Music & Arts Center

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.2

Kenny O'Brien

Pros
  • The employee discounts are great (in 5 reviews)

• This job gives you a lot of customer service experience, in a trial by fire sense (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management likes to throw their weight around, and the results are not enjoyable (in 9 reviews)

• Sales expectations are set way too high and the district manager doesn't have a sense of what's practical (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

fun

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Music & Arts Center

Pros

great environment, full of musicians.

Cons

the first week after training is difficult

I loved every minute of it.

Former Employee - Rental Contract Temp in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Rental Contract Temp in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Music & Arts Center as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation is minimum wage for a Rental Contract Temp, which is obviously to be expected. The people I worked with, including management were super friendly and helpful and made you feel welcome instantly.

Cons

Hard to gain a permanent part-time position at this location due to lack of funding for additional employees.

Ok for low level employee, terrible for managers

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager

I have been working at Music & Arts Center

Pros

Great starting hourly, decent sales if you're in a solid and established location. Great people

Cons

Moving up is awful. The store manager position doesn't pay nearly enough for the amount of hours and extra junk they make you do. New stores basically cannot make commission for 2-3 years because of way too lofty forecasting.

Pay your managers more. Fix forecasting, especially for new stores. Get out of the stone age with technology!

Good people, terrible upper management.

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time

Pros

Great people in the office itself, it is my favorite work experience. You will be expected to work hard but as long as you pull your weight you will definitely have some fun.

Cons

Upper management likes to throw their weight around, and the results are not enjoyable. More responsibilities, no extra compensation.

Great opportunities for those who don't mind hard work.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with and help are awesome! You get to help hundreds of kids learn to play music a year.

Cons

Hard work. This job is not for the faint of heart. A lot is expected of every employee and there is very little down time.

They don't care about the customer, just profit.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Key Holder in Yorktown, VA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate, Key Holder in Yorktown, VA

I have been working at Music & Arts Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Music and Arts has a great environment and very flexible schedules. It's an overall fun job, and you learn great sales techniques.

Cons

Management is a joke. The managers only care about profit, and will run any other employees into the ground in order to get their commission checks. Perhaps it's just my store, but they are perfectly fine with lying to customers and employees in order to make money. We are taught to rush through transactions that don't make the store money and focus on things that will. We are also expected to do things that should be the manager's job, such as training new employees and inputting teacher payroll.

Upper management needs to focus on keeping the customers happy, this company is running itself into the ground.

Good starter job

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Paramus, NJ

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company atmosphere. Great benefits. Great staff. Flexible hours.

Cons

If you start on the retail track (and don't live in Maryland), it is very hard to become a corporate person.

A fun company for a musician short-term, but not a good long-term job

Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Burke, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Associate in Burke, VA

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a good company to work for if youre a musician. The employee discounts are great. Majority of your co-workers are fun to be with.

Cons

Personally, I felt that I was cut short as far as pay goes. I was one of the top selling salespersons in the company and I kept getting paid the lower end. I was consistently The number one salesperson in my district as a part-time employee as well when I went full-time. As a part-timer, I was making 8/hr while everybody else was making 9/hr and when I was promoted to a full-timer, I was making 13/hr while others who are new-hires got started at 13.50/hr. Even though I make between 600-1200 every month from my commission, it still feels like a slap in the face that I got paid less than others who were not performing as well as I did.

There should be more work with upper management. The problem with my district manager in the past was that they were under-managing and my current district manager is overly micro-managing

Store managers should be paid more and treated better. Since ever I started working here, all my managers are overworked and not getting paid enough for what they do.

I'm a "lifer".

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The manager training was a very positive experience for me, even having worked for the company for almost 5 years before becoming a manager.
    The people are hands down the best part of working here, everyone seems to genuinely care about each other.
    The benefits are also great, especially for full-time salespeople - they get the same benefits as managers.

Cons

The pacing of the year can be inconsistant - super busy during September, partial ghost-town for Q1. This makes the the work/life balance difficult to manage during the busy season, when managers often end up working 60+ hour work-weeks.

Fantastic People to Work With!!!

Current Employee - Educational Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Educational Sales Representative

I have been working at Music & Arts Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you don't mind sales and music retail there is a lot of opportunity within the company. If you start as a part time or full time retail associate and rock it out, it will not be long before management opportunity presents itself.
    Great jcompany to get into without a lot of skill set. You just need to love music!!

Cons

Overworked and underpaid!! There are constant initiatives coming at you, and very little down time. Hi burnout rate and high employee turnover.

Better bonus structure, better pay overall to all employees. Better training set-up.

Music & Arts Center Photos