. The problem with my district manager in the past was that they were under-managing and my current district manager is overly micro-managing

Store managers should be paid more and treated better. Since ever I started working here, all my managers are overworked and not getting paid enough for what they do.

They no longer care about customers, just profit.

Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Representative

I have been working at Music & Arts Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is absolutely awesome. Introducing children to their first instrument is the greatest feeling. Most of the employees are nice. It's easy to request a day off work in advance.

Cons

We are forced to lie to customers about what they need, forced to over sell everything. Management is a useless position, because (at least at my store) part time workers do all of their work. With ten years of retail experience, I'm only making $8 an hour. We are severely underpaid for what we are expected to do.

Focus on customer service rather than profits.

I'm a "lifer".

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The manager training was a very positive experience for me, even having worked for the company for almost 5 years before becoming a manager.
    The people are hands down the best part of working here, everyone seems to genuinely care about each other.
    The benefits are also great, especially for full-time salespeople - they get the same benefits as managers.

Cons

The pacing of the year can be inconsistant - super busy during September, partial ghost-town for Q1. This makes the the work/life balance difficult to manage during the busy season, when managers often end up working 60+ hour work-weeks.

Fantastic People to Work With!!!

Current Employee - Educational Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Educational Sales Representative

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you don't mind sales and music retail there is a lot of opportunity within the company. If you start as a part time or full time retail associate and rock it out, it will not be long before management opportunity presents itself.
    Great jcompany to get into without a lot of skill set. You just need to love music!!

Cons

Overworked and underpaid!! There are constant initiatives coming at you, and very little down time. Hi burnout rate and high employee turnover.

Better bonus structure, better pay overall to all employees. Better training set-up.

Rah Rah style direction. Lots of work, no downtime.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people you work with in general are amazing people. Teachers, staff, even the customers are generally happy.
    You are generally trained very well.
    Good discounts on gear, and you get a full benefits package. (FT and up)
    You get to see a lot of kids actually enjoy music.

Cons

Where to start..the general idea of upper leadership is pretty much a "beat into submission" style. I was with the company 4 years and each year it gets progressively worse in terms of doing what actually matters for the customer. Like many corporate companies, the bottom line counts. Despite being good at meeting that line, your rewards for doing such are generally, you guessed it - more work (which is eloquently disguised). Taking time off can be nearly impossible as you are reminded of your responsibilities and are given and ever growing task list, must meet the needs of other employees, cater to the constant expectation of middle and upper management, and other departments the retail side works with. Every year more and more "ideas" get added to the monthly roster of initiatives and from August to December you are glued in to the business with the a rush of back to school clientele.

Local district meetings, conference calls, off site meetings, all add up to slowly remind you that you are working for a machine that ever stops eating. Welcome, to corporate America.

Work in a store for 7 day spurts 3-4 times a year. This would help anyone not forget the BS you put others through. Fast-track your technology resources. Match initiative to resources, if you don't have them, don't do it or gauge expectations accordingly. Always talk to store staff regarding goals, they are far more realistic goal setters than you. Don't interpret concern for negativity, being realistic prevents potential problems.

A nice place to work

Former Employee - Sales Temp in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Temp in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Music & Arts Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the management and the atmosphere. The staff are polite and pleasant to work with, and I wish they had not relocated, or else I would still work for them.

Cons

No real structure or chance for advancement.

Better training protocols, as well as a defined advancement tree.

Fun yet soulless.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is never a dull moment. Unlike other retail jobs, Music & Arts always has you on your feet. The teachers that work there are some of the best around and are great to talk with. You get to be around musicians of all types which adds to the experience for the customers. The resources to learn and grow in the company are there for people who look for it.

Cons

Extremely lackluster new hire training for a job that requires you to perform an endless amount of duties. Employees often are overworked and under appreciated at the store level and managers suffer the worst. Product training is out at the bottom of the list of things they care about right down there with maintaining the operations of the store. All too often, meetings are conducted that don't set clear objectives or distract us from other more important responsibilities. Sales expectations are set way too high and the district manager doesn't have a sense of what's practical. Feels like our DM takes the charge in micromanaging the sales associates more than her managers causing a blur in who's actually giving the right orders. Oh and time off? Forget it. In the 3 years I've been here I've been denied two vacations during the slow seasons due to terrible turnover and never having coverage. The "on" seasons (September thru December) are automatically denied due to the level of business. Turnover is consistent with low morale/bad hires and it's unusually high in our area.

Offer a development plan to your sales team that fosters the growth of them as an employee and what they do in their real life. Make a system so people can effectively coordinate time off while not suffering loss of business.

Great Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Great group of people to work for.
    -They care about you, so you care about them.
    -Great discounts on instruments and accessories.

Cons

Some of the systems are a bit dated and some procedures aren't as easy as they could be. Mostly the problems are stemming from the business growing rapidly.

Upper management should listen more to middle and lower management a little more often.

Experience can vary greatly depending on location and supervisor.

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have had a fantastic experience working for Music & Arts, but I consider myself a hard worker who tries hard to excel and got in at a great time. I owe much of my good experience to the fact that I have had a fantastic supervisor who takes time to provide personal development, growth opportunities, and occasions to meet with senior management.

Cons

Sometimes senior managers make decisions based on how it will impact their personal projects or incentivise their own team rather than looking out for the best interests of the company. I have worked on projects that have been critical or long overdue that have gotten de-funded in favor of a pet project for people with greater influence. Unfortunately, at my level I hear the direct complaints from other employees and customers about not having the basic resources they need.

There are certain departments who have an overall poisonus vibe, which rubs off on others. Many people try to avoid interacting with folks from these departments altogether in order to save themselves the stress and negativity.

Focus on development middle management and don't be afraid to make management changes to suck out the poison. Be open and honest about how departments and projects are budgeted.

Music & Arts Center Photos